Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 17:34   #1426
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
That's comforting. Btw how much FE should I expect before 1st service i.e. 1000kms.
Anything around 15-16 KMPL should be a good figure. Again it all depends on your driving style and the kind of traffic and roads you face.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 13:02   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Same issue and reason with mine too. Torque Blue ZDi booked in the end of March, now the sales advisor says he will be able to give the car only by year end , says November or so. Last few weeks, I thought I saw the ad in papers about Swift's production being ramped up. Sadly that doesn't seem to have any effect on ZDis' waiting period
November would be some sort of record for Maruti delay.
I have anyways put the query to Maruti to which they have neither denied or accepted the delay till date. Suggest to write to Maruti as well so as to try and get a clearer picture.
kartik.virmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 15:40   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome

Replied to your PM. 100/90 will void warrantly but after speaking to the the Service advisors at MASS, it seems highly unlikely that this will cause any issues with the electricals. All he said was make sure that the relay is installed at a reliable place.
I have made up my mind to go for the 100/90 setup.

Enquired at the dealership and even they do it and said warranty will not be affected. However they said it will cost about 2.5k!

Enquired with a local mechanic and he said it will come to about 1.3k including wiring, relay, bulbs etc. is this pricing ok?

Also, he said Bosch systems the wiring has been giving problems and suggested I go for roots. Any suggestions there?

I see Philips essential vision and rally being mentioned on the forum. Which one should I go for?
Old 11th July 2012, 16:26   #1429
AWD
BHPian

Another query, I checked engine oil levels dipstick but could not ascertain the level. Is the oil transparent in color? Also there's a patch of liquid on the floor under the hood but does not leave any stain on drying, what could it be? Wasn't able to spot level marker for washer fluid too!

In case engine oil level is low, does a light/lamp glow in the instrument cluster?

& do we get a seperate warranty card for the battery or is it inside the cars warranty booklet?

Last edited by AWD : 11th July 2012 at 16:28.
Old 11th July 2012, 17:12   #1430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another query, I checked engine oil levels dipstick but could not ascertain the level. Is the oil transparent in color? Also there's a patch of liquid on the floor under the hood but does not leave any stain on drying, what could it be? Wasn't able to spot level marker for washer fluid too!

In case engine oil level is low, does a light/lamp glow in the instrument cluster?

& do we get a seperate warranty card for the battery or is it inside the cars warranty booklet?
Well, you have to check how much of the metal part of the dipstick is "wet". Observe the dipstick against sunlight and it should be visible properly then. You can't make out the color directly on the metal .

regarding your other query, it is most likely condensation of moisture if the A/C was switched on. This usually happens on humid, cloudy days or early mornings if you run the car with the air conditioner on. The A/C's water drain pipe will usually discharge to the ground. Don't be surprised to find a puddle under your car when you park it and return after some time, it is perfectly normal . That fact that you mentioned no stains explains why that should have been water from the A/C drain

Low engine oil level is indicated on the instrument cluster display. Usually when you bring the key to 'on' position in most cars, the oil indicator should come on and go off after the 2 second diagnostic check is done. If it stays, then you have an oil level problem. The oil indicator is usually the yellow 'Kettle' symbol with dripping droplets.

The OEM battery's warranty card should be one leaf in the owner's manual with your details and vehicle details filled up by the dealer. Check it out.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th July 2012 at 17:20.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 17:22   #1431
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
metal part of the dipstick is "wet". Observe the dipstick against sunlight and it should be visible properly then.
condensation of moisture if the A/C was switched on
Yes its a metal dipstick & it was difficult making out the level, I shall try your method now.

Spot on, how did A.C. condensation skip my mind? Maybe because I did not drive the car a lot!

Actually Im a bit wary of certain things because the cars PDI did not seem to have been done properly. The front bumper was scratched on delivery, I spotted it & got it replaced with a new one. There are a few green/blue colored marks made with a marker/crayon on the car. They get removed when wiped with wet cloth hard enough but such marks should not be there on a newely delivered car. Im confused on one such big mark, its on the inside of the rear door, above the window glass. There are a couple of long arrows, don't know what it signifies!

Yup the lights go out after about 2 secs. that means I really do not have to check the dip-stick.

Did not find any mention of battery warranty on owners manual, will contact the dealer on this.

Where is the wiper washer fluid level marker?

Last edited by AWD : 11th July 2012 at 17:26.
Old 11th July 2012, 17:49   #1432
BHPian

How does the MID calculate the average fuel economy? Any idea guys?
Is it the average fuel economy from the beginning or it keeps on renewing itself after certain interval?
Old 11th July 2012, 17:58   #1433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Actually Im a bit wary of certain things because the cars PDI did not seem to have been done properly. The front bumper was scratched on delivery, I spotted it & got it replaced with a new one. There are a few green/blue colored marks made with a marker/crayon on the car. They get removed when wiped with wet cloth hard enough but such marks should not be there on a newely delivered car. Im confused on one such big mark, its on the inside of the rear door, above the window glass. There are a couple of long arrows, don't know what it signifies!
Oops, the marks should not have been there on a brand new car - my 2 cents. Try to get the marks removed by the dealer where you purchased it? Was this in Bangalore? Which dealer?

Quote:
Did not find any mention of battery warranty on owners manual, will contact the dealer on this.
If you got a warranty booklet along with the other manuals, chances are the battery warranty will also be among the other warranty cards.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the exact marker level location, since my Swift ZDi is still under production and my current Swift is gen-1 (other new-gen Swift owners might chip in better here). You can just open the washer reservoir and check the level anyway. On second thought, why would you want to check that washer level? just asking. Is the washer not working from the wiper lever inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Is it the average fuel economy from the beginning or it keeps on renewing itself after certain interval?
Does the MID just show it as an average number? I am a little surprised to hear this. In my Linea, there are 2 tripmeters and the average consumption is shown for the distance that the tripmeters were recording. In other words, there is AcA and there is AcB (Average consumption for tripmeter A or B). For generic fuel consumption, there is an instantaneous consumption mode which usually shows some prediction based on how much throttle input we give / speed / A/C position. How is the MID fuel consumption display for the Swift and what modes does it have? Any pictures of this? Curious to know.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th July 2012 at 18:12.
Old 11th July 2012, 18:13   #1434
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Oops, the marks should not have been there on a brand new car
why would you want to check that washer level? just asking. Is the washer not working from the wiper lever inside
Yes newely delivered car had those marks, why do they put those marks?

Opened the washer fluid container & could not spot any fluid in there, its a long funnel & could not spot any level marker too.
Old 11th July 2012, 18:23   #1435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes newely delivered car had those marks, why do they put those marks?
Not sure what marks they were. I am assuming this is on the rear door trim panel, from your description. Perhaps they were put there during production phase to mark some measurement or during the QC check to measure or verify something inside. Anyway, they should not have been there when the vehicle was sent out of the factory. Get it removed when you give it for your first service, or if it is too noticeable, get it removed by the dealer.
Old 11th July 2012, 18:31   #1436
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what marks they were. I am assuming this is on the rear door trim panel
Sigh of relief! A few marks were on the exteriors, like on the handles, fenders, front pillars. Removed them with wet cloth & vigrous rubbing. The markes on the inside were removed but a big one on the rear door escaped my eyes. Noticed it Yesterday only. Its on the rear door metal part above rear window glass.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:22   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post

Enquired at the dealership and even they do it and said warranty will not be affected. However they said it will cost about 2.5k!

Enquired with a local mechanic and he said it will come to about 1.3k including wiring, relay, bulbs etc. is this pricing ok?

Also, he said Bosch systems the wiring has been giving problems and suggested I go for roots. Any suggestions there?

I see Philips essential vision and rally being mentioned on the forum. Which one should I go for?

Both quotes are more than it actually costs. The actual cost of hardware is as follows:
TVS Relay kit with wiring harness - Rs485/-
Philips Rally 100/90 - Rs300/- for a pair
Total 785/-
And for the 15 minute plug n play installation job (which you can DIY if you are willing) how much are they going to charge for labour - 100?

I've been using the TVS relay kit for more than two years in two cars and no problems its reliable even with 100/130 bulbs. And they come in nice plastic containers like the one you get when you buy sweets

Roots relay kit should cost the same as TVS, but i haven't used it. Bosch relay kit is bound to be more expensive if the relay they come bundled with is one of their small double relays. Hella relay kit is around 600 i guess.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:13   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Opened the washer fluid container & could not spot any fluid in there, its a long funnel & could not spot any level marker too.
There is no marker for the washer liquid level. You need to top up whenever you find that the spray on the windshield is weak.

Quote:

Does the MID just show it as an average number? I am a little surprised to hear this. In my Linea, there are 2 tripmeters and the average consumption is shown for the distance that the tripmeters were recording. In other words, there is AcA and there is AcB (Average consumption for tripmeter A or B). For generic fuel consumption, there is an instantaneous consumption mode which usually shows some prediction based on how much throttle input we give / speed / A/C position. How is the MID fuel consumption display for the Swift and what modes does it have? Any pictures of this? Curious to know.
There are 3 modes in the MID for fuel efficiency - the instantaneous FE, average FE and range. The "average FE" can be reset anytime by holding down the right side switch. I do this every time I do a tank full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
You can reset the average FE display any time you want. The MID calculates FE based on fuel consumed which again depends on driving style and engine load (inclines and A/C usage).
fuel_addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 13:06   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post

There are 3 modes in the MID for fuel efficiency - the instantaneous FE, average FE and range. The "average FE" can be reset anytime by holding down the right side switch. I do this every time I do a tank full.

You can reset the average FE display any time you want. The MID calculates FE based on fuel consumed which again depends on driving style and engine load (inclines and A/C usage).
Thanks for the explanation fuel_addict and that should have cleared KarthikK's doubt as well.
I didn't know how to reset the average fuel consumption meter.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 18:26   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post

100/90 setup is the way to go, but 2.5k is exhorbitant! 1.3k is the current market rate. The relay will cost about Rs 700-800, Hella will cost about Rs 300 a pair while Essential vision will be about Rs 650 a pair. You can bargain a bit on the cost.

What do you mean by go for roots? I know of my friends who have gone for a local brand called Minda(?) for the relay and he's had no issues with it in his swift.

I have the Phillips essential vision in my swift and the Hella Rally on the new Verna. The rally gives yellow light while the essential vision gives a whitish yellow light. Choice of colour is yours and both are good brands. I prefered essential vision because the light just seemed better than the normal yellow light and it does make my Black swift look a little beter . Also, as per reviews, phillips seem to last a little longer.

Next in line are the fog lamps.

Quote:
Yes its a metal dipstick & it was difficult making out the level, I shall try your method now.

In addition to what has been mentioned by others, once the car has run for about 500 kms, the engine oil will turn black which will make detecting the engine oil level absolutely clear. Engine oil turning black is good which means that it is cleaning all the carbon off the engine.

There is not wiper washer fluid marker. Just fill it halfway up the funnel and you should be good for the entire monsoons.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2012 at 02:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks