Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2015, 21:48   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Finally, we get to know about your 'special' vehicle which will be coming 'soon'. Isn't it the one you had mentioned probably a month ago, not disclosing the name?

Best of luck. I think you are lucky to have found a Forester for sale. It's such a great car. Considering that you now own a garage, maintainence won't be a bother, right?

Cheers,
Neel
Haha! Yes, I am used to cars that are tough to find cause somehow a lot of my cars end up being that kind, but really tasking to find one in good shape. Don't want to be saying things too quickly but I have to say I am sold on this one. can't wait to bring it home and pamper the thing. Garage is still a little shaky but I am used to somehow maintaining such cars
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 11:35   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Anyone have a contact at Trident Chevrolet who can tell me a little more about a car that I am about to close a deal on? Car looks neat and while being driven regularly it has only completed 55k kms owner claims it has been serviced at Trident in Kalyannagar just wanted to get a little more info on the car from someone who dealt with the car's service
Check with Dinesh in Trident
Old 20th June 2015, 20:13   #198
BHPian

Ticked off 2 TODO items for the Forester today:
  • Oil change
  • Windshield wiper change
The all-important oil filter was procurred from Mars India, Mumbai. Tokyo Roki OEM filter Rs. 1150 shipped. This is more than the ~ Rs. 900 that CASS charges for the same filter but still a good option for those more inclined towards independent garages. In the longer term, I think getting one of those 6-packs from SGP at about $5 a pop might work out better depending on shipping charges. Thanks to @gotzuk for the pointer to Mars India .

Was looking at getting Mobil Super XHP 10W40 but this was not available on JC Road. Ended up with Shell Helix 10W40 (Rs. 1930 for 3.5 lt + 1 lt). The very reliable Milestone Garage on Hennur road did the honors for the oil change.

Also changed my front windshield wipers - the 22-inch driver-side wiper with Bosch Aerotwin BBA550 and passenger-side 19 inch wiper with Valeo VFP (the Aerotwin 19-inch was not in stock). A bit steep at Rs.900 for the Bosch (a much more palatable Rs. 387 for the 19-inch Valeo) but it's the real deal and looks identical to the original. Both oil and wipers procurred from JK Automobiles, JC Road.
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:36   #199
BHPian

An afternoon well-spent detailing the engine bay of the Scoobie.

Boxer inside :

Forester Owners: Servicing?-img_20150822_1812408831.jpg

Also, removed and spray-painted the grill:

Forester Owners: Servicing?-img_20150822_1826000051.jpg
IcarusMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:24   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post

Also, removed and spray-painted the grill:
How did you paint? Some kind of spray can?
Please post a photo with the logo in place. May be a slightly matt finish would have looked better.

Last edited by Guna : 23rd August 2015 at 10:25.
Old 23rd August 2015, 12:31   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
How did you paint? Some kind of spray can?
Please post a photo with the logo in place. May be a slightly matt finish would have looked better.
Grill is debadged. Yeah, it's a spray can picked up from the local tyre shop. That's exactly what I felt too after the job, matt finish is what it needs. It was a quick-and-dirty job mainly to cover some chipped paint where the logo used to sit.
Old 25th August 2015, 14:40   #202
BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly what I felt too after the job, matt finish is what it needs.
I agree that matte finish looks better.
I did mine a few years ago with PlastiDip, matte on the grille bars and insides with just the outside bezel left in body color.
Attached Thumbnails
Forester Owners: Servicing?-subie.jpg  

Last edited by gotzuk : 25th August 2015 at 14:41.
gotzuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 10:01   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
I agree that matte finish looks better.
I did mine a few years ago with PlastiDip, matte on the grille bars and insides with just the outside bezel left in body color.
I was about to suggest the "PlastiDip" too
@gotzuk the silver painted bumpers and the side cladding looks beautiful!!
I should say that this has been modified in a very very tasteful manner.

There is no car in the market that is as worth as this beauty!!
WRXXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 13:28   #204
BHPian

I have been using clear fog lamp covers on my Forester since 2012.
These are OEM covers, Made in Australia. I broke one of them last month while i had taken them off for cleaning.
I was thinking of ordering another set and thought I would share it here and check if anyone would be interested in getting a pair or two of these.
Link 2003-05 SUBARU FORESTER CLEAR DRIVING FOG LIGHT COVERS
Forester Owners: Servicing?-22756_36045.jpg
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 20:57   #205
BHPian

Yeah, looks like plastidip is the way to go.

@gotzuk: grill looks very smart with bezel in body color; Subaru badge fits the bill, literally. Thanks for sharing.

What's the purpose of the fog light covers?
Old 31st August 2015, 16:45   #206
BHPian

Quote:
What's the purpose of the fog light covers?
They clip on to the existing fog lamps in the bumpers and provide protection from stone and gravel chips.
Considering that OEM lamps are expensive to buy, I find these covers to be a cheap insurance against lamp damage.
gotzuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 09:35   #207
BHPian

Revving up an old thread...

Folks - I'm thinking of buying a scooby for my weekend drives...

@ Guna, WRXXX, IcarusMan - Will PM you for help!

@ IshaanIan - Did you pick one finally?
Old 7th October 2015, 10:00   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@ IshaanIan - Did you pick one finally?
Unfortunately, no I am still on the lookout for a Forester in good condition. With KA registration since the authorities here are really strict about that which for me is a huge bummer.
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:59   #209
BHPian

Hi All,

Its been a long time since any activity on the thread. I hope you all are enjoying your Foresters and having a good time.
Its been more than an year after giving my forester to my close friend and they have been having a very good time in their coffee estate along with the Jeep They say only other vehicle that reaches certain parts of the estate is the Forester

One suggestion to all those who still own it, please don't sell it!! There are no decent cars out there in build and capability to replace this beauty

I wanted an help from the members, has anyone completely replaced their suspension system? Could you please suggest what alternatives exist to
buy? My friend's Forester will be doing close to 1L very soon (yes! they did nearly 25k in a year already) and I suspect given their usage and rough terrain, suspension replacement is due and they are seeing certain signs.
  • What should I look for (This one has self levelling struts I think)?
  • Best place to buy India/Abroad?
  • Anything I should keep in mind during the repairs?
  • Alternatives to stock suspension ? Although I am a total Subaru shop, I thought I should deviate and take help from esteemed team members to hear about what else works.
Cheers
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 07:03   #210
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Forester is a "Cult" vehicle. No Forester owner likes to give it up (generally).
Ive seen loyalists in Australia, UK and the US who absolutely swear by this vehicle.
Having driven one of those 2011 top spec AT models on a road trip across different terrain in the UK some years ago and then more recently having driven a Jeep Cherokee Latitude in the US on a long road trip of about 2000 miles, across different types of country and terrain, I will any day plump for the Forester.
If only the blunderbusses at Chevrolet would offer this vehicle and help us to look after it, I would love to own one.
Saying that, the only vehicle which comes close in terms of capability, utility and general aspect, is my Yeti.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks