Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 11:22   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Saw this horrific sight today. A defence less windsheild reservoir was chewed and mauled beyond recogniting. I plan to surround it with a wire mesh. Not getting it repaired as of now.
That mad rat is in love with the reservoir. I put a wire mesh which is of the type which one can easily cut by scissors but that damn mud hopper got around the mesh and nibbled the reservoir again. I will be putting a double mesh around same tomorrow. The price of a new reservoir on boodmo is just 198 so thankfully not much damage. But if it attacks the double mesh as well I will have no choice but to initiate kill protocol.

A Roban poison cake smeared with Ratol paste poison acts as a double edged sword and has been successful in taking down rodents in a matter of just two days before. Quite frankly I want to avoid the poison but that rat is so hell bent on chewing off the plastic container I am afraid it might attack the more critical ones like the coolant and the brake fluid container.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 21:10   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Will diluted dettol sprayed on the bottom engine guard where the rats leave their crap be any harm to the car?
Old 15th January 2022, 11:04   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That mad rat is in love with the reservoir. I put a wire mesh which is of the type which one can easily cut by scissors but that damn mud hopper got around the mesh and nibbled the reservoir again. I will be putting a double mesh around same tomorrow..
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-3.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-2.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-1.jpg

Installed a double mesh. On the first day the bugger attempted to go through the second mesh. It had cut up the zip ties I had used to secure but the mesh got stuck in place. The next day I tied a rope around it and secured with another zip tie. The rat now seems to have given up on attacking the mesh. Also every time I open the bonnet I am washing the installed engine guard with diluted solution of floor cleaner which has a fragrance. This washes ways the rats urine, dropping etc thus removing his marking.

I understand rats have a weak eye sight and sense of smell is their GPS system so the fragrant might make the rat think that is not in it's usual space. I also plan to switch between two types of diluted solutions eg one dettol and the other the floor cleaner so those buggers do not get accustomed to the smell easily.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 11:21   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[The rat now seems to have given up on attacking the mesh.
It is said that rats have good memory.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:58   #1610

Quote:
I think a competent garage can re-wire the ECU for you. Honda had given me the same crap that the entire wiring harness has to be replaced for my Civic when it faced a similar issue. The harness was for around 20k+ plus in cost. I got the job done for around 8k from my mechanic outside Honda.
Hello Sumeet

I have been advised the same. Arya Honda charges for replacement is 17K+labour.

The D light is blinking / Check light remain on. They do not repair it seems.

Can you please share the garage name in Mumbai, from where you got the jjob done [Replacement or Repair ?].

Regards

Gaurang
Old 30th January 2022, 13:07   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary123 View Post
Hello Sumeet

I have been advised the same. Arya Honda charges for replacement is 17K+labour.

The D light is blinking / Check light remain on. They do not repair it seems.

Can you please share the garage name in Mumbai, from where you got the jjob done [Replacement or Repair ?].

Regards

Gaurang
I had done it from Deva bhai at Chembur. Kindly check out the below link.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumba...ur-mumbai.html (Repairs, Service & Maintenance - Devabhai (Chembur, Mumbai))

Mob no - 986 795 9535

Good luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 17:25   #1612
BHPian

Hi guys has anybody used ultrasonic based rat repellents? What is its efficacy? I'm sure there is no 100% effective solution but still wanted to try to use the best solution available
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:06   #1613

I don't know the technicalities of the matter but it shows what kind of a disaster rat damage could ignite. I had faced a similar wiring problem due to a rat attack in the past. Just to have peace of mind, I installed a rat repellent device called "Car Cat". From the day of installation, I haven't faced a single issue and neither any rats have sneaked into the car. It uses ultrasound waves to keep the rat away and gets connected directly to the battery. It demands a good investment, to begin with, but in the longer run, it pays off!Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200913_181948.jpg

I am genuinely impressed with its efficiency. I have it installed in two of my cars - Renault Kwid and Toyota Glanza. Both have had some amount of damage because of rodents. The Glanza's floor mating was worn out due to rats. Since the installation, both cars haven't faced any rat attacks. Also, it doesn't consume a lot of battery. You can easily park your car for 10-15 days but it is recommended to start the car and take a short spin for better battery life. I am leaving a link of the Car Cat device, in case any one of you want to take a look.

Link - https://www.carcat.in/carcat-duo/buy...m_campaign=buy

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-whatsapp-image-20210723-2.20.07-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd February 2022 at 07:07.
Power Craver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:12   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Craver View Post
I don't know the technicalities of the matter but it shows what kind of a disaster rat damage could ignite.
How long have you had this in your car? Also for installation do someone from their staff comes in for setting it up or we have do it for ourselves. I have read online that after some time the rats get used to sound etc and tend to re-appear.
Old 2nd February 2022, 13:15   #1615
BHPian

FYI the link isn't opening. Upon Googling, it says 4104 INR which I feel is a bit steep. I found another one named Rat Attack. Costs 2490 INR. I'll try that. My friend had used Varna Surakshaa, but he said it is not of great quality. He bought about 5 of them and 3 stopped working and had to do multiple follow ups to get a replacement units.
Old 2nd February 2022, 16:51   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiredd1005 View Post
FYI the link isn't opening. .
Might be old link, here is the link to product page.
https://carcat.in/product

Their site has more detail explanation and they don't claim 100 % riddance.

Please note: Not associated with brand in anyway , was just curious from post above and found the product page.
KumarS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 18:19   #1617
HTC
BANNED

Happened to see a rat attacked Figo's engine bay at JSP Ford service, Bangalore. Looked as if rats had a free run in the engine bay. Take a look.

Luckily, in our apartment, the mouse which used to hop from car to car has stopped visiting after pest control service was availed
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20220111_125054.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20220111_125022.jpg  

HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 12:38   #1618
BHPian

Quote:

Do ultrasonic repellers work on rats?

The short answer is no, ultrasonic rodent repellents don't work. Some homeowners have noted an immediate effect at first, but over time the rodent problem will continue to persist.

What is the best deterrent for rats?
Try these natural options:
Spread peppermint oil, cayenne pepper, black pepper, or cloves around the home's exterior to prevent the rats from entering the house in the first place.

Sprinkle crushed pepper (or spray pepper spray) near rat openings and holes.
Google search results on rat repellent devices. If the above is true, then repellent devices are useful only effective for a short period.

Sprays are the way to go for, I have placed an order for two cans of pepper spray.

Last edited by Vasuki : 5th February 2022 at 12:39.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 19:51   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Exceprt from a Yahoo link.
Quote:
The big picture: Rats usually don't return to places where they can't find food. The trick is to keep alleyways, sidewalks, and homes clear of food scraps and messy garbage cans.

It's a simple rule-of-thumb to follow when you have a rat problem, according to Corrigan, who has a Ph.D. in urban rats studies and advises cities, including the District.

The details: He says residents should spray their garbage cans and trash bags with 10% bleach solution when taking out trash.

“The rats do not like to chew into bleach tasting anything,” he says. “If the outside of the can smells like bleach to that famous nose of theirs, they're like, 'Well, this ain't food.’”

Keeping garbage cans tightly closed is also imperative and requires cooperation from everyone in a neighborhood.

“If those rats show up in that alley night after night, and everything's tidy, and everything's been cleaned up, and everything's in tight cans, and so forth — if they don't get food, they don't come to that alley anymore,” he says. “Period.”
Probably the reason why I have a recurring problem. My car is parked near a Tamrind tree whose fruits keep dropping. This gives the rats an easy snack and I always seem to find a bunch of half eaten tamrinds in my engine bay

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th February 2022 at 20:10.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 20:35   #1620
BHPian

Please do not invest in ultrasonic rodent repellent devices, they don't work.
Do not waste your hard earned money on scams, companies selling ultrasonic rat repellents have been sued in the US as there was no proof to support their tall claims.

Quote from a blog :
Quote:
As early as 1995 a study was completed at the University of Lincoln, Nebraska which concluded that in all devices tested they were insufficient in repelling rats and other rodents. [“Electronic Rodent Repellent Devices: A Review of Efflcacy Test Protocols and Regulatory Actions”. DigitalCommons@University of Nebraska – Lincoln.]. Consumer Reports has also put out a warning against such devices. [https://www.consumerreports.org/inse...cts-to-avoid/]
Need more proof? (Warning : Rats are displayed)

Venky03 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks