Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 00:17   #136
Senior - BHPian

@ Gaurav: Thanks for the input.

1. The tyre treads are not worn and are still soft and grippy. Planning to change at 120,000.

2. Synth oil, the workshop manager said that the engine sound may increase if flush is used.

3. Are four point iridium/platinum plugs just show or do they help compared to the normal spark plugs in the indian lancer engine.

4. Timing belt replacement. Shall I stick to the company timing belt or is there a better after market option

5. Which Transmission oil is the best?

6. How much does throttle body cleaning cost? Is it to be done with any other job?
Old 21st May 2010, 13:43   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
@ Gaurav: Thanks for the input.

1. The tyre treads are not worn and are still soft and grippy. Planning to change at 120,000.

2. Synth oil, the workshop manager said that the engine sound may increase if flush is used.

3. Are four point iridium/platinum plugs just show or do they help compared to the normal spark plugs in the indian lancer engine.

4. Timing belt replacement. Shall I stick to the company timing belt or is there a better after market option

5. Which Transmission oil is the best?

6. How much does throttle body cleaning cost? Is it to be done with any other job?
Normally in engines that have run for a while, using flush is not recommended. Iridium plugs are not required since your car is stock, they will not do any wonders. Stick to the company timing belt, from my past experience i have learned that OEM parts are best if your car is running stock.

For transmission oil, go for the company recommended one. There are some options listed on mitsu website as well.

Throttle body cleaning is simple cleaning the metallic cylinder to which your air intake connects (sounds like hell of a job but it is not ), should be close to 200-300 bucks - not sure what HM guys will charge, my friend owns a workshop and i get it done from him for free! You can get it done while getting the air filter changed and fuel injector cleaned.
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:09   #138
Senior - BHPian

Throttle body cleaning is just Rs.500 job. Get it done by a proper mechanic, if not fitted properly, idle rpm etc may change. If you need I can provide you one in AHmedabad.

1lac kms and you have not changed the timming belt, that belt lasted really long.

Just stick to oil recommended in manual. Same goes with spark plug. Buy from Mico shop there is one in Khanpur.

Do not compromise on tyre. or Brakes.

How many times during that 1lac kms you have done wheel servicing.
Old 25th May 2010, 01:07   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Throttle body cleaning is just Rs.500 job. Get it done by a proper mechanic, if not fitted properly, idle rpm etc may change. If you need I can provide you one in AHmedabad.

1lac kms and you have not changed the timming belt, that belt lasted really long.

Just stick to oil recommended in manual. Same goes with spark plug. Buy from Mico shop there is one in Khanpur.

Do not compromise on tyre. or Brakes.

How many times during that 1lac kms you have done wheel servicing.
Do you actually remove the throttle body to clean it, i always get it cleaned using some spray (don't remember the name)?

What are you referring to by "wheel servicing"?
Old 25th May 2010, 01:12   #140
BHPian

wheel servicing would be cleaning of all parts inside the wheels, replace the parts worn out and greasing the bearings if not replacing, the sealed bearings are hard to grease but at 1L km they would certainly need a thorough examination.
Old 25th May 2010, 03:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

Is it OK top switch from mineral to synthetic oil without a flush cycle for a vehicle that has 30,000kms on odo in 3 years and another with 10,000kms in 1 year.

I was thinking of switching to Mobil1 5W-500 or just a small upgrade to non synthetic Mobil Super 1000 or the Super3000. Anyone here using the either of the Supers?
Old 25th May 2010, 03:41   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Is it OK top switch from mineral to synthetic oil without a flush cycle for a vehicle that has 30,000kms on odo in 3 years and another with 10,000kms in 1 year.

I was thinking of switching to Mobil1 5W-500 or just a small upgrade to non synthetic Mobil Super 1000 or the Super3000. Anyone here using the either of the Supers?
I switched to mobil1 after an engine flush. Never used a super though. I think flush will help in getting rid of any sludge..etc.
Old 26th May 2010, 15:49   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
wheel servicing would be cleaning of all parts inside the wheels, replace the parts worn out and greasing the bearings if not replacing, the sealed bearings are hard to grease but at 1L km they would certainly need a thorough examination.
Hard to grease? How would you be able to grease them at all? Even if it were possible, how do we know what grease the manufacturer has put in? The grease that you put in will surely make some strange cocktail with unpredictable results. I'd suggest leaving it alone as long as it lasts. In any case, if they are worn, you will surely "hear" about it...
Old 27th May 2010, 14:46   #144
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

How difficult or easy is it to clean the air filter element in a Swift Petrol. Can I do it myself - note that I am not particularly good with doing these kinds of things? Can someone explain the procedure to do this & if any particular tools are required?
Also, can one get this done from one of the local HPCL petrol pump service centers - they should be equipped to do this, right? How much would it cost?
Old 27th May 2010, 16:12   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Hard to grease? How would you be able to grease them at all? Even if it were possible, how do we know what grease the manufacturer has put in? The grease that you put in will surely make some strange cocktail with unpredictable results. I'd suggest leaving it alone as long as it lasts. In any case, if they are worn, you will surely "hear" about it...
You don't just put grease on old one, you clean the bearing with diesel and then apply new grease evenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How difficult or easy is it to clean the air filter element in a Swift Petrol. Can I do it myself - note that I am not particularly good with doing these kinds of things? Can someone explain the procedure to do this & if any particular tools are required?
Also, can one get this done from one of the local HPCL petrol pump service centers - they should be equipped to do this, right? How much would it cost?
You probably shouldn't then, how old is the filter. You can change it, its just Rs.450/-. If its an aftermarket like K&N there are filter cleaner solutions.

If its not that old, you have to blow air to it.

PS: To get to the filter you have to open the black plastic thingy. Its just like opening a tiffin box.
Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-swift-bay.jpg
Old 27th May 2010, 16:17   #146
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
You probably shouldn't then, how old is the filter. You can change it, its just Rs.450/-.
Change will be done at the next service. Just want to get it cleaned now

Quote:
If its not that old, you have to blow air to it.
How old is that old? :-)

Quote:
PS: To get to the filter you have to open the black plastic thingy. Its just like opening a tiffin box.
So this can be easily done at one of the petrol pump service stations, right?
Old 27th May 2010, 16:23   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If its a normal paper element, all you need a vacuum cleaner (blower). Else you could even take it to any place that has a compressor - garages/washing centers/tyre or puncture shops, etc. Sorry, don't know how easy it is to open it up on a Swift, but it should be easy enough.

Quote:
You don't just put grease on old one, you clean the bearing with diesel and then apply new grease evenly.
Hmm, might be ok if its cleaned with diesel, but is it possible to open a sealed bearing assy. in the first place?
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 16:24   #148
Senior - BHPian

^^
Old as in 5000kms. or a year old.

yeah any smart car wash guy can clean it. He will take it out and spray dry air on it.

@ racoon!

no its not advisable to open a sealed bearing. Thats the point of it, if its sealed, its less maintainace .

Last edited by SirAlec : 27th May 2010 at 16:26.
Old 29th May 2010, 12:37   #149
BHPian

Checklist for Maruti Servicing

Hi,

With most of the Maruti dealers trying to extract more money when we go for servicing by adding some extra things to be done that might be never needed for the car.
I thought why not put down those in a thread so that it can be used as a reference. There are many experts in this forum who can help us identify them and let us know whether they are needed or not. If needed then at what intervals(20k, 40k....)

I have compiled the following as advised by the service center during my 4 visits to them. Please correct me if something is wrongly written.:-

1. Throttle Body Cleaning(every 20k)
2. Fuel Injector Cleaning(every 20k)
3. Engine Flushing/De Carbonization(every 20k)
4. Oil Filter(10k)
5. Fuel Filter(10k)
6. Suspension Checks(40k)
7. Engine Oil Change(10k)
8. Coolant check or replacement(20k)
9. Brake Oil Change or replacement(20k)

I repeat those mentioned above has been told by the service advisor to me which I believe is too much. The bill for servicing always goes to around 6-7k. If this is cheap as per maruti then what can we say?

I know all the above might have been discussed many times in other threads but lets put everything about Maruti in one thread. This will be helpful for references in the future for people like me who has no mechanical knowledge in cars. We can list the Car and along with it the points associated with it. What say guys?

Mods: Please move or merge this thread if needed. I thought this might the correct place

Thanks,
Rohan
Old 25th October 2010, 19:32   #150
BHPian

Wagon R due for 40 K service

Guys - My car is due for 40K service. Interestingly there is no checklist for 40K available in the manual. I just wanted to make sure what are the critical checkpoints for 40K service since during my 20K service these MASS people (Mandovi) thugged me for 6K stating that they did the following during my 20K service:

1. Oil and oil filter change
2. Wheel Balancing/Alignment
3. Spark plug change
4. Fuel injector cleaning
5. Coolant change
6. Brake oil change
7. Transmission oil change
8. Engine flushing

They also told me that same set of checks will be performed during 40K service which means these guys intimated me of thugging again well in advance.

I just wanted to make sure that i do a genuine service without getting cheated in their hands.

I would appreciate if any of experts in this area can guide me accurately so that when i ask these guys for detailing i would know exactly what they r up to?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks