Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2007, 15:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Verna Trouble!

This morning, i drove out of my apartment building in my 3 month old Verna CRDi. I drove myself as the driver was on leave today.

Within a few metres of driving i realised that I could feel a vibration at the steering wheel and a ghus ghus sound too. I figured I had a flat tyre.

I drove slowly to the nearest tyre walla. To my surprise, all 4 tyres were OK. While reversing out of the tyre guy, I took a full left and reversed out. I had a loud THAK. Like what happens when you go over a stone.

Then the car froze and would not move. I straightened out and moved forward and the car moved but made a really scary sound, like gears were slipping.

It moved for 5 metres more, before coming to a halt. All gears had stopped working. I shut down and restarted. Too many computers, I think. I thought restarting would fix it.

Now the car was behaving like it was in neutral. I could press the clutch and put it in gear but the car was behaving like neutral.

With great trouble and amazing shame, I took the help of some people and pushed the car to the side. Imagine people I know, seeing me push my brand new car into my building. Not nice.

I pulled out the service book and called my service centre at Cotton Green, Mumbai.
After making me wait for a while as the supervisor was busy, I spoke to someone, who advised (in hindi) that i call 9820023000 - their breakdown service.

I did call the number and a polite gentleman spoke to me. Theek hai do baje aaoonga said he. Meanwhile i called my driver, who got furious and got onto his bike (even though it was his day off) and found the supervisor and called me on his mobile.

Mr. Kumar spoke to me, politely and kindly and told me that his breakdown guys would arrive soon, take a look and if need be, hire a towtruck.

At exactly 2, the guys arrived at my car, where someone was waiting. I was informed by them that it was an axle problem.

"Doosri gaadion me single joint Axle hota hai, isme double joint axle hai, one joint has come open"
"What? In a new car?"
"Hota hai, sir, axle has slipped"

He called me 15 mins later to say that he had fit the axle back, temporarily, the car was now driving but not turning very well (He said) and that he had another call to attend, but my driver could now easily drive it to cotton green.

My driver has reached cotton green with the verna, I am waiting to hear what's going on after that.

I'm upset, to say the least. This is not what I expected.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 26th May 2007 at 15:10.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, must've been a horrible feeling to go through this - esp in a new car. I guess this feels worse than it probably is - and if the service centre does a decent job, you'll have an as-good-as-new car again. Will obviously be covered under warranty too.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
He called me 15 mins later to say that he had fit the axle back, temporarily, the car was now driving but not turning very well (He said) and that he had another call to attend, but my driver could now easily drive it to cotton green.
I suggest that you dont drive the vehicle.. Temporary jobs do not hold good.

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 15:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I suggest that you dont drive the vehicle.. Temporary jobs do not hold good.

Godfather
The temporary job was to drive to to the service station, instead of a tow-truck. The car is at the service station for a permanent job.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Why am I getting a feeling that Hyundai has started cutting corners off late in the quality department? There are just too many Hyundai related problems surfacing on the forum nowadays. And most of these look like serious problems and not niggles. That is even more worrisome. Engine conking off at 20k+ on the odo (quite a few Santros), gearbox problems in a 1 year old Accent (my ex-colleague), axle problem with a new Verna. Uhuh... something is not right.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The temporary job was to drive to to the service station, instead of a tow-truck. The car is at the service station for a permanent job.
Oh ok.. Hope that you get your car back in mint condition. But really shocked to read about axle joint has come open on a brand new car.

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 15:30   #7
BHPian

that's quite unfortunate ... i can understand how it feels to have a problem like this with a new car .... in all likelihood you were just the unlucky one in this case ... freak problem
Old 26th May 2007, 15:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Really unfortunate Sam. And it pains more when its a new car. Just make sure the axle is replaced completed and not a shoddy repair job. I hope all this is done under warranty for you. In a new car the word "repair" has no meaning. "Replace" is the way to go. Dont give into them no matter what they tell you.

Do keep us updated on the progress.

Last edited by Dippy : 26th May 2007 at 16:07.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
In a new car the word "repair" has no mean. "Replace" is the way to go. Dont give into them no matter what they tell you.
.. It should be covered under extended warranty.

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 15:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

Join the club Sam, not a good time for IDs starting with Sam. I understand exactly how you are feeling, I am in the same soup, in a different bowl though.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Really unfortunate Sam. And it pains more when its a new car. Just make sure the axle is replaced completed and not a shoddy repair job. I hope all this is done under warranty for you. In a new car the word "repair" has no mean. "Replace" is the way to go. Dont give into them no matter what they tell you.

Do keep us updated on the progress.
one way to make sure that it's really been replaced is to ask to see the old part. They may not give it to you to keep as it is under warranty and will have to be sent back to hyundai, but you can ask to see it to make sure.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
but you can ask to see it to make sure.
Or ask your driver to stay there till they replace the part right in front of him.

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 16:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

@sam, i sympathize with you. its no doubt a terrible feeling on such a costly car.

@zappo - you are right. it takes a honda or a toyota to maintain quality and name no matter what. somehow hyundai seems to be into a bit of issues. needless to say they are anyways looting customers with higher prices for lesser engines like 1.1. its time i think someone set a benchmark in india for car recalls for issues to be sorted out.
Old 26th May 2007, 17:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
This is not what I expected.
expect the unexpected !

definately not encouraging if anyone looking to buy Verna. It happens in 1 out of 10,000 but still not acceptable.
Old 26th May 2007, 17:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Too much torque, me thinks

Thank god it happened nearby.

Make sure you get a new joint (the axle stuff not the grassy kind)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks