Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 15:35   #2791
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

I wanted to check what should be an adequate temperature of engine coolant when the car is being driven? I have a OBD tracker device installed in my car, and have the warning for coolant temperature set at 95deg C. I can see notifications of coolant reaching upto 98deg C.

I cross-checked the notifications against the temperature gauge in the car - when the notification shows 98deg C, the needle is half-way between the C(Cool) and H(Hot), with the top quarter of gauge marked H and remaining three quarters as C.

Thanks
Akshay
Old 21st March 2017, 15:45   #2792
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
I can see notifications of coolant reaching upto 98deg
If your car is constantly driven at city speeds, the coolant temperature would be on the higher side. Nothing to worry, just see that the temperature needle stays at the center.

After warning up the engine, if the needle is at this position always, nothing to worry
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20160731_1617001024x768.jpg

Here's the data Using OBD reader in My Swift
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-screenshot_20170228213143.png

My usage being more on the highway, with airflow constant, the coolant temperature mostly hovers between 86 to 89 deg C.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 15:49   #2793
BHPian

Thanks Anurag.

Do you mind sharing the OBD device and software? I use Autowiz which helps me with GPS tracking through GSM data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If your car is constantly driven at city speeds, the coolant temperature would be on the higher side. Nothing to worry, just see that the temperature needle stays at the center.
Old 21st March 2017, 15:51   #2794
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Anurag.

Do you mind sharing the OBD device and software? I use Autowiz which helps me with GPS tracking through GSM data.
Here's the link to thread with the details of the OBD-II reader and the related software:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-software.html
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 16:09   #2795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wanted to check what should be an adequate temperature of engine coolant when the car is being driven? I have a OBD tracker device installed in my car, and have the warning for coolant temperature set at 95deg C. I can see notifications of coolant reaching upto 98deg C.

I cross-checked the notifications against the temperature gauge in the car - when the notification shows 98deg C, the needle is half-way between the C(Cool) and H(Hot), with the top quarter of gauge marked H and remaining three quarters as C.

Thanks
Akshay
To add to Anurag's point, you also need to read that temperature figure in context.

Water's boiling point is not constant, it varies with pressure and additives. In a car's pressurized cooling system where a mixture of coolant (anti-freeze) and water is used, the mixture boils in ~110-120 deg C range depending on the coolant:water ratio. Commuter engines usually run in the late 80s-early 90s deg C range when cruising, a few degrees higher in stressed environments (heavy traffic in peak summer being one sample scenario, prolonged pedal-to-metal running is another).

Your engine seems to be doing fine, given the numbers you posted

P.S. The dash-gauge feeds off the ECU, which in turn feeds off the coolant temp sensor. Given most dash-gauges are only marked for a Cold-Hot range, they won't show smaller variations (a few deg C) very accurately. OBD readings are more accurate so watch out for anomalies there. You only have cause for concern if readings approach or get beyond 110.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st March 2017 at 16:18.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:17   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Realized a few days ago that my July'15 Swift VXi is not having in cabin AC filter. Surprisingly, my Sep'10 Wagon R LXi CNG had one from factory.

So I sent an inquiry on MGP site, got a call back from Swastik Motors (Maruti part distributor) that they have one in stock and it would cost Rs. 350/-. However, upon reaching Swastik Motors, they didn't have it in stock. Called up Amar Motors and they told me that car has to be brought in, they dont do counter sales of spares. Called up Maruti for this OTC sale of spares and the customer service executive on the line couldn't confirm anything.

Took the Swift to Amar Motors, they put the filter in place. However, earlier I was shown Swift's AC filter costing Rs. 499 and they take 10% of filter price as labor charge. SA told me car has to be in their premises for carrying out the installation as per rules, essentially. Gave go ahead. A few mins later, SA came back with another filter costing Rs. 549/-. Didn't realize that it was Ciaz. This filter came with a small perfume gel container. Should have read that it was Ciaz's filter. That perfume container is in parent's room right now as I frequently switch between Wagon R and Swift.

Not sure about this, but I feel that if Ciaz's AC filter can be installed in Swift, Swift's AC filter could be installed in Ciaz too. Knowing Maruti, part sharing can be definitely expected. Dont have dimensions for Swift's AC filter, but if someone can put it up, I would put up the Ciaz AC filter in my car.
My logic: In case Swift's AC filter and Ciaz's AC filter are similar, not only Swift's AC filter cheaper by Rs. 50/- (yes, not a significant amount, but still), but its more likely to be in stock that Ciaz. If any Ciaz owner can't get hold of AC filter, buy the Swift's and install.

Images attached for part number of AC filters.

No AC filter in my Jul'15 Swift VXi (image taken at night):
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-no-ac-filter.jpg

Swift' AC filter:
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-swift-ac-filter.jpg

Ciaz's AC filter:
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-ciaz-ac-filter.jpg

Gel Perfume Container that came with Ciaz AC filter (as told to me):
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-some-perfume-ciaz-ac-filter.jpg

Last edited by aaggoswami : 23rd March 2017 at 11:20.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 01:25   #2797
BHPian

My 2012 Swift Vxi is having an issue when being driven in bumper to bumper traffic.

The rpm needle fluctuates between 600-800 rpm and the engine feels as if it will stall.

This happens specially when the Air Conditioning is ON.

I would like to quote that the ECM of my car was updated some time back at Maruti Service Station since the car was having the infamous "Brake Pedal getting hard" issue which got corrected once the ECM software was updated with the latest version.

The only mod done in my car is the installation of direct replacement K&N Air filter (33-2910 model) that is also regularly cleaned/oiled by me as per the guidelines.

The car is however very responsive when driven in normal condition and is fun to drive on highways.

Is the issue because of clogged Throttle Body. Though my local mechanic cleans the same with Throttle body Cleaner Spray at every service but it isn't of much help.

Should I get it cleaned at Maruti Service Station by completely dismantling it as I have seen it being done this way on YouTube.

Please help!
Old 14th April 2017, 02:21   #2798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Realized a few days ago that my July'15 Swift VXi is not having in cabin AC filter.

A few mins later, SA came back with another filter costing Rs. 549/-. Didn't realize that it was Ciaz. This filter came with a small perfume gel container. Should have read that it was Ciaz's filter.

Gel Perfume Container that came with Ciaz AC filter (as told to me)
What you have bought is the AC filter combo kit, consisting of the perfume gel, and filter. You have paid for both. Also, new Swift and Ciaz share the same air filter as its evident below(picture from Maruti's MGA brochure).

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-capture.jpg

You can also buy only the air filter for your car, without the bundled perfume. Part details in that case would be:

Part Number: 95850M79M00
Name: CABIN AIR FILTER - CIAZ & NEW SWIFT
Listed under: MGA
Price: Rs. 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
My 2012 Swift Vxi is having an issue when being driven in bumper to bumper traffic.

The rpm needle fluctuates between 600-800 rpm and the engine feels as if it will stall.
Request you to get the following things checked/cleaned.

1. Spark Plugs
2. Throttle Body(Complete replacement necessary only if its badly clogged)
3. EGR Valve(I have doubts on this)
4. ISC Valve

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th April 2017 at 02:35.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 08:46   #2799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happens specially when the Air Conditioning is ON.

I would like to quote that the ECM of my car was updated some time back at Maruti Service Station since the car was having the infamous "Brake Pedal getting hard" issue which got corrected once the ECM software was updated with the latest version.
Can you please provide some more details on this? I have faced this same issue for a long time now, i.e. brake pedal getting hard in bumper to bumper traffic especially in first gear crawls. What is this ECM update? Is this voluntarily done by the service centre during service, or does one have to ask specifically for it? What is the cost?
Old 14th April 2017, 08:51   #2800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Can you please provide some more details on this? I have faced this same issue for a long time now, i.e. brake pedal getting hard in bumper to bumper traffic especially in first gear crawls. What is this ECM update? Is this voluntarily done by the service centre during service, or does one have to ask specifically for it? What is the cost?
This is a known issue, and the ECM update was done on all L and V variants. Your dealer workshop should know about this.

More details about the issue and its solution:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ake-issue.html

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th April 2017 at 08:53.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 10:30   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
The lower trims of Swift Petrol (Lxi & Vxi) do not have Brake Assist. So particularily at lower rpm, there is low vacuum generation by the engine due to which brake booster is not able to function properly.

As a result of this, the brake pedals get hard which is dangerous specially when driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

Just go to Maruti Authorized service station and ask the Service Advisor to update the ECM software to the latest build.

Its hardly a 5 minutes task and they will be happy to do it (if they have the ECM diagnostic tool and update patch)

Earlier they used to note down the details and then call the customers when Maruti's APSM used to visit the dealership.

My advise is that you should go to the largest Service Station in your vicinity because there is maximum probability that they would be having the kit.

Since it's a safety related issue, hence its done on FOC basis.

Happy Motoring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What you have bought is the AC filter combo kit, consisting of the perfume gel, and filter. You have paid for both. Also, new Swift and Ciaz share the same air filter as its evident below(picture from Maruti's MGA brochure).

Attachment 1629575

You can also buy only the air filter for your car, without the bundled perfume. Part details in that case would be:

Part Number: 95850M79M00
Name: CABIN AIR FILTER - CIAZ & NEW SWIFT
Listed under: MGA
Price: Rs. 395

Request you to get the following things checked/cleaned.

1. Spark Plugs
2. Throttle Body(Complete replacement necessary only if its badly clogged)
3. EGR Valve(I have doubts on this)
4. ISC Valve

Regards,
Shashi
Shashi, I have noticed this issue post ECM updation.

Could this be the reason for the unusual change in the engine idle rpm?

Secondly, can the K&N airfilter oil mess up with the MAF sensor and hence ECM is not able to map the air flow correctly?

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th April 2017 at 10:38. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 14th April 2017, 10:44   #2802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Earlier they used to note down the details and then call the customers when Maruti's APSM used to visit the dealership.

My advise is that you should go to the largest Service Station in your vicinity because there is maximum probability that they would be having the kit.
Thank you Ashish, that was very helpful. Any Bangalore BHPians who have already done this ECM update? If yes, which service centre was this done at. Has anyone done this at Sagar Automobiles Bannerghatta Road (asking since I do all my services here and have generally good experience here for several years now)?
Old 18th April 2017, 09:28   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ashish, that was very helpful. Any Bangalore BHPians who have already done this ECM update? If yes, which service centre was this done at. Has anyone done this at Sagar Automobiles Bannerghatta Road (asking since I do all my services here and have generally good experience here for several years now)?
I have a 2011 LXI and early on the ownership, faced this issue once while parking in reverse gear at a mall - and once was scary enough!!
Back at time Maruti was very reluctant to even acknowledge that an issue existed.

Nexus (New BEL Road) was the MASS through whom I had raised the issue. At that time, a guy from the regional office came took it for half a day for 'checking', and said that they had done some 'adjustment', no paper trail for the ECU update. But the issue was resolved. Never had a recurrence after that.

Any MASS would be fine, since this would be a S/W update, I guess there is very little chance for any mess up.
Old 18th April 2017, 09:51   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Any MASS would be fine, since this would be a S/W update, I guess there is very little chance for any mess up.
Thanks. Glad yours got resolved early on. This issue has been there for 5 years for me However, I have adjusted by driving style in bumper to bumper traffic with AC on. It still remains a very risky proposition though.Let me check with the ASS and see how they respond.
Old 18th April 2017, 12:39   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Glad yours got resolved early on. This issue has been there for 5 years for me However, I have adjusted by driving style in bumper to bumper traffic with AC on. It still remains a very risky proposition though.Let me check with the ASS and see how they respond.
Before taking the car to MASS, just ensure that your car's battery is charged and do ask the technical advisor to first check the make of the ECM.

As is my case, the ECM was made by Bosch, where as they were trying to update it with a non-Bosch OBD device.

As a result, the first attempt was a failure post which they recognised their mistake and corrected it.

During all of this, I was just praying that they do not brick the ECM by mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks