Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 12:18   #1321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx
There is a news in todays TOI (and other newspapers) that a Swift Diesel caught fire in Delhi and the driver charred to death as he couldnt get out as central locking got activated and doors could not be opened.

Man dies after getting trapped in burning car - The Times of India

Are there any other such Swift related hazards? There is a VW Vento thread also regarding fires and all of them have been Diesels. I was just wondering if theres something wrong with Diesel engines or the fuel itself.
Thanks for sharing, its quite unfortunate that a life is lost because of such incident. My understanding is that if there was some problem with Diesel Engines then such reports should be in higher number. Also in the same news report, there is another report of Wagon R burning which is Petrol.

It is reported that the person in the burning swift could not come out due to central locking as it was not possible to open the door. Now we can look at it in two possibilities. One being that the person in the car panicked because of gaseous emission from burning plastic parts and also because of flames around him. Because of such a situation it is possible that driver had lost his senses and could not open the door. Another possibility is that the door handles got burnt down, making it not possible for driver to get out.

Important is that the car company should give a proper explanation after investigation and take corrective action to avoid any such repeat in future.
Old 27th May 2012, 13:24   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
ZXI or ZDI? Which of the two is driver's delight? Let's keep aside petrol price and mileage for the time being.
ZXi is little easier to drive, very refined and free revving. But once you are used to the DDiS, you will not return back to Petrol Swift for sure
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 13:45   #1323
BHPian

I cut the sidewall of my brand new yoko a drive on the zdi a couple of days back after hitting a stone jutting out of the divider.

Replacing will set me back by 5k, but if I get it changed it to a tube type and use as a spare, I am poorer by abt 600 bucks.

Have read its not safe to use a tubeless converted to a tube type. Is it worth the 4k saved?
Old 27th May 2012, 13:49   #1324
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
I cut the sidewall of my brand new yoko a drive on the zdi a couple of days back after hitting a stone jutting out of the divider.

Replacing will set me back by 5k, but if I get it changed it to a tube type and use as a spare, I am poorer by abt 600 bucks.

Have read its not safe to use a tubeless converted to a tube type. Is it worth the 4k saved?
4k is a very small amount and would advice you not to put your and your family's safety at stake. Please change the tyre to new one as soon as possible.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:41   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp

Hi I had also same issue with old gen Swift and went for a tube fitted instead of going for replacement tyre. But this tube tyre is now used as spare tyre instead of regular tyres.

Since you must have got only 4 yoko drives better is to get a new tubeless tyre instead of converting the damaged tyre to a tube fitted tyre.
Old 27th May 2012, 16:07   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Hi I had also same issue with old gen Swift and went for a tube fitted instead of going for replacement tyre. But this tube tyre is now used as spare tyre instead of regular tyres.

Since you must have got only 4 yoko drives better is to get a new tubeless tyre instead of converting the damaged tyre to a tube fitted tyre.
no, i had all the 5 tyres changed. so even if i choose to go for converting the damaged one to tube, i will still have a set of 4 new yokos to use regularly.
Old 27th May 2012, 17:32   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp

no, i had all the 5 tyres changed. so even if i choose to go for converting the damaged one to tube, i will still have a set of 4 new yokos to use regularly.
Then from usage point of view if spending 4k doesn't seem worth then you may use the tube tyre as spare tyre and from my experience I have used it for almost 4 years like this without any problems.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:52   #1328
BHPian

I noticed a strange noise coming ( most likely from the front right wheel) every time the wheels turn. Noticed this today morning. There is no change in the steering effort required. Didn't notice anything which might be stuck between the wheel and arches.

Any idea what it could be? Will take it to mass soon.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:39   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
The rattling bit is a little surprising. Hopefully better managed than in the older model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Surprising. Quite possible your friend has had the door panels opened up for fitting after market speakers and any other accessories. More often than not, the guys don't do a good job fitting the panels properly back in place leading to rattles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
It all depends on ones driving style and road conditions. For example Moralfibre has put an 18k+ Kms update on his new gen Swift and has not faced any rattling issue.
Rattles are minor, one of them could be the right rear door panel - as you said, after the speakers were fitted. The other though apparently was from left rear, somewhere below the seat. Did not find anything hanging out in that area though.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:15   #1330
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift and Wagon R win I-Mark 2012 certification by India Design Mark in its first year!

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki’s Swift and Wagon R emerged as the only four-wheelers to be awarded with the I-Mark 2012 certification by India Design Mark in its first year. They were among the 31 different products from various categories which were awarded
Quote:
India Design Mark was conceived by the council in cooperation with Japan Institute of Design Promotion (JDP) in January 12, 2012. Mr. Anand Mahindra is the President of India Design Council and its members. Jury for the year 2012 included eminent people in the design field. All of them are Indians and most of them are related toNational Institute on Design at Ahmedabad
Old 29th May 2012, 13:02   #1331
Team-BHP Support

Ever heard of anyone waiting 1+ year for a Swift? One of my team-mates booked an ZXi last september, cancelled it recently (When his car got allotted finally) and planning to book Swift ZDi once more. (Waiting period qouted is 6+ months).
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Swift and Wagon R win I-Mark 2012 certification by India Design Mark in its first year!=
Whats this certification? Didn't properly understand!

Does it say Swift and WagonR are the best designs among their categories?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th May 2012 at 13:10.
Old 29th May 2012, 13:17   #1332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ever heard of anyone waiting 1+ year for a Swift? One of my team-mates booked an ZXi last september, cancelled it recently (When his car got allotted finally) and planning to book Swift ZDi once more. (Waiting period qouted is 6+ months).
Was this decision triggered by the recent petrol hike? My sales guy at the Maruti showroom told me most ZXi bookings are being converted into ZDi / VDi bookings now.

My ZDi was booked in March and I can only expect it by the end of this year. I heard that Maruti has been receiving lots of orders for ZDi recently, but still has not bothered scaling up the manufacturing capacity for this variant. As a result, waiting periods continue to increase in duration . It is now 10 months in Bangalore for ZDi and 6 months for VDi.

P.S - petrol Swifts (ZXi) are available almost off the shelf now, in less than a month.
Old 29th May 2012, 13:52   #1333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Does it say Swift and WagonR are the best designs among their categories?

Quote:
India Design Mark is not a contest, it is a Design standard, in other words, a certification of excellence in design. Any manufacturer can apply for their product for I-Mark certification. The product is evaluated through two stages. The first stage is completely online, whereas in the second stage the product will be evaluated physically

Old 29th May 2012, 14:41   #1334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Was this decision triggered by the recent petrol hike?
No. Not at all!

Infact, it was triggered by the advise of his friends and relatives. He is not even going to use the car regularly - but when his friends and relatives came to know he is buying a petrol car - they all advised him to buy a diesel.

Amazing thing here - Swift is the only car considered. The car everyone recommends without much hesitation. I thought he would consider other cars atleast when the ZXi was cancelled. Such loyalty is unfathomable (specially in today's competitive market) and Maruti really does deserve a pat on the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Yes. Read that news article earlier itself. But its not clear at all!

Does not even mention which all cars where considered, which all manufacturers applied for the certification and such details. And most importantly - WagonR deserves a 'certificate of excellence in design'? (No offence to owners - I myself own one).
Old 29th May 2012, 17:36   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
No. Not at all!

Infact, it was triggered by the advise of his friends and relatives. He is not even going to use the car regularly - but when his friends and relatives came to know he is buying a petrol car - they all advised him to buy a diesel.
He should wisely make decision on his own. Take this example: If the usage of petrol car is about 1000 kms per month, then with 14kmpl he need 71.43 liters of petrol i.e., Rs.5,804/- per month at Bangalore price. If he runs 1000kms pm in diesel car with mileage of 17kmpl then he need 58.82 liters of diesel pm which amounts to Rs.2669/- Hence savings permonth is Rs.3134/- for using diesel car. But now calculate the extra cost of diesel car, in Bangalore he need to pay Rs.137,541/- more for vdi against vxi and add interest of Rs.41,895/- (11%pa for 1.37L for 5 years) It will be Rs.179,436/- more to be paid for diesel car against same model of petrol car. Now divide 1.79L by Rs.3,134/- savings per month. It will be 57.25, which means the breakeven point is 57 months (4years 9 months)to take actual benefit of diesel car and after 4 years 9 months, he starts saving on fuel bill. Now just think if he runs only 500kms per month , then double the period i.e., breakeven period is Nine and half years !!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks