Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 11:12   #466
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

IMHO and my experience with almost a two month old Swift 2k11
The new Monocoque frame looks promising and stable . The increase in the length and width gives excellent stability which was missing in earlier versions

Suspension is among the best ever.
Dunno about the crash strength stability.

But overall stance and stability is awesome

Cheers
-
Viki
Old 17th November 2011, 21:24   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Alongwith Poor brakes in L & V variants, New Swift's build quality is really poor & flimsy, not only relative to the competition but its elder cheaper sibling Ritz too.
What make you to think so when all the customers are happy on the build quality of Swift. Any proofs. Agreed on the breaking issue.
Old 17th November 2011, 22:04   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
What make you to think so when all the customers are happy on the build quality of Swift. Any proofs. Agreed on the breaking issue.
The build quality is excellent and looks & feels miles ahead of the old swift! but there are minor niggles like panel gaps which puts me off. My 1 week old swift has wide panel gap between the windscreen and the plastic garnish. I have reported this to the service department who say that they will order for a replacement of the garnish section. I will post the pics tomorrow for you to understand better. Other than that, I feel my Vxi is absolute VFM! love every second of driving it.
Old 18th November 2011, 21:57   #469
BANNED

Happy news for those who wait for Swift:

Source: Business Line : Companies News : Maruti expects to clear Swift backlog by April

“We expect to make around 18,000-20,000 Swift units a month as soon as the second line at Manesar becomes fully operational by January. It should take four-five months to clear the backlog,” Mr M M Singh, Maruti Suzuki's Managing Executive Officer for Production told Business Line.

When the new second line is fully operational, Maruti will be able to make around 2,100 units a day at Manesar (up from about 1,400 units right now). At present, the first line makes up to 1,200 units across two shifts, while the second line (running on trial) is making about 200 units.
“By January, the second line will have no bottlenecks, so I would expect capacity to go up to 800-900 units a day, depending on the demand,” Mr Singh said.
He said, “We need more manpower and have to develop the right skills to handle the new machines. We are hiring from many places while shifting workers across other lines.”
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 09:29   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Happy news for those who wait for Swift:

“We expect to make around 18,000-20,000 Swift units a month as soon as the second line at Manesar becomes fully operational by January. It should take four-five months to clear the backlog,” Mr M M Singh, Maruti Suzuki's Managing Executive Officer for Production told Business Line.

When the new second line is fully operational, Maruti will be able to make around 2,100 units a day at Manesar (up from about 1,400 units right now). At present, the first line makes up to 1,200 units across two shifts, while the second line (running on trial) is making about 200 units.
Good news indeed for those who have booked swift or thinking of doing so.

Trying to get the maths here - if they can make 2100 units a day, assuming 20 working days a month, shouldn't they be able to make 40,000 units a month, instead of the 18-20K ?

Are there other reasons due to which the full production cannot be done, or some other bottle-necks due to which effective production is only 50% ?
Old 19th November 2011, 10:58   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Good news indeed for those who have booked swift or thinking of doing so.

Trying to get the maths here - if they can make 2100 units a day, assuming 20 working days a month, shouldn't they be able to make 40,000 units a month, instead of the 18-20K ?

Are there other reasons due to which the full production cannot be done, or some other bottle-necks due to which effective production is only 50% ?
Hey bro, the plant makes other models of Maruti too right? So it might be like, 18-20k of what the plant produces overall is going to be the new Swifts. While SX4, Dezire and other models will add up to take the total to 40k units monthly. I am not too sure, but this is what came to my mind after going through your post.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:06   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Hey bro, the plant makes other models of Maruti too right? So it might be like, 18-20k of what the plant produces overall is going to be the new Swifts. While SX4, Dezire and other models will add up to take the total to 40k units monthly. I am not too sure, but this is what came to my mind after going through your post.
The article says "18,000-20,000 Swift units a month". So he can't mean SX4 and other cars. Maybe the dzire is included in this, but looking at the sales thread it sells 5-7K per month, so even then the numbers don't add up
Old 19th November 2011, 19:15   #473
BHPian

I was inquiring a dealer about waiting period for swift diesel in Bangalore. He was saying 5-6 months. He was saying he will try to deliver even earlier than that, as the production is in full swing and other manufacturing unit will be fully functional from January 2012.
Old 19th November 2011, 20:04   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
I was inquiring a dealer about waiting period for swift diesel in Bangalore. He was saying 5-6 months. He was saying he will try to deliver even earlier than that, as the production is in full swing and other manufacturing unit will be fully functional from January 2012.
Which dealer was this, and what variant did you ask for. When i checked couple of weeks ago, waiting was 6 months for Vdi and 9 months for Zdi. That, along with news that govt may soon bring in additional tax for diesel vehicles, scared me away. As it is, Maruti has already hiked prices by 10K it seems.

Interesting signature - what did your wife say for it
Old 20th November 2011, 00:43   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
What make you to think so when all the customers are happy on the build quality of Swift. Any proofs.
Hungarian(European) version of New Swift uses different Steel type(with better Tensile strength) & thus confirming to Euro-Safety standards.
Due to latter, It have achieved 5-star rating at Euro-NCAP.
But story of Indian Swift is different, as;
-Firstly the Steel used is same as the previous Swift, even a rough inspection to a New Swift reveals this.
-Only its Construction type, pattern & design is changed. Infact its the best evolved part of the car.
-Crashworthiness details of Indian version are still Suspicious.

If you still don't believe me, then do ask yourself One question,
"Does European Swift is exactly same in Quality as the Indian version ?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
5 months even after going to be ramped up production in Jan2012, OMG.
What the MSIL is thinking, i can't understand.
First there were indefinite worker strikes, quality-sabotaging issues & now Waiting periods.
Though they're having bagful of bookings for New Swift, but what missing is the ethical way to Guide & handle that customers.

Anyways, Today i've been to local MSIL dealer & Surprisingly the SE there revealed that they're current delivering Feb-March orders(OMG, Feb orders delivery in Nov-Dec =Almost an year of waiting period).
As per him, the Max output of a production of New Swift from the single assemble line of a Manesar was destined to be 1800 units but even by now its production is 600 odd units.
IMHO, this is due to failed plan of Speeding the latter, as it resulted in inconsistency of the Production/Assembly process, leading to inconsistent product quality & workers' strikes.
Thereafter, second assembly line worth Rs.1700 crore is penned one again for Manesar plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
the plant makes other models of Maruti too right? So it might be like, 18-20k of what the plant produces overall is going to be the new Swifts. While SX4, Dezire and other models will add up to take the total to 40k units monthly.
IMHO, the Maximum current production of MSIL's Manesar plant is ~3 lakh units/year, so added production line is Jan2012 will double it up or by 1.5 times.
Initially it may be used to clear the backlog of pending orders of 2011 but later on if the New Swift retains that demand then it's used else the 2nd production line may be shared to churn out Ertiga MPV, New Dzire CS or New 800cc EON-rival.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:48   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hungarian(European) version of New Swift uses different Steel type(with better Tensile strength) & thus confirming to Euro-Safety standards.
Due to latter, It have achieved 5-star rating at Euro-NCAP.
But story of Indian Swift is different, as;
-Firstly the Steel used is same as the previous Swift, even a rough inspection to a New Swift reveals this.
-Crashworthiness details of Indian version are still Suspicious.

CRtorquefan, can you provide us with the source of this info ? May be an article you read regarding the different quality of steel being used in the euro Swift ?

One can't rule out the possibility of what you've mentioned happening, so it would help to know in full and better.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 20th November 2011 at 02:49. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 20th November 2011, 08:05   #477
BHPian

Quote:

No, Europian version cars build quality is a different story.
Some time back i read some were cars made for export from india are having better quality than cars made for here.(Tough i dont have that link or proof now)
Compare a made in india car with another car in same segment.
That would be a fare comparison.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:30   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Which dealer was this, and what variant did you ask for. When i checked couple of weeks ago, waiting was 6 months for Vdi and 9 months for Zdi. That, along with news that govt may soon bring in additional tax for diesel vehicles, scared me away. As it is, Maruti has already hiked prices by 10K it seems.

Interesting signature - what did your wife say for it
You are correct, I asked for VDI. For ZDI it is still 8 months +. I dare say to my wife about this signature .
Old 20th November 2011, 23:41   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No.

But, which car in the same segment is made to the same quality/features/engine specificatons standards as its european counterparts?

The way the market is structured is different in european/ Indian markets which force all manufacturers to adopt to the same. Except for the weak brake issue (Which is really bad from MSIL), the new swift is a brilliant package at-par/ better compared to the competition.
Quote:
5 months even after going to be ramped up production in Jan2012, OMG.
What the MSIL is thinking, i can't understand.
First there were indefinite worker strikes, quality-sabotaging issues & now Waiting periods.
Though they're having bagful of bookings for New Swift, but what missing is the ethical way to Guide & handle that customers.
Whats unethical? The waiting period?

Its not like MSIL is promising next day delivery and delaying it by 6 months. Dealers are also very clear about 8 month waiting period. If customers are still willing to wait the same period, whats unethical here?
Old 21st November 2011, 06:09   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But, which car in the same segment is made to the same quality/features/engine specificatons standards as its european counterparts?
For all I know Ford did with Boron steel for the new Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Except for the weak brake issue (Which is really bad from MSIL), the new swift is a brilliant package at-par/ better compared to the competition. \
Its akin to saying that car X is better than the competition but it doesnt stop when you want it to and where you want it to. Weak brakes in my opinion is a much serious issue when compared to slightly shoddy plastics or some loose fittings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks