Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 11:44   #1321
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Went to Peninsular Honda Trivandrum with my friend to inquire about the Amaze.

The waiting period for the Petrol version is 4 months. For the Diesel they said as long as we don't have a colour preference the car can be delivered within 1.5 months regardless of the trim/variant.

Last edited by quadbike : 25th July 2013 at 11:47.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:25   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
175/65 R14 tyres on 10-spoke wheels. OEM MRF ZVTVs are awful! Try to get another brand out of your dealer or better yet, upgrade to high quality 185/60 R14 rubber
Does upsizing void the warranty? The Amaze alongwith the EcoSport is on my radar.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:32   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Does upsizing void the warranty? The Amaze alongwith the EcoSport is on my radar.
A generic up-sizing advice is doled out in abundance on T-BHP reviews but it may not be useful in every case , Production Amaze comes with Goodyear 175/65 R14 and not MRF ZVTV.

Top speed is limited by ECU to 140 so I do not see any advantage in up-sizing
Up-sizing to 185/60 R14 would mean less cushion from road bumps more load on power steering and suspension and more fuel consumption.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 14:07   #1324
BANNED

@amit26; Almost all cars come with slightly skinnier tyres than the optimum. So a Plus One upsize is not a bad thing. I do it when I change tyres for the first time.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:19   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@amit26; Almost all cars come with slightly skinnier tyres than the optimum. So a Plus One upsize is not a bad thing. I do it when I change tyres for the first time.
Well what I meant was that Amaze is not a performance oriented car due to ECU limitations so conditions to utilize up-sizing advantages are rather limited.
With low GC and relatively stiff suspension it has I did not face any stability issues while cornering or at top speed.

In some vehicles up sizing may be bad idea actually for example on Safari initially people up sized to 255/65 R16 but these days no one is recommending that on Team-bhp due to road noise, heavy steering and muck on side panels.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:44   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Well what I meant was that Amaze is not a performance oriented car due to ECU limitations so conditions to utilize up-sizing advantages are rather limited.
With low GC and relatively stiff suspension it has I did not face any stability issues while cornering or at top speed.
On a recent mangalore drive in heavy rains , I was doing 60 kph and was off the throttle to slow down for a speedbreaker near Hassan. The car just aquaplaned and I had almost zero control. I could feel the ABS kicking in , but still there wasn't much I could do. Luckily there was no traffic ahead of me at 6 am in the morning.

First thing I usually do is upgrade the tires , but didnt do it here as I was told the ABS may not perform in an optimum way with different tire size !

I am still gonna change my tires to 185 mm in the coming weeks
Old 25th July 2013, 14:47   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Have always been getting 20Kpl + in city , today thought will stick to below 1500 rpm in top gear. With the awesome torque and the almost zero turbo lag , I never went below 4th gear. Yeah it wasn't rush hour traffic and got all signals green over 11 kms. Without AC and windows closed

Someone else on the highways , I am sure will get more than this.

I keep 35/31 psi (F/R).

Attachment 1115514
Well, Speedsatya, my jaw dropped when I looked at those numbers . Awesome, man! Enjoy! My ivtec continues giving around 11 kmpl, of course with short runs in moderate/heavy traffic with LOT of stop and go.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:55   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post

Well, Speedsatya, my jaw dropped when I looked at those numbers . Awesome, man! Enjoy! My ivtec continues giving around 11 kmpl, of course with short runs in moderate/heavy traffic with LOT of stop and go.
Driven 100 kms since this posting. The FE is now around 27 kpl. Have decided to not exceed 60 kph till the next refuel.
Old 25th July 2013, 15:20   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
On a recent mangalore drive in heavy rains , I was doing 60 kph and was off the throttle to slow down for a speedbreaker near Hassan. The car just aquaplaned and I had almost zero control. I could feel the ABS kicking in , but still there wasn't much I could do. Luckily there was no traffic ahead of me at 6 am in the morning.

First thing I usually do is upgrade the tires , but didnt do it here as I was told the ABS may not perform in an optimum way with different tire size !

I am still gonna change my tires to 185 mm in the coming weeks
Auto makers generally use the same ABS module for variants with different tire sizes. Mainly due to price and also as the ABS module is tuned to perform with a range of tire sizes and rubber compounds.

Still, please make sure to upgrade to a size that is same or near to the ones directly offered by Honda in the Amaze...

peace,
~kg
Old 27th July 2013, 10:42   #1330
BHPian

I have taken delivery of my Amaze Vmt I-Dtec Diesel on 25 July . Please note that unlike other cars in this price range there is no button to lock doors near power window buttons . You have to use the one near the door handle . I.e . manually flip the lever to lock and unlock all doors . Also no speed sensitive auto lock ! When you switch the car off even then you have to manually unlock all doors . Honda what were you thinking ?
Old 27th July 2013, 13:45   #1331

My car is 17 days old now, 1600 kms done, first servicing done yesterday. Very happy with the Honda staff ! I called up the Lalbaug number instead of the Bhandup one, and the lady on the call took my details and I got a call from the Bhandup SVC within 10 minutes. That was impressive by Indian standards.
A driver was there at my place by 9 AM next morning, but he told me that there is lots of water logging due to heavy rains so can I come the next day. That was sweet !

The only thing I didn't like was, he made me discover some small scratches here and there and said that they happen due to nails and it is normal, so don't worry about it.
I had also grazed my right RVM a little, and they did a small paint job on it without charging me a rupee.

I paid the driver Rs 100, and he even helped me load/unload my boot which had a lot of bags and stands. Is 100 ok ? Or was I supposed to tip more/less ?

Thanks !
Old 27th July 2013, 13:59   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I have taken delivery of my Amaze Vmt I-Dtec Diesel on 25 July . Please note that unlike other cars in this price range there is no button to lock doors near power window buttons . You have to use the one near the door handle . I.e . manually flip the lever to lock and unlock all doors . Also no speed sensitive auto lock ! When you switch the car off even then you have to manually unlock all doors . Honda what were you thinking ?

Well I have my reservations on the new breed of cars without manual override of central locking , In case of accidents or electrical failure there is no way out.
Till now I used to think that removing manual central locking is actually a cost reduction but may be it is other way round but in any case IMHO manual lock unlock of central locking is always a good idea.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 15:37   #1333
BHPian

Friends,
Good drivers like us - or at least that's what we'd like to believe ;-) - recognise the optimum speed/rpm levels for gear changes. We also tend to develop a feel to understand whether the engine is getting strained.

What I am curious about checking about is this: What are the 'ideal' speed/rpm levels for each gear change in the Amaze petrol as well as diesel? Of course, there would be an optimum level from a fuel efficiency perspective and then you could rev her hard when you want to do that my-car-is-faster-than-yours dash at the traffic signal.

Would like to understand this from a technical perspective. Thanks!!!
Old 29th July 2013, 17:11   #1334
BHPian

Yesterday I drove from Mumbai to Thane approx 80 kms round trip . Mostly drove with the eco light on . Very less traffic . 5 persons in car and ac always on . I have the diesel vmt model . The average in the mid showed 20 throughout .
Old 29th July 2013, 17:47   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Yesterday I drove from Mumbai to Thane approx 80 kms round trip . Mostly drove with the eco light on . Very less traffic . 5 persons in car and ac always on . I have the diesel vmt model . The average in the mid showed 20 throughout .
That's a good number. It should improve after the first service. Hopefully. Did you get a chance to check the top speed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks