Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 10:32   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

I normally go to Maruti Authorized Service Station, rather than the dealer workshop. The one in front of Jorbag - Engineers Service Station is quite good for most of the jobs You can see what is being done. I some how do not like to leave the car where I cannot at least see what is going on.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 10:46   #242
BANNED

Re: SWIFT 30K Servicing due - what to expect & suggested service station in West Delh

Quote:
Originally Posted by doble u View Post
My queries
1. What should I get serviced at 30K ?. I am already planning a radiator flush, oil change, wheel alignment, rotation,balancing. Please suggest others
You car must have come with a Maruti Handbook. That mentions everything which must be done during the major and minor services. 30K would be a minor service. Overall, It shouldn't come to more than Rs. 2000 - 3000 if you get everything done.

About Wheel Alignment, Rotation and Balancing - you can get it done outside because typically many of the A S S also send it outside for this. It will be cheaper. Also my personal opinion is that Balancing is necessary only once if the tyre is separated from the wheel. Alignment is necessary if your wheel is misaligned.

Last edited by carboy : 17th February 2013 at 10:47.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 20:49   #243
Awaiting Email Confirmation

'Alignment problem' & '15K service for Ritz VDi = Hoax?'

My 15.7K kms Ritz VDi was taken for periodic wheel alignment (result: camber/caster/toe normal) after which it showed a deviation in steering wheel
centering. On taking it back for getting it checked (at the same place, after 2 days), the technicians took it for a TD (without me) after which they said
it pulls slightly to left (which, I didnt notice before). They interchanged front tyres and still pulling persisted (tyre problem ruled out). They did an
alignment again and I took the TD this time (now I noticed a slight pulling to left). Took it to a second alignment center near office and they said there
was a slight toe adjustment required. First 6kms after the alignment, there was no pulling and again -- left pulling started (not prominent though -- car
felt slightly out of control during mild road undulations).

Took it to my regular MASS. Visually no damages underneath. The SA asked me if 15K service was done -- I said I did not intend to do it (since Manual
quotes 20K service after 10K). However, he insisted that it is good to do 15K since it will be considered during warranty claims (???). Since I didn't have
any plans for the day, I consented for a 15K.

At the end of the day, the bill came to:
20/60/100K paid service = Rs.1,060
Alignment & balancing (4) = Rs. 650
Brake check & clean = Rs. 420
Intercooler cleaning = Rs. 400
Consumables check / replace = Rs. 150
Total after service tax = Rs.3000!!!
And my car is normal. They said they corrected caster adjustment (front left).

Now, here's where I your valuable knowledge will be helpful:

1. Why is there so much variation in alignment (centering / toe / caster) after the first periodic wheel alignment -- all in around 100kms running? SA says
might be due to road conditions (80% of my car's running is through the same roads - same conditions)?!!

2. Is 15K service NECESSARY for warranty claims?

3. If yes, why am I billed with the 20K service (which, as per manual, includes oil/coolent/filters replacement, brake/clutch fluid replacement, and many other extensive jobs. When I questioned the SA, he didnt mention these jobs (just inspections) but said all 'sensors' have been 'tested'(??).

4. Brake pedal/pad/drum/disc/cable inspection is part of 20K service package. Is it right to bill me for 'Brake check/clean' again?

5. In none of the services, I didn't see an intercooler checking in the service manual (missed out from manual)??

6. Is it right to bill me for 20K service (so many extensive jobs) when such jobs were not done in my '15K' service?

I feel I've been fooled!!

NB: Since my 10K service, the SA had been pushing for a km/accident service package (cost appprox. that of 6 services, 3 year validity), which I had rejected because of clause saying I should do ALL preventive/corrective services at their ASS network ONLY. After the 15K service also, he asked to take the package saying 3000 x 6 (2 x 5K services a year for next 3 years) saves me money -- I told him I don't need it since after 20K, I will come only for 30K.
Old 27th April 2013, 23:20   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 'Alignment problem' & '15K service for Ritz VDi = Hoax?'

Basically, you have been tricked royally. First, for a service that was not needed and next, for all the additional jobs they have done. Do you have an alignment report? If yes then please do post it. How did they correct caster? Moreover, the charges for alignment is twice what is charged in a shop with the latest 3D aligners. Hence, all I can say is to be a cautious person when you enter any MASS next time.
Old 27th April 2013, 23:47   #245
Senior - BHPian

Some questions first.
What is the frequency at which you get the alignment checked?
Which are the two centres where the alignment was done now.And which MASS is that which insisted for the 15K service?

It is a practice these days that almost all MASSs insist for a service interval of 5K kms. This is not required if there are no defects or symptoms. the service interval is generally guided by oil change periodicity. Ensure at each service that the oil used is of 10K drain frequency.

Do you also rotate tyre position regularly? How are your car tyres' wear pattern. If there is non-uniform wear then this could be one reason for the side pulling.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 00:28   #246
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaFan View Post

Now, here's where I your valuable knowledge will be helpful:

1. Why is there so much variation in alignment (centring / toe / caster) after the first periodic wheel alignment -- all in around 100 kms running? SA says
might be due to road conditions (80% of my car's running is through the same roads - same conditions)?!!

3. If yes, why am I billed with the 20K service (which, as per manual, includes oil/coolant/filters replacement, brake/clutch fluid replacement, and many other extensive jobs. When I questioned the SA, he didn't mention these jobs (just inspections) but said all 'sensors' have been 'tested'(??).

4. Brake pedal/pad/drum/disc/cable inspection is part of 20K service package. Is it right to bill me for 'Brake check/clean' again?

5. In none of the services, I didn't see an inter cooler checking in the service manual (missed out from manual)??

6. Is it right to bill me for 20K service (so many extensive jobs) when such jobs were not done in my '15K' service?

Hi buddy!

All the above mentioned points are not at all necessary.

MASS quotes a service interval of 10K kms and not 5K kms interval. The 5K services what you have been done for is preventive and should not cost you so much. This bill of Rs 3000/- is way too much. Scan the bill and mail it to the higher ups explaining as you why you went to the service centre and for what fault in the car. The maximum bill should have been Rs. 650-700 which is ONLY for the alignment issue that you were facing.

I have been prompted, emailed and called million times in for my Ritz which is now at 87000 kms at 2.3 years. According to a service centre here they say the service must be don't every 5K kms. I asked them to give this in writing so that I can ask the Customer service head about clarity. They stopped calling me from the next day.

What you have been done is billed for 20K service which is done earlier than the schedule mentioned in the owners manual and is not at all acceptable. You should have asked them what will they do when the car goes for service for its original 20K kms service?! (May be they will bill you for 25K service)

Highlight this and claim the money back.

Hope your car is back in form as it should be!

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 06:58   #247
BHPian

This is the problem with the Indian service industry.

The pay of the service advisor seems to be linked to the business that is generated and so they obviously try to sell the service more than required. This is really the issue as it suits Maruti (parts business), the dealer as well as the service advisor - everyone except the owner.

Which is why you see so many opting to go out of Mass. But believe me, this is not limited to Maruti - it's an Indian thing. Till there is a significant threat to the service centres and better options available , this will continue. We just have to be careful and know our details better!
Old 28th April 2013, 10:06   #248

Wow!! Thank you all for the quick responses.
FYIP: My colleague (owns a Ritz VDi) was also asked to do a 5K service and has opted for the scheme mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What is the frequency at which you get the alignment checked?
Do you also rotate tyre position regularly? How are your car tyres' wear pattern. If there is non-uniform wear then this could be one reason for the side pulling.
I check alignment & rotate wheels once every 5K kms. Tyre tread wear is uniform and has good tread left. I suspected a suspension / brake pad rubbing and wanted to inspect it in this case.
The MASS in Indus. Alignment was done at Padivattom (opp.Hyundai service centre).
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What you have been done is billed for 20K service which is done earlier than the schedule mentioned in the owners manual and is not at all acceptable. You should have asked them what will they do when the car goes for service for its original 20K kms service?! (May be they will bill you for 25K service)
Highlight this and claim the money back.
+1
This is exactly what I'm going to do. I will ask the SA to give in writing, the checkpoints he did in my 15K service (we can see what 'sensor testing' was done).
Since fluid replacements have not been done, billing me for its labour is unjust. I'll be asking them to re-bill it with a paid service package consisting of inspections only. And I'll get the braker check/clean deducted from my bill since it is already part of 20K package.
I'll bear the alignment/balancing charges.

Thankfully, my car is acting normal now (and I drive extra carefully over uneven roads).
Old 28th April 2013, 23:16   #249
BHPian

Hi, Indus is going down the drain. Bhpan Naveen_raju also had bad experiences with them and now he does service elsewhere. I also used to give my swift vdi at Indus, but it turned out to be daylight robbery. Ex Recently they quoted 9.5k for my 40k km service, which i did in BRD car world, Tcr for 6.8k.
Old 29th April 2013, 02:03   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Why is there so much variation in alignment (centering / toe / caster) after the first periodic wheel alignment -- all in around 100kms running? SA says
Probably the first alignment centre did not have correct values for your car
so he misaligned and pulling to one side started.
Preserved the MASS alignment result and next time while getting the alignment done outside check if values are with in range or not.

Quote:
IMHO no.

Quote:

NO

Register complaint with Maruti customer care and rate service experience as 0 on all counts when they call you for feedback.
Old 29th April 2013, 12:00   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think what you feel is right. You have been ripped off. If I were you, I would not have gone to that MASS in my lifetime. A 3K bill for most jobs that were not necessary & some charged insanely...all I can say that you are a gentleman!

I think I am blessed with my MASS (where I go for my car's service). They are expert at diagnosing problems & causes. They are MSM/ Maruti Service Masters and have a great set up. The good thing is that their bills are never inflated and they never insist on getting unnecessary things done.

Some 7-8 back, my engine oil change was due. Took my car to them, had a paid service, oil change, wiper blades change (with Bosch), tyre rotation, oil filter change, battery electrolyte top-up, & some misc jobs too. The total bill was about 1100/-. Of course, I bought engine oil from outside as I use Catrol Magnatec which is nt available with MASS. I think, the cost for the jobs were very reasonable.

Regards,
Saket
Old 10th May 2013, 01:42   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Register complaint with Maruti customer care .
I emailed a complaint to servicecare.cochin@maruti.co.in, got a reply the next day that it is being followed up. 2 days later, I get a call from the senior works manager of the MASS, trying to discuss the matter over phone. Personally met with them 2 days back and after a heated discussion, they agreed that:

1. 15K is NOT compulsory for warranty claims.

2. a "9-point" check-up including all fluid inspection/top-up, brake system inspection / replace, tyre rotation/alignment/balancing, if opted by customer, MAY be done at every 5000km (between maruti recommended services). In my case, I had been billed with a 20K service package (Rs.1040/) instead of this 9-point package (~Rs.650).

3. They tried to justify the billing, saying the 9-point service package + Vehicle washing = approx.20K package, but when I told that if they had clearly explained the works done and the billing items (as they were supposed to do), I would have opted out of the washing AND/OR 9-point service. I told them that they have, thus, cheated me Rs.1000+service tax by not communicating this properly. They finally agreed to adjust my actual 20K service bill ( I expect peanuts here!!).

Though I have lost some money in the process, I am glad I learned the hard way to be more cautious in communicating with MASS.
Old 10th May 2013, 11:53   #253
Senior - BHPian

In general I do not give my car where I cannot watch the job. Hence I mostly go to Petrol Pumps which have MASS, and I can monitor the progress.

The one I go to in Delhi has a Japanese listed as GM, as well as a detailed price list matrix for models-service intervals, hence no surprises.
Old 15th June 2013, 07:46   #254
BHPian

My Alto was serviced last 1.5 years back when the ODO reading was 10,800. Engine oil/filter was replaced. Now, after 1.5 years, the ODO reads 16,500 and the car is exactly 3 years old. No fluids have been changed except engine oil until now. It is going to take atleast another 6 months for the ODO reading to reach 20k. I am planning to get a service done shortly, so should this be just an interim service with engine oil change or the 20k service itself where all the fluids, filters, plugs, etc., will be changed? help me in planning my current service and how can I plan my subsequent services since the usage of the car is very less.
Old 15th June 2013, 11:16   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
My Alto was serviced last 1.5 years back when the ODO reading was 10,800. Engine oil/filter was replaced. Now, after 1.5 years, the ODO reads 16,500 and the car is exactly 3 years old. No fluids have been changed except engine oil until now. It is going to take atleast another 6 months for the ODO reading to reach 20k. I am planning to get a service done shortly, so should this be just an interim service with engine oil change or the 20k service itself where all the fluids, filters, plugs, etc., will be changed? help me in planning my current service and how can I plan my subsequent services since the usage of the car is very less.
I would recommend that you service your car every year. I run at the most 3K/year, but have changed the engine oil, oil & air filter and spark plugs every year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks