Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 22:15   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Swift Vxi, Amaron:

4 years, 2 months, 65k old.... & counting!!
My OE battery which came with our 2002 Maruti Omini lasted for exactly 28 months repaced with Bosch silver and it lasted and is still strong although 5years 7 months. But but there is a small problem in the battery for the last 8 months although it starts immediately in the morning , but if you even keep dim lights, or a roof light ON for a duration of 10 to 20 minutes without engine running then it will require push start.Thank you Bosch.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 12th September 2009 at 22:19.
Old 12th September 2009, 22:48   #212

The OE one in my old Maruti esteem lasted me for almost three years, whereas the exide unit in my baleno conked out after a year!
Old 15th September 2009, 07:47   #213
BANNED

My Palio Multijet is about 15months now and from the last two days it is refusing to start the first time, does it mean the battery is going out?
Old 15th September 2009, 07:58   #214
Senior - BHPian

My amaron hilife pro has started to give up. three times it got discharged below cranking capacity when car was not used for a week's time. thinking of buying a base model only this time. how much discount will i get since it has 4 year pro-rate warranty? should i go for amaron to use the discount or get a bosch silver/panasonic? which will be cheaper
Old 15th September 2009, 11:07   #215
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
My eight months old Amron battery gave trouble this morning. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
My amaron hilife pro has started to give up. three times it got discharged below cranking capacity when car was not used for a week's time.
This is interesting as this is the first time I'm seeing back-to-back posts about Amarons giving trouble.

@gigy: How old is your battery?

@ Sportsmind: What Raccoon mentioned is right. The add-ons could be preventing the battery from charging fully. Also, is the circuit is not drawn correctly that will lead to leaking of power that eventually drains your battery. Problems at just 8 months clearly indicate that the accessories are the cause.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
In case I have not posted before:
Maruti 800: 17 mths (9/95-2/07), sold in 4/99 with no subsequent replacement
Maruti Zen: 33 mths (4/99-2/02), sold in 5/04 with no subsequent replacement
Corsa 1.4: 47 mths (10/03-9/07)
Corolla: still going after 27 mths.
Update on Corolla: still going after 30 months.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:30   #217
BHPian

In my Qualis the OEM battery lasted exactly 22 months. The next battery worked for almost 4 years and the third was still working after 3 years when the car was sold.
In a Baleno VXI we bought, the battery gave way after 2.5 years.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:42   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
This is interesting as this is the first time I'm seeing back-to-back posts about Amarons giving trouble.

@ Sportsmind: What Raccoon mentioned is right. The add-ons could be preventing the battery from charging fully. Also, is the circuit is not drawn correctly that will lead to leaking of power that eventually drains your battery. Problems at just 8 months clearly indicate that the accessories are the cause.
Hey thanks, I did get the battery charged yesterday. I do turn the engine on every day for 5 minutes. I was also adviced by Bimal auto mechs to have the positive terminal disconnected, and re-connected when i need to use the car.. Guess i will use the car mid week to my office, so as to keep the charge ON..
Old 15th September 2009, 12:47   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post

It has reached 3years and 2 months. I went to check with the dealer and found he has shut shop. will have to call the tollfree i guess.

Quote:
Hey thanks, I did get the battery charged yesterday. I do turn the engine on every day for 5 minutes. I was also adviced by Bimal auto mechs to have the positive terminal disconnected, and re-connected when i need to use the car.. Guess i will use the car mid week to my office, so as to keep the charge ON..
How did a service center advise you to open the positive. It will damage the terminal due to the spark. Always open the negative terminal.

Last edited by gigy : 15th September 2009 at 12:53.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:13   #220
Senior - BHPian

OEM battery in my Baleno is doing fine after 3 years 9 months. The car has been used almost daily, except a few occasions when I was out of station for a week or two. It is equipped with a security system/shock sensor. Usually avoid using any lamps for prolonged period (more than 10-15 minutes) unless it is really required. A few months back ICE was installed, which again is not used for long without engine running. Chose the subwoofer amp (biggest power drain in ICE) of class-D type, to hopefully avoid/minimize loading on the alternator/changing system.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:27   #221
BANNED

My Swift Diesles battery still running strong even after 23 months of usages, running powerful 4 channel class A/B amp from the begining and last week installed another monoblock class D amp, lets see how long its going to lasts.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:13   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
It has reached 3years and 2 months. I went to check with the dealer and found he has shut shop. will have to call the tollfree i guess.

How did a service center advise you to open the positive. It will damage the terminal due to the spark. Always open the negative terminal.
Sorry bro, i guess it was the -ve one he mentioned. Cheers..
Old 15th September 2009, 15:44   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I seriously don't think starting the car everyday for 5 mins, just to charge the battery is a good idea. Firstly, I'm not sure you will be able to put in any more energy (in 5 mins) in the battery than you are taking out by cranking the car. Second, you are wasting a lot of fuel and the car is not reaching operating temp... and that causes other problems. Lastly lot of unnecessary wear will be caused. My car is sometimes not used for about a week... and it never gives any cranking problem. If this isn't working for you, either your battery or charging system or usage is wrong. Disconnecting the terminal can be a good idea if the car is not going to be used for a few weeks... or as a temp. solution to a leakage problem.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:16   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I believe draining a lead-acid battery is a crime, you should keep it fully charged as much as possible. In case of draining it fully, it is best to replace it with brand new one. Re-charging is good only as a temporary arrangement. I could be wrong about last two sentences, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
While totally draining a lead acid battery is a crime, if it happens by mistake, you don't have to automatically assume that you have to replace it. A good auto battery will take a few deep discharge cycles, but it will shorten the battery's lifespan.
In my case I suppose I was really lucky.
After totally draining the battery, I ran the car for about 60-odd kms, and next day got the battery tested. It showed it was okay, at least that is what the Exide fellow said. And only 3 years 10 months later it started grumbling.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:31   #225
Senior - BHPian

@filcord, it makes sense, see my post #207. A single and that too a short lived instance of deep discharging with a brand new battery should not cause immediate failure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks