Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 14:39   #151
Senior - BHPian

Have you looked here? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ats-sound.html

If not, go through the above thread. Maybe you'll get a clue as to what is causing that noise in your car.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th January 2010 at 14:42.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:19   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
After the previous service (@ 30K), she started making some nagging faint noise while driving on a little bad roads or during the brief period when she is on half clutch (around the biting point). My wife and I are pretty sure that it is due to some mechanical part not being tightened/screwed properly during the service.

it is not productive for him and he won't have the level of concern for my car as I have).
This could be some minor noise that the clutch release bearing could be making.Just check if you experience this noise with car standstill,engine running and clutch pedal slightly depressed

it could be possible that SOME OTHER NOISES were eliminated in the service and this has become teh only prominent one

the supervisor need not be a con-man;perhaps he is not an audiophile
Old 10th January 2010, 15:38   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Have you looked here? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ats-sound.html

If not, go through the above thread. Maybe you'll get a clue as to what is causing that noise in your car.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks for pointing me to this topic, will go through it in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
This could be some minor noise that the clutch release bearing could be making.Just check if you experience this noise with car standstill,engine running and clutch pedal slightly depressed

it could be possible that SOME OTHER NOISES were eliminated in the service and this has become teh only prominent one

the supervisor need not be a con-man;perhaps he is not an audiophile
Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head! I can hear this noise when the engine is running, vehicle is standstill and clutch is slightly pressed (almost biting point). What needs to be done to rectify this? I googled up "noise from clutch release bearing" and I found some articles that say - “Clutch Noises: are very often the result of conditions existing which are not a part or function of the clutch itself. They can often be resolved through modest corrections to release system components. Clutches removed from such installations very often have no defect and should have remained in service." So I guess I have to ask the service engineer to "make corrections to release system components"!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 10th January 2010 at 15:42.
Old 10th January 2010, 16:09   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head! I can hear this noise when the engine is running, vehicle is standstill and clutch is slightly pressed (almost biting point). What needs to be done to rectify this? I googled up "noise from clutch release bearing" and I found some articles that say - “Clutch Noises: are very often the result of conditions existing which are not a part or function of the clutch itself. They can often be resolved through modest corrections to release system components. Clutches removed from such installations very often have no defect and should have remained in service." So I guess I have to ask the service engineer to "make corrections to release system components"!
The search result that you posted above is similar to the definition of machine as described by Chatur Ramalingam in 3 Idiots

For the release bearing,don't do anything.I have been enduring this noise for 3.5 years and it has not increased.

BTW,did you ever drive the car through 1-1.5ft water and did you notice this noise after that?
Old 10th January 2010, 16:20   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The search result that you posted above is similar to the definition of machine as described by Chatur Ramalingam in 3 Idiots

For the release bearing,don't do anything.I have been enduring this noise for 3.5 years and it has not increased.

BTW,did you ever drive the car through 1-1.5ft water and did you notice this noise after that?
LOL yes similar to the definition of machine.

I have never tried driving the car through a river stream, if I did all water would be inside my car I guess. Do you recommend that?
Old 10th January 2010, 18:19   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

no no no,what I wanted to know was if you were driving through a flooded street.

When the car goes through fairly deep water,there is a chance of some water kissing the gearbox bottom and eventually the clutch plate and in some cases,the release bearing.Then the bearing begins to make some noiseHard to believe but true - it happened in my case.
Old 10th January 2010, 18:39   #157
BHPian

no no, I have not yet done such adventures. I might try such things once I have my off roader!!

But this noise started immediately after last service. Is it a possibility of this happening due to the high pressure water wash that happens during the service. (I don't think so, else many people would have the same problem wouldn't they).

Another point, the service engineer made a statement the moment he started my car "the clutch is not proper, the clutch plate and the cover needs to be changed. For now, it is okay. You can change it after some time". Can this have anything to do with the noise?
Old 10th January 2010, 21:29   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't believe this;a clutch cannot go phut in 30000 kms unless the driver rides the clutch

Anyways,just relax.Aaal izzz welll

Mods,I believe this thread must move to Technical Stuff

Last edited by vigsom : 10th January 2010 at 21:31. Reason: message to Mods
Old 10th January 2010, 23:16   #159
BHPian

I suspect the same Som. When I had given the vehicle for service last time, the service engineer had mentioned that the clutch needs an overhaul. I was surprised.

I have discussed this here, and have come to the conclusion that a clutch overhaul is not required right now. I do not find any symptoms of the clutch conking off. So for now even I am thinking "All izz Well".

Only the noise is bothering me right now, as mentioned it can be quite nagging.
Old 11th January 2010, 23:05   #160
BHPian

Problem identified and fixed - hopefully

After the failed attempt at the service station to identify the nagging noise, I was getting desperate to stop the noise.

After parking the car in the parking lot, I got down and started kicking all the wheel caps. I was suspecting that one of the wheel caps was lose and might be causing the noise.

When I was kicking the wheel caps, I noticed that while kicking the front left wheel, the nagging noise could be heard but not on the other wheels. I kicked on the rubber area of the wheel to confirm this (spared the wheel caps some kicks). When I held the left tip of the bumper with my hand and kicked, the noise was totally not there!! - problem identified. (Thanks God, there is nothing wrong with my clutch bearing assembly as suspected earlier).

Loosened the screw in the problem area, inserted some sponge there and screwed tight again. Started the engine, shifted to 1st gear and released the clutch till biting point with the brakes pressed hard, the vehicle was vibrating but no nagging noise.

Feels so nice to hear only the engine noise and no rattles. A small rattle changes the feel of the car.

I will know how well this works only when I take it out of parking lot and drive at good speeds on bad roads. Hope the sponge stays there for some time.

Picture below for clarification.
Attached Thumbnails
What's that sound?-nagging-noise.jpg  

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 11th January 2010 at 23:07.
Old 18th January 2010, 04:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Having gone through countless posts here regarding the abominable 'suspension thud', i feel it's time to add mine to the list!
Every time my Lancer goes over a medium or high bump or speedbreaker at anything more than a dead crawl, there's a loud - eh, thud from the left front. This happens just after the left front wheel crosses the crest of the bump - when it comes down to it's original position. I'm guessing it could be case of insufficient Rebound Damping. Or could it be something else like a worn out bush or link rod, or even a gone case strut!!? Nothing seems broken or leaking to the naked eye.
Any ideas or suggestions? I want to have some idea before I head to a mechanic for repairs.
Guys, any inputs on this one??
Old 18th January 2010, 11:02   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Guys, any inputs on this one??
Similar to what happened on my Verna but i dont remember what was replaced. Will check the bill & get back on this one by tomorrow (will have to search for the bill :P)
Old 18th January 2010, 14:58   #163
BHPian

Thanks man, Xehaust
Old 6th February 2010, 20:13   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My car : Six month old Alto LXi.

Sound : Steady tat tat tat tat from the dash/firewall side. A vibration kind of thing, more felt than heard really. Can't say if it is left/right/centre.

When : While the engine idles, whether it is cold or at normal temp, for the past few weeks, off and on. Disappears as the revs rise. Heard only from inside the cabin with the windows rolled up. Nothing is heard when we open the hood and listen inside.

Diagnosis by MSM : Comes from the mountings of the radiator fan motor, the bushes of which are loose. Said they will change the motor under warranty during the second service.

Could this be the correct reason? Because I have noted it comes irrespective of whether the fan is running or not. And I am planning a Bangalore trip before giving it for second service. The SA says I can go ahead, it is not an issue.
Quote:
Here is an update. They checked for the source of this sound during the second service. Tightened all possible belts/bolts/nuts, including the engine mounting,beds and the radiator fan bush. None of them seem to be the reason. It still comes off and on, but seems to have reduced somewhat.

They have determined however that it is not from the engine. As the work day was coming to a close, they have told me to drive for some more time and observe if it increases. Trouble is it is not coming constantly. It is not obvious at cold start, but can be felt if I drive for a short distance and then let it idle. After a longer drive of at least 1/2 hour or so, again it becomes very slight /disappears.
Quote:
I went back today to MSM for a different matter. I had a different senior technician check this sound. He listened for a few moments, released the hood latch and told me to indicate the state of the noise when he pressed a particular point. Then he went out, opened the hood and bent down inside as the engine idled, and immediately the noise stopped! When I indicated this to him, he came back to me and said it is coming from the left side engine bed, and the only solution is to replace it under warranty. Since the part was not readily available, they will inform me as soon as it comes. They said it can be done fairly quickly as there is no need to dismount the engine.

He told me I can drive the car as it is and there will be no problem other than annoyance, and get it done during third service too. But I would prefer to get it done as soon as the part arrives.
Here is the latest update. I got a call from MSM yesterday that the part (engine bed) had arrived and I can come in and get it replaced. I took the car to them today (6th Feb) and the replacement under warranty was done in a few hours. The issue is now resolved. They told me to observe for a few weeks and report back if it resurfaces.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:17   #165
BHPian

Hey fellows, need your help in sorting out a jet engine like sound coming from my Indica V2 (has run 1.3x Lac Kms) when driven at speeds > 40 Km/hr. It comes from the rear right side and the intensity of the noise is directly proportional to the speed. At speeds > 70, it feels like I am piloting a jet that is about to take off!

I guessed it's cause of some fault in the rear right wheel ball bearings. I got them changed, and the sound decreased for a while but again came back. So I'm again confused.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks