Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 12:05   #91
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

@ Poitive: Congrats on your new set of wheels. Its good to see that you did a great amount of research and finally brought the car of your dreams. Have loads of fun

I have one question though: from what i have understood - you are fond of spirited driving since high speed stability / composure were important for you; then why did you opt for the LS variant? Weren't you concerned about having ABS and Airbags?
Old 26th August 2011, 15:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
The smoothness at higher speeds is also because of the fact that diesel cars run at lower RPMs than petrol cars at these speeds. I too find my car much smoother than my previous petrol car at high speeds. Lower RPM leads to lesser vibrations.
Hey! That is a pleasant surprise, to hear that a Vento feels as smooth. I felt quite the other way in my TDs, though didn't feel the vibrations to be as bad as what other members report.

You have a good point, @nileshch. However, I have noticed the car feeling smoother at similar RPMs. Say 2000 on fourth gear. The Magnum, with it's taller gearing, would also run at a higher speed at the same RPM than many cars. This smoothness really feels good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
Isn't this beginning to sound like a honeymoon?
Ah! Finally!!!
Someone catches on to some humour. LOL Often, I wonder, if it is even noticed.

Quote:
Would you recommend a minute's wait on electricals on and a minute's idling before movement for a petrol vehicle too? What about when turning off?
Petrol (non-turbo) : Morning (or after a long period of the car not being used) - Crank the engine and wait for 1-4 mins (normally 1-2 should be good). If the temperature needle touches the C mark, you are good. No wait needed before cranking.

The one minute wait at idle before and after each trip is only for Turbo charged vehicles, to protect the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I idle my engine for about a minute or two from a cold start especially in the mornings. This was recommended to me by @ph03n!x. We both own Getz CRDis (my first diesel car). I haven't found any discernible difference but better safe than sorry huh?
The reasons for it could be:
  • It needs an even longer period of warm up, for the difference to be noticeable.
  • That you anyway end up driving at low RPMs in the beginning, which is almost serving the same purpose.
  • The this particular car model doesn't really need that warm up (a bit unlikely)
  • The car has excellent NVH management, so one can't even make out the difference.
  • You are too busy with other stuff to make out the difference!
What does the manual say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
@ Poitive: Congrats on your new set of wheels. Its good to see that you did a great amount of research and finally brought the car of your dreams. Have loads of fun

I have one question though: from what i have understood - you are fond of spirited driving since high speed stability / composure were important for you; then why did you opt for the LS variant? Weren't you concerned about having ABS and Airbags?
Thanks Gaurav! The research was actually much lesser than it seems. The main part was to check on how expensive it would be to maintain and if parts would be available over the next few years. The rest was just a confirmation that there isn't anything more suitable in the market.

Which one to buy? LS or LT?
Am glad you asked this. Wanted to mention this before, but it skipped off my mind. I can't really get into the reasons for why I didn't go in for the ABS+Airbags version (LT). It should be worth for almost anyone buying this car to spend that 1L and go in for the LT. It is worth the money.

The only con in going in for the LT in my case was about how a chauffeur may end up getting unnerved if the ABS comes into action and hence make it even more unsafe. But that was far from being good enough a reason not to go for it. As of now, I anyway drive this car myself.

Would want to share a bit about a small incident, when the composure of this car came to test, but will come to that later.

Last edited by Poitive : 26th August 2011 at 15:35.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 18:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Pictures
(am quoting everyone who asked for them below. Also added 'strarry' mdsaab and GTO in)

Have been surprised with the interest in pictures. Thanks for the interest folks. The VVS Magnum loves you!
And yes, sorry for this delay.
--------------

After all these things going wrong with the pictures, some things really did go right as well.
Found the SD card! This is not about today.

Was going for a meeting in the evening, which got delayed (eventually cancelled).
So, what could I do?
First thought – click The VVS.
What?
Where is the Camera?
Darn!
Oh! You forgot to take it out of the car yesterday!!!!
Wow – my luck is working – Finally!!!!!

So, there I was, with the camera with me. Near the original location I had in mind too.
The light was not good - Too hazy
And it was raining – the car not clean enough (less prominent in the b/w pics)
Now, what do I do?
Go ahead, make the best of what you have now – the voice inside me said

Now, as The VVS wasn’t keen to get clicked while wet, had to cajole it to model.
Condition imposed – post the pictures bit by bit. Like the singles VVS Laxman takes!

(Pssst - The real story is that I need to work on the pictures on the comp a bit before getting them to acceptable shape before posting. Had gone wrong with some settings and other stuff. Don’t want to wait anymore, so will keep posting as I do the bits – I too am getting impatient)

Mainly have the outside of the car done. The insides will follow later. So finally after page 4, we’ll finally have some pictures. (BTW, I like the one on pg 4 the best)

Excited to hear what you guys think about how The VVS Magnum looks!

Hope to start late tonight. Will keep adding pictures every now and then.

Need some HELP with posting
I have posted only one picture on the forum till now. I need help with how to put the text above, below or on the side of pictures. If there is a way to centre or right align pictures too, it would be a bonus. Please reply here or PM me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Don't go stingy with the photographs, dirty, regular or whatever we are always eager to lap up as many photos as you can upload.
The car was dirty, but still went ahead, partially based on your comment here. Clicked just after it rained. Rather, some while it was still drizzling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Pictures are mandatory for ownership threads. So cut down on the text, and let the pictures talk
After all this text, Finally (!!), there should be some pictures as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
And yes, an ownership review demands pictures. So, looking forward to some good pictures soon.
Hope they are good, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Forum. Thanks for sharing!
Finally! Will be adding pictures to the thread to make it feel a bit more complete and more deserving to be in the main section of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Waiting for the photographs.
Mate, only a few hours now. Wonder if you can access the net nowdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
And, bring on the photos soon!
Not sure if this would be soon enough. But 'coming soon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Poitive,
Please add snaps- we want to see "that" Optra- just to look a Optras,the better place will be the neighbourhood Chevrolet show room or just sit at my balcony-even my friend has one!!
Hey Charthom, don't spend too much time in the balcony!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Poitive,
I threaten to go on fast post dinner till breakfast, unless you post at least one photo of your car. Is your car not sulking that you haven't taken her/his photograph yet? Come on man. Don't make us wait further,
You gave me that final push to posting that one! Now for some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Dude, please man, we need pics. I know you would be pretty serious and detailed about the pics too, thats why i am not pushing too much, but still hurry up.
Serious I was, but eventually compromised. Hope you'll like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
Look forward to the photographs.
Soon it'll be a - here you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
For the kind of write-up we have been treated with, this one picture is like seeing a poster while we expect to see the movie.

@Prabhu - count me in on your fasting.
It is more likely to be like a TV Series than a movie MAS. They often have more character to them (a bit like VVS ... VVS Laxman, I meant!). Hope you'll like them. Let your wife too see them and hope that she'll think the car suits you now (not 10 years later, as you had said on some other thead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
BTW, do not forget your cam's battery, memory card et all and ensure that its all working fine. You seem to have a real bad luck with your stints with the digicam.
Luck went my way this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Potive is behaving like our politicians with these teasers . Come on now..u cant keep the masses waiting that long.
If your teaser is anything to go by, we are in for a real treat here.
Hopefully you wouldn't call me a politician anymore! Unlikely to be a treat. Hope that it'll be decent at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
However this is a great droolworthy snap. Lustrous at exactly the right places. Karl Slym, are you reading this thread and seeing this pic. Gift this man a Diesel Beat, it would do better for you than the 'Drive Khulke' ad, ROI guaranteed.
Hey pravin, put in a word to Karl, mate! And for the Cruze this time! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Car looks amazing in the b/w photo.
And more to follow in b/w. It really looks MUCH better in b/w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Come on mate, click some pics ASAP and post them.
Mate, clicked and itching to share! You are keeping us waiting for the ownership report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
It's a one stop guide to all about the Magnum. A very comprehensive one indeed. Definately to be rated 5 stars.
Hey starry bud (the theme changes from the md-saab jokes now ) Some pics for the guide now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
i found 5 pages full of words crammed in (i guess this ownership report is the most exhaustive) but with one (!!) pic only.
More pictures follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
PS: Could try and take a middle path to the above options too.
Eventually, it was the middle path. The car was a bit dirty (rain). The light wasn't good. The location was. The camera misbehaved, but within limits.

Last edited by Poitive : 26th August 2011 at 18:22.
Old 26th August 2011, 19:16   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have posted only one picture on the forum till now. I need help with how to put the text above, below or on the side of pictures. If there is a way to centre or right align pictures too, it would be a bonus. Please reply here or PM me. Thanks.
Check post #2 of this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 22:37   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Not offended at all, mate. And I do appreciate your intention.
Thanks Mate.

Quote:
Automotive forums are about appeal as well. Hope you'll agree
Yes-they are like cricket grounds,appeals are very relevant.And no appeal can shake the VVS!

Quote:
The VVS is playing hard to get, but I'll find a way around!
Set the field correctly.

Quote:
Hey Charthom, don't spend too much time in the balcony!!! LOL
Can't help ogling at those beauties!! My morning schedule is checking out the cars driving to my son's school, which is very close by.

Hope you were able to figure out adding text to the snaps,by now.Click where you want the snap-click attach and select the snap.Text you may add later on-above or under.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 02:43   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that link vb!
Feel like quite a jerk for not having checked the thread well enough, before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Yes-they are like cricket grounds,appeals are very relevant.And no appeal can shake the VVS!
------------
Set the field correctly.
------------
Can't help ogling at those beauties!! My morning schedule is checking out the cars driving to my son's school, which is very close by.
------------
Hope you were able to figure out adding text to the snaps,by now.Click where you want the snap-click attach and select the snap.Text you may add later on-above or under.
You ARE a poet (or some sort of a writer) at heart man! That was funny!!! LOL

The VVS seems to want to play it's own game. At some other level.

BTW, Initially I had in mind to post a picture of a part of the car (design of one area which I really like) but then thought of you wanting The VVS to be more masculine and pose full on . So then have posted accordingly.

I think I have figured out the placements. Thanks for the help mate.
Old 27th August 2011, 02:47   #97
Senior - BHPian

Experiencing The VVS Magnum

EXPERIENCING THE VVS MAGNUM

Ah there it goes. Finally!

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs2.jpg

The VVS seems to have aspirations to be "The Official Carrier"
Can't take it's eyes of The Bhavan!!

I find this 'pose' rather graceful. Wonder what you guys think

Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 04:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs3.jpg

The Knight in Shining Armour!
(where is the damsel? )

Even though it had rained, the car really wasn't shining as much.
A little change in exposure/levels can do so much
(including making it look a bit plastic like!! )
Don't be gullible with those pictures on detailing brochures
Old 27th August 2011, 11:49   #99
BHPian

Superb photos. VVS is glistening. I guess the Color to be red. Not sure though thanks for the photos and the car looks great. When you decide to upload the Color photos, maybe you can upload the sepia version first and then a Color one?
Old 27th August 2011, 12:25   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for that link vb!
Great pictures there Poitive! I am sure it’s the thought process to lay out the photos in the best possible way, is what taking time

Looking forward to more photo stories!!!
Old 27th August 2011, 14:28   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Superb photos. VVS is glistening. I guess the Color to be red. Not sure though thanks for the photos and the car looks great. When you decide to upload the Color photos, maybe you can upload the sepia version first and then a Color one?
Thanks Prabhu! The idea about sepia is appealing. Had a quick look at one and it did appeal. Will have a few in Sepia too.

The shine in the pictures is a bit misleading though. The equipment these days and some minor adjustment of the picture on the computer makes it look better than it really is.

Will let you guess the colour for a while

Quote:
Great pictures there Poitive! I am sure it’s the thought process to lay out the photos in the best possible way, is what taking time

Looking forward to more photo stories!!!
Thanks vb! Am glad they are being liked. Is taking up ample time. More than rational. But well, we are enjoying the process. What is taking up time is to choose the better pictures from the same 'pose'. Also then to fine-tune the picture (am not as familiar with graphics software). Further to block out the number etc.

Eventually if the pictures are liked, it all seems worthwhile for fellow bhpians

Edit: Hope to put up more pictures by tonight.

Last edited by Poitive : 27th August 2011 at 14:30.
Old 27th August 2011, 15:11   #102
BHPian

Wow. Excellent pics. Keep them coming.

@My ownership report: Will take couple of weeks. Am yet to go on a long drive and am planning on one next weekend. Will write after that.
Old 27th August 2011, 16:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Wow. Excellent pics. Keep them coming.

@My ownership report: Will take couple of weeks. Am yet to go on a long drive and am planning on one next weekend. Will write after that.
Glad you liked them even though you see the car everyday, mate.

The VVS's coming-home journey has been parallel to "The Veeru's" (temporary name given to your Magnum - hope you don't mind). The VVS is missing The Veeru!! Have been looking out for your report. Please get it out soon mate.
Old 28th August 2011, 02:11   #104
Senior - BHPian

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs4.jpg

The Company I got!
(Did I talk about a damsel? )

Last edited by Poitive : 28th August 2011 at 02:12.
Old 28th August 2011, 09:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful snaps there Poitive.
I just love B&W snaps.
and yours have come out beautifully.
The Sepia snap too is magnificent
Look forward to more snaps.

Last edited by mdsaab : 28th August 2011 at 09:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks