Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 17:45   #2146
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Yup, the tach in the diesel at 120kmph is at ~3,000 revs & this is true for most hatches having a diesel engine.

The only exception is the Polo GT. It has ~200 lower revs if I am not mistaken.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 17:50   #2147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yup, the tach in the diesel at 120kmph is at ~3,000 revs & this is true for most hatches having a diesel engine.

The only exception is the Polo GT. It has ~200 lower revs if I am not mistaken.
Yes Sheel. At 120KMPH the Ertiga's Tacho needle too is pointing a little beyond 2800 from what I notice most of the times. As rightly said, this is the Turbo Zone and makes overtaking very effortless with just a tap on the A pedal.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 18:00   #2148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
RPM to Speed is decided by gearbox and wheel size.
Is the Ertiga pulling slightly lower revs because of its VGT? (If it is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes Sheel. At 120KMPH the Ertiga's Tacho needle too is pointing a little beyond 2800 from what I notice most of the times. As rightly said, this is the Turbo Zone and makes overtaking very effortless with just a tap on the A pedal.
Old 21st April 2014, 18:48   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Ertiga pulling slightly lower revs because of its VGT? (If it is)
The VGT DDIS has more torque compared to FGT DDIS so it can pull a taller ratio compared to an engine with lesser torque. And so the Ertiga DDIS is equipped with a taller gear ratio and that's why its RPM is lower compared to a Swift DDIS. Same reason with the Polo GT TDI, it has loads of torque.

I believe with an Ertiga K14B's final drive my car would be slightly more fuel efficient. Need to check if its doable.

Last edited by Sankar : 21st April 2014 at 18:52.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:40   #2150
BANNED

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, I have seen almost the same revs at the same speed in a multi-jet/ddis engine.
+1.

80 kmph = 1800 RPM
100 kmph = 2300 RPM
120 kmph = 2800 RPM
140 kmph = 3500 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I do NOT think MJD will hit 3100 rpm at 120 kmph. It will more be like ~2500 rpm at those speeds. 3000 rpm comes at 140 kmph+ IIRC.
No buddy. I have mentioned the RPM and speed thing above.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:25   #2151
BHPian

Guys,my driver broke the OVRM of my swift. Now its naked. The cowl as well as the glass mirror is borken. Rest everything including the blinker and adjustment is intact. I know if I take it to MASS they will ask me to replace the entire assembly costing around 5k. Are there any cheaper alternatives to procure the cowl and mirror separately.
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:46   #2152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Guys,my driver broke the OVRM of my swift. Now its naked. The cowl as well as the glass mirror is borken. Rest everything including the blinker and adjustment is intact. I know if I take it to MASS they will ask me to replace the entire assembly costing around 5k. Are there any cheaper alternatives to procure the cowl and mirror separately.
Try contacting your MGP dealer and procure only the cowl and mirror. If you know any workshop then get it painted add post your car colour. Recently I had lost the blinker in my right ORVM - replaced the blinker ONLY for Rs 1352/-.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 21:43   #2153
Senior - BHPian

My Swift zdi is now at 37,313 kms and i'm thinking of getting the 40k service done soon as I have 2 out station trips coming up in the next 2 weeks,each about 400 km. My car has the following issues and it would be very helpful if somebody could help me on what to get checked/replaced at the time of service:

• The front suspension seems like its shot. I hear a loud noise every time I go over undulations on the road at speeds of 20-40kmph,especially when going over sections where a hump previously existed and has been removed leaving a small bump.
  • I also hear a 'khat-khat' noise when I take a turn and there are a few small potholes. Its quite evident when driving through hill roads which are poorly maintained. Ball joints the culprit ?
  • The gear knob freely rotates while shifting gears and is about 90 degree off after a city drive.
  • Rattles from the passenger door and rear hatch. I think the rear might be wheel/tool kit not put in place properly. Will have to check on the front passenger door.
  • Also is inter-cooler cleaning required ? Sounded like some trick to rip me off.
  • City mileage is rather poor. I got 10.8 last tank,but about 6km of the 14km daily drive is in choc a bloc traffic where I can't even get into 3rd gear. The MID shows 16.3 though. Even after resetting the trip meter
  • Clutch is a tad bit hard and bites much later than i'd like. Will bleeding help me use it for say 10k kms or should I replace it ? If I do go for a replacement will a clutch plate change alone do or should I go for flywheel replacement too ?
  • Anything else to bear in mind for the 40k service apart from what's mentioned in the manual ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 24th April 2014 at 21:51.
Old 28th April 2014, 21:16   #2154
BHPian

Does anyone have any clue about the size of the rear wiper for a Maruti Swift (new)? And hopefully where to find a replacement in Bombay?

Try as I might, I can't seem to run down the size anywhere :| The MASS at Prabhadevi doesn't have a spare at the moment. Oh, mine got stolen. Ruddy irritating. I do hate stubby wiper arm-casings.
Old 29th April 2014, 07:30   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
  • The front suspension seems like its shot. I hear a loud noise every time I go over undulations on the road at speeds of 20-40kmph,especially when going over sections where a hump previously existed and has been removed leaving a small bump.
  • I also hear a 'khat-khat' noise when I take a turn and there are a few small potholes. Its quite evident when driving through hill roads which are poorly maintained. Ball joints the culprit ?
This has happened to my ZXi twice. The first time round was when a friendly rodent decided to nibble on the rubber casing (boot) the tie-rod for the left front suspension element. Water and dirt found their way in, gumming up the joints and driving me up the wall every time I drove over a pebble. Had to be replaced and weighed in at about 6k.

The second time round, after some bouncing over coconut sized rocks and lunar craters on my way to Dapoli (a round trip of about 700km over rather ill kept roads), the calipers in the disc brakes decided to call it a day. The noise returned and it was devilishly hard to pin it down to the calipers. Hunted down all possible potholes and craggy outcrops of tar in PrabhaDevi, Bombay with the SA, over a couple of hours before we could identify the source. Replaced the pins and greased them. A couple of hundred bucks.

Quote:
[*]Rattles from the passenger door and rear hatch. I think the rear might be wheel/tool kit not put in place properly. Will have to check on the front passenger door.[/list]
Rattles from the front passenger doors for me come from the speaker at certain lower frequencies. At any rate, the plastic elements are flimsy enough to flex if you push them with a finger Got the panels bolstered with a little extra packing. MASS helped.

Quote:
[*]City mileage is rather poor. I got 10.8 last tank,but about 6km of the 14km daily drive is in choc a bloc traffic where I can't even get into 3rd gear. The MID shows 16.3 though. Even after resetting the trip meter [/list]
The MID seems to have it's only stash of happy. Mine reads 15-16 no matter what the driving conditions might be. For my petrol, I find that a gentle foot and a needle never hopping up beyond 2k on the tach, gets me 16km to the liter of liquid dinosaurs.

Quote:
[*]Clutch is a tad bit hard and bites much later than i'd like. Will bleeding help me use it for say 10k kms or should I replace it ?[/list]
Though this might be a major overhaul, my clutch went super hard pretty much overnight from a snagged cable. The clamp holding the piping for the clutch cable to the firewall took a little vacation. This threw matters off kilter and the cable groaned every I trod on the clutch. A new clamp and all was well between the clutch and me.

For the record, my odo reads around 30k now.

Cheers!
thedragonreborn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 08:11   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
  • Rattles from the passenger door and rear hatch. I think the rear might be wheel/tool kit not put in place properly. Will have to check on the front passenger door.
Lemme know the service center name if you get the rattles solved. I have rattles all over the dashboard.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:21   #2157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Also is inter-cooler cleaning required ? Sounded like some trick to rip me off....
Get this done ONLY if you feel a loss in power. Otherwise NOT required.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:40   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
[/list]Get this done ONLY if you feel a loss in power. Otherwise NOT required.
I think Fiat recommends EGR cleaning once in 30k kms or so. EGR/Intercooler/MapSensor collect the same soot. Assuming its the same engine and Maruti hasnt done way with the EGR valve, makes sense to open the EGR valve once every 30k kms and inspect. If soot accumulation is there, better to get the intercooler and map sensor also cleaned.
Other intermediate maintainence solutions - Rev Hards once in a while. It opens up the EGR valve and clears up some soot. Some people have done away with the EGR totally (again bad for the env). Most MASS and FASS do a very shoddy job and charge a bomb for it. Its a time consuming and labour intensive job.

Last edited by zoombiee : 29th April 2014 at 11:41.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 12:01   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is happening to our 2010 make VXi also. The service center is clueless about it. Caliper pin greasing has been done, but still the noise persists. Looks like we will have to live with it. more details in this thread.

Last edited by AkMar : 29th April 2014 at 12:02. Reason: Fixed incorrect link
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 12:16   #2160
BHPian

Forgot to add, had a rattle from the hatch, which was basically the parcel tray emulating an excited frog. Used to be the loudest at highway cruising speeds. Some masking tape round the pegs which allow the parcel tray to swivel upwards solved the problem in a jiffy.

@AkMar: I would strongly suggest a trip to Vitesse at Prabhadevi. Have been maintaining our cars for years and two SAs in particular are highly recommended. PM me if you require names (in case endorsements on the forum are frowned upon). There are upsides and downsides to the joint (trying to sell you services not really required) but they are more than competent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks