Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 19:32   #286
BHPian

Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I did the tracking and I could make out that it is stuck at GPO. But I was told that it is no use going there if they have not even opened the entire batch.
Do you know if the Rs 5000 limit includes postage cost? Earlier I had paid duty on total shipping cost but this time with the total shipping cost of Rs 7000 (item cost is only Rs 2000), they did not ask me to pay the duty.
Item cost only, shipping charges not considered for the calculation. Also, the 5000 limit is only for GIFT items, all others attract duties.

Last edited by WRXXX : 25th June 2018 at 19:34.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 08:29   #287
BHPian

A quick shout to all the forester owners out here...
There's a 2005 forester that's come up for sale in Mumbai. It's a single owner vehicle and has done genuine 52k kms. It drives very well. The only change that it will require I guess is the clutch change as it felt slightly hard. Maybe the clutch is hard on the forester!
The gear shift was buttery smooth and so was the suspension. A clean vehicle all throughout.
Now the big question(s).....
  • In 2018 and does the forester make sense now mainly on the hassle of non availability of basic parts?
  • The discussion here is active based on ownership and service experience in Hyderabad and Bangalore area. Not sure how relevant is the eco system for parts in Mumbai.
  • I do travel to the US quite often and can get some parts from there. Is there a parts manual for the 2 ltr manual gear box version available with any of the members and what do you recommend as basic parts that I should procure from the US.
  • The guy is quoting 2 lac. Is it worth it?
  • Should I just go for it????
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 18:35   #288
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks I have got a very interesting question for you all. After having spent most of the day overlooking the painting of my car from outside a paint booth nervously, I have finally had the chance to step in and see what the finished product looks like (Pre clear coat) and I must say that the original 02C World Rally Blue using glasurit paint looks lip smackingly yummy. Now this has almost immediately given rise to a new issue in my mind:
It would pain me to see my car getting pinstripe scratches down the sides when tackling narrow trails, farm land roads, and going on road trips where I might encounter a lot of vegetation and shrubbery. I did a quick Google using a couple of diverse combinations of key words and it turns out there is a pretty smart solution out there for this: magnetic sheets! They can apparently be custom cut to fit the panels of any car and easily applied and removed whenever needed. Might be nice to use them whenever adventure calls. Does anybody have any clue whether there are places in India that make rolls of these magnetic sheets where one can have them cut to spec?
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:01   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
After having spent most of the day overlooking the painting of my car from outside a paint booth nervously, I have finally had the chance to step in and see what the finished product looks like (Pre clear coat) and I must say that the original 02C World Rally Blue using glasurit paint looks lip smackingly yummy.
If you have some pictures of the Rally Blue do post it here!
Quote:
Does anybody have any clue whether there are places in India that make rolls of these magnetic sheets where one can have them cut to spec?
A better option would be to get the 3M paint protection film. It's a tried and tested product. Do have a look. The magnetic sheets may be abrasive, thereby defeating the purpose.
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 14:38   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
If you have some pictures of the Rally Blue do post it here!
Bumpers, side mouldings and rims still need to be painted. Nevertheless I shall upload pictures by tomorrow.
Old 5th July 2018, 22:56   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • I do travel to the US quite often and can get some parts from there. Is there a parts manual for the 2 ltr manual gear box version available with any of the members and what do you recommend as basic parts that I should procure from the US.
  • The guy is quoting 2 lac. Is it worth it?
Forester in good condition well worth that price.
There is a web link for identifying parts for the 2004/5 2.0 NA Foresters (right hand drive). It is called SG model (Singapore??) I shall post the link
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 14:42   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Forester in good condition well worth that price.
There is a web link for identifying parts for the 2004/5 2.0 NA Foresters (right hand drive). It is called SG model (Singapore??) I shall post the link
Please do. I’m waiting. Currently enroute to the US and the parts manual will be extremely handy.
Thanks and Regards,
Rajesh
Old 6th July 2018, 15:21   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please do. I’m waiting. Currently enroute to the US and the parts manual will be extremely handy.
Thanks and Regards,
Rajesh
http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/en_s11/type_17/
Check under #1: '03my-'05my '02, February — '05, May

Once you get the part number, you can look for alternatives (aftermarket) as well. Ex: 15208AA100 is part number for the oil filter. You Google with it and you will find many options on ebay and Amazon (or Subaru Parts Warehouse)
Old 11th July 2018, 13:56   #294
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have any idea whether our cars are part of the Takata airbag issue? Has anyone had theirs recalled or actively taken their cars to the service center to diagnose and rectify the issue if it exists?

Edit: just did an online search and used a couple of vin look-up tools. Apparently none of our Foresters are affected by the Takata airbag issue

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th July 2018 at 14:08.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 18:52   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone have any idea whether our cars are part of the Takata airbag issue? Has anyone had theirs recalled or actively taken their cars to the service center to diagnose and rectify the issue if it exists?

Edit: just did an online search and used a couple of vin look-up tools. Apparently none of our Foresters are affected by the Takata airbag issue
Somewhere I read (on the forum) that the life of an airbag is about 10 years. Considering our cars are more than 13 years old, do you guys think we can expect the airbags to be in working condition?
Old 31st July 2018, 14:39   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere I read (on the forum) that the life of an airbag is about 10 years. Considering our cars are more than 13 years old, do you guys think we can expect the airbags to be in working condition?
I guess it should be mentioned in the factory manual. The modern airbags should last the life of the vehicle or most certainly more than 10 years. It doesn't harm if one gets it checked every interval of 2 years.
This is a life saver and a small amount of expenditure would be money well spent!
Old 1st August 2018, 11:26   #297
BHPian

Quote:
I guess it should be mentioned in the factory manual. The modern airbags should last the life of the vehicle or most certainly more than 10 years. It doesn't harm if one gets it checked every interval of 2 years.
This is a life saver and a small amount of expenditure would be money well spent!
Sir, I doubt if any airbag will last a lifetime. Its chemicals housed in the airbag which cause explosion and that will deteriorate over time. With Takata the issue was the canister inside will explode(which it is not supposed to) into small metal pieces and come out of the airbag and cause death since these are like mini bullets aimed directly at the passenger.
Subaru mentioned it was 100000 miles or 10 years I think. But checking every few years for its health not sure how you will be able to measure the effectiveness of the airbag any specific methods you follow?
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 17:22   #298
Senior - BHPian

Attaching a picture of the Forester. I am currently awaiting headlights and taillights that a relative of mine in California will be sending down. Aluminium mesh grille is also in the process of being made. I have gone for glossy grey accents on the front and rear bumpers, painted the handles and key hole in the body colour, reverted to stock silver for the wheels, and gloss black for the C pillar and boot release trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Forester Owners: Servicing?-mvimg_20180806_1743262.jpg  

IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 17:39   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a picture of the Forester. I am currently awaiting headlights and taillights that a relative of mine in California will be sending down. Aluminium mesh grille is also in the process of being made. I have gone for glossy grey accents on the front and rear bumpers, painted the handles and key hole in the body colour, reverted to stock silver for the wheels, and gloss black for the C pillar and boot release trim.
Looking good. Are you getting the stock tail lamps or the ones from 2006 model? If they are compatible with your car, they look better.
Old 7th August 2018, 17:57   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking good. Are you getting the stock tail lamps or the ones from 2006 model? If they are compatible with your car, they look better.
Honestly I prefer the older SG5 tail lamps that came with the 03-05 models so im going for that itself. I did check and 06 tail lamps will fit. It's just that I prefer the look of the pre-facelift SG5 ones personally

The one thing irritating me however is that because I am getting the lights from America, the headlights have these silly orange reflectors on the sides I guess their regulations mandate these orange side markers but I am very apprehensive about how it will end up looking.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th August 2018 at 18:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks