Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 11:58   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't understand why you posted this link - I am not interested in any accessories.
It was to give the list of genuine parts dealers and not list of accessories. There is a separate thread, and since you are in Mumbai, this piece of information may be helpful for you.
As I mentioned, I purchased oil filter and other stuff from genuine parts outlets, and got oil change done outside.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ml#post2061484
Old 10th November 2010, 12:00   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
It was to give the list of genuine parts dealers and not list of accessories.
I couldn't find a list of genuine part dealers in that link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
As I mentioned, I purchased oil filter and other stuff from genuine parts outlets, and got oil change done outside.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ml#post2061484
Thank you. When you purchase spares from them, do you just say "I want a Maruti Swift Air Filter" or do you have to specify part number etc?

Last edited by carboy : 10th November 2010 at 12:02.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:04   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey carboy, dont know the technical terms for the Swift coolant. Perhaps someone who has a Swift can say for sure. But on a side-note, ive noticed (& seen this first hand) people using normal mineral water instead of coolant (And i do mean permanently).

If not a permanent fix, this can be a temporary stop-gap solution till you can lay your hands on proper coolant.
From a Swift Zxi owner's perspective the technical term for Swift's coolant is : Coolant

Allow me to elaborate further.

The concentrate is made up of various constituents which have different properties and thereby various functions as given below

Primary function : It is an anti freeze agent and is more useful in colder climates such as in Europe, Japan and the North American continent, where cars regularly get snowed in/on during winters.

Secondary function : To accelerate the rate of heat transfer both in the water jacket and in the condenser

Third function : Anti rust agent

Water's Function : To provide heat transfer

If required the present day cooling systems can be run on 100% water in our climatic conditions. The drawbacks will be that we will have to top up more often and over a long period of time we will see the cooling system rusting and springing leaks or getting choked up, just like the Ambassador & Fiat days.

BTW as long as you do not pour in 'hard' water and/or mineral enriched/sparkling bottled water any other type of water i.e tap, distilled or plain bottled water is OK.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:14   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
From a Swift Zxi owner's perspective the technical term for Swift's coolant is : Coolant

Allow me to elaborate further.

The concentrate is made up of various constituents which have different properties and thereby various functions as given below

Primary function : It is an anti freeze agent and is more useful in colder climates such as in Europe, Japan and the North American continent, where cars regularly get snowed in/on during winters.

Secondary function : To accelerate the rate of heat transfer both in the water jacket and in the condenser

Third function : Anti rust agent

Water's Function : To provide heat transfer

If required the present day cooling systems can be run on 100% water in our climatic conditions. The drawbacks will be that we will have to top up more often and over a long period of time we will see the cooling system rusting and springing leaks or getting choked up, just like the Ambassador & Fiat days.

BTW as long as you do not pour in 'hard' water and/or mineral enriched/sparkling bottled water any other type of water i.e tap, distilled or plain bottled water is OK.
Thank you, Khoj.

The Swift handbook recommends changing coolant only at 20000 km intervals, I think. So what should be done in between? Should I top up with distilled water or with Coolant + water?

Also, my car currently has a blue coloured coolant. I have looked around it in shops, petrol pumps for a coolant. Green Coolants are easily available all over the place - they are available in both premixed & concentrated forms. They are available in as small quantities as 250 ml. But blue coolant is not so easy to find? They come in a minimum of 1 litre & even that isn't so easy to find. A shopkeeper even told me that at the next service, I should ask the service guys to replace the blue with green, so that topping up would be easier.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:30   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
When you purchase spares from them, do you just say "I want a Maruti Swift Air Filter" or do you have to specify part number etc?
With thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of parts nobody is expected to know the part numbers. The common parts such as filters, wiper blades and door handles etc are easy to pick out but otherwise the authorised retailer will have 'spare parts reference books' provided by the company. When one asks for Swift's part, they will open up the Swift's book, which will index the parts per their location in the car and/or by the assembly type. Within that the parts will be depicted in pictures and there will be another internal index for that assembly listing all the parts in the picture and so on and so forth. That allows them to get the correct part number and pull it from their stores.

@Carboy, You can top up with water and that should be all right. If however you feel that the colour is too diluted then you may go to the service center and they depending on how close your vehicle is to the recommended change interval or on demand, will replace the entire contents or top up with a coolant+water mix. For top ups they will charge you only for the amount poured and not by the liter.

Do not be surprised if your service center also tops up with just water. See the trick is that it is ok to run the coolant mix at a level where the proportion of the coolant is less than the recommended level. On the flip side having a higher than recommended proportion of the coolant in the mix can be harmfull, especially to the impellers of the water pump.

As for the Blue and Green colours, well they hardly make a difference. It depends what base colour a particular manufacturer has used. Just go with what your service center has. If you buy yourself, ensure to get a good brand like TVS-Girling, Mobil or Shell and you will be good to go.

Last edited by khoj : 10th November 2010 at 12:49.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:41   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Are these the only four MGP stores in Mumbai?
They arent owned by Maruti if thats what you mean by MGP Store. They are independent shops which BHP members have bought spares from & have written a review to share this information with us after having a pleasant experience.

Its all part of the Team-BHP Directory - Team-BHP Directory - Team-BHP

Last edited by Xehaust : 10th November 2010 at 13:43.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:15   #187
BHPian

Hi finally got the car serviced couple of days back for completing 40K kms on my Wagon R after lot of discussions with SA of M.A.S.S. Still the bill came up to Rs. 7388 (Including tax) - which is on higher side. The following tasks were performed and parts were changed as a part of service:

Parts:

Clip - Rs. 14.56
15 Amphere plug - Rs. 12.70
Spark Plug - Rs. 211.44
Air cleaner element - Rs. 167.40
Fuel filter comp - Rs. 239.65
MPFI Oil filter - Rs. 69.60
Non Amine Coolant - Rs. 207.05
Brake fluid - Rs. 273.12
Screen Wash concentrate - Rs. 13.22
Engine Oil - Rs. 847.56
Gear Oil - Rs. 707.50
Engine Flush - Rs. 528.63

Labour
Paid Service - Rs. 780
Drum brakes cleaning - Rs. 220
Brake Bleeding - Rs. 220
Consumables - Rs. 110
Upholstery Cleaning - Rs. 715
Engine Decarbonizing - Rs. 1265

Total Including Tax: Rs. 7388

Experts in this area can you please provide further comments on the above? It will really help me understand in more detail - All ears!
Old 15th November 2010, 19:58   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Hi finally got the car serviced couple of days back for completing 40K kms on my Wagon R after lot of discussions with SA of M.A.S.S. Still the bill came up to Rs. 7388 (Including tax) - which is on higher side. The following tasks were performed and parts were changed as a part of service:

Parts:

Clip - Rs. 14.56
15 Amphere plug - Rs. 12.70
Spark Plug - Rs. 211.44
Air cleaner element - Rs. 167.40
Fuel filter comp - Rs. 239.65
MPFI Oil filter - Rs. 69.60
Non Amine Coolant - Rs. 207.05
Brake fluid - Rs. 273.12
Screen Wash concentrate - Rs. 13.22
Engine Oil - Rs. 847.56
Gear Oil - Rs. 707.50
Engine Flush - Rs. 528.63

Labour
Paid Service - Rs. 780
Drum brakes cleaning - Rs. 220
Brake Bleeding - Rs. 220
Consumables - Rs. 110
Upholstery Cleaning - Rs. 715
Engine Decarbonizing - Rs. 1265

Total Including Tax: Rs. 7388

Experts in this area can you please provide further comments on the above? It will really help me understand in more detail - All ears!
Why were the Engine Flush, Engine Decard & Upholstery cleaning done?
Did you specifically ask for these? These aren't part of the manufacturer recommended 40K service.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:11   #189
BHPian

@Carboy i was reluctant to do these items done but SA informed me that it is critical to do the same since i had gone on long drive on some rough roads for majority of time since my last service. Last service was done at 35000 kms. Thus out of 5000 kms run around 4000 kms were run on highways. SA told me that there are high likely changes of carbon built up so flushing and decarb was necessary which will also help to increase the mileage (Not sure how far its true?)

Regarding Upholstery cleaning - I believe this is cosmetic looks to the interiors? This may have been done as my interiors were not cleaned for ages plus i have a pet dog whom i left in boarding in bangalore in my car before i went out of station. The interiors were really dusty and soiled!!

Just FYI - My Wagon R owner's manual strangely does not have any service checklist beyond 30000 kms hence its making by situation complex

Last edited by lazybrain : 15th November 2010 at 20:13.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:37   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
As for the Blue and Green colours, well they hardly make a difference. It depends what base colour a particular manufacturer has used. Just go with what your service center has. If you buy yourself, ensure to get a good brand like TVS-Girling, Mobil or Shell and you will be good to go.
Got the Aveo serviced @ 30K kms. Poured new coolant 2 litres + 3 litres tap water from the garage assuming 1 litre residual left in the system (total capacity 6 litres) after having flushed out the old mix by decoupling the rubber hose between the radiator and the plastic reservoir.

A correction to my above post Mobil does not make coolant concentrate. I poured 'Purocool' made by Anand Ltd who also make Purolator oil filters. Neither TVS Girling nor Shell were available. BTW the old coolant was red in colour
Old 15th November 2010, 22:11   #191
BANNED

Quote:
@Carboy i was reluctant to do these items done but SA informed me that it is critical to do the same since i had gone on long drive on some rough roads for majority of time since my last service. Last service was done at 35000 kms. Thus out of 5000 kms run around 4000 kms were run on highways. SA told me that there are high likely changes of carbon built up so flushing and decarb was necessary which will also help to increase the mileage (Not sure how far its true?)
I ran 35000 of my first 40000 kms on the Bombay-Pune expressway.
Also, I don't think Maruti requires service at 5000 kms intervals - as
per the handbook, only things reqd at 5000 km intervals are
- Checking the suspension
- Cleaning the airfilter
- Rotating tyres, I think.

Anyway, IMHO, you don't need a engine decarb & flushing at 40000 km - I'll let other experts here pitch in.

And if you were advised by the SA that this is critical, then you should probably complain to Maruti - Maruti is usually prompt in contacting you.

During one of my services, I forgot to carry my handbook. I asked the service advisor to do only things which are there in the handbook & nothing more. He gave me an estimate & a list of stuff. Since I didn't have the handbook with me, I asked him twice if all these things are absolutely reqd by the handbook - he said yes. While coming back to collect the car & pay, I checked the list against the handbook - one of the things was not mentioned in the handbook - additives. So I fired him & asked to speak to customer service guy in the dealership. They immediatelly waived the charges for the additives though it was already done.

Quote:
Regarding Upholstery cleaning - I believe this is cosmetic looks to the interiors? This may have been done as my interiors were not cleaned for ages plus i have a pet dog whom i left in boarding in bangalore in my car before i went out of station. The interiors were really dusty and soiled!!
But did you ask them to do it? If not, they were out of line. I would never pay for anything I didn't ask them to do.

Did they give you an estimate before the job - did they list this cleaning there?
Old 15th November 2010, 23:10   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I don't think Maruti requires service at 5000 kms intervals
My Wagon R manual mentions servicing every 5000 kms.

Quote:
as
per the handbook, only things reqd at 5000 km intervals are
- Checking the suspension
- Cleaning the airfilter
- Rotating tyres, I think.
Dont they also check engine oil, coolant, brake oil levels etc at this point?

Quote:
And if you were advised by the SA that this is critical, then you should probably complain to Maruti - Maruti is usually prompt in contacting you.
Advise taken - I will complain to maruti people and let me see what they have to say!

Quote:
While coming back to collect the car & pay, I checked the list against the handbook - one of the things was not mentioned in the handbook
Thats the irony - My service manual does not mention any to do checklist after 30000 Kms. May be other second generation Wagon R owners can confirm here whether they also have the same problem. If its only me then its a serious problem and i need to report this to maruti guys. BTW - I asked the same thing to M.A.S.S guys at least twice about this after I gave my car for servicing beyond 30000 kms and i got only vague answers.
Old 16th November 2010, 00:53   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the irony - My service manual does not mention any to do checklist after 30000 Kms. May be other second generation Wagon R owners can confirm here whether they also have the same problem. If its only me then its a serious problem and i need to report this to maruti guys. BTW - I asked the same thing to M.A.S.S guys at least twice about this after I gave my car for servicing beyond 30000 kms and i got only vague answers.
Why bother, Maruti knows that they designed the car for a lifespan of 30,000 Kilometers anything that the customer gets beyond this is a bonus
Old 24th January 2011, 12:37   #194
BHPian

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Guys,

Any idea what is the difference between AC servicing and AC gas top up. M.A.S.S. advised me to go for AC servicing which costs around Rs 2500(includes cleaning of vent and air intake as explained by SA). Whereas from t-bhp threads I can make out that gas top up ranges from Rs 700 to Rs 1200 depending on car.

I have a wagon r that has done 39k kms and AC has started giving a hissing sound. The cooling has also reduced a bit. Don't they recharge gas when we give the car for servicing?

It will be gr8 if someone can advise me which one to go for.

Thanks,
Old 24th January 2011, 13:33   #195
BANNED

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by footloose15 View Post
I have a wagon r that has done 39k kms and AC has started giving a hissing sound. The cooling has also reduced a bit. Don't they recharge gas when we give the car for servicing?
Why should they? Unless there is a leak there shouldn't be any need to top up the gas. How do you know cooling has reduced - ask them to put a probe into the vents & see what's the temperature?

If there is a leak, then the leak needs to be fixed before recharging.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks