Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 15:25   #1381
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post

Another strange thing I noticed ... (If you have driven old ambys, we used to call this brake pumping). After some 3-4 times, you can feel that the brake pedal becomes rock hard and the brake feels like un-assisted, just like if you try to stop the car which is rolling with engine switched off.

I am yet to check this in other cars, but is this normal?
Remember reading some where that one should never pump the breaks of ABS equipped vehicles similar to what we do with non ABS equipped vehicles like Ambys? Some one could correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:51   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Remember reading some where that one should never pump the breaks of ABS equipped vehicles similar to what we do with non ABS equipped vehicles like Ambys? Some one could correct me if I am wrong.
Brakes should not be pumped under hard braking when the ABS kicks in. This prevents optimum braking using ABS. Under normal less intensive braking, I believe pumping the brakes is fine.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:36   #1383
BHPian

[quote=jingaboysr;2804939

Another strange thing I noticed while I was trying to apply the brakes to get rid of the noise. Looks like a similar experience what MutanX had with brakes being ineffective. It is easily reproducible, I tried the below steps.
1)Take the car to an open stretch and take to 80-100 kmph.
2) Now completely press and hold the clutch pedal.
3)With the clutch pedal still depressed fully, repeatedly try to apply and release brakes momentarily, like press..release cycle (If you have driven old ambys, we used to call this brake pumping). After some 3-4 times, you can feel that the brake pedal becomes rock hard and the brake feels like un-assisted, just like if you try to stop the car which is rolling with engine switched off.

I am yet to check this in other cars, but is this normal?[/quote]

Why did you depress the clutch pedal while braking at those high speeds? To simulate bumper to bumper conditions of half clutch and brake? I would be wary about clutch wearing out in such situations. In an ABS equipped vehicle, why would you need to pump the brakes? I haven't tried out exactly what you are saying but it does not seem to be normal behaviour. Brake effectiveness with clutch fully depressed is bound to be lower in any car.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:45   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Why did you depress the clutch pedal while braking at those high speeds? To simulate bumper to bumper conditions of half clutch and brake? I would be wary about clutch wearing out in such situations. In an ABS equipped vehicle, why would you need to pump the brakes? I haven't tried out exactly what you are saying but it does not seem to be normal behaviour.
I tried it to reduce the engine noise since I wanted to listen to the sound which was coming from the front tyre, depressing the clutch will take my rpm to idle
But, why should I worry about the clutch wearing out, when it is fully pressed?

Quote:
Brake effectiveness with clutch fully depressed is bound to be lower in any car
This is because there is no engine brake when the clutch is pressed. But the brakes are supposed to function as usual, right?

Any case, as Shome pointed out, there is no harm in pumping brakes in an ABS equipped car, it is just that it is not needed since ABS does that for you. And, no, this is not a normal driving scenario for me, just that I found this behaviour by chance. But now after thinking over it, I am worried. My wife, who is a new driver, have the habit of pressing the clutch while braking. Imagine a situation when the car is going downhill, she might keep the clutch pressed and brake several times

Last edited by jingaboysr : 13th June 2012 at 11:49.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:03   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
I tried it to reduce the engine noise since I wanted to listen to the sound which was coming from the front tyre, depressing the clutch will take my rpm to idle
But, why should I worry about the clutch wearing out, when it is fully pressed?

Any case, as Shome pointed out, there is no harm in pumping brakes in an ABS equipped car, it is just that it is not needed since ABS does that for you. And, no, this is not a normal driving scenario for me, just that I found this behaviour by chance. But now after thinking over it, I am worried. My wife, who is a new driver, have the habit of pressing the clutch while braking. Imagine a situation when the car is going downhill, she might keep the clutch pressed and brake several times
Since you said you were doing 80-100 kph and depressing the clutch for braking, technically you were riding the clutch though it would be for few seconds. Normally, one would just go for the brakes and use the clutch only when the car is almost stationary and about to stall.

Also, depressing the clutch at those speeds will not get you to idle rpm. Right?

A car going downhill situation can be best tackled by using the same gear you would use while ascending the same incline. Using a lower gear will always give you more control in those clutch/brake situations. Again, depressing the clutch going downhill should be avoided as much as one can. Its easier said than done though especially for lady drivers.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:44   #1386
Senior - BHPian

My car ( Blue blistering barnacle) Zdi is due for 1st service on 16th. planning for various things. Guys i would like to suggest whether i should go for the oil change now?. the car is barely run 500kms due to my trip to mumbai. just wondering whether the oil change is worth?
Old 14th June 2012, 11:16   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
My car ( Blue blistering barnacle) Zdi is due for 1st service on 16th. planning for various things. Guys i would like to suggest whether i should go for the oil change now?. the car is barely run 500kms due to my trip to mumbai. just wondering whether the oil change is worth?
Oil change for new swifts (after a particular VIN) are costly, since they come with synthetic oil. Since yours is due for first service, it should be with synthetic oil, and would be costly to change (should be between 2k-3k). Although it is always good to change oil after the first 1000 kms, synthetic oil can easily last till your first scheduled oil change at 10000kms. I did NOT change my oil during first service.

500 kms is too less for a proper run-in to warrant an oil change in any case. If you are indeed planning for an oil change, why don't you wait for some time until the car clocks a few more clicks and sees all rpm ranges and then get it serviced?
Old 14th June 2012, 12:11   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Hi Geeash, there is no need for an oil change in the first service. My Feb '12 Swift has had 2 services and there is absolutely no need for an oil change. Just ask the MASS guys to check if a top up is required. I had a 1/2 litre top up at 5000 km/2nd service. The engine noise, performance, refinement etc are absolutely fine with the oil that the car initially came with.

Synthetics will run easily for 10000 Kms and if you really want to change, do it during the second service but definitely not at the first.

Last edited by Shome : 14th June 2012 at 12:14.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:14   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
I had a 1/2 litre top up at 5000 km/2nd service.
That is surprising. I remember there was no need for engine oil top-up during my second service at 5200kms. The SA told me they topped up the gear oil, though.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:34   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
That is surprising. I remember there was no need for engine oil top-up during my second service at 5200kms. The SA told me they topped up the gear oil, though.
Makes me wonder why. Is it because of different driving styles or just another way of milking us.

Note to self: Have to read up on how Engine oil, gear oil etc gets used up. I know engine oil is used up when the car is running but dont know the details as to where it goes.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:41   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Makes me wonder why. Is it because of different driving styles or just another way of milking us.

Note to self: Have to read up on how Engine oil, gear oil etc gets used up. I know engine oil is used up when the car is running but dont know the details as to where it goes.
Better to check the oil level the morning before you give it for service, just to make sure. I'm sure the A.S.S will also use the dipstick to check the oil level right? Did they charge you for the 1/2 litre?

If oil enters the combustion chamber, it will get burned. I remember my bullet used to drink oil when it was nearing an engine overhaul, the culprit was faulty piston rings. Other than that, oil leakage is another major culprit.

The manual mentions about some quantity of oil consumption is normal, need to check the exact amount though.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:55   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome

Note to self: Have to read up on how Engine oil, gear oil etc gets used up.
I had read about sudden drop in engine oil reported in Ford figo thread. A person in Ford A.S.S had told our bhpian who owned figo that driving below 60 kmph in fifth gear reduces engine oil and he recommended using 5th gear only after 60. I am not sure whether he was right.
Old 14th June 2012, 15:14   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Better to check the oil level the morning before you give it for service, just to make sure. I'm sure the A.S.S will also use the dipstick to check the oil level right? Did they charge you for the 1/2 litre?

If oil enters the combustion chamber, it will get burned. I remember my bullet used to drink oil when it was nearing an engine overhaul, the culprit was faulty piston rings. Other than that, oil leakage is another major culprit.

The manual mentions about some quantity of oil consumption is normal, need to check the exact amount though.
The SE showed me the dipstick and the oil level was between 3/4th and full. I believe the swift takes between 3.5-4 ltrs of Engine oil, so 1/2 a ltr seems fine. Let me know if you get an approx amt for consumption. I'll try and have a look as well.

Engine oil is a consumable, so it will be charged. I was charged about Rs 442 for 1/2 ltr. I have mentioned the total cost in one of my previous posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I had read about sudden drop in engine oil reported in Ford figo thread. A person in Ford A.S.S had told our bhpian who owned figo that driving below 60 kmph in fifth gear reduces engine oil and he recommended using 5th gear only after 60. I am not sure whether he was right.
I normally try and keep the revs in the turbo range. So 5th is engaged well over 50 kmph. 1/2 a ltr over 5000 kms could be within the normal consumption range.

Any one else who had to have an oil top up after 5k kms?
Old 16th June 2012, 09:20   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
The SE showed me the dipstick and the oil level was between 3/4th and full. I believe the swift takes between 3.5-4 ltrs of Engine oil, so 1/2 a ltr seems fine. Let me know if you get an approx amt for consumption. I'll try and have a look as well.

I normally try and keep the revs in the turbo range. So 5th is engaged well over 50 kmph. 1/2 a ltr over 5000 kms could be within the normal consumption range.

The Swift takes 3.1 liters of oil if I recall correctly. If you check the VW Polo/Vento threads, the initial oil consumption of these cars is way too high. The MJD DDiS is far more oil efficient in comparison.

I am nearing 3.5K in my car and the oil level is still at the max position. Oil was changed at 1K km and I'm still running on mineral oil. I intend to change the oil during second service next month.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 10:29   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
My feb'12 swift vdi has done around 8300 kms.

I haven't topped up engine oil until now.

The oil was above half on the dipstick last week. It will easily make it to 10k oil change service.
hemen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed