Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 17:48   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Can you please tell how do you clean the Air-Filter as DIY ?
Hi Amit... The filter I'm using is from Simota & it's got a fine stainless steel mesh instead of the regular paper element.

The filter element is cleaned with K&N's standard filter cleaning kit. I do nothing special, I simply follow the instructions on the kit. The whole procedure takes about 4 or 5 hours - most of the time spent is actually for letting the element dry !
Old 14th October 2008, 19:26   #107
Team-BHP Support

im_srini: why is the piston top so wet? have you done a comp check and how is the health of piston rings?
Old 14th October 2008, 20:33   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Amit... The filter I'm using is from Simota & it's got a fine stainless steel mesh instead of the regular paper element.

The filter element is cleaned with K&N's standard filter cleaning kit. I do nothing special, I simply follow the instructions on the kit. The whole procedure takes about 4 or 5 hours - most of the time spent is actually for letting the element dry !
Could the excessive dust passing to engine from a steel mesh instead of paper filter be the cause of accumulated grime in engine despite all the additives over the years? just a thought I am no expert in this
Old 15th October 2008, 04:35   #109
BHPian

hi guys,
i had just been to US and saw some amazing car produts there. i saw a full range of STP fuel aaditives range there.
they had STP complete fuel cleaner which is for 400rs(somewhat after coversion) they say its the ultimate in fuel additives and has to be used once every 6 months or 10000miles. then there was a carb & injector cleaner cleaner, octane booster, and a fuel injector cleaner. with various strength levels but the above metioned STP complete fuel cleaner had the highest standard(no. 4) .
now i am pretty confused as i regularly use iftex with regular fuel or somtimes if no choice then power fuel.
can u guys help me.. shld i switch over to stp? is it better than iftex? and has to be addded once once every service unlike on regular intervals as in iftex?
i have a chevy optra and the company recommends iftex with regular fuel.
pls advice. thnx
Old 15th October 2008, 07:39   #110
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
they had STP complete fuel cleaner which is for 400rs(somewhat after coversion) they say its the ultimate in fuel additives and has to be used once every 6 months or 10000miles.
I guess thats only for US! Indian conditions are much more demanding
Old 15th October 2008, 09:44   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
im_srini: why is the piston top so wet? have you done a comp check and how is the health of piston rings ?
Hi Jaggu, the pistons are wet from the diesel & oil mix used to remove the deposits. And I have a compression test done every 10K Kms, the last time I did it, the values were within limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Could the excessive dust passing to engine from a steel mesh instead of paper filter be the cause of accumulated grime in engine despite all the additives over the years?
Yes Amit, that's a definite possibility - but I use K&N filter oil to wet the element. The mesh is really fine, I'm not sure of the size of the mesh in microns or anything, but it's dense enough that if you try to shine a light (even a small laser) through, you can't see it from the other side (not a very scientific test, but... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
hi guys,
i saw a full range of STP fuel aaditives range there.
shld i switch over to stp? is it better than iftex?
There's this Fifth-Gear episode where they put the claims of the additive makers to test - if I remember correct, the overwhelming result was negative. You can find the video on YouTube & you could also visit the following URLs for a concise treatment of the whole thing.

0. Car maintenance bibles: Oil Additives
1. Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

I'm not sure how much of this additive thing is mental, sort of like a placebo effect. I was big fan of MotorUp when it was available, in fact I was recommending it to everybody I knew (we all know how that turned out !).

I have to admit though that when I started using System-G, my engine did feel smoother & easier to rev. What we need is an independent verification, but I guess that's the whole point of this thread

Last edited by im_srini : 15th October 2008 at 09:45.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I guess thats only for US! Indian conditions are much more demanding
I agree here the environment itself is more stressing and along with the fuel quality it doubles up.

I have now started believing in detergent based additives used for cleaning the carbon deposits and they definitely help the engine performance. I briefly wrote about their usage here.

You can well imagine, if they are used worldover and help under those conditions, then they are pretty much required here.

Like System D, BG additives are now approved by even Maruti, although the disti is having tough time selling it to the dealers due to lack of knowledge/ awareness amongst consumers and thats another story altogether.

Marketing is the biggest issue for these additives, including system D.
Old 8th November 2008, 11:44   #113
BHPian

Hi There,

I have a Swift Petrol. I'm using premium fuels from day one owards. Recently I have shifted to Shell Super. I'm getting good average in the city and highway with Shell Super.

After going through the thread, I'm tempted to start the using System G and normal fuels. I have few questions to my friends before I start using it.

1). I understand that I should use System G with normal fuels only. Is my understanding correct?
2). Where can I get System G in Pune ?
3). What is the price of System G?
4). Let's assume I fill 40lts. I should use 40mls. Right?
5). I haven't seen this System G bottle until now. How can measure the quantity? With the bottle cap?
6). When should I fill System G into the tank. Before or After filling Petrol?

If there are any silly questions, please forgive.

Thanks
Old 8th November 2008, 13:27   #114
Team-BHP Support

1) You can use with premium fuels also, but it will be a waste since they already have their own additives.
2) Pune members can help.
3) Around 200 odd bucks for a bottle.
4) Yes
5) It has a measuring bottle/marking on it.
6) Before filling up.
Old 8th November 2008, 16:20   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
picked up a bottle of System D. I've never noticed any difference with premium and regular fuels. wonder if this will make a difference. the bottle seems to be old

will post if i see any difference
tried it and I'm sold! makes a good difference in the mornings. And its cheaper than premium
Old 8th November 2008, 17:07   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
Hi There,

I have a Swift Petrol. I'm using premium fuels from day one owards. Recently I have shifted to Shell Super. I'm getting good average in the city and highway with Shell Super.

After going through the thread, I'm tempted to start the using System G and normal fuels. I have few questions to my friends before I start using it.

1). I understand that I should use System G with normal fuels only. Is my understanding correct?
2). Where can I get System G in Pune ?
3). What is the price of System G?
4). Let's assume I fill 40lts. I should use 40mls. Right?
5). I haven't seen this System G bottle until now. How can measure the quantity? With the bottle cap?
6). When should I fill System G into the tank. Before or After filling Petrol?

If there are any silly questions, please forgive.

Thanks
2) Check at BP & IBP pumps they have tieups with Iftex for these additives.

5) to be precise, the bottle has a measurer for 5/10ml. But for convenience sake, you can pre-measure and take in your own small plastic bottle, if you know how much you should/ will fill.
Old 8th November 2008, 21:42   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) .
6) Before filling up.
Ideally, you need to fill up System G before filling up. But I always fill it up after fuelling up, as I can never accurately know how much fuel will go into the car.
You get System G 250 ml for Rs 250 at all Ford service centres.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:17   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Ideally, you need to fill up System G before filling up. But I always fill it up after fuelling up, as I can never accurately know how much fuel will go into the car.
You get System G 250 ml for Rs 250 at all Ford service centres.
If the calculation per litre slightly changes, will there be any problem? For eg:- if I fill 10lts and I add only 8ml of System G
Old 10th November 2008, 10:18   #119
Team-BHP Support

Nope few ml's here and there wouldnt cause any problems.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Nope few ml's here and there wouldnt cause any problems.
i have used System D, for the last couple of years, and i am just amazed at the improvements and drivability of all my cars,
1) Indica Diesel, 'jerking' at slow speed gets rectified
2) M-800, MPFi, Knocking/ringing, sound gets rectified ( System G)
3) My Mahindra MM550 XDP/540 DP drives better, smoother and much more efficiently
4) i recently got a difference of 1.8 Kmpl on my Swift Dezire VDi, by using System D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks