Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 15:56   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
...3K/year, but have changed ...spark plugs every year.
What is the logic of changing spark plugs every year, even when they've only done 3k km? They don't exhibit any time-linked degradation of quality or performance in any case!
Old 16th June 2013, 10:47   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What is the logic of changing spark plugs every year, even when they've only done 3k km? They don't exhibit any time-linked degradation of quality or performance in any case!
Not much logic. As my usual journeys are very short - 200-400m between starts, the plugs get pretty sooty after one year, so I have to open them up for inspection any way. I have also observed that the tips do get corroded after one year, hence I change them even though they have done 3k km instead of recommended 15k. Yes I can get then sand blasted and gaps reset, but changing them is the easier way out (and at times as expensive as paying for sand blasting, cleaning and resetting the gap).

After every service I do see an increase in FE for some time, but nothing compared to increase after taking a long ride of 100km+ on the highways at 90-100km/h.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 09:39   #258
BHPian

SX4 Petrol oil change schedule; filters

My SX4 manual says (after free services are over) to do a periodic maintenance every 10K Kms or every year whichever occurs first, and to replace the "Air Cleaner Filter Element" every 2.5K Kms to 5K kms (depending on dusty/clean drives).

I am guessing the advisory about 10K/1 Yr is not totally correct, and that we need to do some service (perhaps just an engine oil and filter change?) more frequently, like every 6 mths/5K kms. Can someone confirm?

And is "Air Cleaner Filter Element" the right term to tell the svc advisor? I believe this is the engine air filter; not to be confused with engine oil filter, or fuel filter, or cabin filter. Am I right?

Lastly, the manual says nothing about the cabin filter. How often should this be replaced (I am worried about catching allergies)?

Thanks,
Venkat
Old 19th August 2013, 12:23   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SX4 Petrol oil change schedule; filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
My SX4 manual says (after free services are over) to do a periodic maintenance every 10K Kms or every year whichever occurs first, and to replace the "Air Cleaner Filter Element" every 2.5K Kms to 5K kms (depending on dusty/clean drives).

I am guessing the advisory about 10K/1 Yr is not totally correct, and that we need to do some service (perhaps just an engine oil and filter change?) more frequently, like every 6 mths/5K kms. Can someone confirm?

And is "Air Cleaner Filter Element" the right term to tell the svc advisor? I believe this is the engine air filter; not to be confused with engine oil filter, or fuel filter, or cabin filter. Am I right?

Lastly, the manual says nothing about the cabin filter. How often should this be replaced (I am worried about catching allergies)?

Thanks,
Venkat
The term that is normally used is the 'air filter' rather than the filter element & is not an expensive part. Should be around 300-400 bucks and should last 4-5K kms.

If the manual says an oil change every 10K kms, then you should be good doing it 7-8 K kms while using a good quality engine oil like Magnatec, etc. The normal life span in terms of time is like 1 year. 6 months is too quick for an oil change if you have not clocked the requisite kms. With engine oil change, of course the oil filter needs a change, which again is not an expensive part, may be around 100-150 bucks for the SX4.

I am sure that someone more knowledgeable on the cabin filters issue will speak up soon.

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 19th August 2013 at 12:27.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:35   #260
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Venkat
Hi Venkat,
The servicing schedule of most cars these days is the 10k kms or 1 year whichever is earlier, the 5k kms or 6 months was followed for older generation cars mainly because of the lower quality of engine oil that was used in those days.
However, its not a bad idea to do a service every 5k kms if your vehicle is being used in rough roads and dusty conditions where the fuel quality may not be that great.
If the case is otherwise its alright to stick with the schedule the service manual suggests.

Regarding the air filter element of your car. Its is best to replace the filter at 20,000kms and have it cleaned every 5000 kms, and yes it is normally called the engine air-filter. But the engine oil filter and engine oil should be replaced every 10,000kms along with the fuel filter. Now your AC cabin filter may be cleaned during every service or at earlier intervals depending on the type of filter used in your car. You may ask your service adviser about the type that is used in your car and what he suggests. drive safe

cheers,
Saud
Old 19th August 2013, 13:06   #261
BHPian

Airfilter needs to be replaced every 20k kms. It would be air-blow cleaned every 5k kms as part of regular service. Oil needs to be changed every 10k kms or 1 year along with oil filter.In the 5k check service, the oil level would be checked and appropriate action taken.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:47   #262
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Venkat
Hello vharihar,

SX4 does not come with cabin air filter by default. However you can get it fixed separately. It costs around 350 rupees few months ago when I fixed it.

The cabin air filter has to inspected during services and replace it based on the condition. If you use the car on dusty conditions you might have replace it frequently.

/S5157
Old 21st October 2013, 14:22   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Airfilter needs to be replaced every 20k kms. It would be air-blow cleaned every 5k kms as part of regular service. Oil needs to be changed every 10k kms or 1 year along with oil filter.In the 5k check service, the oil level would be checked and appropriate action taken.
That has me puzzled now. What is this "regular service" every 5K kms? That makes it sound like some service needs to be done every 5K kms. But my understanding (based also on my extensive car ownership experience in the US) is that a plain vanilla oil-change is the lowest form of regular service that one can do for a car! Are you saying there is something even plainer that needs to be done every 5K?

Most people on this forum seem to be saying that an oil change every year/10K kms should be fine, if the manual says so.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:27   #264
BHPian

Quote:
That has me puzzled now. What is this "regular service" every 5K kms? That makes it sound like some service needs to be done every 5K kms. But my understanding (based also on my extensive car ownership experience in the US) is that a plain vanilla oil-change is the lowest form of regular service that one can do for a car! Are you saying there is something even plainer that needs to be done every 5K?

Most people on this forum seem to be saying that an oil change every year/10K kms should be fine, if the manual says so.
Check the owner's manual. That will have all details. 5k service is for inspection of the car/ cleaning of air filter/ spark plugs. Replacement/topups only if deemed necessary after inspection. 5k is more of a inspection/cleaning service.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:38   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is this "regular service" every 5K kms?
There is no two level of services. For SX4 and for all other Maruti car's (not sure of M800 though) service interval is at 10K KM's or 1 year which ever is earlier. During which oil & oil filter is changed.

Engine air filter interval is bit confusing though. As per Altos manual replacement interval is 40K KM's but they mention it to be cleaned at every 5000 Kms if drive is on paved road (non - dusty condition) or to clean it every 2500 Kms if drive is on dusty condition.

AC air filter is ~ 350 Rs add on, this does not come as part of the vehicle but is available as MGA. You can change it each time your car goes for service or based on your like (when foul smell coming from AC). Since this is not part of standard fitment service interval of the same will not be mentioned in service booklet.

The 5000 Kms service interval suggested by service agents is a fraud. However if your running is low then may be you can get the car washed (~Rs1100) and along with that clean Engine air filter also. Personally I don't go for the 5000 Kms services.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 21st October 2013 at 14:39.
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:04   #266
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on how much you run and in what conditions.
. Engine oil degrades both with time and with running. If you are mostly doing very short trips (as I do), where the engine does not get time to heat up properly, then the oil will degrade faster. If you are doing only long highway runs the oil will degrade at a much lower rate.

. The replacement/cleaning of air filter is totally dependent on how dusty the conditions are. Driving on highways on relatively dust free coastal roads the air filter will last ages. If you are driving in extremely dusty conditions - sand storm, mines or dirt tracks the filter will get clogged in as little as 1000 km.
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:52   #267
BANNED

Quote:

That has me puzzled now. What is this "regular service" every 5K kms? That makes it sound like some service needs to be done every 5K kms.
It is absolutely not needed to go for that 5K service. MASS call this service as 'preventive service' or 'precautionary service'. They only wash the car and check the fluids level in the car and tighten the bolts if an are found loose.

Everytime I give my Ritz for 10K service the is a slip reminding me for the 5K service visit. I tear and throw it in their dustbin. I clock 3K kms a month so the 10K service itself comes up every 3 months.

The SA who deals with my car from Day 1 says the 5K service called by MASS is of no sense and only to increase customer satisfaction and to ensure them all is well.

Quote:
Follow the owners manual. It is the bible for maintenance. No one knows the car be than its maker, so follow the manual without an issue.

Anurag.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:27   #268
BHPian

My 2010 Swift K-Series has not been driven much, only about 6,200 kms since we had two cars and I work from home. The car is driven in a mixed environment in Delhi-Gurgaon with long trips only once or twice a year. Do I need to change all the oils/fluids now along with the air filter? Do oils really get degraded with time? I prefer to buy oils from the market and get my mechanic to change them. Any recommendations for gear oil, brake oil, etc?
Old 30th October 2013, 14:40   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
My 2010 Swift K-Series has not been driven much, only about 6,200 kms since we had two cars and I work from home. The car is driven in a mixed environment in Delhi-Gurgaon with long trips only once or twice a year. Do I need to change all the oils/fluids now along with the air filter? Do oils really get degraded with time? I prefer to buy oils from the market and get my mechanic to change them. Any recommendations for gear oil, brake oil, etc?
Does it mean you have not changed the oil till now after purchase. In that case though your car has not reached the threshold for oil change based on KM's covered, it is above 3 years old. Usually oil change interval is mentioned as 1 year. I suggest you change the engine oil and filter immediately.

Gear and break oil also has crossed it time for change, however since your trips are short may be you can wait for few more months in case you don't want to change it now (else interval for the same is 20K KM's or 2 years).

Air filter cleaning will do, no need to change the same as of now. For oil brand I guess you can check in any of the numerous Swift threads.
Old 30th October 2013, 16:27   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Does it mean you have not changed the oil till now after purchase.
Thanks! The oil was changed last Dec and I am planning to change it annually.

Is there any scientific evidence that the oil degrades with time and if so after how much time? The argument is that if some type of oils need to be changed after 4 years then why does on need to change the engine oil after one year even if the engine hasn't been run for more than a few thousand KMs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks