Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2019, 11:49   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
Guys a quick query.
Can you please give me a good garage in Bangalore (preferably near Hennur/Kothanur) where the mechanics have good knowledge of Foresters? Need to get the timing belt replaced urgently. Thanks!
Did you get this done? I used to use the services of an independent mechanic, Das near Baipanahalli Metro station. While he is good (he helped changing the timing belt on my Forester), his shop is too basic and lacks any equipments to do proper maintenance. Since he was just replacing the oils and filers during the service, my car gave lot of trouble last year and I shifted to 'Minerva Motors' in Banashankari who are knowledgeable as well as very well equipped.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 15:56   #332
Senior - BHPian

Forester Owners: What are you planning to do with your 15 year old Forester?

As the new law banning petrol cars which are older than 15 years old is likely to come, what are you Forester owners planning to do?
My Forester is still going great (expect for the repeated Ignition coil failure in recent times) and I was hoping to keep it at least till the time the BS6 picture is clear in next April and we have few other alternatives to replace the Forester.
Even if we want to sell, will there be buyers since everyone is worried about the uncertainties?
Regarding the repeated failure of the ignition coil, I read that a bad cable or spark plug can cause the coil to fail and hence I am getting them replaced as well. Is that the right thing to do?
Old 17th October 2020, 11:39   #333
Senior - BHPian

My Forester's ECU has conked off due to some issue with the immobilizer now I can procure another ecu, immobilizer, ignition kit, however I wanted to know if it is possible to install an aftermarket ecu without an immobilizer instead as that could serve to be more reliable and less of a headache if I lose the keys is what I am thinking. Any experts out there who could shed some light on whether it is possible to install an aftermarket ECU and not deal with headaches of ignition and immobilizer kits?
Old 17th October 2020, 11:52   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Any experts out there who could shed some light on whether it is possible to install an aftermarket ECU and not deal with headaches of ignition and immobilizer kits?
I am no expert but looks risky to me, even if it is technically feasible. I would suggest you to post this on other threads (which deals with engine maintenance/mods in general) to get more response.
Old 17th October 2020, 12:25   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
possible to install an aftermarket ECU and not deal with headaches of ignition and immobilizer kits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am no expert but looks risky to me, even if it is technically feasible.
As the member above suggested, you better know what you’re doing because, I’m sure it can be done, but I don’t know what effect it may have on the engine & other electronic components of the vehicle, since everything is linked together with the ECU

https://www.subaruforester.org/threa...advice.578250/

Having said that, Subarus (I know Chevy sold it in India) are generally very mod friendly so your best bet is sourcing an aftermarket ECU from abroad which is proven to be compatible with your engine/VIN.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 17th October 2020 at 12:32.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 11:30   #336

Dear Members Guna and IshaanIan

I am new to teamBHP and trying to PM you guys but not able to.

I have recently bought a 2004 Forester and need your help on certain repairs pertaining to the car.

Please share your contact details.

Regards
Kedar
Old 11th February 2022, 15:03   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post

Has anybody replaced the water pump? Any part numbers?

Thanks
Has anyone replaced their timing kit with water pump? if yes please share part details.

Thanks!
Old 13th February 2022, 19:30   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrock View Post
Dear Members Guna and IshaanIan

I am new to teamBHP and trying to PM you guys but not able to.

I have recently bought a 2004 Forester and need your help on certain repairs pertaining to the car.

Please share your contact details.

Regards
Kedar
Hi Kedar
These 2 web sites will help you to identify the correct part numbers:
https://spareto.com/t/vehicles/subar...ter-sg-2-dot-0
http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/en_s11/type_17/

Part numbers as I can see:
  • Timing belt # 13028AA181
  • I see 2 part numbers for the water pump: 21111AA007 and 21111AA270. Please cross verify from both and get the correct one.
Best would be to confirm with the seller before ordering (I had got a wrong water pump)
Let me know if this helps or you need more assistance.

Last edited by Guna : 13th February 2022 at 19:39.
Old 13th February 2022, 20:45   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrock View Post
Has anyone replaced their timing kit with water pump? if yes please share part details.

Thanks!
I have not changed the timing belt or water pump on my car. However, few years back, when I was looking into doing this, the Gates TCK304 timing belt kit on Amazon.com seemed to be a direct fit. As for the water pump, back then, I could not figure out which of the 2 part numbers Guna shared fits the 2.0 lt engine.
Old 13th February 2022, 23:10   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see 2 part numbers for the water pump: 21111AA007 and 21111AA270. Please cross verify from both and get the correct one.
Quote:
As for the water pump, back then, I could not figure out which of the 2 part numbers Guna shared fits the 2.0 lt engine.
OK, this should make it easier. I checked and the wrong water pump I had ordered and the part number is 21111AA007. So, the correct part number should be 21111AA270
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:13   #341
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Its been so long and I haven't been in the automotive scene for really long time. Forester I sold to my friend is in urgent need of parts and repair, hoping one of you could help. I heard Trident Chevy has shut shop and won't be able to get parts via them. Any other sources to search for parts?

Some parts i have made a list of could be incorrect but hope to fix with your kind help!

Here is a list I made https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Some parts definitely are not the correct numbers, I will fix them, but description is accurate.

@Guna @IcarusMan: Where are you both sourcing the parts from? Please do suggest. Thank you!
Old 22nd February 2022, 14:27   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
@Guna @IcarusMan: Where are you both sourcing the parts from? Please do suggest. Thank you!
I sold my Forester recently.
I was getting the parts through spareto.com and Amazon.com (you mostly get aftermarket brands).
BTW Trident was supposed to have some inventory of parts. They may still have some (if they are not totally shut already)
Old 22nd February 2022, 14:44   #343
BHPian

Quote:
I sold my Forester recently.
I was getting the parts through spareto.com and Amazon.com (you mostly get aftermarket brands).
BTW Trident was supposed to have some inventory of parts. They may still have some (if they are not totally shut already)
@Guna, thanks for the info, let me go parts hunting now.
I am in touch with Sai motors on BG road and they said they will check the parts Inventory in Pune factory and confirm what is available and what is not.
Will keep this thread posted.
Old 22nd February 2022, 19:45   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Hi Guys,

Its been so long and I haven't been in the automotive scene for really long time. Forester I sold to my friend is in urgent need of parts and repair, hoping one of you could help. I heard Trident Chevy has shut shop and won't be able to get parts via them. Any other sources to search for parts?

Some parts i have made a list of could be incorrect but hope to fix with your kind help!

Here is a list I made https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Some parts definitely are not the correct numbers, I will fix them, but description is accurate.

Hello WRXXX,
For most of the listed parts, especially suspension components, I think you can try from the aftermarket from Amazon.com and Rockauto.com. Shipping is much easier with Amazon.com since you pay for customs upfront for eligible parts. With Rockauto.com, you will likely have to deal with India Post when the stuff arrives. However, they have a wide selection of parts. For OEM parts, I've good experience with the Subaru dealership website you had shared in the forum - SubaruGenuineParts.com - though I'm not sure if they are still around.

It's been 3 years since I got any parts for the Forester. Scooby is still with me and running fine except that the rear struts/shocks need replacement . Do share with the forum how your parts hunt turns out...
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 20:17   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Hello WRXXX,
For most of the listed parts, especially suspension components, I think you can try from the aftermarket from Amazon.com and Rockauto.com. Shipping is much easier with Amazon.com since you pay for customs upfront for eligible parts. With Rockauto.com, you will likely have to deal with India Post when the stuff arrives. However, they have a wide selection of parts. For OEM parts, I've good experience with the Subaru dealership website you had shared in the forum - SubaruGenuineParts.com - though I'm not sure if they are still around.

It's been 3 years since I got any parts for the Forester. Scooby is still with me and running fine except that the rear struts/shocks need replacement . Do share with the forum how your parts hunt turns out...
Nice to hear from you @IcarusMan, wow only a Subaru ownership(or Honda/Toyota upto an extent?) is that clean despite of no support from the service center. Thanks for the info and will keep the forum posted how this whole thing goes.
Glad to know that Subie is serving you well, My next plan is to convert this into complete electric if Northway MS can do it in an affordable way! But in Forester, engine is barely any issue, its all these peripherals that need replacing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks