Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2012, 14:05   #1396
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Need help guys !

My 6 months old Swift (D) is giving low average figures. It has covered 10k kms and all the three free services have been completed. Right after the last service I filled up the tank and did a 225 km trip of which roughly 70% was on highway and Air Con was on the whole time. Then filled up the tank again which took in 15 litres of diesel. That gives a fuel consumption of 15 kmpl.

Please advise on what needs to be checked. Here's my Ownership's thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...uti-swift.html
Old 18th June 2012, 14:00   #1397
BHPian

I have had my Swift for over 4 months now and have not had major issues with it. However, on our way back from the Mumbai-Pune mega meet last Saturday, I realized that the stock bulbs are absolutely useless in the highway during the monsoons. It was raining heavily and moderately during most of the drive but the stock lamps are so pathetic, it is absolutely impossible to see the road even under light rain. The only way I could maintain a straight line was by following fellow BHPian Mandheers cedia tail lights.

I am now contemplating an upgrade of the stock lamps. I have spoken to Automotive (the dealers in Navi Mumbai) and they said there is nothing that they can do to help improve the headlamps.

Planning to do a DIY but wanted to ask the swift owners which bulbs (100/90w) have you used, relays recommended, and any other precautions that need to be taken.

El Lobo has recommended philips essentials (4000K) and I quite like the looks of it in his Vento.

Any comments and recommendations will b extremely helpful.

Thanks guys!
Old 18th June 2012, 16:38   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome
I have had my Swift for over 4 months now and have not had major issues with it. However, on our way back from the Mumbai-Pune mega meet last Saturday, I realized that the stock bulbs are absolutely useless in the highway during the monsoons. It was raining heavily and moderately during most of the drive but the stock lamps are so pathetic, it is absolutely impossible to see the road even under light rain. The only way I could maintain a straight line was by following fellow BHPian Mandheers cedia tail lights.

I am now contemplating an upgrade of the stock lamps. I have spoken to Automotive (the dealers in Navi Mumbai) and they said there is nothing that they can do to help improve the headlamps.

Planning to do a DIY but wanted to ask the swift owners which bulbs (100/90w) have you used, relays recommended, and any other precautions that need to be taken.

El Lobo has recommended philips essentials (4000K) and I quite like the looks of it in his Vento.

Any comments and recommendations will b extremely helpful.

Thanks guys!
I use Philips 90/100w with relay and cut out on my Ertiga and I have to say the night vision is excellent even in the rain. Installed by dealer at the time of purchase so that it doesn't void warranty.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 18:25   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys my car is back after 1st service. Will post about it in my thread.

The MSM guys are quoting 6.3k for torque blue painted spoiler. I believe our fellow bhpian was quoted 5.8k for same. Have any of you installed MGA spoilers painted to body colour? How much did it cost
Old 18th June 2012, 22:19   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I use Philips 90/100w with relay and cut out on my Ertiga and I have to say the night vision is excellent even in the rain. Installed by dealer at the time of purchase so that it doesn't void warranty.
You were lucky your dealer did it for you. Which philips bulb have you installed?
Old 18th June 2012, 22:44   #1401
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow it just not makes sense for this to not void the warranty (for that part and electricals) even if the dealer installed it.

Yet though it is a DIY for some would suggest that this be installed by professionals and if the dealer is prepared to do it nothing like it as he will definately support one in case of any warranty void related issues with the electricals.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:19   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
I have had my Swift for over 4 months now and have not had major issues with it. However, on our way back from the Mumbai-Pune mega meet last Saturday, I realized that the stock bulbs are absolutely useless in the highway during the monsoons. It was raining heavily and moderately during most of the drive but the stock lamps are so pathetic, it is absolutely impossible to see the road even under light rain.
Totally agreed. The stock headlight setup is pathetic. I have had visibility issues driving at night even in the city. Since my night drives are limited, I haven't bothered to upgrade the headlamps until now. Philips 90/100W is a common upgrade I have heard from many users. Only issue is the warranty void which dealers are notorious for pointing out later in case of issues. Let me know if you upgrade. I would be keen to do it myself.

Quote:
I assume the throw of light is white. Is that right? I guess you would have paid around 1.5K for the upgrade with the relay. Is that a correct estimate?
Old 19th June 2012, 12:25   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Totally agreed. The stock headlight setup is pathetic. I have had visibility issues driving at night even in the city. Since my night drives are limited, I haven't bothered to upgrade the headlamps until now. Philips 90/100W is a common upgrade I have heard from many users. Only issue is the warranty void which dealers are notorious for pointing out later in case of issues. Let me know if you upgrade. I would be keen to do it myself.

I assume the throw of light is white. Is that right? I guess you would have paid around 1.5K for the upgrade with the relay. Is that a correct estimate?
Yes, you are spot on with the price. The throw of light is still yellow but a lot more intense. I prefer yellow over white as most of my highway drives are during the night and I find my eyes finding it harder to accustom to a white throw (was a passenger in a friend's car that had lights with white throw.)
Old 19th June 2012, 12:33   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you are spot on with the price. The throw of light is still yellow but a lot more intense. I prefer yellow over white as most of my highway drives are during the night and I find my eyes finding it harder to accustom to a white throw (was a passenger in a friend's car that had lights with white throw.)
Thanks. So then the Philips Rally bulbs should be the ones with the white throw. My Altis has HIDs which have a white throw and are quite good. I was thinking of replicating the same in the Swift (no HIDs planned though). You are fortunate to have the bulbs changed by the dealer.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:51   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Let me know if you upgrade. I would be keen to do it myself.

I have already upgraded the headlight bulbs a week ago. The lighting is very good and is OK enough on our unlit Kerala highways and back roads, can see well in the rains.

Cost of TVS relay with wiring kit is Rs.485/- Philips Rally 100/90 costs around Rs300/- for a pair, but this time i used the bulbs from my AStar so didn't need to buy it. Installation is DIY no wire cutting involved so warranty is not affected. 1.5k is a little too much but that's how much they charge while getting it done from accessory shops i guess?

Last edited by Sankar : 19th June 2012 at 12:53.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 18:18   #1406
BHPian

My dealer in NCR states that there is yet another strike , this time with Maruti's suppliers of ABS/Airbag because of which waiting period for ZDI/ZXI models have gone up drastically.
My booking of end April'12 promised with a 6/8 week delivery period i.e max June '12 end now is getting delayed to 12 weeks i.e. July '12 and that too tentative.
I smell a rat and presume the actual reason being impending diesel taxation and taking care of "priority/jack deliveries".
Any chance anyone else has also experienced the same agony , courtesy dealers.
kartik.virmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 23:50   #1407
BHPian

Upgraded the head lamps to 100/90 Philips essential vision. cost Rs 300 per bulb. Light throw is at 4000k. Love the illumination now, its powerful and bright. Low beam does the job with high beam only used for overtaking or signalling cars in the opposite lane to use low beam.

Also installed are Bosch relays with integrated ceramic holders. Total cost came up to rs 1440. Pics to follow soon
Old 26th June 2012, 00:33   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Upgraded the head lamps to 100/90 Philips essential vision. cost Rs 300 per bulb. Light throw is at 4000k. Love the illumination now, its powerful and bright. Low beam does the job with high beam only used for overtaking or signalling cars in the opposite lane to use low beam.
Shome from where did you procure the bulbs & relay? Did you do a DiY or got it installed from a shop, if so from where? Do upgrade the fogs & parking light to give a complete effect.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:39   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
Shome from where did you procure the bulbs & relay? Did you do a DiY or got it installed from a shop, if so from where? Do upgrade the fogs & parking light to give a complete effect.
I plan an upgrade of headlights for my swift too. Thought worried about voiding warranty if I install a 100/90 with relay.

How effective is upgrading to stock power higher quality bulbs like night breakers. Anyone who's done it please share experience and cost.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:09   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Was lucky to get the bulbs at Vashi. Rows of shops next to Golden Punjab. No foglamps were available. Will get that done soon. Thanks for your suggestions bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
I plan an upgrade of headlights for my swift too. Thought worried about voiding warranty if I install a 100/90 with relay.

How effective is upgrading to stock power higher quality bulbs like night breakers. Anyone who's done it please share experience and cost.
Replied to your PM. 100/90 will void warrantly but after speaking to the the Service advisors at MASS, it seems highly unlikely that this will cause any issues with the electricals. All he said was make sure that the relay is installed at a reliable place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks