Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 14:25   #1381
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Not at all, it does sound very do-able.

Keenly waiting for the pics. It would be good to see the much-closer-to-home DIY pics.

BTW, did your "4" button work and you could access the machine codes?
Great, thanks!

Nah! I haven't tried the DSP hack as yet and I doubt I will get it to work.
Will give it a go this afternoon.

Regards,
Old 4th March 2011, 22:24   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen

Does the Civic (any version) have a rear sway bar?? or is it just in the front.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:05   #1383
BHPian

Yes it does have a rear sway bar with independent rear suspension setup.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:13   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys know how to get the DSP hack back to normal? Just in case after trying, if one doesn't like all that bass for instance
Old 4th March 2011, 23:25   #1385
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Do you guys know how to get the DSP hack back to normal? Just in case after trying, if one doesn't like all that bass for instance
Just switch off the engine and switch it back on!
Old 5th March 2011, 16:02   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Tried the DSP trick. Neat !

But I did not like the DSP OFF effect . Becomes somewhat boomy and the midrange sounds subdued.
Old 5th March 2011, 19:36   #1387

'06 Civic external modifications

I have a bit of a problem: I'm in love with the Honda Civic. And while I just don't have the budget to go in for a new Civic(weekend only car) I just need to have one. I've kind of decided on the 06 model since I'm getting a pretty good price on it.

I've read quite a few threads about the 'face-lift' Civics that are out now.

As I understand it, the lamp clusters are the main giveaways that its an old model. Is it possible to mount the new lamp units(front and rear) on the 2006 model?
Old 5th March 2011, 21:00   #1388
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Tried the DSP trick. Neat !

But I did not like the DSP OFF effect . Becomes somewhat boomy and the midrange sounds subdued.
This was with your subwoofer on?

This leads to the other question , what is this DSP thing anyways? DSP = Digital Signal Processing? So what happens if it is off and why its a hack by design?

Last edited by dot : 5th March 2011 at 21:02.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:36   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Re: '06 Civic external modifications

Quote:

This leads to the other question , what is this DSP thing anyways? DSP = Digital Signal Processing? So what happens if it is off and why its a hack by design?
Does he has a sub-woofer fitted in his car?

DSP apparently has two settings, "flat" and "off". By default is is set on "flat". Through this hack you can make it "off". Now the problem seems to be when you are listening to low quality audio or mp3 files, "off" setting sound very dull and boomy. I would prefer the default setting for my stuff, since I listen only FM radio and mp3 files and does not possess any audio CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavecplan View Post

As I understand it, the lamp clusters are the main giveaways that its an old model. Is it possible to mount the new lamp units(front and rear) on the 2006 model?
Why would you want to do that? I like the older round rear lamp cluster than the hexagonal shaped ones in my car. Also, for me, the thinner front grill lip of the older car looks better. However there are some functional improvements in the face-lift version such as average fuel consumption indicator, USB support, and slightly stiffened suspensions. At the same time it loses 6-Cd player and alloy spare-wheel.

Last edited by vasoo : 6th March 2011 at 10:42.
Old 6th March 2011, 20:03   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a bit of a problem: I'm in love with the Honda Civic. And while I just don't have the budget to go in for a new Civic(weekend only car) I just need to have one. I've kind of decided on the 06 model since I'm getting a pretty good price on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Why would you want to do that? I like the older round rear lamp cluster than the hexagonal shaped ones in my car. Also, for me, the thinner front grill lip of the older car looks better. However there are some functional improvements in the face-lift version such as average fuel consumption indicator, USB support, and slightly stiffened suspensions. At the same time it loses 6-Cd player and alloy spare-wheel.
I echo what Vasoo says. I myself like the thinner front grill lip and round tail lamps. USB support can be added for INR 4000 (?). Only thing that I miss in my Civic compared to facelifted ones is the fuel consumption indicator.

And BTW, I drove one facelifted Civic on my regular patch of road one day and guess what, I have my own doubts regarding stiffer suspension. It is stiffer for sure, compared to my Civic but with 5 people in the facelifted car, it scraped pretty much every speed breaker my car bottoms out on.
Old 6th March 2011, 21:03   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
And BTW, I drove one facelifted Civic on my regular patch of road one day and guess what, I have my own doubts regarding stiffer suspension. It is stiffer for sure, compared to my Civic but with 5 people in the facelifted car, it scraped pretty much every speed breaker my car bottoms out on.
Makes you wonder what exactly have they changed, right?
Its so embarrassing, this suspension bottoming that I have to think ten times before going out with friends or family.

Honda's gross mistake has really taken the sheen out of an otherwise an excellent car.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:39   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Makes you wonder what exactly have they changed, right?
Its so embarrassing, this suspension bottoming that I have to think ten times before going out with friends or family.

Honda's gross mistake has really taken the sheen out of an otherwise an excellent car.
honestly, I have stopped caring for it. Iron beams in the underbelly take the abuse but there is hardly anything you can really do about it. My area is real bad for such speed breakers and I have learnt to tackle them. I can successfully negotiate on most bumps now (except those specific 'hills' ).

Last time I was driving to IGI Airport fully loaded (5 people and 55 kg of my luggage), my car bottomed out twice on infamous speed breakers on the road between Bahadurgarh and Najafgarh! But those bumps are really bad and nearly impossible to avoid.
Old 7th March 2011, 07:48   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Basically I did not change any others settings in my default setup. Just switched the DSP off. And my default settings hardly have any equalisation. Bass/Treble is at C. Amp gains are at a minimum (<10%). No Bass boost. No Loudness.

Source was FM and 320kbps MP3 rips.

Maybe DSP Off works better in the stock, non-amplified setup?
Old 7th March 2011, 09:56   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
honestly, I have stopped caring for it. Iron beams in the underbelly take the abuse but there is hardly anything you can really do about it. My area is real bad for such speed breakers and I have learnt to tackle them. I can successfully negotiate on most bumps now (except those specific 'hills' ).

Last time I was driving to IGI Airport fully loaded (5 people and 55 kg of my luggage), my car bottomed out twice on infamous speed breakers on the road between Bahadurgarh and Najafgarh! But those bumps are really bad and nearly impossible to avoid.
Correct, I guess that the right attitude as you/we can't do anything about this problem without going in for expensive after-market suspension or coilovers.

The problem with the car is 2 fold; due to excessively soft suspension the car bottoms out with a loud thud on any and every load undualations.
And the long wheelbase coupled with the soft suspension results in the underbody scraping against the speedbreakers.

I wish there was an inexpensive solution to overcome this problem. I read on some other forum how Monroe springs (or was it suspension?) transformed Verna's fidgety ride into something very pliant. And all this for around 15K-20K.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:55   #1395
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@manavecplan, I called Honda Spares part folks to enquire about this. They said that the new headlamp and taillamp does not fit the older positions directly. The bumper and internal fitments needs to be replaced. So changing the headlamp and tail lamp clusters will be pretty expensive.

Hope that this is not too late and useful for you.

Quote:
Yes. Basically I did not change any others settings in my default setup. Just switched the DSP off. And my default settings hardly have any equalisation. Bass/Treble is at C. Amp gains are at a minimum (<10%). No Bass boost. No Loudness.

Source was FM and 320kbps MP3 rips.
320kbps MP3 should be a good benchmark.

Quote:

Maybe DSP Off works better in the stock, non-amplified setup?
Perhaps. Without any more knowledge on this, we are using the feature as a black box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Correct, I guess that the right attitude as you/we can't do anything about this problem without going in for expensive after-market suspension or coilovers.
True. The other day a friend of mine didnt believe that my Civic has not bottomed out in Pune so far. So we drove over places where his ANHC bottoms out. Civic still didnt bottom out.
I think it is a matter of driving style and acceptance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks