Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 10:04   #2806
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
My 2012 Swift Vxi is having an issue when being driven in bumper to bumper traffic.

The only mod done in my car is the installation of direct replacement K&N Air filter (33-2910 model) that is also regularly cleaned/oiled by me as per the guidelines.

Quote:

Secondly, can the K&N airfilter oil mess up with the MAF sensor and hence ECM is not able to map the air flow correctly?
If it is a panel type stock replacement air filter, I don't think it needs oil. If you are applying oil after cleaning the filter, that might be the reason.

Only the open type cone or cylinder type after market air filters needs oil.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:22   #2807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If it is a panel type stock replacement air filter, I don't think it needs oil. If you are applying oil after cleaning the filter, that might be the reason.

Only the open type cone or cylinder type after market air filters needs oil.
Yes Tharian. It is a panel type direct replacement filter and not the conical/exposed one.

But being a cotton gauze mesh type filter, it would require oiling post cleaning with water. Otherwise it would not be able to filter air efficiently.

This was mentioned on K&N US website and the cleaning cum oiling procedure is applicable for all their filters.

Yesterday, bought the stock MGP paper type air filter and installed it in my car.

Meanwhile, I have cleaned the K&N and kept it in shade to dry since it seemed clogged with grime.
Old 20th April 2017, 17:13   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Tharian. It is a panel type direct replacement filter and not the conical/exposed one.

But being a cotton gauze mesh type filter, it would require oiling post cleaning with water. Otherwise it would not be able to filter air efficiently.

This was mentioned on K&N US website and the cleaning cum oiling procedure is applicable for all their filters.

Yesterday, bought the stock MGP paper type air filter and installed it in my car.

Meanwhile, I have cleaned the K&N and kept it in shade to dry since it seemed clogged with grime.
Since you are on the stock filter now, does the issue persist?
I've noticed on my petrol Figo, when I had the BMC conical oil type air filter,the idle rpm used to waver.
Once I went to panel type Cosworth dry filter,it was fine.
With oil type, the filter needs to be cleaned quite frequently or air flow reduces which can cause this.

Last edited by tharian : 20th April 2017 at 17:14.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:43   #2809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Since you are on the stock filter now, does the issue persist?
I've noticed on my petrol Figo, when I had the BMC conical oil type air filter,the idle rpm used to waver.
Once I went to panel type Cosworth dry filter,it was fine.
With oil type, the filter needs to be cleaned quite frequently or air flow reduces which can cause this.
Post installing the stock MGP air filter and warming up the engine, the rpm hovers at around 900 rpm when air conditioning is on and hardly any vibrations are felt in the cabin.

But after turning off the AC, the rpm fell down to around 650-700 rpm and now I could feel the mild vibrations coming from the engine.

Plus there is a noticeable waver in the rpm needle during AC off state.

Last edited by ashishrathi88 : 21st April 2017 at 08:44.
Old 27th April 2017, 21:05   #2810
BHPian

I had a harrowing experience on 24th April, Monday.My family was busy shopping for Akshay tritiya. i joined them directly from Office and parked my Swift alongside the road. I remember having locked the vehicle using key-less Fob and the security lights were blinking on the dashboard panel which means that the car was securely locked. After we finished shopping and had dinner in nearby Pizza Hut, we went near the car at around 9:30PM and we were shocked to find that the security blinker was off. The car is not responding at all to my repeated attempts at tinkering with the key-less fob. However , I managed to unlock the vehicle using the key built inside the fob. We took out the belongings, Car papers and I left my family home on Uber. I brought my backup fob from my home since I thought maybe the current one's battery might have exhausted. However the vehicle failed to respond even with the duplicate fob.
I contacted Maruti Toll free and within around 35 mins, the repair van arrived along with two technicians. They connected the car battery with the additional battery they brought and asked me to start the engine. But alas the car failed to respond. They towed the car to their workshop along with both fobs. The malfunction was repaired the very next day . They told me that the security module got locked up and they had to open the bonnet and dashboard and had to reset the entire remote security module. The vehicle was delivered promptly to my office and the repair bill came to Rs 0 since vehicle was under 4 years extended warranty.(Towing charges 0 as well)
But one thing which surprised me is that how come the 21 month old vehicle's security jammed all of a sudden. Is the ZXI model unreliable or whether it was plain bad luck. But all things considered, Maruti's service and promptness even at 11PM in Guwahati delighted me to the core.
pranjal1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 20:21   #2811
BHPian

Got my '13 Swift VDi water pump replaced under Extended Warranty last week.

There was a recurring grinding noise from the engine bay at all speeds and conditions.

Took it in Saturday morning, they diagnosed it as something to do with the water pump. Hung around for sometime while the mechanic opened it up, he showed me the pump being loose and making the noise.

Confirmed that replacement would be FOC (plain lucky as I have just 3 months to go before Extended warranty runs out), and gave him the go ahead to replace. Was charged some 570 bucks for 2 litres of coolant, which was lost as they had to drain the radiator to replace/access the pump from below.

3 questions here:
1. Is the water pump known to fail so early? The car has run around 45k kms so far.
2. Should I have replaced the belt too? I think the replacement interval is around 60k. Would replacing the pump bring about early failure due to improper bedding/any other reason?
3. Any other such part known to fail prematurely that I should get checked (and probably replaced) before I get out of the extended warranty?
Old 12th May 2017, 08:40   #2812
BHPian

Hey guys, I've been noticing some strange issue with my petrol swift. It has run 39100 Kms on the odo without any big troubles so far. But, recently for the past week I've been noticing that the AC behaves a bit strange. The chillness seems to be different from time to time. Sometimes the chillness is very very good like you could feel the ice like chilling over your hands. However, sometimes the chillness is not this much. It is still cold but just not the way it is the other times. This happens during the night time as well when there's not much heat. The stuff inside the car like metal keys, the steering wheel, phones etc get chilled out sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I could tell the difference easily. What could be the issue here? Has anyone ever noticed something strange like this?
Old 12th May 2017, 08:50   #2813
BHPian

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I have a Swift ZXI that I use generally use as a 2 person car. I maintain 31 psi pressure on all my tyres (although recommended is 29 psi), typically because of Bangalore's bad roads.

This weekend I am planning for an outing with 4 - 5 occupants in the car - so was thinking whether I should maintain the same tyre pressures or up it up a little bit. All 4 - 5 of us will be approx 75kg +.

Thanks
J
Old 12th May 2017, 09:54   #2814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I have a Swift ZXI that I use generally use as a 2 person car. I maintain 31 psi pressure on all my tyres (although recommended is 29 psi), typically because of Bangalore's bad roads.

This weekend I am planning for an outing with 4 - 5 occupants in the car - so was thinking whether I should maintain the same tyre pressures or up it up a little bit. All 4 - 5 of us will be approx 75kg +.

Thanks

J

Hi, I would recommend going with 32-33 psi. So as to compensate for the load of 4-5 people in the car and the roads are pretty good along the highways. But again, anything above 30 wouldn't make much of a difference.
satz581993Mille is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 17:19   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
Hey guys, I've been noticing some strange issue with my petrol swift. It has run 39100 Kms on the odo without any big troubles so far. But, recently for the past week I've been noticing that the AC behaves a bit strange. The chillness seems to be different from time to time. Sometimes the chillness is very very good like you could feel the ice like chilling over your hands. However, sometimes the chillness is not this much. It is still cold but just not the way it is the other times. This happens during the night time as well when there's not much heat. The stuff inside the car like metal keys, the steering wheel, phones etc get chilled out sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I could tell the difference easily. What could be the issue here? Has anyone ever noticed something strange like this?
Keep an eye on the Temperature gauge - I had the same problem in my i20, and it turned out to be a coolant leak issue, due to which the engine was overheating.
Upon overheating, the AC automatically cuts off - I realized this quite late, as in 2-3 cycles of AC switch on/off.
Old 12th May 2017, 18:02   #2816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Keep an eye on the Temperature gauge - I had the same problem in my i20, and it turned out to be a coolant leak issue, due to which the engine was overheating.
Upon overheating, the AC automatically cuts off - I realized this quite late, as in 2-3 cycles of AC switch on/off.
Thanks for your inputs mate. But, I don't think there is any leak though, because the temperature gauge never changes from the usual. Also, the AC doesn't really cut off I guess in my case. The air is still cold but the severity of the chillness is what is kind of different. I've checked for any coolant leaks as well and i don't see any traces of leak.
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:44   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
Thanks for your inputs mate. But, I don't think there is any leak though, because the temperature gauge never changes from the usual. Also, the AC doesn't really cut off I guess in my case. The air is still cold but the severity of the chillness is what is kind of different. I've checked for any coolant leaks as well and i don't see any traces of leak.
A quick update : So, I again took the car to MASS to figure out what is causing this. What I noticed was, the cold air comes through the vents when the radiator fan is ON and stops when it off. I can feel the difference in the level of chillness as the compressor starts and stops in co-ordination with the radiator fan. I can also hear faint sound of some gas starting to cycle inside in co-ordination to the radiator fan again. This doesn't happen however when the blower is in Level 2. I'm able to replicate this only in blower level 1. Is this how it always is? my radiator fan kicks on and off every 10-15 seconds and the compressor also co-ordinates with this in blower level 1.
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:37   #2818
BHPian

Was checking the underbody of my 2012 Swift Vxi as a part of my regular maintainance today and found this.

The oil filter was covered with engine oil and dust. Though there was no drip coming off from the filter nor any oil spillage in my parking lot.

On checking the engine oil level with the dipstick, it was OK.

The filter was replaced with an OEM part 2000 Kms back as a part of the 60K Kms service at my trusted FNG in my hometown.

Is there a need to worry or this happens at times. Please advise.
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:58   #2819
BANNED

Quote:
The oil filter was covered with engine oil and dust. Though there was no drip coming off from the filter nor any oil spillage in my parking lot.
I think the gasket on the oil filter isn't fixed correctly​ (image attached).

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20170422_132858600x1067_01.jpg

Open the oil filter again and check the gasket and if required refit it. Oil vapours are escaping and settling around the casing attracting dust.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 11:47   #2820
BHPian

Hi,

I have Swift ZXI, less than a year old (about 10 months), done 12k km.

I have been driving the car almost daily in the city in last month or so in Bangalore. Before that it was typically used for highway runs with about 20% city usage.

In the last couple of city runs (with heavy traffic), I have noticed that there is a slight vibration or "screech" felt by my left foot when I push the clutch to change gear. It happens towards the end of the journey and I cannot feel the same next time when I start off. Clutch pedal again seems quite smooth.

Is there something wrong? The traffic is quite high in Bangalore and I try not to ride the clutch as far as possible.

Thanks
J

Most Viewed