Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 15:43   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
And alignment and balancing every 5K kms is overkill.
With prices of tires touching sky, I really think that getting alignment/balancing done every 5-7k kms a good idea. Even if you get the alignment/balancing done 5-6 times in 40k kms, you can use the tires to their maximum capacity.
Old 6th May 2012, 18:50   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
With prices of tires touching sky, I really think that getting alignment/balancing done every 5-7k kms a good idea. Even if you get the alignment/balancing done 5-6 times in 40k kms, you can use the tires to their maximum capacity.
Balancing should be done only when the wheels are separated from tyres (for e.g repair of puncture in tubed tyres). On the safe side, I think once in 20K kms is enough.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2629576

Alignment should be done when the wheels become misaligned (for eg. going into a hole at high speed). Even if you do an alignment today, they can become misaligned tomorrow. So I think doing once in 10K and also keeping an eye on whether they are misaligned in between should be enough in my opinion - I think misaligned tyres will cause uneven wear of the treads.
Old 6th May 2012, 23:54   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Balancing should be done only when the wheels are separated from tyres (for e.g repair of puncture in tubed tyres). On the safe side, I think once in 20K kms is enough.
It depends a lot on the road conditions and the way you drive. If you can keep your rim/alloy safe, then you can stretch the balancing part for 20k kms or so. But if you land on a bump hard and the car's rim/alloy takes even slightest of impact, the the balancing will be affected.

Quote:
Alignment should be done when the wheels become misaligned (for eg. going into a hole at high speed). Even if you do an alignment today, they can become misaligned tomorrow.
Same goes for balancing too. It depends on what part takes the impact, if its the camber or caster, then your alignment needs to be put right, if its the rim/alloys or even tire, then balancing can go kaput.

Quote:
I think misaligned tyres will cause uneven wear of the treads.
Even an unbalanced tire can cause uneven tire wear .

The Symptoms of Unbalanced Tires | eHow.com
Old 15th September 2012, 20:06   #229
Senior - BHPian

This service checklist has been compiled only based on the kms. This may be suitable for high mileage users.

But for a low mileage user like me, the time factor is more important than the distance factor.

For example, engine oil change is required at 10k kms. Based on my usage, 10k kms will happen in 2 years. But the engine oil can't be used for 2 years.

Similarly, gear oil change is required at 30k kms. But based on my usage, 30k kms will happen in 6 years. Gear oil can't be used for 6 years.

For the benefit of low mileage users like me - is it possible to compile a service checklist based on the time factor alone ?

Rohan
Old 16th September 2012, 09:52   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
hI,
Used to know a tyre dealer, who would sell the 5000 km alignment & balancing interval to his customers . for this he would show them photographs of scoprio tyres which 'd run 80000 on stock tyres.
much later i realized that he was making more moolah out of his services than the margin on new tyres. and his services were costing us far more ( lots of weights invariably.....). it would have been better idea ( cheaper idea in the case ...) to simply change to new atleast the front tyres in 40000km / 4yrs. than making that additional 30000/40000 km on tyres wherein the compund has become hard... and possibly may burst at high speed and ambient temp.
at the end of the day , driving on indian roads even in urban areas is almost like driving on rough terrain. which does serious damage especially to soft compund high speed ( H) rated sedan tyres. every joint in concrete road , every undulations on the paved roads and every pothole on asphalt road is a body blow to the tyre. add to that shattered glass on account of various acccidents , all nails, metal & screws lying around owing to constant construction activity and the terrible heat....the result is much reduced safe tyre life IMO.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 15:06   #231
BHPian

Alto 40k service

hello guys,
my 40k service for the 2007 alto Lx is coming up had some doubts. Last service was at 30k KM where engine oil, coolant, spark plugs, air filter, gear oil were changed.

this time im going to change engine oil + filter, brake fluid + brake pads.

do i need to change fuel filter? fuel is generally filled at good fuel pumps but the manual says to get it changed after 40k.

also do i need to get injector cleaning done?
injector cleaning was done at 20k service and they removed injectors and checked the spray in a transparent machine. Do i need to get it done again at 40k? it costs Rs400. SA was pushing for it last time also but i asked him not do do it.
Is there a diffrence between injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning or are they the same? do i need both?

as the car has completed 5 years, is there anything else that needs to be done? i read on another thread that some parts should be changed periodically to improve the life of the suspension. if i ask the mass to check then they will definitely say everything needs to be changed, so i need opinion from you guys. the car is otherwise running without any problems.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:37   #232
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alto 40k service

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
This time im going to change engine oil + filter, brake fluid + brake pads. Do i need to change fuel filter?
Yes, if you haven't changed the fuel filter then it is advisable to follow the manual and get it done at the 40k kms mark since the filter is nearing the end of its serviceable life.

Quote:
Do i need to get injector cleaning done?
Not recommended if you have already done it at the 20k kms mark and have been filling in good quality fuel. Injector cleaning is actually not required unless one faces problems with fuel-flow or a jerky throttle.

Quote:
Is there a difference between injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning or are they the same?
Throttle body cleaning and injector cleaning are different. The throttle body is the part of the air intake system that controls the amount of air flowing into the engine and it is recommended that you get it cleaned at the 40k kms mark. You will be amazed at the amount of gunk and carbon build-up that is left inside the throttle body. Make sure they do a manual cleaning by dismantling the throttle body from the engine and then cleaning it by hand and not just spray a cleaner into the fuel intake lines.

Quote:
As the car has completed 5 years, is there anything else that needs to be done? i read on another thread that some parts should be changed periodically to improve the life of the suspension.
Just ask them to check the steering components, ball joints and drive line bushes for wear. If the car is running fine, you don't have much to worry about.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 13:01   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Throttle body cleaning and injector cleaning are different. The throttle body is the part of the air intake system that controls the amount of air flowing into the engine and it is recommended that you get it cleaned at the 40k kms mark. You will be amazed at the amount of gunk and carbon build-up that is left inside the throttle body. Make sure they do a manual cleaning by dismantling the throttle body from the engine and then cleaning it by hand and not just spray a cleaner into the fuel intake lines.
Is the throttle body present in Modern diesels too?
Old 18th October 2012, 22:13   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, if you haven't changed the fuel filter then it is advisable to follow the manual and get it done at the 40k kms mark since the filter is nearing the end of its serviceable life.

Not recommended if you have already done it at the 20k kms mark and have been filling in good quality fuel. Injector cleaning is actually not required unless one faces problems with fuel-flow or a jerky throttle.

Just ask them to check the steering components, ball joints and drive line bushes for wear. If the car is running fine, you don't have much to worry about.
thanks gpa,
will get the fuel filter changed and throttle body cleaned. will leave the injectors alone (was wanting to see them fire just for knowledge) unless they push for it. hope the effects of the new filter and clean throttle body wont be nullified because the injectors are unclean, so will take a spot decision on that.

That is the problem with most places, if you ask them if theres a problem with something, they tend to find one (though this place seems to be quite honest). So, was asking if something is generally worn out after 40k and 5 years. will ask them to check though.
thanks a lot for the help.
Old 21st October 2012, 23:51   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Throttle body cleaning and injector cleaning are different. The throttle body is the part of the air intake system that controls the amount of air flowing into the engine and it is recommended that you get it cleaned at the 40k kms mark. You will be amazed at the amount of gunk and carbon build-up that is left inside the throttle body.
hello gpa, i went through an online easy DIY of cleaning the throttle body. I did not remove the whole thing. just removed the hose that goes from the air filter box to the throttle body. on removing i could see the butterfly valve and the notch with the sensor in it. similar to this pic:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ottle_body.jpg

similar to this pic the valve and visible area looked clean. i wiped with a soft cloth and got nothing on it. so atleast that part is clean.
Now does the carbon builup occur over here or some other inner part of it? if this is the part that needs to be cleaned then i guess its already ok. If the interior has to be checked then i might go for throttle body cleaning at the workshop. any idea how much it would cost? i know injector cleaning is 400+taxes at this mass.
Old 28th October 2012, 23:33   #236
BHPian

Quote:
hello,

got the 40k ALTO service done a couple of days back. replaced fuel filter ~Rs290. They checked the throttle body and said its clean, no need to do anything with it. Changed the brake pads also.

They said that suspension needs an overhaul. both front shock absorbers (i think they are called dampers) were leaking and needed to be replaced. also i was told that both the front suspension arms were worn out and should be replaced immediately. So i got arms replaced but kept the shockers till i could get advice over here.

Now i am satisfied with the work of this MASS called CareTaker in Panchkula. they are generally honest and do a good job.
But the Maruti service (labour) charges are really too high. They charged me Rs875+ tax for service of ALTO. in addition 250 for brake pad change.

The suspension arms cost Rs 585 each so Rs 1170 for both and some bushings ~ Rs 150.
this job took at most 15min and the labour for the same was 550+tax !
i dont know how Rs 550 for a 15min job can be justified.

They say shockers are 1160x2 = Rs 2320. and including some bushings and labour it will come to ~ Rs 3800!
I dont want to spend Rs 1200-1400 as labour for an hour's work. So im going to get this done at local workshop.
If anyone has any idea about which shockers i should get please tell me. ive heard gabriel are good. are the OE ones gas filled or oil filled?
Old 29th October 2012, 16:21   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello,

Now i am satisfied with the work of this MASS called CareTaker in Panchkula. they are generally honest and do a good job.
But the Maruti service (labour) charges are really too high. They charged me Rs875+ tax for service of ALTO. in addition 250 for brake pad change.

The suspension arms cost Rs 585 each so Rs 1170 for both and some bushings ~ Rs 150.
this job took at most 15min and the labour for the same was 550+tax !
i dont know how Rs 550 for a 15min job can be justified.

They say shockers are 1160x2 = Rs 2320. and including some bushings and labour it will come to ~ Rs 3800!
I dont want to spend Rs 1200-1400 as labour for an hour's work. So im going to get this done at local workshop.
If anyone has any idea about which shockers i should get please tell me. ive heard gabriel are good. are the OE ones gas filled or oil filled?
They did the job that fast as they have dedicated jigs and fixtures. The same job may take upwards of two hours in an independent workshop if the jigs & fixtures are not there. You may not want them to hammer the parts out and in, do you.

For shockers, or any other MUL parts, go to any authorised Maruti Spare part shop and the relevant parts. They are genuine OE and cost a lot less than at the MASS.

Last edited by Aroy : 29th October 2012 at 16:22.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 09:56   #238
BHPian

@GTO, Are the following really required:

1. Brake cleaning - Front and Back (Pads, Drums)
2. Caliper(Brake) Greasing

Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 11:45   #239
BHPian

Making and following a checklist is one part of the story. Checking whether it is done properly is the remaining part. How to do that. Since i left my car for an oil change. I cam home and took out the oil level indicator. It was the same black color and the stickiness was not much difference. I am ready to spend half a day sitting near the car monitoring it. But everyone cannot afford the same. And what about the gear box oil, the coolant and other stuff. Anyone ??
Old 15th February 2013, 14:16   #240

SWIFT 30K Servicing due - what to expect & suggested service station in West Delhi

Dear Mods,

I had posted this query on a seemingly dormant threadhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...000-km-11.html.

I waited for almost 4 days for anyone to reply but alas!

I am past my due servicing date (want to keep my car in top shape) and hence opening a new thread.

Please merge/move as necessary.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I have 30K service due for my SWIFT VDI. While I have been diligent in the servicing, I somehow feel I have been taken for a ride by DD motors. My regular service station has been DD motors Wazirpur (from where I purchased my car) and I have been getting a bill around 7-7.5 for 10K (which should have been free)and 20K which included 1200-1300 as labor charges.
Few niggles that I observe -
Gear shifting is not as smooth as it used to be,
the typical diesel engine sound (trrr, trrr, trrr) has suddenly gone up,
few weeks earlier in the dead cold my car refused to start and
most significantly when I take a turn on a serpentine road, I feel that is car is swaying tangentially

My queries
1. What should I get serviced at 30K ?. I am already planning a radiator flush, oil change, wheel alignment, rotation,balancing. Please suggest others
2. I had raised this issue of high labor charges last time and they replied that it is same everywhere. Is this true?
3. I am planning to switch this time to Maruti Owned Service Station at Naraina. Can anybody guide me if that would be a correct choice
4. I find the driver seat quite uncomfortable (which has resulted in prolonged back ache. I have a daily drive of around ~100 kms) and while I have managed till now by Amaron back support and tail bone support, i would like to get some supported seat covers. Can anyone guide me where can I get those
5. Great car detailing places in West Delhi

I know this an exhaustive list but these questions have been lingering around in my mind for quite some time.

Thank you in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks