Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 02:36   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltufnel
Im in a strange dilemma..i had booked a swift vdi a couple of months back and due to the excessive waiting time, i had decided to buy the polo tdi. But now theres a chance, thanks to the 'great jugaad', that i might get the swift in the next couple of days. Should i go for the swift?
I did love the nice suave handling of the polo and also the suspension along with the huge boot space. The swift has good handling but the boot is crap. I was wondering which of these 2 cars will be better for long term since i dont really plan to change cars soon. Atleast for the next 5-6 years..
Well it really depends on what's more important for you. I've driven both cars and here's what I'd recommend :

If boot space ,sheer interior quality and brand image matter to you then get the Polo. Be warned, its expensive to maintain in the long run and I was told that VW has no 'free' services.

If the above don't matter to you or things like ftd,low cost of maintenance and vfm outweigh the other priorities get the Swift.

All the best with your decision
Old 12th December 2011, 07:23   #557
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltufnel View Post
Im in a strange dilemma..i had booked a swift vdi a couple of months back and due to the excessive waiting time, i had decided to buy the polo tdi. But now theres a chance, thanks to the 'great jugaad', that i might get the swift in the next couple of days. Should i go for the swift?
I did love the nice suave handling of the polo and also the suspension along with the huge boot space. The swift has good handling but the boot is crap. I was wondering which of these 2 cars will be better for long term since i dont really plan to change cars soon. Atleast for the next 5-6 years..
If boot space, suspension and handling is what you loved - then better choice is Figo, compared to Polo. Better VFM, better features (for the price), one of the best ride & handling package, best driveability and I guess it should be easier to maintain than the VW as well.

That 1.2 TDi 3- cylinder engine does not do justice to the Polo, IMO. If VW brings a 1.5 TDi soon - with a good price - I'm all for it!
Old 12th December 2011, 12:55   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If boot space ,sheer interior quality and brand image matter to you then get the Polo. Be warned, its expensive to maintain in the long run and I was told that VW has no 'free' services.

If the above don't matter to you or things like ftd,low cost of maintenance and vfm outweigh the other priorities get the Swift.
, if sheer quality, boot matters its polo but comes with a expensive maintenance.Low maintenance, FTD its Swift but with a small boot, not comfortable ride at rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That 1.2 TDi 3- cylinder engine does not do justice to the Polo, IMO. If VW brings a 1.5 TDi soon - with a good price - I'm all for it!
It's 1.6 TDi right?
Old 12th December 2011, 13:28   #559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
, if sheer quality, boot matters its polo but comes with a expensive maintenance.Low maintenance, FTD its Swift but with a small boot, not comfortable ride at rear.
Ride at the rear is not a problem with the new gen Swift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
It's 1.6 TDi right?
Rumours were that VW plan to downsize it to 1.5L 94 bhp to meet the small car tax bracket. Would still be the most powerful diesel hatch though!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 20:08   #560
BHPian

I just got a call from the dealer saying my car VDi has been dispatched from the factory & that he needs the whole payment before the arrival of the car.
Had to argue for over 30 mins with him giving me "gyaan" like they would be doing PDI themselves & they would never give a customer a damaged car & so on & so forth.
He the agreed upon a part payment that is 50% of the amount before the car arrives as he says otherwise he can allot the car to my name & that he would not be able to unload the car from the truck cause of octroi charges (didn't get the point).
Should i agree to the part payment?
Old 14th December 2011, 21:30   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
I just got a call from the dealer saying my car VDi has been dispatched from the factory & that he needs the whole payment before the arrival of the car.
Had to argue for over 30 mins with him giving me "gyaan" like they would be doing PDI themselves & they would never give a customer a damaged car & so on & so forth.
A dealer would try and sell the a car no matter what condition it is in, so do not trust the Dealer on this. Do the PDI yourself and and make sure you are satisfied before the car goes for registration.

Quote:
He the agreed upon a part payment that is 50% of the amount before the car arrives as he says otherwise he can allot the car to my name & that he would not be able to unload the car from the truck cause of octroi charges (didn't get the point).
Should i agree to the part payment?
Try and convince him that you would do the payment only once you are done with the PDI. In case he is adamant, do a part payment (cash or post dated cheque if allowed) but DO NOT sign on the registration form. He would not be able to send the car for registration unless he has the form signed by you so in case you find any defect in the car during the PDI ask him to arrange for a different car or else pay back the amount. Once registered the car would be yours so just make sure that he is not able to send it for registration till the PDI is done.
SwiftSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 21:31   #562
BHPian

Quote:
When did you book the car?
Old 15th December 2011, 00:44   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
When did you book the car?
About 4 months back. Mid-August.
Old 15th December 2011, 00:57   #564
BHPian

I got a call from the dealer here that he can get me my car in December. The thing is that people are not taking cars here in December as the model will be a year old within a month, and hence he is pushing someone else's car on me. I politely refused as it did not make any sense to me to take the depreciation of a year within a month, when I can wait and get a 2012 model in Jan.

He did try very hard to convince me to take it saying there will be no depreciation, and that the cost is going to rise in Jan 2012, etc. For a moment I was about to agree, but then I decided against it. I hope I made the right choice here, would someone like to throw some light on this dilema of mine?
Old 15th December 2011, 02:14   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
He did try very hard to convince me to take it saying there will be no depreciation, and that the cost is going to rise in Jan 2012, etc. For a moment I was about to agree, but then I decided against it. I hope I made the right choice here, would someone like to throw some light on this dilema of mine?
I had the same confusion but then heard that it isn't the registration date that matters in most cases but the month of manufacture & to get a 2012 manufactured car, you would at least have to wait another 3 months from now i guess, which is why i went ahead.
Plus don't want anymore price rises which would negate the point of having waited even longer for the car.
AvinashV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 06:06   #566
BHPian

Same happened with me. My dealer was pushing me to get the car now. He was also telling there will be price hike in Jan. I insist on a 2012 make. So it will take another 2 months. I waned the car before the next budget where there may be some additional tax for diesel cars. Any one got B2B insurance from dealership. My dealer told it is not their with their insurance companies and the insurance quote was 18K. Is it a good one or shall i check outside?
Old 15th December 2011, 10:37   #567
BHPian

Even I gotta call from my dealer saying ldi and vdi are available by next week.
This is the same dealer which had no idea when was the car coming.
I had booked ldi on 18 August and in between decided to shift to Vdi (Before the 10k price hike!!!) They never really showed a positive attitude before as when i asked to upgrade to Vdi he told me to e-mail it to him and i asked for his e-mail id. Its been nearly 2 months and i never received his e-mail id!
So you can easily guess customer are shying away from taking deliveries.
I've kept him on hold for the moment and told him i will get back.
Please suggest what should i do?
-Buy now?
-Buy in Jan?
-Buy a 2012 manufactured car when it arrives?

O.T. On the road prices for DELHI
Ldi is 5.86
Vdi is 6.33

When i booked ldi on 18 Aug OTR was 5.68
My dad will kill me!

Last edited by yogiii : 15th December 2011 at 10:40.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:52   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
I hope I made the right choice here, would someone like to throw some light on this dilema of mine?
+1 to what AvinashV said.

I think you should go ahead with the purchase this year.

3 reasons.
  1. You'll have to wait till Jan end or Feb at least to get a 2012 manufactured car.
  2. I checked the resale value for Swift Diesel. It is approximately a difference of 10K between 2 model years and that too over a period of 3+ years. Not a good enough reason for not having a new car for 2 or more months and that too during the holiday season.
  3. Then, there is the scare of ever increasing price for Diesel cars.
So, go ahead and get your car.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:04   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
-Buy now?
-Buy in Jan?
-Buy a 2012 manufactured car when it arrives?
This confusion has to happen during the month of December. While it is better to buy the new 2012 model, but one cannot ignore the fact that Delhi registration / govt. taxes are bound to increase in early next month.

Plus I have also heard that Maruti has bi-annual plant maintenance shutdown which would be in 1st week of Jan. This shutdown is for 10 days normally, therefore the delivery is bound to get late.
As all the manufacturers are rising prices, MSIL would probably do the same once the new lot is dispatched for 2012.

So I think it is better to take the delivery now, than paying extra amount and getting the deliver late. Considering all these factors in mind, its you who has to take the final call.

Last edited by ankurvirmani19 : 15th December 2011 at 12:04. Reason: spell check
Old 15th December 2011, 12:41   #570
BHPian

Guys,
I got the ZDi delivered yesterday. I went ahead with the purchase as there would not really be a big difference between Jan and Dec.
Also, I don't like the waiting period one bit.
For all those who are confused, the prices are likely to rise further. I already paid 10k extra than what I had finalized upon.

Please let me know one advantage of getting the car in Jan?
Maruti would not change anything in the car as it's selling well.
The resale would not be very different. The Swift already has excellent resale value.

P.S.- The ICE on the test drive car was way more punchy than my car. Is it because of the freshness or they have secretly changed stuff around

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks