Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:21   #1201
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Guys planning to get my car serviced this weekend. Going to be my second free service. The 6 month or 5k service. Completed 5k on my trip to Goa from Mumbai & 2 months to go for 6 months

Had got the oil & filter changed during the first service (Swift VDi) on the advise of members on this thread. Should i do the same during the second? What else do I have to do?

And do I have to get my wheels balanced/ realigned? Or is that part of the free service?

Last edited by AvinashV : 3rd May 2012 at 10:21. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:26   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I thought an ACC was supposed to do all these. And surprisingly, the manual says so.
Recently my ACC has started behaving abnormally. Earlier during Auto AC mode the air circulation mode (FRESH/ RE-CIRCULATE) used to stay at RE-CIRCULATE mode forever until I manually switched over to FRESH mode occasionally.
Now days it automatically and randomly goes to FRESH mode and doesn’t come back to RE-CIRCULATE mode until it’s manually toggled back to RE-CIRCULATE Mode. I realize this only when I can smell exhaust gases from the other vehicles .Once I bring it back to RE-CIRCULATE Mode manually (Auto mode is already enabled) it stays there till the end of journey.

Even initially I thought that Auto AC is supposed to move for FRESH mode occasionally for some time and then jump back, but this is not the case with SWIFT’s ACC. Also in Swift (don’t know about other cars) the AUTO mode is not cancelled if you manually toggle between FRESH and RE-CIRCULATE modes.

Any idea guys what could be the problem?
Old 4th May 2012, 08:33   #1203
Team-BHP Support

Drove the famed ZDi variant for good 200kms on various surfaces yesterday evening. By the time the Car was delivered to my friend, it was late evening.

The lamps had sufficient illumination. I for one found the Z brakes to be competent. No complaints from my end on brakes regard. (I am yet to drive L & V variant of the new Swift)

The seats are well bolstered and I did the 200kms drive in one go. Frankly, I enjoyed the drive The handling is nice, the engine had good grunt despite 4 on board with A/C on and the Scorpio VLX had tough time keeping up & was 10kms behind us after we stopped at our destination.

The only thing which irritated me was too much road noise and not just from tires. As pointed out by GTO, the window glass appears to be quite thin and you don't get the cocooned effect.

Z is worth every penny over L & V, but it costs almost 7.5L and is pricey for what it offers. The waiting time has reduced too, got the blue shade in 10 days.

I saw 5.1 kmpl to 30kmpl on the console, funny if you ask me, floor it, it sinks
Old 4th May 2012, 08:45   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

The only thing which irritated me was too much road noise and not just from tires. As pointed out by GTO, the window glass appears to be quite thin and you don't get the cocooned effect.

Z is worth every penny over L & V, but it costs almost 7.5L and is pricey for what it offers. The waiting time has reduced too, got the blue shade in 10 days.

I saw 5.1 kmpl to 30kmpl on the console, funny if you ask me, floor it, it sinks
pretty much accurate to what I have experienced as well. I do feel that the brakes are spongy in the Z. Road noise is a lot especially if you have the Duraplus.

WRT to the average, I think you are referring to Instantaneous mileage. I have noticed that you can never go below 12-13 kmpl with AC on even if crawling in traffic.

Delivery of a ZDi in 10 days...wow!
Old 4th May 2012, 09:39   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The waiting time has reduced too, got the blue shade in 10 days.
the buggers in chennai took 4 months for alloting my torque blue zdi and i am still to get the car yet !!
Old 4th May 2012, 09:44   #1206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
the buggers in chennai took 4 months for alloting my torque blue zdi and i am still to get the car yet !!
Actually, we ourselves weren't prepared (monetarily) to get the Car so fast, but the sales manager during booking promised that if booked & confirmed, he will try to get it fast.

Frankly, we though the Car would arrive the next month (at the bare minimum) but after getting the call, the papers were arranged in a day and we frantically drove off to the showroom.

While the Car was made available quite fast, the response at GS Motors @ Begusarai was pathetic. Our place is getting its own outlet in another 3 months (work is in progress) and things might improve.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:32   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Recently my ACC has started behaving abnormally. Earlier during Auto AC mode the air circulation mode (FRESH/ RE-CIRCULATE) used to stay at RE-CIRCULATE mode forever until I manually switched over to FRESH mode occasionally.
Now days it automatically and randomly goes to FRESH mode and doesn’t come back to RE-CIRCULATE mode until it’s manually toggled back to RE-CIRCULATE Mode. I realize this only when I can smell exhaust gases from the other vehicles .Once I bring it back to RE-CIRCULATE Mode manually (Auto mode is already enabled) it stays there till the end of journey.

Even initially I thought that Auto AC is supposed to move for FRESH mode occasionally for some time and then jump back, but this is not the case with SWIFT’s ACC. Also in Swift (don’t know about other cars) the AUTO mode is not cancelled if you manually toggle between FRESH and RE-CIRCULATE modes.

Any idea guys what could be the problem?
Try pre-selecting the recirc. mode before you hit the Auto button. The Auto mode will not cancel even if you manually toggle the fresh and recirc. modes. The system is same in my Altis too.

The only difference I see in the Swift's ACC is that the blower does not start off at max speed when you hit the auto button even when the car is parked in the sun. The ACC in my Altis and older Swift ZXi both would start off at full blower speed and gradually reduce as the cabin cooled. Not in the new Swift. It has a funny habit of starting at 50% (even if ACC preset temp and outside temp are 15C apart) and dropping down when the temp. drops.

Quote:

The waiting time has reduced too, got the blue shade in 10 days.
The thin windows coupled with the stock MRF tyres adds to the road noise. Cost cutting at play by MUL here.

10 days delivery time is awesome. Could be because of lower demand for the blue shade in your city.
Old 5th May 2012, 15:39   #1208
BHPian

After a 4 months wait, the dealer offered me a Torque blue ZDI which is in transit instead of the red that I had booked. It seems that red would take a month or two more. Agreed to change the color and paid 3.0L to block the vehicle. The rest will be paid during delivery. Keeping my fingers crossed to get the vehicle before 20th of May.

The dealers was insisting that I take insurance through them but was getting a quote that is nearly 15% less outside (HDFC).

Speaking to customer service head of MSM Guindy whom we know, he was stating that though most insurance companies have cashless tie ups with them but it will be cashless only if it had been done through Maruti. Any such experience for people with MSM Chennai?
Old 5th May 2012, 16:55   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Got a quote for the VDi today ex Vashi. I was absolutely flabbergasted with the quoted amount. Its 694395 with no freebies at all. That is a huge amount of money for a not too well equipped car. At the same time went to the Ford dealer and so far have been able to get him to around 690000 for the top end Titanium with further chance of price reduction and a few freebies too. So whats the VDi missing? Apart from the Dual airbags, alloys, Blue tooth music system, ABS and EBD, 175 tires, poorer road holding and handling, lesser space, I guess nothing more. Guys seriously, whats the obsession with the Swift? Oh yes probably the age old rant of better service and probably better resale. Hmm still I know where I am parking my money.

Last edited by SPARKled : 5th May 2012 at 16:58.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:33   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Got a quote for the VDi today ex Vashi. I was absolutely flabbergasted with the quoted amount. Its 694395 with no freebies at all. That is a huge amount of money for a not too well equipped car. At the same time went to the Ford dealer and so far have been able to get him to around 690000 for the top end Titanium with further chance of price reduction and a few freebies too. So whats the VDi missing? Apart from the Dual airbags, alloys, Blue tooth music system, ABS and EBD, 175 tires, poorer road holding and handling, lesser space, I guess nothing more. Guys seriously, whats the obsession with the Swift? Oh yes probably the age old rant of better service and probably better resale. Hmm still I know where I am parking my money.
Check this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2767842

Swift is expensive. And what you might call a rant is not quite a rant. I have driven both and I definitely prefer the swift when I considering the engine. Also, dynamics are equally good if not better. Also, for some of us, running costs do matter. It is a matter of opinion but who would not want to get more money when you sell your car?

Last edited by Shome : 5th May 2012 at 17:38. Reason: Incomplete response the first time
Old 6th May 2012, 11:03   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled
Why are you comparing the VDi with the Figo Titanium? It's like comparing apples to oranges. Features and price-wise, the Figo T would trump the Swift VDi day in and out. A fair comparison would be the ZDi against the Titanium on features. Pricing wise, the Figo has always been VFM if you are OK with the slightly dated looks and the SOHC 8V engine. You got it right, the age old rant is the main reason for the obsession.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 6th May 2012 at 11:04.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:53   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Update on filling Mineral/ Synthetic oil for new Swift

I checked with the SA when I gave the car for second service. All new Swifts from VIN 179480 onwards comes with synthetic oil from the factory. The first oil change is then at 10,000 KM [3rd service] and only synthetic oil is to be filled. This holds good for all the subsequent services at every 10,000 KM.

All new Swifts with VIN before 179480 can opt for synthetic or mineral.
VIN is the same as chassis number right Deet? Mine is 169730. So i guess at my second service i can stick what i got factory filled & what i changed during my first service right - mineral oil i guess cause it cost me only around 1200
Old 6th May 2012, 20:56   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
VIN is the same as chassis number right Deet? Mine is 169730. So i guess at my second service i can stick what i got factory filled & what i changed during my first service right - mineral oil i guess cause it cost me only around 1200
Yes, it is the chassis number.

Please note oil change is not mandatory during second service. I opted for a mineral oil change and my bill was 1176.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:43   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Why are you comparing the VDi with the Figo Titanium? It's like comparing apples to oranges. Features and price-wise, the Figo T would trump the Swift VDi day in and out. A fair comparison would be the ZDi against the Titanium on features. Pricing wise, the Figo has always been VFM if you are OK with the slightly dated looks and the SOHC 8V engine. You got it right, the age old rant is the main reason for the obsession.
But I guess it makes sense to compare variants at the same price point isn't it? No sense in comparing a variant that is almost 1L more. I already own a Ritz Vdi and seriously in just 1 year of ownership the Swift Vdi is almost 1.3L more than what I paid for an almost equivalent car with almost the same equipment. So really I feel Maruti has really gone overboard this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Check this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2767842

Swift is expensive. And what you might call a rant is not quite a rant. I have driven both and I definitely prefer the swift when I considering the engine. Also, dynamics are equally good if not better. Also, for some of us, running costs do matter. It is a matter of opinion but who would not want to get more money when you sell your car?
No I will not agree with you when you say that dynamics are equally good. There really is a considerable difference in favor of the Figo. Engine wise yes, I will give the swift gets a nod especially on the highway, but in the city the Figo gets my nod. Running costs? I did not understand this point. Yes surely the Swift wins in resale but that is years down the line and really is it so important in this comparison? I have seen good resale value for Ford Fiesta diesels.
Old 6th May 2012, 22:18   #1215
BANNED

The Swift is a car that sells; that in my opinion is the only USP of the car. This and the Maruti name will ensure a higher resale value.
This fact apart, the Swift is a poor performer on virtually every front compared to its competitors. It has a petrol engine that is so lethargic that it ranks 149th in the Autocar 0-100 km timings. Can you believe it. 149th. A time of some 14.5 seconds. Even the Chevy UVA which is considered slow is quicker.
The Swift has a smaller boot, cramped rear seats, and poor visibility for short drivers.
Talking of the Diesel, The Figo diesel is in different class when it comes to driveability. It has no turbo lag and is a refined engine. It has no pretensions to be the King of the Highways and quite rightly so. No midsized hatch should. The Renault diesel in the Micra and the Pulse is terrific for driving as well. Coming to the Swift, its diesel is nice but has irritating turbo lag that even recently graduated from Amby Dsl drivers complain of having to slip the clutch often.
Talking of highway driving how many times does a normal ( not petrolhead) user traverse the highways. And if he does is the 120 kph, that the far better equipped Figo ,comfortably cruises at not enough. Does anyone want to commit harakiri speeding on a Swift which has the poorest brakes in the segment.
Like I said in my opening line, the only reason you may buy the Swift is becos others buy it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks