Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 16:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Ask your mechanic to check the gap in the spark plugs.
Do you seriously think mechanics do such jobs correctly??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Is it advisible to add surf into windscreen washer?
No! Definitely not advisable. Please use special windshield washer liquid. At my last service, the MASS put some in my car's windscreen washer tank. It seems quite good! Also, I'v seen a Waxpol product in car accessory stores. Never used anything other than what the MASS put in, so cant tell you which is better.
Old 27th February 2009, 16:35   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
No! Definitely not advisable. Please use special windshield washer liquid. At my last service, the MASS put some in my car's windscreen washer tank. It seems quite good! Also, I'v seen a Waxpol product in car accessory stores. Never used anything other than what the MASS put in, so cant tell you which is better.
Earlier I used glass cleaning liquid in very small proportion for my old Santro as it was parked mainly on road that time. Later I hooked to LOC an Amway product for my new cars. It was told by service technician and really I found it is good. 10-15 ml is more than enough for one tank full. It is safe and eco friendly and effective
Old 27th February 2009, 20:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

Whats the cost of the Amway product? I'm not really a fan of Amway though.

The small Waxpol fluid bottle that I saw was priced at Rs. 60/- if I remember correctly. Didn't see the dose required or the quantity.
Old 7th May 2009, 13:40   #94
BHPian

As many of us clock about 8000-10000KMS a year, How about adding the following to the checklist:
At every 15 days
1. Check engine oil
2. Check radiator coolant level
3. Check Tyre air pressure

At every 1 month
1. Check battery water
2. Check power steering oil
3. Check Brake oil
4. Check Gear Box oil

At every 3 Months
1. Check all drive belts
2. Car polishing
3. Doors greasing

At every 6 months
1. Change engine oil
2. Change oil filter
3. Renew PUC Certificate
4. Tyre Rotation
5. Clean air filter.

Last edited by malgudi : 7th May 2009 at 13:41.
malgudi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2009, 02:00   #95
BHPian

Engine Oil Change

Hi,
I have a query here, My car (Alto) has done about 20K kms now and I have given it for the regular service at MASS. I last changed my Engine oil at 15K kms so which means the Engine Oil change is due now. But, the guys at MASS had told me that the Engine Oil is still good and there is no need to change it. You could run another 3K kms with this. What I would like to know is to whether go ahead and just change my Engine Oil cause its already done 5K kms with the old engine oil or stick to what MASS had said. Kindly advice.
Old 21st May 2009, 10:01   #96
Senior - BHPian

Varun - Alto needs engine oil change every 5 k kms or 6 months. Please change the same as it is vital component for the health of the engine.

Malgudi - Good idea. Cleaning Air filter can be more frequent. at times once in couple of months in a dusty environment.

Racoon - Yes mechanics can easily check the gap in the spark plug. they have a template and can adjust as accurately as any other person. This is not a complex job at all.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2009, 10:11   #97
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
Hi,
I have a query here, My car (Alto) has done about 20K kms now and I have given it for the regular service at MASS. I last changed my Engine oil at 15K kms so which means the Engine Oil change is due now. But, the guys at MASS had told me that the Engine Oil is still good and there is no need to change it. You could run another 3K kms with this. What I would like to know is to whether go ahead and just change my Engine Oil cause its already done 5K kms with the old engine oil or stick to what MASS had said. Kindly advice.
varun,

If your Alto is running on mineral oil, its best you change it every 5,000 kms or 6 months. If you run on synthetic oil, then you can go to 10,000 kms or one year which ever comes first to change your oil.

Considering you changed the oil at 15,000 kms at MASS, I'm certain that they have used mineral oil, which means you can change the oil now rather than wait for another 3,000 kms.

Cheers,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 21st May 2009 at 10:13.
Old 21st May 2009, 10:43   #98
BHPian

Well, I don't stick to the 5k km oil replacement schedule for my wagonr. I think I was told long back that it is OK to be replaced once every 10k kms & I am usually doing it between 7-9k range depending on my time availability & my gut feel of the oil color & condition.

As such, I prefer to get it changed at a local workshop in front of my eyes. I just drive in, get the oil replaced, other oils topped up, brake shoes checked & get any other tiny mechnicals done there.

I have always used normal petrol without any additives till date. I feel the cleansers would've helped, but never got to add it ever. Other than oil changes & top-ups of brake fluid & a brakepad replacement, I have had no other expenses till date.

Now its nearing the 50k km mark (another 1.5K remaining) and I plan to get it inspected thoroughly in a service station
- ECU checks
- Fuel Injector check - if cleanup needed
- Front suspension arm check - ride has become bumpy these days
- Check various belts for their proper functioning / replace
- Gearbox & steering fuild check/replacement
- AC reconditioning - even though summer is over

It does feel nice & smooth after an oil change for sure. But this feeling doesnt last long. Within a week or two, you are back to feel normal.

I feel its ok to stretch the oil change till 7-8k for a petrol vehicle with city use if you are sure that the fuel used is of decent quality. As long as you keep your airfilters clean, it shouldnt be an issue.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:37   #99
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I am usually doing it between 7-9k range depending on my time availability & my gut feel of the oil color & condition.

As such, I prefer to get it changed at a local workshop in front of my eyes. I just drive in, get the oil replaced, other oils topped up, brake shoes checked & get any other tiny mechnicals done there.

It does feel nice & smooth after an oil change for sure. But this feeling doesnt last long. Within a week or two, you are back to feel normal.

I feel its ok to stretch the oil change till 7-8k for a petrol vehicle with city use if you are sure that the fuel used is of decent quality. As long as you keep your airfilters clean, it shouldnt be an issue.
Its best that you do not judge the quality of an oil by looking at the color. A darker oil on the dipstick means that the oil is doing its job of cleaning the engine. Ideally, mineral oils should be changed between 5K and 10K kms and you can change it at a local mechanic so long as he uses genuine replacements for the oil filter.

Contrary to popular belief, every day city driving puts enormous amounts of stress on the engine and hence the oil should be changed before the 10K mark especially if you are running on mineral oil.

The 'feel' that you mention about is something I noticed too with mineral oils, but the engine does feel smooth even 5,000 kms after an oil change once I switched to synthetic.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 21st May 2009, 15:59   #100
BHPian

Bosch service

A bit OT though, has anybody tried Bosch's service for one's car ?
The link is:
Bosch - Bosch Car Service (BCS)
Old 21st May 2009, 17:37   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post

Racoon - Yes mechanics can easily check the gap in the spark plug. they have a template and can adjust as accurately as any other person. This is not a complex job at all.
This has not been my experience... at least with bike mechanics. Adjusting gap is not at all complex... but it can be tedious and has to be precice. And ost mechs are really sloppy. What is this "template" you mentioned? Do you mean feeler gauge? Ideally a wire type feeler gauge is to be used for this purpose. But I have been unable to find one till date. Even the spark plug companies seem to be disintrested in supplying this basic tool. So currently I use flat strip gauges.

There was a time when car oils needed to be drained at 5k km. Today most higher grade mineral oils have a higher drain period. Last time I saw an MGO can, it was clearly written that its good for 10 k km. However, this is mostly calculated for 'normal' use. If your usage comes in severe catageory (stop and go city traffic) then you need to change more frequently... say 7 k km (varies).

It is a false belief that fully synth oils last longer. They can, if they are designed to. But it seems most are not, as oil companies have their vested intrests. So use of these oils beyond the drain period mentioned by the car manufacturer is not recommended... unless it is explicity mentioned on the oil can that it is an extended drain product.
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:12   #102
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
ABRO engine flushing fluid = 237/-
These are supplied by me.
Hi Rudra,

Can you tell me where I could source this product in Bangalore.

I was searching for a flush for my engine at the 10K kms mark but could not find one and in the end had to settle for the M.A.S.S product called Wynns which was grossly over priced at Rs. 600

Thanks,
gpa
Old 25th May 2009, 08:59   #103
BHPian

[quote=DieselFan;1313612]Varun - Alto needs engine oil change every 5 k kms or 6 months. Please change the same as it is vital component for the health of the engine.quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
varun,
Considering you changed the oil at 15,000 kms at MASS, I'm certain that they have used mineral oil, which means you can change the oil now rather than wait for another 3,000 kms.
Thanks. I'll change it ASAP. And gpa, yes this is mineral oil, but what bewilders me is that why would MASS say that the Engine Oil is still good enough when it is recommended to change at 5K kms.
Old 27th May 2009, 09:58   #104
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Prices of Spares--Maruti

Hi guys,

Was at my M.A.S.S on Sunday May 24 for a free check-up camp that was organized.

Saw a list of the fast moving spare parts put up on the wall and took a snap of it. I reckon these prices should be common to all M.A.S.S outlets in Bangalore. The photo is attached below.

It should serve as a good indicator for you to know how much your car's next service is going to cost you.

Cheers,
gpa
Attached Thumbnails
Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-price-list.jpg  

Last edited by gpa : 27th May 2009 at 10:02.
Old 28th May 2009, 10:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to see Brake pads of swift cost the highest 750 rs more than even SX4. Any reason why?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks