Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 13:00   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I am surprised to see Brake pads of swift cost the highest 750 rs more than even SX4. Any reason why?
Simply because Swift is the cash cow for Suzuki India !
Old 28th May 2009, 13:25   #107
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Simply because Swift is the cash cow for Suzuki India !
You might never know. This might be true!
Old 13th July 2009, 22:43   #108
BHPian

@ GTO,
Hi, water pump replacement @ 60000km. The manual says nothing about it. Would u know the cost of one for a petrol accent. I am talking of aftermarket one. Stay at Mumbai and procure it from Opera House / Koliwada.
Is it necessary @54500km.
Latest casualty on my car is fuel pump motor. Just changed to Bosch

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 13th July 2009 at 22:45.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:57   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@ GTO,
Hi, water pump replacement @ 60000km. The manual says nothing about it.
Nope, not a necessity at all. The only point in favour of this practice = convenience. The effort (labour) required in changing the timing belt alone, and replacing it along with the water pump, is identical.To change the waterpump, you would have to remove the timing belt. Think of it as preventive maintenance (considering the crucial role that the water pump plays). That's why people generally replace the water pump at the time of their timing belt replacement.

For the record, even though I asked Linkway Honda to change the water pump (at the time of my recent OHC timing belt change), they didn't. According to them, my water pump is "as good as new".
Old 14th July 2009, 14:34   #110
BHPian

@GTO,
Thanks. Anyway , is there any way to check the water pump efficiency? I mean at my local garage ? Do the hONDA a.s.s. scan it or something?
Anyway ,Cant afford the Hyundai A.S.S. . Thane Modi Hyundai Quoted me 5000 + taxes for timing belt change.
Got the belt ( make 'GATES' now OE for Rs.475/- + GMB cam belt tensioner bearing for Rs.475/- from Opera house) . You can compare it with the same change in your OHC. and fixed it with my trusted mechanic at Kurla. My cost of the work at a local garage is almost same as yours at an authorised service station.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:59   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not aware of how exactly they gauged the condition of my water pump.

Quote:
Thane Modi Hyundai Quoted me 5000 + taxes for timing belt change.
Honda was much cheaper. I paid about 1,500 bucks parts and labour included.
Old 14th July 2009, 20:13   #112
BHPian

during my last UK visit, on top of my shopping list was a Haynes Manual for my corsa. I am glad I bought it ! I learn so much from it every day , about maintenance, repair works etc
Old 4th August 2009, 11:37   #113
BHPian

Guys;

Got a Indica Xeta GLS - will complete 40000 kms - 2nd week August, just wanted to know if I should get this service done at a Bosch Repair & Maintanence shop which has come close to Oshiwara or should I stick with the tried and tested TATA Motors.

My experiences with Wasan / Vama etc., have not been that good and therefore am looking at an option. Has anyone tried JP Auto in Borivali.

Got a call from a manager of JP who said they are well equipped and they will look into all aspects at the next servicing - name - Ravi Behl.

Am going out of town in the third weekend, so your inputs will be invaluable
Old 4th August 2009, 21:55   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Got Belt from 'GATES' anf bearing from GMB. Damn thing failed. So tried the make 'Wega' , damn thing was out in alignment. So ended up replacing the original bearing after cleaning and greasing.
So not only Honda is cheaper , you could avoid the pitfalls of procuring spares after market which may not be upto mark.
Same thing happened with the fuel pump motor. This time managed to get a original hyundai one made in India , but the cylinder was too long for the collar of the assembly , so the lock couldnt fit. Ended up buying the Bosch for 2500 inr.
Is there a countersale in Hyundai in Mumbai ?
Old 6th August 2009, 22:07   #115
BHPian

Highnoon you are taking a big chance with timming belt and tensioner bearing please get them replaced again at the company workshop (Hyundai motor plaza) at gotton green, snapped timming belt can cause you damage of rebuilding the whole engine :(.
Regarding the waterpump my accent has done 73XXX no issues with water pump or timming belt as of now but i ll be replacing them soon before the 75 k mark for peace of mind.
Old 6th August 2009, 22:52   #116
BHPian

if you guys wants to maintain the car yourselves or a known mechanic, may be this would be of help. i used to get my car serviced by these guys. later, started following the schedule myself, with the help of some friends

http://www.nationwideautocentres.co....e_schedule.pdf
Old 7th August 2009, 11:39   #117
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
if you guys wants to maintain the car yourselves or a known mechanic, may be this would be of help.
vdiatech,

Thanks for the great checklist. Sure is valuable for maintenance freaks like myself It is even helpful if you are going to an A.S.S as you can ask them to check a couple of things that they tend to leave out.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 7th August 2009, 22:40   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Highnoon you are taking a big chance with timming belt and tensioner bearing please get them replaced again at the company workshop (Hyundai motor plaza) at gotton green, snapped timming belt can cause you damage of rebuilding the whole engine :(.
Regarding the waterpump my accent has done 73XXX no issues with water pump or timming belt as of now but i ll be replacing them soon before the 75 k mark for peace of mind.
Hi spookey,
My old belt was as good as new , the bearing had very slight noise. can bet it 'll last for another 20k. Shall replace then. In any case , intended to change the belt as a preventive thing only car has done 55 k only way below the recommended 80 k change.
In any case , i am going to give the car the full treatment @ 60 k km.
Shall reassess then.
As of now eevrything is top shape. unbelievable for a 6 yr. old car with 55k on the odo.
Did TD of wagon r , estilo , xeta , vista safire, indigo cs a week back.
My aged beauty can whip'um all in terms of suspension quality , ride , handling , perfomance. Cabin is more silent than the brand new cars , no rattle whatsoever.
LPG gives me 8 kmpl in city and 10/12 kmpl on the highway which is pretty economical for a car not known for fuel effeciency and economy on petrol.
In fact a client of mine gets 5kmpl on petrol in mumbai.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:43   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Anyway ,Cant afford the Hyundai A.S.S. . Thane Modi Hyundai Quoted me 5000 + taxes for timing belt change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not aware of how exactly they gauged the condition of my water pump.

Today I have given my 81000 KM run Getz for service and timing belt change to MGF Hyundai in Okhla; they too have quoted me 5K.

Strangely the service advisor told me nothing about water pump. But recommended a head cleaning (1500) and lubricant for engine (350), which I refused.

Earlier I planned to sell the Getz whenever I will buy my new car but now I plan to keep it for wifey. But I am not sure, how long can it give me trouble-free service if maintained well. And how long before an engine-overhaul/other major expenditures (clutch-plate, anything else) will be needed? Is it a good idea to keep a 1 lakh+ car, although as a secondary one?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 10th August 2009, 17:19   #120
BHPian

[quote=ntomer;1424379]Today I have given my 81000 KM run Getz for service and timing belt change to MGF Hyundai in Okhla; they too have quoted me 5K.

Now most of the replacement parts on accent are manufactured in India as in earlier it was all korean made ones which was marketed by Mobis for HMIL and mostly manufactured by Denso, Valeo etc.
Now Gates is OE for Accent cam belt and doesnt cost more than 575/- .I fail to see what else they are including in the cost for it to count 5k + taxes.
Even if you consider all 4 belts + labour + cam tensioner bearing it oughtnt cost 5k.
I replaced the 'o' rings on all my injectors cost me 800 + taxes. Didnt even bother to check the injectors as one was either clogged beyond salvage or they changed it.so after coming out from H.A.S.S., Cost me korean OE 400 INR in local market which also included the 'O' ring. SO JUST IMAGINE THE margins they are charging.
Compare that to GTO's ohc belt change at Honda workshop.
Does Hyundai warrant these kind of exorbitant pricing ?
This is the reason why Hyundai prices depreciate so badly vis a vis say Maruti .
People have to run away from authorized service stations after warranty and that too doesnt work , because quality spares are not available at reasonable rate aftermarket.
Its a vicious cycle really.
I love the car but its proving costly to keep her in great shape.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks