Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2011, 11:17   #301
BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

I have a Santro Xing 2011 model...

I am getting two different sound from the car.

1) from the front left hand side: Its like a rattling sound or like on of the panels have got loose and is vibrating... The noise varies and sometimes its not even there... Any clue what that is....

2) on come from the back behind the driver's seat: this started when i accessed the boot from the back of the car... It like a metal chain crumpling to the ground type sound.

I am not able to figure out the reason for the same... Please help me... It is like a torture while driving to hear that sound.

Recent changes: 1) installed the autocop system about 1 month ago. the first sound was coming before that and the second one just started recently like 10 days or so.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:23   #302
Senior - BHPian

Sound from Tyre (I think)

For some time now I have been hearing some noise coming from the right side of my Figo. This is some sort of "chit chit chit chit ..." noise - as if the tyre has something stuck to it which is hitting the road again and again. The noise sounds metallic and the chit chits are more frequent when the speed increases.

Also the noise is easier to hear when I am going past a high divider or a wall on the right. A wall on the left makes no difference. With windows down it is easier to hear than with windows up (almost inaudible).

I tried an experiment an paid attention when driving past high dividers and walls - whenever there is a cut etc. in dividers or walls, the noise usually doesn't come till the rear wheel is parallel to the divider/wall. Similarly if the wall is ending the noise usually doesn't stop till the rear wheel is past. therefore I suspect it has something to do with the rear wheel - the front wheel is fine.

I checked the rear right tyre the other day, there is nothing stuck to the tread so far as I can tell, but my examination was very basic - didn't even jack up the car.

My question is what can it be:
  1. Is it only the tyre or could it be something to do with bearings or other mechanicals.
  2. If it could be a nail or something stuck to the tyre then why am I not losing air at any significantly faster rate (compared to other tyres)
  3. Can small stones makes such noise - I mean I do have small stones stuck in the treads on all tyres. I found it futile to remove them - they come back.
  4. What are the odds that it could be dangerous - I have been driving with this for at least three months now.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:40   #303
Senior - BHPian

Stone stuck in the tread would cause such a noise. Take screwdriver and pry it out. The smaller ones don't make a noise, there has to be one which is sticking out a couple of mm. Not dangerous at all.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 20:38   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Stone stuck in the tread would cause such a noise. Take screwdriver and pry it out. The smaller ones don't make a noise, there has to be one which is sticking out a couple of mm. Not dangerous at all.

Thank you sir, I thought the same thing, but then I thought a stone should get out on its own in due course, given the relatively bad state of roads here. However it has been months now.

From what you have written I think it might also be some small size screw or something like that. I guess I'll take the car to a wash with hydraullic lift and then check (and get a wash as well).
Old 1st December 2011, 19:23   #305
Team-BHP Support

My Corsa's clutch has been replaced yesterday.

Now here's the bad part - after depressing the clutch, there is a distinct "tak" sound the moment my foot is off the clutch.

So, I press (the action) the clutch, it is fine.. when I taking the foot off, there's a "tak" sound just before the clutch is back to position.

The mechanic tried installing another set of clutch to check whether the issue was with the clutch but noise persists. Can someone please diagnose urgently?
Old 16th December 2011, 18:14   #306
BHPian

Another reason for A thump thump sound from the tyres:

After patching with a tubeless tyre kit the guy sometimes does not cut enough out of the rubber part inserted and that results in a thump thump sound.

On a side note I now realize that the multiple "punctures" I got "repaired" probably are under the scam category.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:58   #307
Senior - BHPian

During my trip to chennai last week i noticed alot of noise beyond 60kmph (Ghoooooo types) and at speeds beyond 80-100 even my dash started vibrating. I have a badly wornout tire on the back(left side only), In city limits i ignored the noise thinking it might be coming from the tire(plus i cant get to cross 60-80kmph in bangalore)

After going through this thread, i suspected the wheel bearing and decided to leave for the service. some time back the SA confirmed that the rear wheel bearing is gone(my car has run 39K now) and needs to be replaced.

One question i have now is, can the rear wheel bearing going bust cause the extra tire wear ? because i notice uneven wearing on the tire whose bearing had problems. the outer half my tread has surely become more bald than the inner half.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 28th December 2011 at 15:00.
Old 28th December 2011, 15:22   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Austin View Post
Friends,

Since this morning, on my i-10 Sportz Kappa-2, less than 5000 Kms done, i have been hearing this metal scraping noise for like 2 seconds...as part of shifting gears.

To be more precise, it's right at the moment, when i start removing my foot of the clutch (after having slotted to the intended gear) and start pressing on the gas.

Has me concerned a bit, any pointers guys ?

Guys this issue still persists and on close observation (with all windows rolled-up) it comes exactly when starting to press the gas pedal for about 2-3 seconds (Maybe after that the engine noise is loud enough to suppress this one).

Any pointers please ?
Old 30th December 2011, 13:18   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys this issue still persists and on close observation (with all windows rolled-up) it comes exactly when starting to press the gas pedal for about 2-3 seconds (Maybe after that the engine noise is loud enough to suppress this one).

Any pointers please ?
Are you sure it's a momentary noise and not a continuous one? Why I ask is because of the last sentence in your post.

Check while stationary with the engine off. It might be the clutch pulley making a squeaking/grinding noise.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th December 2011 at 13:19.
Old 30th December 2011, 18:10   #310
BHPian

Yeah, just checked, no noise whatsoever when stationary.
Old 31st December 2011, 14:08   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, just checked, no noise whatsoever when stationary.
Sorry I wasn't clearer in my post. Did you also check while stationary and engine on? If it's only coming with the engine on and throttle engaged, then it's not the clutch pulley.

Apologies for the crude analogies, but is the noise similar to a pin (the type we use to attach documents) shaking in a metal box, or more like two metal pieces rubbing against each other?

Also would be very helpful if you can isolate the general area the noise is coming from. If it's the engine bay and the pin-type noise, it might be a case of slight knocking in your engine.

Either case, if the issue is persistent, get it checked at A.S.S. as a precaution.
Old 31st December 2011, 14:14   #312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
During my trip to chennai last week i noticed alot of noise beyond 60kmph (Ghoooooo types) and at speeds beyond 80-100 even my dash started vibrating. I have a badly wornout tire on the back(left side only), In city limits i ignored the noise thinking it might be coming from the tire(plus i cant get to cross 60-80kmph in bangalore)

After going through this thread, i suspected the wheel bearing and decided to leave for the service. some time back the SA confirmed that the rear wheel bearing is gone(my car has run 39K now) and needs to be replaced.

One question i have now is, can the rear wheel bearing going bust cause the extra tire wear ? because i notice uneven wearing on the tire whose bearing had problems. the outer half my tread has surely become more bald than the inner half.
It depends, but a worn out bearing can cause a misaligned wheel or camber changes (Camber angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) . Based on that, the tread may wear out unevenly at the inner or outer edge. A properly aligned/cambered tyre wears out uniformly, from the centre tread outwards.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:13   #313
BHPian

I am getting a soft grinding kind of noise from the front right wheel only at speeds post 130KMPH. There is a marked point where the noise starts. Not sure if it is the wheel bearing.

please advise.
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:48   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
I am getting a soft grinding kind of noise from the front right wheel only at speeds post 130KMPH. There is a marked point where the noise starts. Not sure if it is the wheel bearing.

please advise.
Thought of providing all the info I could.

I am getting two sounds from my car:

1. A soft grinding kind of noise from the front right wheel only at speeds post 130KMPH. There is a marked speed after which the noise starts. I can replicate the sound every time I want to after that speed. Not sure if it is the wheel bearing.
2. When I try to pick up from a lower gear, I hear a whining noise, kind of like a lose nut allowing the Washer to rotate freely. The same sound is audible when I am trying to accelerate hard, ex trying to overtake another vehicle at high speed, if I don't downshift, I will get the noise.

See this post too -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2629379

Please advise.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:56   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
Thought of providing all the info I could.

I am getting two sounds from my car:

1. A soft grinding kind of noise from the front right wheel only at speeds post 130KMPH. There is a marked speed after which the noise starts. I can replicate the sound every time I want to after that speed. Not sure if it is the wheel bearing.
2. When I try to pick up from a lower gear, I hear a whining noise, kind of like a lose nut allowing the Washer to rotate freely. The same sound is audible when I am trying to accelerate hard, ex trying to overtake another vehicle at high speed, if I don't downshift, I will get the noise.

See this post too -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2629379

Please advise.
Bumping this thread again! Waiting for your suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks