Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2015, 14:41   #331
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: maintaining an old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I have seen vintage cars running in mint conditions, this is a mere Mitsubishi Lancer, why am I finding it difficult to maintain spares?
Simply because the vintage cars aren't daily drivers. They come out only occasionally.

Quote:
I approached the dealership but their HM quoted MRPs are more than spares cost of ALL new cars.
Unsurprising. Spares of cars currently on sale are mass produced.

Quote:
where can I get quality spares at affordable costs?
1. Stock up on the essentials by ordering online. Thanks to the internet, it's a small world . I ordered something from Amazon USA last Friday. It was here yesterday!

2. Establish a source at bigger spare part markets, like Opera House in Mumbai.
Old 5th September 2015, 15:03   #332
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

But with changing part numbers and variations, how can we make sure its the right part?

For e.g. there are three kinds of Headlights for the lancer which do not fit every car.

Also I need a butterfly valve (air mixture thing), How can I find catalog number for this so I can search for it online?
Old 5th September 2015, 18:28   #333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
But with changing part numbers and variations, how can we make sure its the right part?

For e.g. there are three kinds of Headlights for the lancer which do not fit every car.

Also I need a butterfly valve (air mixture thing), How can I find catalog number for this so I can search for it online?
IMO, mostly it depends on the car model and the sales that the car had garnered when it was in production. For scarce parts it will be difficult to get but not impossible.

What car are you looking for - The butterfly valve?
Old 5th September 2015, 19:52   #334
Senior - BHPian

4g15 EFI engine (2003 model)
Old 28th November 2015, 12:26   #335
BHPian

Sorry, I know this is

I tried searching, but I couldn't find a similar thread for diesel cars - do we have one ?
Old 2nd January 2016, 20:06   #336
Senior - BHPian

Had a question regarding the legality of servicing the car yourself while under warranty. Changing an air filter or oil filter are incredibly easy tasks and I should have no trouble doing it. However, there are two issues:

1) The manufacturer (VW) does not sell spares over the counter

2) The car is under warranty

Assuming I found the right part somehow or got an aftermarket filter, can I change it and ask the service center to skip these items when the car goes for service?

Can I be denied warranty claims on this basis?
Old 5th March 2016, 21:37   #337
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Engine Oil - A lot of places on the forums it is suggested that Engine Oil should be replaced after every 10K Kms. Well the first change is always 6 Months as per the ASC, but post that if my running is low Like 5K Kms every 6 months, is it still required that I change my Engine Oil after every 6 Months which is what is indicated in the Manual.
For mineral oil, you must change every 5000 km. If you want to extend to 1 year oil change then go for synthetic.
Old 5th March 2016, 21:50   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Assuming I found the right part somehow or got an aftermarket filter, can I change it and ask the service center to skip these items when the car goes for service? Can I be denied warranty claims on this basis?
Yes, they can deny warranty. ANY service procedure (except those in the owners manual) if carried out by an unauthorised service centre or person and traced to a premature part or component failure is ground for voiding the warranty. Warranty cover for failures caused by using unauthorised spares are also not covered.

Rule of the thumb - IF a service can be performed by an owner it will be specified in the owners manual. If it's not explicitly mentioned don't attempt the service procedure at home.

So, oil and air filter changes? I seriously doubt these will be mentioned. European cars are constructed in a way that intentionally discourage and preclude DIY jobs. Jap & Korean cars are far more DIY friendly.
Old 30th July 2016, 12:04   #339
BHPian

Hi all,

i have a honda city zx petrol bought in sep 2006.

Its nearing 10 years and 79xxx KM of comfortable and reliable service. It was serviced every 6month/5k KM from honda dealers for the first four to five years (as i was afraid of getting it touched by outside mechanics). Thereafter, i had enough of both the Honda A.S.S. in chandigarh and started giving it to a friendly neighbouhood garage and thankfully it has not given any issues at all. The only hiccup was a clutch change at ~40k KMs that was performed by the FNG in 2010 (the car was being serviced by dealer till this time). All this time just regular service with oil change and washing has been done according to manual and the car is still running flawlessly (the exterior is very bruised though as it receives regular nicks and scrapes in the city). Recently took it on highway and it was very smooth even at high speeds. I received comments and felt myself that the car drives like new .

Now, at 80K Km some major work has to be done according to the manual. Last major service at 40K was done at dealer. e.g. the transmission oil and coolant have to be changed. manual does not specify any grade like 80w90 or 75w80 etc. just has honda genuine gear oil/ honda coolant type-2 written. fuel filter, drive belts have to be changed.

So will it be okay to give it to FNG or should i take it to Honda Dealer? I am okay with a slightly higher cost but both honda dealers in chandigarh have provided horrible service and i dont really trust them, thats why i moved to FNG in the first place. The FNG is run by an aquiantance of my father so i cant really push them to work according to me. e.g. they have only one kind of (barrel) engine oil from mobil they use in all cars. So is the best option to take it to a roadside mechanic with the consumables bought myself?

Also i see in many threads its recommended to change timing belt at 80K Kms. This is not mentioned in the service chart in the manual. Does this need to be done in honda city petrol? Its cited as a critical and very complex part in these posts. Is this something best left to be done by the dealers or is it a regular affair that is handled easily?
Old 30th July 2016, 15:05   #340
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
The FNG is run by an aquiantance of my father so i cant really push them to work according to me.

So is the best option to take it to a roadside mechanic with the consumables bought myself?
Buy the oil, all required spares and get it done at your FNG.

Engine oil and great oil change, filter change, belts change aren't too major to be an headache. If your FNG has decent experience then nothing to worry.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 17:58   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
...belts change aren't too major to be an headache.
Timing belt changes need a certain level of expertise. I've seen camshafts broken because of faulty TB fitment.
Old 30th July 2016, 23:13   #342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Timing belt changes need a certain level of expertise. I've seen camshafts broken because of faulty TB fitment.
Sorry Sir, I should have been more specific on my earlier post regarding 'belts'. I meant the rest ones and not the timing belt.

If one is mainly getting the timing belt changed, best is to visit ASC or a known worthy mechanic.
Old 1st August 2016, 01:09   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Buy the oil, all required spares and get it done at your FNG.

Engine oil and great oil change, filter change, belts change aren't too major to be an headache. If your FNG has decent experience then nothing to worry.
I would love to do this, if it was possible. But maybe i framed it wrong, the FNG is run by my father's formal aquaintance. I cannot be intrusive with them. that means no carrying my own stuff, no standing with the mechanic and watching. In fact they pick and drop from our house itself. So my own stuff means an unknown garage or independant mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks SS,
these kind of words really made me think about the servicing from the dealer.
How can i verify when the city zx needs timing belt change. Nothing is mentioned in the manual. Is it to be changed at 80K Km in all cars?
Old 10th August 2016, 19:30   #344

Maruti SWIFT VDI Coolant Flush/Change

Hi Friends,

I am planning to DIY coolant change on my 3 year old Swift VDi. Can members throw some light on important instructions to be followed.

Also, i noticed on my Swift that there is no Radiator cap and just the coolant tank, is that hidden somewhere?
Old 10th August 2016, 22:01   #345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad029 View Post
Also, i noticed on my Swift that there is no Radiator cap and just the coolant tank, is that hidden somewhere?
What you'll have to do is, raise the car using jack stands;

At the base of the radiator you'll find a plug like thing. Pull it out to drain all the coolant during this time keep the coolant reservoir cap open so the flow is continuous.

I think the ratio of water : coolant is 1:1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks