Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 17:48   #271
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
Do I need to change all the oils/fluids now along with the air filter?
Yes it a better option to change the engine oil and air filter at the same time for easy remembering.

Quote:
Do oils really get degraded with time?
Yes they do. That's why the limit is 10 K kms or 1 year which ever is earlier. If the oil is retained more than recruited the viscosity will degrade and the oil will not work as it should.

Regarding the gear oil or any other it is made of specific gaffe and the working environment is different when compared to engine oils. That is why the time difference is given.

Quote:
I prefer to buy oils from the market and get my mechanic to change them.
If I am not wrong your car would still be under warranty (if you have taken extended warranty). If you get it serviced outside you will lose on warranty.

Anurag.
Old 30th October 2013, 22:53   #272
BHPian

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If I am not wrong your car would still be under warranty (if you have taken extended warranty). If you get it serviced outside you will lose on warranty.
Anurag.
The warranty expired on completion of 3 years so I am free to use any workshop.
Old 31st October 2013, 11:37   #273
Senior - BHPian

The oil rarely degenerates with time. It is the additives in the oil that degenerate, hence the 1 year oil change interval.

When the engine runs, a lot of combustion byproducts find their way to the oil (acids, tar etc). With a low mileage use, the engine does not attain sufficient temperature to evaporate them, which degrades the oil's functioning, hence the oil has to be changed at lower mileage.

Gear oils do not collect combustion byproducts hence they do not deteriorate as much as engine oils, but viscosity modifiers and other additives may. With time gear/differential oil may accumulate moisture which not only reduces the working viscosity, but may lead to rusting of internal parts, hence it too has to be changed periodically.

Brake oil is more hygroscopic than gear oil, hence assimilates water faster. Water in brake lines reduce the efficiency of the brakes, hence they need to be changed at intervals more frequent than gear oils.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 16:24   #274
BHPian

After getting my Swift K-Series serviced, I noticed that the mechanic had put all 3.5 ltr of the engine oil instead of 3.2 ltr recommended. I was supposed to check the level on dipstick later once the car was not elevated but forgot. I came home, checked (cold engine) and found out that the il level is above the upper limit.

Do I need to go back to the mechanic to drain the 300 ml of extra oil in the engine? He did the same thing to the Zen which has an extra 200 ml of engine oil!

Also, I don't think the old coolant was flushed properly since the new one added was less than recommended and the level was fine. He just put some water in the radiator and drained it. What is the right way to flush out all the old coolant?

Last edited by heysac : 4th December 2013 at 16:25.
Old 4th December 2013, 16:39   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After getting my Swift K-Series serviced, I noticed that the mechanic had put all 3.5 ltr of the engine oil instead of 3.2 ltr recommended. I was supposed to check the level on dipstick later once the car was not elevated but forgot. I came home, checked (cold engine) and found out that the il level is above the upper limit.

Do I need to go back to the mechanic to drain the 300 ml of extra oil in the engine? He did the same thing to the Zen which has an extra 200 ml of engine oil!

Also, I don't think the old coolant was flushed properly since the new one added was less than recommended and the level was fine. He just put some water in the radiator and drained it. What is the right way to flush out all the old coolant?

Yes, get the excess engine oil removed ASAP. Its dangerous.

The correct way is to use a radiator flush wherein you add the cleaning agent into your radiator and run for a 20-30 kms and then later drain. This is usually not necessary unless your radiator is clogged due to scaling. Removing the radiator outlet and letting all the fluid drain is also OK. Only point that needs to be ensured is that the ratio of Water : Coolant must be correct
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:09   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I came home, checked (cold engine) and found out that the il level is above the upper limit.
Check this thread for understanding how to remove excess engine oil.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3129675
Old 8th May 2014, 17:49   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
coolant (mixed with water) has a lower freezing point and higher boiling point than water. Hence you can run your car longer with coolant than without
Is there any harm if i run my car with only pure coolant versus coolant mixed with water? My dad used to always run 100% coolant in his cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Thanks for this valuable information, I made a list of the same and went to my neighborhood work shop...and this what I was told about the checklist..
==========
I also got a product i.e. called System G, its a petrol additive, Rs.220 for 200 Ml..has anyone actually used it ? is it recommended ?

Where on Earth did you buy System G? I have been trying to buy it but can't find it anywhere even along the highway right up to Kandivali here in Mumbai. I can although buy the Indian oil version of it. But even that is available only at one petrol pump along nh8.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th May 2014 at 19:07. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 8th May 2014, 18:26   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifightforuser31 View Post
Where on Earth did you buy System G? I have been trying to buy it but can't find it anywhere even along the highway right up to Kandivali here in Mumbai. I can although buy the Indian oil version of it. But even that is available only at one petrol pump along nh8.
I buy it online from automotivesoul.com. It looks like the domain is now expired when I visit it, so you might want to try visiting it after a few days.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 19:35   #279

Does anyone know how to set the spark plug gap?
Old 9th May 2014, 10:09   #280
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will need to use a blade-style feeler gauge that's specified with the correct gap for your car. Usually, this is not a DIY since spark plug gaps are usually adjusted by the service centre when you change them.
Old 10th May 2014, 16:49   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where on Earth did you buy System G?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I buy it online from automotivesoul.com. It looks like the domain is now expired when I visit it, so you might want to try visiting it after a few days.
Hey, the site is online now, but System G and System D are out of stock at the moment. You can register to be notified once its back in stock at http://automotivesoul.com/shop/91/shopbrowse.

Once you order it, it is shipped promptly, and is well packaged.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 12:48   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have to get a set of feeler gauges, and a spark plug spanner. Find out the correct gap and use the gauge to set it. Normally the gap increases with age and you have to close it. In modern engines the plugs rarely require setting and are best replaced every 20,000 kilometers.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 13:51   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You have to get a set of feeler gauges, and a spark plug spanner. Find out the correct gap and use the gauge to set it. Normally the gap increases with age and you have to close it. In modern engines the plugs rarely require setting and are best replaced every 20,000 kilometers.
Ok. But I have one doubt, I get a lot of rattle and vibration in my engine when in idle. Also, the Chevrolet guys had put a broken spark plug int my engine and stuck it together with fevi-kwik. Now I get fuel economy of around 9-10 kmpl which sucks because my air con is dead (once again thanks to chevy service).
Old 18th May 2014, 19:37   #284
BANNED

Quote:

Also, the Chevrolet guys had put a broken spark plug int my engine and stuck it together with fevi-kwik. Now I get fuel economy of around 9-10 kmpl which sucks because my air con is dead (once again thanks to chevy service).
Fewi Kwik for critical parts of the engine? Are the service centre guys out of their mind?

What is the point in putting a broken spark plug with fewi kwik to a working engine? How should one remove that plug now?

What is the issue with the AC?

Frankly suggest you to chuck that Chevy ASC and go somewhere else.
Old 19th May 2014, 19:56   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Fewi Kwik for critical parts of the engine? Are the service centre guys out of their mind?

What is the point in putting a broken spark plug with fewi kwik to a working engine? HoHoVw should one remove that plug now?

What is the issue with the AC?

Frankly suggest you to chuck that Chevy ASC and go somewhere else.
Lol. I chucked that. By then they started 2 new ASC near or place. Both useless. Note even a friend has problem in his engine.
I will start a separate thread for my air con problem.
They are asking me to shell out 25 k for a new compressor after I spent 5k for the gas change which promptly leaked in 7 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks