Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 18:55   #2896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
Yesterday all of a sudden when I started my Swift petrol of 2016, all the power windows stopped working apart from the one on driver side. I am planning to take it to the SA tomorrow, but just wanted to check in and see what could be the potential cause? There is absolutely no sound or movement when I operate the power windows all over the car.

Sorry for a late reply. Have you checked the fuses placed under the driver side dashboard.

There is a dedicated fuse for the power windows. The fuse number is mentioned on the cover of the fuse box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
It is undoubtedly the synchronising rings. Maruti cuts corners and uses cheap quality materials. It’s a known issue and I’ve had the exact same issue in my Swift diesel. Please take it to any FNG and they will change the rings and it will be absolutely fine.

+1 to that.

The same issue was there in my 2012 Swift petrol as well.

I guess this is due to poor quality of design and material (brass) used in the wake of lower part pricing.

It was becoming an issue in bumper to bumper traffic when I needed to downshift the gears.

In case you want to get it corrected, do change all the synchro rings at once as opening the gearbox again (in case any other ring fails) is not a good idea. This what my trusted FNG advised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Can any Swift petrol owners confirm the idling RPM when the engine has warmed up, with and without AC?

My car is idling at 900 RPM with AC and 650 RPM without AC. While 900 RPM is alright, I find 650 RPM idle to be on the lower side. Slight engine vibrations are also present at 650 RPM.

Brother, I thought I was the only owner having this issue (as quoted by MASS).

My Swift Petrol's engine vibrates like a truck at idle. This all happens at around 700 rpm.

After this, the engine is butter smooth and revs freely (which is the reason of me holding this car even after 7 years).

I showed this issue to Maruti technician at MASS who even connected his Bosch Diagnostic Tool to my car and checked all the parameters.

As per him, the vibrations were normal as there were no error codes and the car's idle rpm wes as desired.

He without any definite solution to my issue advised me for TBC (Throttle Body Cleaning) which didn't help.

Even the engine mounts were perfectly OK so he couldn't blame any physical part inside the engine bay.

On telling him that my 2011 Civic idle so butter-smooth that I have accidentally cranked it multiple times, he said that "It's a Honda Sir".

On hearing this, I left their premise with my vibrating car.

Till this date, the problem is not rectified and I am just living with it.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2019 at 11:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 18th November 2019, 19:38   #2897
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Swift Petrol's engine vibrates like a truck at idle. This all happens at around 700 rpm.
My friend, we're not alone. I have now encountered 3 more cars (not necessarily Swift, but with 1.2 K Series engine) with the same problem.

It's also to do with age I guess because I checked a brand new TD car (Dzire) with very minimal vibrations at idle (~700 RPM). One could make out from the engine sound that it was struggling to breathe but the vibrations were not easily noticeable. The stupid Maruti technicians there told me that's because the Dzire was a "higher segment car" even though the engine is same..

Any way I'll keep you posted on this as my car's service is due in December. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by self_driven : 18th November 2019 at 19:40.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 10:06   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
My friend, we're not alone. I have now encountered 3 more cars (not necessarily Swift, but with 1.2 K Series engine) with the same problem.

It's also to do with age I guess because I checked a brand new TD car (Dzire) with very minimal vibrations at idle (~700 RPM). One could make out from the engine sound that it was struggling to breathe but the vibrations were not easily noticeable. The stupid Maruti technicians there told me that's because the Dzire was a "higher segment car" even though the engine is same..

Any way I'll keep you posted on this as my car's service is due in December. Let's see how it goes.

In my ownership period, I had always poured in Full Synthetic 5w40 (Shell Helix, Idemitsu, Total Quartz 7000 series and the likes) in my Swift Petrol since it was 1 year old.

Got the throttle Body cleaned, air filter/oil filter/fuel filter replaced as and when needed.

Did Italian tune-ups, rev sweeps from time to time to let the engine remember that it had 83 horses under the hooD.

Even got the ECM firmware updated to the latest version once (due to Brake Vacuum issue).

Despite all of that care and pampering, if the engine "feels old" while having clocked less than 1 lac KMs. I would say it was a substandard ownership experience.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 10:27   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
Despite all of that care and pampering, if the engine "feels old" while having clocked less than 1 lac KMs. I would say it was a substandard ownership experience.

Quote:
Count me in as well. Even our Swift VXI idles like a truck at cold starts. Its more pronounced during winters.
As a result, the NVH levels have increased a lot and thanks to the poor plastic quality inside, at least half a dozen interior panels starts shaking vigorously including the steering wheel.
Open the hood and you'll even see the engine shaking like a three cylinder engine. Engine mounts are fine.

The excess shaking reduces if one increases the rev even by a bit or you can also start the AC and the ECU will increase the revvs automatically and the vibration reduces.

By the way, can you tell which grade of engine oil you all are using? My manual suggests 5w30. But in my car up to 30k kms I was using 0W20 and I don't recall having these issues then. The engine used to idle butter smooth. Wonder if its due to the grade.
Also, the three other 1.2L k series you say which have the same problem, do they use 5w30 or 0w20?

If I recall, 5W30 oil is recommended for the 1.2 K series engine from their inception. From 2014 onwards when a minor facelift of Swift was introduced, Maruti recommended 0w20 oil for the same citing slight engine modifications. Wonder if the same problem is there in those Swifts as well.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 20th November 2019 at 10:32.
Old 20th November 2019, 10:48   #2900
BHPian

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Count me in as well. Even our Swift VXI idles like a truck at cold starts. Its more pronounced during winters.
As a result, the NVH levels have increased a lot and thanks to the poor plastic quality inside, at least half a dozen interior panels starts shaking vigorously including the steering wheel.
Open the hood and you'll even see the engine shaking like a three cylinder engine. Engine mounts are fine.

The excess shaking reduces if one increases the rev even by a bit or you can also start the AC and the ECU will increase the revvs automatically and the vibration reduces.

By the way, can you tell which grade of engine oil you all are using? My manual suggests 5w30. But in my car up to 30k kms I was using 0W20 and I don't recall having these issues then. The engine used to idle butter smooth. Wonder if its due to the grade.
Also, the three other 1.2L k series you say which have the same problem, do they use 5w30 or 0w20?

If I recall, 5W30 oil is recommended for the 1.2 K series engine from their inception. From 2014 onwards when a minor facelift of Swift was introduced, Maruti recommended 0w20 oil for the same citing slight engine modifications. Wonder if the same problem is there in those Swifts as well.

One the other hand, my Honda Civic with a 1.8 liter Naturally Aspirated block is a perfect example of refinement and engineering finesse.

It is so silent that you can be mistaken that the engine is not running. Even there is no change in rpm needle when the auto AC compressor turns ON/OFF.

The only issue with it is the weak torque at lower rpms (which all the Honda engines suffer from).

Brother, the engine is still K12b in both the 2011 Swift and the face lifted one.

The only difference was in the ECM tuning which was done to increase the gas mileage and reduce power figure by 2 PS. Plus some improvements related to braking performance (owing to engine vacuum).

As per the manual, the recommended grade is 5w30 for Full Synthetic (which is advisable).
0W20 is only recommended in case you live in a colder climate and have frequent cold starts. This particular oil grade is used by Honda though.

The MASS in my 10K oil change had poured in Castrol Edge 5W40 and since then I have sticked to this grade to avoid viscosity changes.
This grade will be a bit viscous and hence chances of oil seal seepages and ring failure (which usually come up on high mileage engines) are a bit reduced though at the cost of cold revving starts.

Last edited by ashishrathi88 : 20th November 2019 at 10:50.
Old 20th November 2019, 14:34   #2901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Even our Swift VXI idles like a truck at cold starts. Its more pronounced during winters.
2. As...are fine.
3. By.....Swifts as well.
1. I have 2015 Swift VXi which has done 37.8K kms. and its smooth. No concerns of vibrations at idle except mild vibrations. Whenever there is a cold start, engine idles at 1500 rpm and after some seconds, depending on ambient temperature, it gets back to idle of 700-800 rpm. The vibrations I am getting are due to ultra lean fuel air mixture that Maruti has tuned in interest of fuel efficiency.

2. NVH has gone up definitely, at night when I reach home from office as soon as I Switch off engine, the cabin becomes silent. Earlier the noise was less but partially I blame the poor quality of insulation materials rather than engine. My car's engine doesn't shake like my 2010 Wagon R K10 did.

3. My manual suggests 0W20, and in 2014 there was service bulletin or something which stated change of oil to 0W20 from 5W30. My K10 Wagon R also had 0W20 oil recommendation. Am using 0W20 oil in my Swift but in my next oil change at 47K kms., I am planning to use 5W30 for longer engine life; summers in Gujarat are very harsh and I guess very thin oil is not the best thing to have once engine reaches 50K kms.

From what I came across in my hunt to get oil locally, many Swift Petrol owners put 5W30 in place of 0W20. Honda Petrol engines usually have 0W20 and diesel have 5W30. In case of Hyundai Petrol engines, only Nios 1.2 petrol has 0W20 recommendation from Hyundai, rest all petrol engines have 5W30 (Santro and I10 1.1 CNG prefer 15W40).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th November 2019 at 14:36.
Old 23rd November 2019, 20:05   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, can you tell which grade of engine oil you all are using?
I'm using some Castrol 5W30 oil from MASS, not sure if it is mineral or SS.

Quote:
Two of them are most probably on 0W20 as they are <2 year old NEXA cars.

Not sure about the third one (Ritz). It's always serviced at MASS but some ASCs use 5W30 and 0W20 interchangeably.

Last edited by self_driven : 23rd November 2019 at 20:06.
Old 24th November 2019, 10:55   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1. .... No concerns of vibrations at idle except mild vibrations. ....

+1

My 2011 Swift Petrol is still butter smooth and has run 40k kms in a mix of city and highway.
Most of the mileage was pre 2017, since then have used it only for short commutes. Have been using mineral oil 5w-30.

I never noticed any vibration issues during idle/crankup.

Also, vibrating plastics is an issue, although that gets masked away, with the music at the lowest levels.
Old 30th November 2019, 20:18   #2904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
My 2011 Swift Petrol is still butter smooth and has run 40k kms in a mix of city and highway.
Most of the mileage was pre 2017, since then have used it only for short commutes. Have been using mineral oil 5w-30.
My Swift vxi 2017 model has clocked 55k kms till now. Yes, it has mild vibrations in cold start and goes after it warms up. I have filled 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra from 20k kms onwards. It reduces vibrations a bit without effecting fuel efficiency. I drive only in 2 lane highways and get 18-21 kmpl with 100% AC depending on my driving style. But I never cross 100 kmph although redline in 2nd and 3rd(not fully) gears.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th November 2019 at 20:20. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2019, 14:17   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My Swift Petrol's engine vibrates like a truck at idle. This all happens at around 700 rpm.

After this, the engine is butter smooth and revs freely (which is the reason of me holding this car even after 7 years).
Quote:
Quote:
Count me in as well. Even our Swift VXI idles like a truck at cold starts.
I recently drove a Gen2 Swift K-Series, and was surprised at the gruffness of its idling. It had ~28k on the Odo and carefully maintained. Once on the move though, it was super smooth, just as expected.
On the other hand, my own K12 Swift from the earlier gen is smooth as silk at idling, with ~56k on the ODO and a few months shy of 10 years age. This one does not have VVT though, not sure if that makes any difference.

Though my car is from a generation earlier, posting my queries here since there is no Gen1 Swift thread. I wish to get my suspension overhauled. The tie rods and the caliper pins have been replaced once 3 years ago due to noise emanating from them. I guess its time again due to a tremendously thrashy ride, clunking noise from up front and a loud creak/groan from the wheel at slow speed turns, closer to full lock. I was getting work done at an FNG for quite some time, but it was mostly routine stuff and I am not quite happy with having to pay good amounts in cash. So I am thinking of getting it done from an A.S.S. this time around. What are the ballpark expenses I am looking at for this job plus service?
Old 21st December 2019, 20:25   #2906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
On the other hand, my own K12 Swift from the earlier gen is smooth as silk at idling, with ~56k on the ODO and a few months shy of 10 years age. This one does not have VVT though, not sure if that makes any difference.

Brother, your Swift had G13b engine, the same one that was kitted up in Esteem and Gypsy.

This engine didn't had VVT as you said but it was made of a reliable cast iron block. Hence it had better NVH levels compared to lighter and more delicate all aluminium block that came up in newer gen Swift (K12 series).

This (G13b) engine was built like a tank and had awesome redline capability with addictive exhaust note.
Old 21st December 2019, 20:54   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This engine didn't had VVT as you said but it was made of a reliable cast iron block. Hence it had better NVH levels compared to lighter and more delicate all aluminium block that came up in newer gen Swift (K12 series).

This (G13b) engine was built like a tank and had awesome redline capability with addictive exhaust note.
All G series engines namely G10, G13 and G16 and now G12 (available in Eeco) are all aluminium blocks. Maruti marketed it as ACE (aluminum construction engine IIRC) and it was all aluminum engine just like K series. However just to compare, FIRE (it stood for Fully Integrated Robotized Engine as per FIAT) in Fiat Uno was one kg lighter than G10 at 69 Kg. Compared to that, the three cylinder K10 is 47 kg dry.

G13 was a better engine than K12 by all means and without VVT it has better grunt at lower RPMs, while top end was really useable. First generation Swift with G13 can literally put all other Petrol Swifts and Baleno hatchbacks to shame when it comes to sheer performance. From what I have read while browsing on net, G and M series had sturdier blocks as compared to K series.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st December 2019 at 20:56.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 13:32   #2908
BHPian

My 3 year old second gen swift has completed 24K kms. Of late i am experiencing some sort of whirring noise from rear at speeds above 50 kmph. It increases proportionally with speed. What may be the issue?
Old 11th May 2020, 15:32   #2909
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
My 3 year old second gen swift has completed 24K kms. Of late i am experiencing some sort of whirring noise from rear at speeds above 50 kmph. It increases proportionally with speed. What may be the issue?
Wheel bearing is the part that has gone bust.

Get it checked at any MASS and ascertain which side bearing has failed. Replace it.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:38   #2910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
Like Anurag mentioned, it could be a wheel bearing noise. 3 year/24k km is too early for a wheel bearing to be shot. What kind of roads do you drive? If it happens to be wheel bearing, please report the kind of damage here.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed