Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2018, 18:13   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Guna, this one was at 97k and going strong as per my SA. I specifically asked about tools, diagnostics and spares for the same and he stated they have the needful.

Please visit Trident Chevy at Kalyan Nagar
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 19:05   #272
Senior - BHPian

At least in Bangalore you can either produce the original invoice or the latest Insurance certificate. I guess the calculate the original cost by reverse calculating from the IDV mentioned in the cover note. Your mileage may vary but you can explore this with the Registration Authority.
Old 18th February 2018, 21:29   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guna, this one was at 97k and going strong as per my SA. I specifically asked about tools, diagnostics and spares for the same and he stated they have the needful.

Please visit Trident Chevy at Kalyan Nagar
Sure let me visit them. That is a good news for Forester owners
Old 18th April 2018, 22:41   #274
Senior - BHPian

I did not have much time and decided to get the service done by private mechanic (Das)
With 90K on oddo and a 13+ old year car, service turned out to be quite expensive.

14k for oil changes (Engine Oil+gear oil + differential oil +brake oil)
18 K for timing belt (but I could not change the water pump)

Next day after the service, car engine started overheating and turned out that the radiator tank was leaking. I wonder why this happened right after the service and whether the mechanic has messed up with anything.
Old 19th April 2018, 01:56   #275
Senior - BHPian

Did you change the coolant too. Too much concentrated mixture of coolant and water can cause the water pump to start leaking. The max you should use is a 50-50 mix.
Old 26th April 2018, 21:12   #276
Senior - BHPian

Update on my Forester:

New Suspension all around
New suspension linkages
New brakes
New clutch
New bushes and mounts
Leaking AC compressor fixed
Body panels aligned and tightened
Car is currently in the process of getting repainted Subaru World Rally Blue using glasurit paint
Brand new headlights and taillights on the way
ICE install coming up soon
Few minor things here and there like adjustments, and sensors are being attended to as well
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 16:40   #277
Senior - BHPian

Considering today is labour day and no progress can be made on my car, I decided to order a few final touches: Original Subaru emblem for the front, red over black STi wheelcaps and original Titanium STi blank key. I am super excited about these small details looking forward to be able to hold that key

Last edited by IshaanIan : 1st May 2018 at 16:44.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 16:45   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Did you change the coolant too. Too much concentrated mixture of coolant and water can cause the water pump to start leaking. The max you should use is a 50-50 mix.
Coolant was changed but as there was a leak in the radiator tank, we had to fix that well and fill the coolant again.
After the service, I noticed that the engine was overheating. We found out that the radiator tank and a crack the coolant was leaking. Mechanic said that he can get a tank made in aluminum locally. Normally, I am not not a fan of these type of juggad but since ordering an original part meant long wait (and possibly expensive) I chose to go far it. So far it is working fine.
We could not change the water pump. I don't know long the current pump
can hold up.
Mechanic also found but that bearing on one of the wheels is gone and the links need replacement as well.
Overall this is turning out to be an expensive service/upkeep.
Old 12th May 2018, 17:49   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Update on my Forester:

New Suspension all around
How much has the car done? Mine completed 90k and the mechanic strongly suggested changing the timing belt. But looking at the condition of the removed belt, I wondered if the change was necessary (costing 20K)
Old 12th May 2018, 17:51   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
How much has the car done? Mine completed 90k and the mechanic strongly suggested changing the timing belt. But looking at the condition of the removed belt, I wondered if the change was necessary (costing 20K)
Mine has only done somewhere around 63k kms the belts are all okay. I am having the lights brought down from a car parts contact of mine in Dubai if you really need to change your timing belt I could ask him about it on Monday. Who knows it might be cheaper.
Old 12th May 2018, 17:56   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Mine has only done somewhere around 63k kms the belts are all okay. I am having the lights brought down from a car parts contact of mine in Dubai if you really need to change your timing belt I could ask him about it on Monday. Who knows it might be cheaper.
I have already changed the belt, which costed 20K.
Old 1st June 2018, 12:26   #282
Senior - BHPian

More trouble with my Forester. Car was parked without being driven for a week as I was traveling. After I returned I started it and found out that engine had vibration. Turns out that the ignition coil is not working and requires a replacement.
Before I order the part online, I wanted to check with the members if it is possible to source the part locally.
Old 23rd June 2018, 17:43   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More trouble with my Forester. Car was parked without being driven for a week as I was traveling. After I returned I started it and found out that engine had vibration. Turns out that the ignition coil is not working and requires a replacement.
Before I order the part online, I wanted to check with the members if it is possible to source the part locally.
Update: Ordered the ignition coil from Amazon.com about a month back. It arrived in India within 10 days but Indian post took 15 days to clear it.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 10:05   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Ordered the ignition coil from Amazon.com about a month back. It arrived in India within 10 days but Indian post took 15 days to clear it.
oh! @Guna for the future
I got this tracking link for International orders processed by Indian post.
http://ipsweb.cept.gov.in/ipswebtracking/

It is best to visit the GPO (Near the Cubbon Park Metro station) in Bangalore for example the moment tracking says it has arrived and show the invoice so that customs clearance is done immediately. I did this sometime back and the lady incharge said most of the delays is because they want the owner to contact with the invoice.(Weird...)

Customs has a huge hoarding that says :
"If this was sent by someone as a gift and valued under 5k ... Then no duty." Otherwise it is 48% duty.
Forester Owners: Servicing?-whatsapp-image-20180505-2.52.48-pm.jpeg

Sorry I haven't been active at all in the automotive seen, hence you might not have received any response from me.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:05   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
oh! @Guna for the future
I got this tracking link for International orders processed by Indian post.
[/ATTACH]

Sorry I haven't been active at all in the automotive seen, hence you might not have received any response from me.
I did the tracking and I could make out that it is stuck at GPO. But I was told that it is no use going there if they have not even opened the entire batch.
Do you know if the Rs 5000 limit includes postage cost? Earlier I had paid duty on total shipping cost but this time with the total shipping cost of Rs 7000 (item cost is only Rs 2000), they did not ask me to pay the duty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks