Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 14:00   #2056
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The damper maybe is too tight and hence does not self center
What is this part and where is it located and it function please.

To find out the tightness/condition of the damper is self-centering the only test?

Anurag.
Old 15th December 2013, 18:07   #2057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

To find out the tightness/condition of the damper is self-centering the only test?

Anurag.
Worn out ball joints are another reason too. Apart from this the steering rack going dry with almost no grease. Good practice to open steering boot and get it greased on regular basis ( say once in 30k kms).

Of course, we assume the pressure is not too low on the tires here.

Both these along with an overtight damper nut can put unnecessary load on power steering motor.

If all is well, a voltage check for the Power steering motor also need to done to ascertain proper ground and functioning of power steering motor.

All said, a damper cannot be adjusted as a last "resort" to overcome steering abilities arising out of other reasons as too loose a damper can cause noise from the rack on roads with bad surface.
Old 15th December 2013, 18:22   #2058
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:

Anurag.
A steering damper, steering stabiliser or sprint damper is a damping device designed to inhibit an undesirable, uncontrolled movement or oscillation of a vehicle steering mechanism.

More like, a spring force which keeps the steering in check and inhabits the correct tightness to the steering so that it gives a perfect feel to it and at the same time goes in the direction you intended to and not where the road tramlines and takes you. A too tight steering damper will have the qualities which you already face, not centering, the car is reluctant to change directions ( More so the steering wheel).
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Worn out ball joints are another reason too. Apart from this the steering rack going dry with almost no grease. Good practice to open steering boot and get it greased on regular basis ( say once in 30k kms).

Of course, we assume the pressure is not too low on the tires here.

Both these along with an overtight damper nut can put unnecessary load on power steering motor.

If all is well, a voltage check for the Power steering motor also need to done to ascertain proper ground and functioning of power steering motor.

All said, a damper cannot be adjusted as a last "resort" to overcome steering abilities arising out of other reasons as too loose a damper can cause noise from the rack on roads with bad surface.
Worn out ball joints any mechanic can check by lifting the front tyres and checking for play.

Won't a low voltage in the power steering unit throw an EPS light in the Swift? I think it will.

Yes I agree, adjusting the damper is a 'TASK' which is best given to someone you know. Too loose, U ll start hating the car on the highway, too tight, you will hate it even more. It has to be 'JUST' right with no noise coming out of it when going over rough surfaces.

There is a special greese by Maruti too which they apply if the intended results are not achieved. I got my damper to the correct tightness after 3 visits to the service station and lot of trials and errors. Tread with care in this matter.
Old 16th December 2013, 01:28   #2059
BANNED

Quote:
Speed and main odometer. Tip odometer will not be used as it be reset after a certain usage by the driver.

Anurag.
Yes, it should be calculated as total odo reading divided by total fuel used, but this is not happening here. My car showed average mileage of 15.8 at odo: 7000, and after a driving of another 100 kms, average was showing 17. Can you please do the maths and tell me what is the average mileage of my last 100kms?

I guess their calculation is like:
(average when engine is started + avg of current driving)/2. Am I right?
Old 18th December 2013, 10:16   #2060
BHPian

My Swift ZDI now vibrates when accelerating past the 1800-2000 RPM band and is very much apparent in 5th gear. After 2k RPM, there are no vibrations.

Wondering what the issue is. Is there something wrong with the turbo manifold?
Old 18th December 2013, 10:22   #2061
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My Swift ZDI now vibrates when accelerating past the 1800-2000 RPM band and is very much apparent in 5th gear. After 2k RPM, there are no vibrations.

Can you please elaborate on the 'vibrating' part? Where is the vibration felt? Do you get kick when the boost is avaliable or no? How is acceleration post 1800 rpm?

1800 rpm is just when the turbo is spooling up so the engine is coming out of the turbo lag zone may be this zone is the vibration point and in 5th gear @ 1800 rpm the speed would be 70-75 kmph!

Anurag.
Old 18th December 2013, 10:58   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

and the vibration is felt on the accelerator pedal and floor right ?
Old 18th December 2013, 11:10   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
and the vibration is felt on the accelerator pedal and floor right ?
Yes, along with the entire body. The situation is somewhat similar to when the vehicle is lugged (a boooom' sound).
Old 18th December 2013, 11:23   #2064
BANNED

Quote:

Yes, along with the entire body. The situation is somewhat similar to when the vehicle is lugged (a boooom' sound).
If it felt on the whole body then the mounts for the engine and gearbox must be checked. Lubricate if needed. I guess it is dry hence the vibration.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:34   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Get air filter cleaned, fuel filter drained of water and the exhaust mounting below checked 'if' the exhaust is touching the body or not. Mostly I ll be the last 2 cases.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:38   #2066
BANNED

Quote:
Get air filter cleaned, fuel filter drained of water and the exhaust mounting below checked 'if' the exhaust is touching the body or not. Mostly I ll be the last 2 cases.
Just a doubt - if the exhaust is touching the body then the vibrations will be the always, why only at 1800-2000 RPM. Right?!

Anurag.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:43   #2067
BHPian

Quote:

I have been facing exactly same issue in 4th and 5th Gear. Got the Intercooler and EGR cleaned, but issue still persists for last 1000 kms. Have shown it to 2 different MASS and they feel its normal.
Old 18th December 2013, 19:02   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a doubt - if the exhaust is touching the body then the vibrations will be the always, why only at 1800-2000 RPM. Right?!

Anurag.
It 'resonates' at certain rpm's. I have faced the same issue before and the solutions are the ones I listed. Trust me on this, I ll be gone if you get the 3 things I told you done. Its a 20 minute job at max at a service station to get these 3 things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
I have been facing exactly same issue in 4th and 5th Gear. Got the Intercooler and EGR cleaned, but issue still persists for last 1000 kms. Have shown it to 2 different MASS and they feel its normal.
Check my post above, I ve given a solution, get those things checked and the vibrations will be gone.

Last edited by humyum : 18th December 2013 at 19:05.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 09:07   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
It 'resonates' at certain rpm's. I have faced the same issue before and the solutions are the ones I listed. Trust me on this, I ll be gone if you get the 3 things I told you done. Its a 20 minute job at max at a service station to get these 3 things done.

Check my post above, I ve given a solution, get those things checked and the vibrations will be gone.
Air Filter and Fuel Filter were already changed during the Service. So now the only part left is the Exhaust thing checked. I shall visit them again and get this corrected. Its way to irritating and I have been living with this since last 2 months.
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:06   #2070
Senior - BHPian

After cancelling the Ecosport booking, picked up a used Swift Zdi from a fellow bhp-ian. The car was less than 2 years old (well 15 days short of being 2 years old) and had 33517 on the odo. I owned a Polo TDI for a year and half, and clocked ~12k before it was sold. I thought i'll post on how the Swift compares to the Polo, having clocked close to 3k in the Swift

Looks: I personally prefer the Polo's looks to that of the Swift, not that the Swift is bad looking by any means but the Polo is definitely better as I prefer clean simple lines and understated looks.

Build Quality: Swift's build quality is 'acceptable' though I wish certain parts were better built like power window switches,ORVM knob,Indicator stalks. I have nothing to complain on the exterior build either,its not 'tank-like' but certainly isn't 'tin-can' either. Polo on the other hand was superbly built,inside out.

Engine: Swift trumps the Polo in every way here,drivability,performance or refinement is all several notches above in the DDIS when compared to the TDI. Once warmed up, the engine is barely audible within city even if I have no music playing but with AC on. In-city drivability is way better than in the Polo thanks to the more linear power delivery. On the highway you can cruise at 100-120 all day, roads permitting!
Polo was noisy,had a narrow power band which made city driving a pain,and cruising at 120 would lead to deafness of all on board if exposed to such noise over the car's life! Not to forget, TDI took a lot longer than the DDIS to get there.
A special note on the vibrations, i could feel a lot of it in the clutch pedal,steering wheel and gearbox with the Polo. No such issues with the Swift, there are no vibrations and clutch has short play making it a breeze to drive in city traffic.

Gearbox: Polo had shorter throws but was notchy,especially when slotting from 4-5. Swift on the other hand has medium throws but is smooth and sure slotting,clearly the better gearbox. At 33k may be the Polo would feel better too.

Handling & Ride Quality: Polo had a fair amount of body roll thanks to the soft suspension (in comparison to Swift) but it had superb ride quality. It would insulate the occupants well from small to medium potholes, though the suspension was noisy.
Swift in comparison has a lot stiffer ride so its best to slow down for potholes,though much improved compared to the old gen,New Swift still doesn't compare to a Polo when it comes to ride quality. However the stiff suspension helps control body roll brilliantly well,especially at high speeds.
I also felt that the vertical movements over uneven roads were better controlled in the Swift. Steering also feels a lot more direct in the Swift though both use EPS units.
Braking on Polo was more confidence inspiring than in the Swift, though Swift has EBD,BA in addition to ABS.

Interiors:I prefer Swift's interior over the Polo. It looks better and is way more equipped. The Polo now feels a tad bit bland in comparison. The front seats in the Swift are also much comfortable with better support,backseat is more 5th passenger friendly and also there is a LOT more legroom. Boot space is one area where Polo trumps the Swift.

Equipment: As of now (2013 models) both are equally matched but my 2011 Polo didn't have audio controls on steering wheel,rear window controls on drivers side,USB/Ipod connectivity, boot light or ACC.

In all, compared to the 3 cyl Polo, Swift is better in every way except in boot space,build quality and marginally ride quality. Whichever way you look at it, Swift appeals more to the heart and the head than the 3cyl diesel Polo. With the 1.6TDI however it swings in favour of the Polo, atleast for us enthusiasts.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 3rd January 2014 at 21:29.
shashank.nk is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks