Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 13:30   #1231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

I'm sure the i20 also has passenger side airbag. The Asta variant surely will if not the Magna/Sportz. IIRC, there is also the option to turn off the passenger airbag in the i20. Not very sure about this. Features-wise, the i20 blows the Swift away. The only negatives are poor handling, less FTD factor and higher maintenance costs going by few ownership reviews. The i20 as a package would have been fantastic if there was no Swift to challenge it. 8.31L for ZDi is very steep. 8.59L for i20 I guess is for the Magna variant? I expected the Asta to be 9+ in Bangalore going by the way cars are priced there.
Sorry, I did not mention the model that I was comparing with ZDi. Its igen i20 Sportz model and it does not have passenger side airbag, but has rear disc brakes. Sportz is 8.59L.
Only Asta has passenger side airbags and curtain airbags. Its costs 9L + on road in Bangalore.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:50   #1232
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Like I said in my opening line, the only reason you may buy the Swift is becos others buy it.
I have waited for nearly 7 months to get the swift and there are lot of buyers who prefers to wait that long for this car. If they wanted it, they had alot of choice. Its not because other people are buying it, its definitely because of performance of the car.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:25   #1233
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2012 at 20:16.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th May 2012, 16:10   #1234
Senior - BHPian

I dont own a Swift nor do i have any plans on buying one but if i was in the market for a hatchback and had 7 lakhs in my bag, i would definitely go in for a Swift.

I havent TD the petrol Swift but have had many drives in the all new Swift MJD (DDIS) and its one hoot to drive car. Infact i will buy this hatch for its engine and refinement itself. Whenever the needle crossed 2k rpm, there was a wide grin always on my face. It has all USP's to it, Maruti name, cheap spares and service compared to competitors, good slick gearbox and many other factors.

The only negatives i found were average brakes, flimsy sheet metal, long waiting periods and the Swift is slowly becoming pricey especially for the ZDI variant which has gone past 7.5.

Saying that people buy a Swift just because others buy it is just wrong, this car sells 20k units a month and there are many reasons to it, the herd mentality times have gone, every one spends their money wisely these days and those times "my neighbour bought a Swift, i should get one too" have passed.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:25   #1235
BHPian

Just read the news that Swift has a recall globally but not in India. "Inadequate connection on the rubber fuel filler hose may cause petrol leakage and four such cases have been reported in Japan"

Maruti Suzuki recalls 1 lakh Swift, co says India unaffected - Indian Express

Let us hope there is no such problem in India
Old 9th May 2012, 19:15   #1236
Senior - BHPian

ET has reported that MUL is planning on launching the Swift Sport - Swift Sport India.
Going by ET's history, we should wait to hear officially from MUL.
Old 10th May 2012, 17:31   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Mr Fiestarry would you first go and read the official car reviews about swift and figo first and see what has been written about performance and the engine

here i quote

"Both of the engines in the Figo are lacking in outright performance. Neither engine can exploit the car's dynamics"

which is written in the cons

where as for swift

"• Competent engine range. Very refined motors
• Balanced ride and handling. Superbly tuned suspension
• Terrific fuel efficiency, especially from the diesel
• Effortless to drive in the city; lots of fun on the highway"

Mind you what you are saying is very insulting to the experts who reviewed the car. i would request you to get your facts and statistics right before you throw in your towel

I can verywell see that you are a ford fan boy as you have "fiesta" in your handle name

Last edited by geeash : 10th May 2012 at 17:36.
Old 10th May 2012, 20:18   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
It has a petrol engine that is so lethargic that it ranks 149th in the Autocar 0-100 km timings. Can you believe it. 149th. A time of some 14.5 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

My older Swift petrol 1.2 definitely feels very sprightly.
So inspite of the power bump, the Swift 1.2 VTT is slower than my older Swift. Shucks Maruti, get over your FE fixation..

Acceleration times in seconds :
0-60 :
6.14 - New Swift 1.2VTT
5.5 - Old Swift 1.2K
5.2 - Old Swift 1.3

0-100
14.18 - New Swift 1.2VTT
12.9 - Old Swift 1.2K
13.1 - Old Swift 1.3

*All times are taken from ACI website.

Last edited by sajo : 10th May 2012 at 20:22. Reason: Formatting came out weird. Editing it.
Old 10th May 2012, 20:31   #1239
BHPian

I own a 2006 petrol swift and the reduction of around a second doesn't seem like a big deal to me,

The improvements in terms of responsiveness, refinement and increase in FE are good enough for me. Isn't that what a normal customer would look forward to in the age of R 84/litre of petrol
Old 10th May 2012, 20:40   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
The improvements in terms of responsiveness, refinement and increase in FE are good enough for me. Isn't that what a normal customer would look forward to in the age of R 84/litre of petrol
Completely agree with you nirmaljustdoit.
However, with each new iteration, arent we used to getting something which is actually better than the outgoing version?
So what was actually expected from the new VVT was better performance (we bhpians no? ) , better FE and better refinement.

What FE are petrol owners reporting around here ? We are (well, I am )toying with the idea of getting another Swift P for my dad.
Old 10th May 2012, 20:54   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo

However, with each new iteration, arent we used to getting something which is actually better than the outgoing version?
So what was actually expected from the new VVT was better performance (we bhpians no? ) , better FE and better refinement.

What FE are petrol owners reporting around here ? We are (well, I am )toying with the idea of getting another Swift P for my dad.
The numbers don't seem to be correct. If I can remember correctly, the new Swift VVT does 0-100 in just under 13 seconds. The diesel is claimed to take 14 seconds. While these numbers hardly make a difference in regular usage, the improvements in technology (VVT), FE, improved lower end torque, MID are appreciated. It's a silly move by MUL though to eliminate ABS/EBD option in the V variants.
Old 10th May 2012, 21:43   #1242
BHPian

Forget the numbers but Swift Kseries vvt is a rev friendly motor that is very refined.
It still is a decently powerful car and outclasses almost all its competitors (except maybe honda's ivtec 1.2) and anyday superior to Figo's mediocre petrol.
Old 10th May 2012, 23:21   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

True, but i feel Maruti has intentionally detuned the engine to get better FE.

I am getting 10.5 ~ 11.0 in city driving with Shell Helix Ultra synthetic oil & Shell Premium unleaded fuel. Im sure it would be even lower if i fill elsewhere ! (this is the G13 B unit)

Would be interesting to know the actual mileage owners are reporting, even at 13 kmpl, it will still be 15% improvement, which is good.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:15   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I own a 2006 petrol swift and the reduction of around a second doesn't seem like a big deal to me,

Agreed, don't see the relevance of 0-60 or 0-100 times. Doesn't matter in normal city driving. Even in highways, given our accident-prone roads, certainly don't want to be pushing the car like this.

Petrol at Rs 84/litre I'm in bangalore too, last week it was ~73 in IOC bunk, and when i last filled in shell few weeks ago it was ~79. Has shell raised it to 84 now ?
Old 11th May 2012, 09:43   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Mr Fiestarry would you first go and read the official car reviews about swift and figo first and see what has been written about performance and the engine

here i quote

"Both of the engines in the Figo are lacking in outright performance. Neither engine can exploit the car's dynamics"

which is written in the cons

where as for swift

"• Competent engine range. Very refined motors
• Balanced ride and handling. Superbly tuned suspension
• Terrific fuel efficiency, especially from the diesel
• Effortless to drive in the city; lots of fun on the highway"

Mind you what you are saying is very insulting to the experts who reviewed the car. i would request you to get your facts and statistics right before you throw in your towel

I can verywell see that you are a ford fan boy as you have "fiesta" in your handle name
I am not the person being addressed to here. But having driven both cars I can easily say that, terrific fuel effieciency, ride and handling balance and effortless to drive in the city are all traits of the Figo as well, where it even trumps the swift when it comes to individual preferences. If we come to steering and view from the drivers seat, Figo is still better IMHO. I am not a Maruti basher coz I own the Ritz Vdi myself. But dated looks and interiors and a leisurly highway performance are the only major turn offs for a Figo IMHO.

So the Swift takes the mantle of probably a better car. But I think its become a bit too expensive for what it offers. In Navi Mumbai after the recent tax amd excise hikes the ZDi is almost 8L on road compared to 6.9L for a titanium which again is very expensive. But 8L for a swift hmmm... I think I will take something else..

Last edited by SPARKled : 11th May 2012 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks