Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 02:10   #166
BHPian

Hey carboy, dont know the technical terms for the Swift coolant. Perhaps someone who has a Swift can say for sure. But on a side-note, ive noticed (& seen this first hand) people using normal mineral water instead of coolant (And i do mean permanently).

If not a permanent fix, this can be a temporary stop-gap solution till you can lay your hands on proper coolant.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:03   #167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey carboy, dont know the technical terms for the Swift coolant. Perhaps someone who has a Swift can say for sure. But on a side-note, ive noticed (& seen this first hand) people using normal mineral water instead of coolant (And i do mean permanently).

If not a permanent fix, this can be a temporary stop-gap solution till you can lay your hands on proper coolant.
Is it mineral water or distilled water?

Actually, I went to a petrol pump service station today. He had a coolant which he said was the right one for the swift. But he said he will just add the whole bottle (1 litre, I think). However the manual says that I should mix it with distilled water(50-50) & add it. The manual says it's dangerous to add more than 70% coolant. So I am thinking that I would just buy a bottle distilled water & a bottle of coolant & add both to it.
Old 1st November 2010, 10:20   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is it mineral water or distilled water?

Actually, I went to a petrol pump service station today. He had a coolant which he said was the right one for the swift. But he said he will just add the whole bottle (1 litre, I think). However the manual says that I should mix it with distilled water(50-50) & add it. The manual says it's dangerous to add more than 70% coolant. So I am thinking that I would just buy a bottle distilled water & a bottle of coolant & add both to it.
Adding distilled water, and definitely not mineral water, should only be a stop-gap solution and not a permanent one. The best approach is, for topping up the coolant, just pour the concentrated coolant in the coolant reserver. If you are refilling the entire coolant, then it should be in a 50-50 ratio with distilled water. The manual also says the same.
Old 1st November 2010, 10:32   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
Adding distilled water, and definitely not mineral water, should only be a stop-gap solution and not a permanent one. The best approach is, for topping up the coolant, just pour the concentrated coolant in the coolant reserver. If you are refilling the entire coolant, then it should be in a 50-50 ratio with distilled water. The manual also says the same.
So you are saying that if I am filling up entirely it should be a mix, but if I am just topping up, it should be just concentrated coolant?
If that's so, I don't get the logic - in a case where I am topping up, I would assume that more of water has evaporated than the coolant itself. So if just top up with coolant, won't it tip the ratio to beyond 70:30 which the Swift manual says is not good?
Old 1st November 2010, 15:28   #170
BANNED

I went to Vitesse Andheri for some other work today (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2125850). At that time, I showed the mechanic my coolant levels - it was just around 2-3 mms above the 'LOW' mark. I asked him what do I need to do. he said to fill tap water upto the full mark. I asked him if I should fill coolant and/or distilled water - he said there is enough coolant, so it's not neccessary. He also said tap water is good enough - but I think I will top it up with distilled water anyway.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:35   #171
Senior - BHPian

^^^Distilled water is the way to go, despite what the mechanic says. After all he has nothing to loose, its your car.

While topping up with dist. water won't be a terrible idea, the ideal thing to do is to dilute it in the ratio mentioned and top up with that.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:53   #172
BHPian

Guess youve gotten your answers
Should help others as well.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:42   #173
BANNED

If I want to replace my Swift Petrol's air filter, where can I buy a new airfilter from? Do Maruti Service Centers sell it OTC? Or any other place where I can buy one. I am Ok with an after market one if it's cheaper than the original and as good.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:53   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I want to replace my Swift Petrol's air filter, where can I buy a new airfilter from? Do Maruti Service Centers sell it OTC? Or any other place where I can buy one. I am Ok with an after market one if it's cheaper than the original and as good.
From personal experience, MASS have stopped selling parts OTC. To buy any part, you would need to open a job card and then the service advisor would find a mechanic to get the part for you. It took me 1 hr to get wiper blades for my Zen.

Often, when there is huge rush of cars lined up for servicing, the service advisor refrains from opening a job card for purchase of parts.

About where you can get it outside, you could try finding it in the Mumbai directory.
Old 9th November 2010, 19:25   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti has recently started Maruti Genuine Spares outlets.
I saw a few of them in Bangalore, there you will find most of the spares which you need. I recently purchased an oil filter there.

http://www.marutisuzuki.com/genuine-accessories.aspx

Last edited by sriturl : 9th November 2010 at 19:32.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:32   #176
Senior - BHPian

@sriturl, the link you mentioned is about accessories, it doesn't seem to contain any information about spares or those outlets. Does it?

BTW, any outlet in or around KA-03 area? If so please PM me.
Old 9th November 2010, 21:05   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
@sriturl, the link you mentioned is about accessories, it doesn't seem to contain any information about spares or those outlets. Does it?

BTW, any outlet in or around KA-03 area? If so please PM me.
I vaguely remember one in Domlur, but surely there is one on the way to Cant rly station, closer the signal which comes before the rly line, if you are going from ulsoor towards cant/palace road.
This is after the church, and before the signal and a marriage hall on the left.
It is vaguely around this area (center of the map, around what is marked as Coles park, on the St.Johns church road) bangalore, india - Google Maps
Old 9th November 2010, 21:07   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Maruti has recently started Maruti Genuine Spares outlets.
I saw a few of them in Bangalore, there you will find most of the spares which you need. I recently purchased an oil filter there.

Genuine Accessories
I don't understand why you posted this link - I am not interested in any accessories.
Old 10th November 2010, 08:57   #179
BHPian

Here you go, choose depending on your location:

Opera House -

Worli -

Milan Subway -

Bhiwandi - Home Delivered -

Last edited by Xehaust : 10th November 2010 at 09:02.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:27   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Here you go, choose depending on your location:

Opera House -

Worli -

Milan Subway -

Bhiwandi - Home Delivered -
Are these the only four MGP stores in Mumbai?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks