Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 17:55   #1336
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Gen III - SWIFT petrol has a serious issue with the low speed braking. The issue has been noted and reported by quite a few people (including me) to TSM. The problem exists in all variants - Lxi, Vxi & Zxi and Maruti has acknowledged that it is a common problem, yet to find a resolution.

Braking problems in the new Swift? | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

A few members in another forum have decided to drag maruti to consumer forum as they are in constant denial. Much to the fact that MS is not willing to accept that this is a manufacturing defect. They are not willing to find a solution!! Too bad Maruti, it is after all customers like us who have made you No.1 in India!
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 11:28   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
He should wisely make decision on his own. Take this example: If the usage of petrol car is about 1000 kms per month, then with 14kmpl he need 71.43 liters of petrol i.e., Rs.5,804/- per month at Bangalore price. If he runs 1000kms pm in diesel car with mileage of 17kmpl then he need 58.82 liters of diesel pm which amounts to Rs.2669/- Hence savings permonth is Rs.3134/- for using diesel car. But now calculate the extra cost of diesel car, in Bangalore he need to pay Rs.137,541/- more for vdi against vxi and add interest of Rs.41,895/- (11%pa for 1.37L for 5 years) It will be Rs.179,436/- more to be paid for diesel car against same model of petrol car. Now divide 1.79L by Rs.3,134/- savings per month. It will be 57.25, which means the breakeven point is 57 months (4years 9 months)to take actual benefit of diesel car and after 4 years 9 months, he starts saving on fuel bill. Now just think if he runs only 500kms per month , then double the period i.e., breakeven period is Nine and half years !!!!
With my MJD Punto, I am already making savings in terms of fuel cost. The difference between fully loaded petrol and diesel Punto was around 50K in 2010 August. My ODO is at around 40K now. When my ODO was at around 25K, I made up the extra cost of the diesel car.

Not clear why the difference between Swift VDi / VXi should be as high as 1.37 lakhs!!!
Old 30th May 2012, 12:55   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
He should wisely make decision on his own. Take this example: If the usage of petrol car is about 1000 kms per month, then with 14kmpl he need 71.43 liters of petrol i.e., Rs.5,804/- per month at Bangalore price. If he runs 1000kms pm in diesel car with mileage of 17kmpl then he need 58.82 liters of diesel pm which amounts to Rs.2669/- Hence savings permonth is Rs.3134/- for using diesel car. But now calculate the extra cost of diesel car, in Bangalore he need to pay Rs.137,541/- more for vdi against vxi and add interest of Rs.41,895/- (11%pa for 1.37L for 5 years) It will be Rs.179,436/- more to be paid for diesel car against same model of petrol car. Now divide 1.79L by Rs.3,134/- savings per month. It will be 57.25, which means the breakeven point is 57 months (4years 9 months)to take actual benefit of diesel car and after 4 years 9 months, he starts saving on fuel bill. Now just think if he runs only 500kms per month , then double the period i.e., breakeven period is Nine and half years !!!!
I dont agree on your computation above, your numbers for break even will make sense only if he is buying the car paying the entire cash upfront.

Consider this example using your fuel efficiency numbers:
- Car A (Petrol) costing 5.2 Lakhs
Downpayment: 90,000
Approx EMI/Month for 5 years: 9,000
Fuel Cost for 1000kms: 5,804
Actual total money spent at month 10: 2,38,041

- Car B (Diesel) costing 5.9 Lakhs
Downpayment: 110,000
Approx EMI/Month for 5 years: 10,000
Fuel Cost for 1000kms: 2,669
Actual total money spent at month 10: 2,36,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
With my MJD Punto, I am already making savings in terms of fuel cost. The difference between fully loaded petrol and diesel Punto was around 50K in 2010 August. My ODO is at around 40K now. When my ODO was at around 25K, I made up the extra cost of the diesel car.

Not clear why the difference between Swift VDi / VXi should be as high as 1.37 lakhs!!!
The break even is within as less as 10 months (based on above mentioned prices of Ritz VXi and VDi in 2010 - Mumbai). This is one crucial fact that we miss to calculate, when paying EMI's - calculate based on actual payment made and not the future total payment at end of loan tenure. So in above example as well, the actual breakeven should be sooner.

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 30th May 2012 at 13:00.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:01   #1339
Senior - BHPian

But is the price difference between a petrol and diesel cars, with matching features, only Rs 70,000.00?
Old 30th May 2012, 14:27   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But is the price difference between a petrol and diesel cars, with matching features, only Rs 70,000.00?
As I mentioned above, these were the quotes offered to me in Mumbai when I bought my Ritz VDi in May 2010 including discounts. Not sure about the current rate difference for each model.

Point is that one should calculate on Downpayment + EMI + Fuel Cost per month to arrive at a break even, and not Total Cost + Interest Cost and the difference between Petrol and Diesel (if one is buying using Car Loan)

Brgds,
Vishal

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 30th May 2012 at 14:28.
Old 31st May 2012, 10:50   #1341
BHPian

Check out this link....

Diesel Decider | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice
Old 31st May 2012, 11:22   #1342
BHPian

The cooling power of my new dzire vdi seems to be inadequate for the rear seat even when on full blast. What could be the reason? Is it normal ? Consider an Alto being more effective in its cooling.

What should be the air circulation mode?
Should be internal air be circulated or the outside air mode be selected?

* Its tropical climate with temperate hovering around 45 degree at my place.

(I have put on the same query in the dzire thread and I am asking it here also since the car is basically the same.)
Old 31st May 2012, 12:42   #1343
BHPian

My ZDI has completed 490 odd kms and a few observations

1) The mileage from the first fill-to-fill was 16KMPL with A/C on suburban driving (mostly one person in the car). The temperatures in Chennai has been around 40-43 degrees for most part
2) The engine lugs like anything if I shift by Maruti recommended gear shifts for efficient driving (e.g. 4th to 5th at 40KMPH) and hence decided to shift at 2000/2200 odd RPM. The third gears seems to be bit taller than than the other gears. Not sure whether it is just me or any one else feels the same.
3) The a/c is terrrific
4) Any one I meet (drivers, pertrol heads, lay man) say that it is a great choice and that one cannot go wrong with a Swift. Kudos to Maruti for achieving such credibility with the brand.
5) Friends who did not like the earlier Swift due to interiors and stiff ride quality are impressed by this one.
6) The boot lid closing is a pain. While I have got a hang of it, the office security staff who checks the car daily can't close it right and I have to get out each time to close it perfectly.
7) Yoko A drives that I have seems good for city but a bit noisy on highways but much better than MRF ZVTVs
8) Body roll is slightly there but very controlled. There is a dunk sound while the front wheel goes through big pot holes. Is it due to the shorter travel length of the suspension?
9) Sometimes when engaging the first gear to start, I get a boom sound and a very mild jerk as though some body has nudged you from behind. This happens sometimes when starting after stopping in a signal.
10) Engine clatter has come down and appreciate the sound proofing done by Maruti
11) The doors may need damping due to the boomy bass on the OE music system.
12) The black interiors seems to be a dust magnet and needs more cleaning than my earlier Manza with a beige dash.
13) I am looking for an hand rest cum box but not sure whether it is available for the new swift. The after market hand rests that I have seen used to fit in the bottle holder behind the hand break lever which is not there in the new swift. Has any one fitted hand rests on the new swifts?
14) Has any one tried the white lights for the interiors that is offered as a MGA?
15) The throw of the low beam is a bit less for my liking through the luminosity is very good. Manza had a better thrown for the low beam which suited me driving around in lowly lit areas in Suburban south Chennai. High beam is excellent.
16) The manual states replacement of air filter at 20,000 KM and no cleaning required. I am very surprised that I used to clean the air filter every 5k on the Manza.
17) Breaking is slighthly better than my friends new Swift (Dec 2011).
Old 31st May 2012, 13:09   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
The cooling power of my new dzire vdi seems to be inadequate for the rear seat even when on full blast. What could be the reason? Is it normal ? Consider an Alto being more effective in its cooling.

What should be the air circulation mode?
Should be internal air be circulated or the outside air mode be selected?

* Its tropical climate with temperate hovering around 45 degree at my place.

(I have put on the same query in the dzire thread and I am asking it here also since the car is basically the same.)
Internal circulation is preferred over fresh air to keep the temperatures cooler. Here, the cooler air inside the cabin is re-circulated which means that the hot air from the outside does not mix with it in large amounts and makes it warmer. The cabin will remain comfortable even for the back benchers. Only let in fresh air once in a while, say once every 1 hour for a period of 1-2 minutes or just roll the windows down for half a minute. That should be sufficient.

I currently have a black swift and for Mumbai, the temperatures inside the car are totally comfortable. I keep the ACC at about 22 Deg for the first 10 minutes and then take it up to 24. Havent had any complaints from anyone sitting behind.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:56   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K
9) Sometimes when engaging the first gear to start, I get a boom sound and a very mild jerk as though some body has nudged you from behind. This happens sometimes when starting after stopping in a signal
The very same phenomenon happens on my Ertiga Zdi, but not all the time.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:38   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Internal circulation is preferred over fresh air to keep the temperatures cooler. Here, the cooler air inside the cabin is re-circulated which means that the hot air from the outside does not mix with it in large amounts and makes it warmer. The cabin will remain comfortable even for the back benchers. Only let in fresh air once in a while, say once every 1 hour for a period of 1-2 minutes or just roll the windows down for half a minute. That should be sufficient.

I currently have a black swift and for Mumbai, the temperatures inside the car are totally comfortable. I keep the ACC at about 22 Deg for the first 10 minutes and then take it up to 24. Havent had any complaints from anyone sitting behind.
Thanks for the suggestion. Since the cabin of the car remains closed most of the time, I think that can be the reason. I will go by the idea suggested by you.
Old 31st May 2012, 22:08   #1347
BHPian

Quote:

9) Sometimes when engaging the first gear to start, I get a boom sound and a very mild jerk as though some body has nudged you from behind. This happens sometimes when starting after stopping in a signal.

15) The throw of the low beam is a bit less for my liking through the luminosity is very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel

I also experience the jerk when I turn off the engine. It's as if a vibration passes right through the car for a second before engine switches off.

I agree the stock headlamp setup is not ideal for highway cruising. I am considering Philips Rally white bulbs in future. I hardly do any night time highway driving.
Old 1st June 2012, 08:11   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel

This is a very peculiar Maruti Diesel trait. I had on my earlier Swift VDi and experience it on my current SX4 ZDi also.
Don't be alarmed, its pretty normal for a Maruti Diesel

Have fun driving ..
Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 10:20   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
This is a very peculiar Maruti Diesel trait. I had on my earlier Swift VDi and experience it on my current SX4 ZDi also.
Don't be alarmed, its pretty normal for a Maruti Diesel
- The jerk when shifting to 1st during the first start up of the day is probably due to the cold engine = more viscous fluids around the clutch.

- "bang while shifting to 1st in Diesels" - due to a heavier flywheel (?) being given that kick due to the cold, more viscous fluids around clutch (?) ; less pronounced in a lighter petrol engine (?)

- I'd like to know for sure, too..... Experts ! - comments please

Last edited by CLIX : 1st June 2012 at 10:28.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:12   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
- The jerk when shifting to 1st during the first start up of the day is probably due to the cold engine = more viscous fluids around the clutch.

- "bang while shifting to 1st in Diesels" - due to a heavier flywheel (?) being given that kick due to the cold, more viscous fluids around clutch (?) ; less pronounced in a lighter petrol engine (?)

- I'd like to know for sure, too..... Experts ! - comments please
The problem is not there at all when the engine is cold. I get it after atleast 10 kms of driving when I shift to neutral to stop at a signal and then shift to first in order to move again. The first few times I turned back to see if somebody had hit me and later realized that it is the gear shift.

Thanks everyone for the responses and good to know that I am not alone in this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks