Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 17:55   #1141
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

If I recollect right, even my old swift had this issue. As far as I know, this is perfectly normal for a diesel car, that some amount of drive train vibration will be felt on the clutch, and thats one reason why the clutch is also a little heavy (Hydraulic, me thinks) compared to the petrol variants. This may be attributed to the heaviness of the diesel engine upfront and resulting vibrations from the same. I dont know the exact technical reason behind this, but have experienced this in varying magnitude in every diesel car I have driven.

If you complain about swift, take a TD of vento/rapid - Your complaint will turn into an appreciation (I own a vento - so know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

They asked me to feel the clutch pedal of a brand new DZire ZDi at idle and even it had the same. It is a concern and I am very curious as to why it is so. I read even the Rapid TDi has clutch pedal vibration.
Old 11th April 2012, 18:03   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Wow. That was very informative and useful. I infact argue to go ahead and start a new thread dedicated to your ownership experience...
Glad that you found it useful. I have also been meaning to do that but waiting for the i20 to hit 10K kms so that an even footing is maintained.

Quote:
Personally I would like to ask you which engine between the two would your rate superior in overall terms.
Technologically, I think both the engines are among the best you can buy in the segment and even match the ones in the higher segment, barring the variable geometry turbos found in the higher segment. Only distinction I can think of is that the Fiat developed DDiS uses a timing chain which has almost nil maintenance (but is slightly noisy) whereas the Hyundai unit uses a timing belt. The gurus can shed more light on other technological differences. Personally, I find the i20's engine a wee bit superior because it is freer revving signifying a better breathing engine, usage of good grade materials and finishing. This is just a personal opinion though.

Quote:
Do you think that by sorting out the gear ratios can make the i20 crdi a much better performer ?
Umm, I don't know for sure but I think it might make it more fun to drive. Hyundai would be using these ratios for extracting optimum fuel efficiency while the Swift is able to achieve the same figure with shorter ratios. A thing to note is that the i20 is about 100 kilos heavier than the Swift.

Quote:
And how would you rate the NVH levels of both cars (engine,suspension and road noise included)
NVH levels are more or less similar with the i20 having a more refined and slightly quieter engine. Road noise is more pronounced in the i20 which is running Apollo tires than in the Swift, which is on Goodyears. That being said, both make above average road noise because none of them have the wheel well completely clad. I don't know why car manufacturers skimp out on this when earlier it used to be the norm. My 5 year old Indica has full cladding for crying out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Your observations are spot on Freewheelin_KD. You got a very good feel for cars.
Hey deetjohn, glad you found it useful and thanks for the comment.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 19:04   #1143
BHPian

I am looking for a OBDII scanner for SWIFT Gen III. Can anyone confirm if OBDII Protocol is supported by the latest generation swift?
Old 13th April 2012, 15:41   #1144
BHPian

For the past few days (now getting worse), my key is not turning in the ignition in one smooth motion. I have to keep playing with the steering towards the right & left & at the same time keep trying to rotate the key. Yesterday i was sitting the car for over 5 minutes before it slotted right & i am sure this isn't cause of the steering lock. Anyone else facing this or faced this issue in their Swift?
Old 14th April 2012, 10:00   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
For the past few days (now getting worse), my key is not turning in the ignition in one smooth motion. I have to keep playing with the steering towards the right & left & at the same time keep trying to rotate the key. Yesterday i was sitting the car for over 5 minutes before it slotted right & i am sure this isn't cause of the steering lock. Anyone else facing this or faced this issue in their Swift?
did you try using your spare key to check if this repeated?
Old 16th April 2012, 14:35   #1146
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Swift Alpha limited edition launched

The limited edition is available with the VXi variant of the Swift hatchback; comes with added features at no extra cost.
http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...-launched/2190
Old 16th April 2012, 14:45   #1147
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift Alpha limited edition launched

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Thanks Ritzman. interesting to see Maruti following the footsteps of VW (IPL edition with extra goodies... to boost sales of Petrol variants)...

However, if someone could share the pics of interior style kit and other cosmetic differences in this variant, that would really help the sale... I am surprised coudnt find many pics online of the alpha variant.

Wondering when Honda would bring out extra goodies to boost sales of their errr.... oopsss, they only have petrol engines !!!

Note from Support - Smiley usage restricted to TWO per post only. Please read the rules of the forum here before submitting any more posts. Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2012 at 20:46. Reason: extra smiley deleted
vidyabhushan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th April 2012, 09:02   #1148
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki launches Swift Alpha Edition despite huge waiting periods
Source: Indian Autos Blog

Though there is a huge waiting period for Maruti Suzuki’s popular hatchback Swift, the automaker is still pushing to make sure that it remains at the top of the leader board. Maruti is producing 20,000 units of the Swift every month at the plant to bring down waiting periods. The Swift has climbed the sales ladder after the launch of the new generation model.
Maruti Suzuki has recently launched a limited edition Swift Alpha model which includes day-to-day features such as:

1. Door sill guard
2. Seat cover
3. Door visor
4. Designer mat
5. Mud flap
6. Interior style kit
7. Spoiler
8. Speakers
9. Music system with Bluetooth

Although most of these accessories can be fitted aftermarket, the advertisement says that you can save up to Rs 7,777 by purchasing this Maruti Swift Alpha Edition.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 11:48   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzman View Post
The limited edition is available with the VXi variant of the Swift hatchback; comes with added features at no extra cost.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Alpha limited edition launched | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
Maruti Suzuki launches Swift Alpha Edition despite huge waiting periods
A total waste of time and effort IMO. Reminds me of the Swift Glam edition which was a miserable failure. Thankfully, Swift Alpha does not have beige interiors! Would appreciate if MUL would have added ABS/EBD, improved brakes and atleast a rear windscreen defogger in this so called Alpha edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
If I recollect right, even my old swift had this issue. As far as I know, this is perfectly normal for a diesel car, that some amount of drive train vibration will be felt on the clutch, and thats one reason why the clutch is also a little heavy (Hydraulic, me thinks) compared to the petrol variants. This may be attributed to the heaviness of the diesel engine upfront and resulting vibrations from the same. I dont know the exact technical reason behind this, but have experienced this in varying magnitude in every diesel car I have driven.

If you complain about swift, take a TD of vento/rapid - Your complaint will turn into an appreciation (I own a vento - so know what I'm talking about)
I have noticed the clutch vibration in my ZDi too. Had never paid attention to this until I read members talking about it on this forum. Your point about Vento/Rapid is comforting indeed .

I have noticed engine oil color (my car came with mineral oil) change to quite a dark black shade 1200 km after the oil was changed at first service. Is it normal for engine oil in diesel cars to go black so early after the oil change? I intend to switch to synthetic at the 5K/2nd service mark.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 17th April 2012 at 11:50.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:50   #1150
BHPian

SWIFT Alpha - has it already hit the showrooms? would love to have a look at this cosmetic change. I am primarly interested in the interior style kit & the spoiler.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:59   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Had to call Vishnu Cars today. Had a chat with the sales advisor as my car is nowhere to be seen coming. The SA has promised me a car within this month and asking me 3 choice of colors which i have told torque blue > glistening grey > silver. i really don't know why he asked me a choice of 3 colours!! Looks like lots of gambling is going on with all dealers in chennai, I think they dont book cars on order of specific people and get it allotted that way rather they try to route the car to those who pressurise them the most !!

I am terribly puzzled !! For 4 months there is no word and now he says ill get a car within this month !!. god !! i havent even started the financial proceedings..........

Nowhere did he mention to me about this alpha thingy !! something fishy !!
Old 17th April 2012, 18:08   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
... i really don't know why he asked me a choice of 3 colours!! Looks like lots of gambling is going on with all dealers in chennai, I think they dont book cars on order of specific people and get it allotted that way rather they try to route the car to those who pressurise them the most !!
Need not be a fraud. Some people keep the color option "open" when they want the car quicker! Some times dealers get a color [allotment from Maruti is random] for which they many not have bookings at all. In that case, irrespective of the queue position, these cars will be allotted to people who don't have color preferences.

For example, when I booked my Red Swift VDi ABS in 2008, I was offered a white VDi ABS in flat 2 days [though the waiting period was 2-3 months] since there was no bookings for a white which was allotted to my dealer. Since I rejected it, it went to some one else.

Edit:: If the dealer gets any of those colors that you mentioned, he is going to check with you whether you are interested in taking that!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th April 2012 at 18:10. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion!
Old 17th April 2012, 18:21   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
For the past few days (now getting worse), my key is not turning in the ignition in one smooth motion. I have to keep playing with the steering towards the right & left & Anyone else facing this or faced this issue in their Swift?
Yes. Faced the same problem.
Mine is a 2006 model SWIFT Petrol. Apparently the key , after repeated usage for so many years gets worn out and the teeth in the key do not sync with the grooves in the ignition barrel.
I tried with my duplicate key (which was brand new as I had never used it before) and it now works absolutely fine.
And, no i did not open up the ignition barrel/steering lock cluster . Home remedy did the trick.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:18   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Had to call Vishnu Cars today. Had a chat with the sales advisor as my car is nowhere to be seen coming. The SA has promised me a car within this month and asking me 3 choice of colors which i have told torque blue > glistening grey > silver. i really don't know why he asked me a choice of 3 colours!! Looks like lots of gambling is going on with all dealers in chennai, I think they dont book cars on order of specific people and get it allotted that way rather they try to route the car to those who pressurise them the most !!

I am terribly puzzled !! For 4 months there is no word and now he says ill get a car within this month !!. god !! i havent even started the financial proceedings..........

Nowhere did he mention to me about this alpha thingy !! something fishy !!
I am in the same situation here. My dad has been liaisioning with the SE who mentioned that they got 2 set of allottments this month (one in 13th and the other yesterday) without any ZDI and asking me to take the VDI instead. Looks like that they do a lot of booking of fast moving models (VDI) using dummy customers and allocate to priority customers who pressurize. They don't seem to do that with ZDI. My friends white ZDIs booking is open from Nov 1st week and it is nowhere where in sight. Would take the *will be available next month* with a bucket load of salt.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:17   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Yes. Faced the same problem.
Mine is a 2006 model SWIFT Petrol. Apparently the key , after repeated usage for so many years gets worn out and the teeth in the key do not sync with the grooves in the ignition barrel.
I tried with my duplicate key (which was brand new as I had never used it before) and it now works absolutely fine.
And, no i did not open up the ignition barrel/steering lock cluster . Home remedy did the trick.
Yeah the only twist in the tale is mine is a 3 month old car .
Will try the spare key but guess still this shouldn't be happening. Will ask them to give a look at it during the second service.

Most Viewed