Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 01:07   #676
Senior - BHPian

Hi Team Mates,

I filled Nitrogen gas, It is to be 2monts on next week. So far there is no refill. It works well. No problem of gs leak. Let me check next week and report how much was the top up.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:58   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Team Mates,

I filled Nitrogen gas, It is to be 2monts on next week. So far there is no refill. It works well. No problem of gs leak. Let me check next week and report how much was the top up.
Navan Sir, how did you know that there is no air loss? did you check it?
Old 18th December 2009, 09:05   #678
Senior - BHPian

Dear Elantra,

I will Check the air next week only. By look of the inflation and the drive comfort and feel on the potholes I feel there is not much air loss. Any how wait for a week for the real report.
Old 25th December 2009, 15:51   #679
BHPian

@ All
Any gas will eventually will leak out if its at a higher pressure than the ambient pressure outside. Non gas permiable lining on inside of tyre is only way to stop that from happening. Another thing that Nitrogen filled tyres heat less thats solely because of the fact that nitrogen doesnt have water vapours coz they die during the process of compressing nitrogen. Humid air whereas has 2% water vapour and the fact that its next to nothing means there wont be any noticable difference between heating of tyre, if you fill nitrogen or moist air.
There are tyre change places which have vapour elimination system abroad. They work much better than nitrogen. I dont know about them in inidia. Trust me Dry air is best for our tyres.
Old 25th December 2009, 18:22   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicspsyche View Post
...... Trust me Dry air is best for our tyres.
You're swinging to the other extreme.
It's not a debaten about what is 'best' for our tyres, it's about whether Nitrogen gives tangible benefits as compared to dry air.
Surely there is no argument to support your claim about dry air being better than Nitrogen?!
Old 25th December 2009, 19:57   #681
BHPian

My car has N2 now, how? Read this..

I filled normal air in June 07 in all tyres of my car. It contained 78% Nitrogen. So remaining 22% leaked during subsequent use. Because Nitrogen will leak at the last ( theory proposed by some people). I toped up all tyres. So remaing 22% has 78% nitrogen again. So now original 78% + 17.16% (78% of 22% topup) = 95% of nitrogen. Now after continues top up for last 2.5 years, it's all nitrogen .

Please forgive me.
Old 25th December 2009, 20:59   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
..... Now after continues top up for last 2.5 years, it's all nitrogen .

Please forgive me.
And yet it leaks?! Must be the old, bad Nitrogen! It must be replaced with factory fresh Nitrogen to achieve that 'perfect' quality!
Please forgive me.
Old 28th December 2009, 14:42   #683
BANNED

"Well Nitrogen bubble has not not exploded so far. Even F1 cars use Nitrogen, so rest assured it is a better option."

LOL,so u think filling nitrogen makes yours a F1 car.Wow living a life of Alonso on indian roads!lucky chap.
F1 car does not even come out of 1st gear when your nitrogen filled one goes out of steam! Hey why dont you try the sleek (ungroved tyres) on your car,they must be soo much better for your car ,afterall even F1 uses them
Mate they use nitrogen because there tyre is under very heavy load,as much as a truck,(not because car's weight is so much)but because F1 cars produces downforces using winglets which can amount to an astronomical figure(around 1600kg normally,with peaks at about 3000kg),and at such load tyres have to constantly reach 300kmph,brake from there to 80 within 30 or so mtrs and then again get to peak withing seconds.all this generate heat.with normal compressed air,water droplets would be converted to steam( yes the tyres are always above 100*C,even the coldest wet weather tyres are suppose to be at 114*c)steam has more specific volume than Air/other gasses.this leads to pressure imbalance amongst the tyres of an F1 car(tyre being loaded more gets heated more and hence gets overpressured) ,a billion dollar sport and you wouldnt love to writeoff your F1 car for sumthing as stupid as pressure imbalance.

Our road going cars!! well have you ever noticed temps of your tyre being above 55*C,it would really take hamilton a while to kick up that kind of heat into our car's tyres,above 100.try and relax our tyres would never get to 100,no matter how fast a driver you think you are.
Jago grahak jago!!

and yes halwa made by your wife is never as good as you get when you eat out! because you are paying for that taste! hence the soother ride! ride comfort! less puncher!! lesser air topups!!
Old 28th December 2009, 15:20   #684
Senior - BHPian

Well said Dustom. Nitrogen filling into cars that we use for day to day running is pure waste of time and money. Time because you have to go in search of a nitrogen filling place (Not common yet) and money because it costs at least Rs. 100 to fill the four/Five tyres. There is nothing wrong with just air filling which is 78% nitrogen anyways. As far as Refill duration is concerned how much time does it take to check air pressure after you fill up your tank. 3-4 minutes. big deal. That too you don't spend 3-4 min every time you fill up you spend it once a month at most. so why bother?
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:56   #685
BHPian

Free Nitrogen at HP pumps, Chennai*

Nitrogen is free at HP pumps in Chennai if fuel is filled for a minimum Rs. 1000.

Today i filled at HP Pump at Mugappair Road for free. The pump attendant told me that 75% of the HP outlets are offering N2 for free.

Have a query - should filling of nitrogen be 3 psi lesser than normal air ? Say, if 33 psi is for normal air, then N2 need to be filled only for 30 PSI. Is this correct ? (i read this somewhere in the forum, couldnt recollect)

Last edited by bnzjon : 2nd January 2010 at 13:59.
Old 2nd January 2010, 14:16   #686
BHPian

i really dont know a place in coimbatore where nitrogen is charged.. I had filled it in four places for the past two years and it has always been free.
Why is that it is still charged in most of the placesaround india..weird.
Old 2nd January 2010, 14:54   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Nitrogen is free at HP pumps in Chennai if fuel is filled for a minimum Rs. 1000.

Today i filled at HP Pump at Mugappair Road for free. The pump attendant told me that 75% of the HP outlets are offering N2 for free.

Have a query - should filling of nitrogen be 3 psi lesser than normal air ? Say, if 33 psi is for normal air, then N2 need to be filled only for 30 PSI. Is this correct ? (i read this somewhere in the forum, couldnt recollect)
Some of the Indian Oil and IBP petrol bunks fill nitrogen for free if you pucahse Rs.500 worth of xtra premium petrol. The one that I frequent fills free nitrogen if I do a full tank on any type petrol.

I have both my cars running on nitrogen for the past 3 months. As far as I know your tyre pressure should not be reduced just because you are using nitrogen. I am waiting for the gurus to comment on the tyre pressure issue.
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:47   #688
BHPian

Slightly OT, but can I fill Nitrogen for my Honda Dio? And may I know if there are any benefits of nitrogen? Dad does fill in Nitrogen in his Innova.
Old 2nd January 2010, 16:07   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why?
Logic says there is no need as there won't be any appreciable compression on encountering bumps etc anyways.

Its the pressure that the gas exerts on the walls of the tyre to keep it stiff. You could fill water in it but you'd still need to have the same pressure.

That is what I understand. Ishan, Nikhil or the other Gurus maybe able to clarify this better.

The only reason people claim for Nitrogen's superiority is the low leakage rate and normal air's oxidant nature.
If you regularly check the pressure, the first one goes void. The second is plain bull crap. It takes a lot of time for the rubber in the tyres to be oxidized. Chances are you'll run out of rubber on the top much sooner than inside.
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:22   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No justification for this. But then there is no justification to fill nitrogen either... sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Why?
Logic says there is no need as there won't be any appreciable compression on encountering bumps etc anyways.

Its the pressure that the gas exerts on the walls of the tyre to keep it stiff. You could fill water in it but you'd still need to have the same pressure.

That is what I understand. Ishan, Nikhil or the other Gurus maybe able to clarify this better.

The only reason people claim for Nitrogen's superiority is the low leakage rate and normal air's oxidant nature.
If you regularly check the pressure, the first one goes void. The second is plain bull crap. It takes a lot of time for the rubber in the tyres to be oxidized. Chances are you'll run out of rubber on the top much sooner than inside.
You can't substitute water even if you can match the pressure, lol! You are using pneumatic tyres and not hydro tyres, I presume? Water is nowhere as compressible. The additional mass is another issue...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks