Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2016, 19:17   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Friends, today while returning from office, when I reached the Khadki signal (on old NH4), cars were stopping for red light. I overtook some cars from right and when the signal turned green I gave the left indicator to move into my lane and move forward. When I was doing so, I saw a white Bolero in my left side ORVM, trying to squeeze in and prevent me from getting into my lane. Since he was way behind, I thought I could make it and he would allow me to do so. However instead of giving me way he pushed ahead and made contact with my car. Though we were at crawling speed, there was loud sound as if something got broken and fallen off . I literally missed my heart beat. I was watching in my IRVM and left ORVM. The driver of the Bolero stopped and got down to assess the damage to his car. I didn't bother to stop at all, since it would have led to huge jam, it being peak hour traffic. Seems the bull bar/ bumper guard of the Bolero had fallen off.

I had moved on and since there was no scope of stopping in the peak hour traffic, I decided to assess the damage to my car only once I got home and put the car in my parking slot. There were innumerable thoughts running through my mind. Whether there would be a big scratch or dent, if the bull bar got entangled in the left wheel, then would there be some damage to the alloy. I cursed myself at least hundred times, for not being patient and instigating the Bolero guy. Two aggressive cars result in disaster. If one is aggressive the other must relent. Since I had given the indicator signal I tried to get into my lane assuming that the Bolero guy would relent. However that was a big mistake, I should have relented and allowed him to get through.

All these thoughts were running through my mind, when I finally got down to assess the damage after reaching home. What a big relief. my alloy was intact, the rear bumper did not dislodge. There was only a black mark on the side, probably that of the rubber or black plastic moulding on the Bolero bull guard nudging against my bumper. Refer the encircled location in the picture below. Hats off to the robust built quality of the tank , it saved my day today and a lot of heartburn

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-nudge-rear-bumper.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 11:10   #152
Senior - BHPian

Today morning when I cleaned my Orange tank, I could not believe my eyes. There was absolutely no trace of the nudge that the Bolero bull guard had with my rear bumper. The black marks that you see in the above picture were actually the black rubber deposited on my bumper. I could easily wipe it off with my microfibre cloth. No scratches, paint peel off or any other damage whereas the Bolero's bull guard had fallen off. Long live Mahindras sturdy build quality.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20160126_104845.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 02:57   #153
BHPian

AutoIndian, apologies if these are repeat questions. I am very curious about how you are finding the vehicle in terms of (a) driving in the city- ease and comfort as compared to a sedan, (b) the NVH levels (c) the automatic transmission and its efficiency plus how much easier it makes driving in the city and last (d) Would you advise this to be the primary city vehicle for someone? When you do get time it would be great to hear your thoughts.
Old 27th January 2016, 11:43   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
(a) driving in the city- ease and comfort as compared to a sedan, (b) the NVH levels (c) the automatic transmission and its efficiency plus how much easier it makes driving in the city and last (d) Would you advise this to be the primary city vehicle for someone?
Do check my ownership thread. Have tried to address most of your questions http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t8-manual.html
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 11:44   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AutoIndian, apologies if these are repeat questions. I am very curious about how you are finding the vehicle in terms of (a) driving in the city- ease and comfort as compared to a sedan, (b) the NVH levels (c) the automatic transmission and its efficiency plus how much easier it makes driving in the city and last (d) Would you advise this to be the primary city vehicle for someone? When you do get time it would be great to hear your thoughts.
No worries even of these are repeat questions, I will try my best to answer them.

a) driving in the city- ease and comfort as compared to a sedan:

I have never owned a sedan in my life. My first car Indica was a hatchback (owned for 10.5 years, driven 1.51 lac kms), second car Innova, was an MPV or MUV (owned for 1 year, driven 18K kms) and now the third car is TUV3OO, a SUV. Have driven Etios for some time, but beyond that my experience of driving a sedan is very limited, hence cannot compare it with TUV. Irrespective of that let me tell you that TUV is pretty easy to drive in the city once you get used to its dimensions. The first time you hold the steering wheel of the TUV, the immediate thing to strike you is the raised bonnet and apparently the huge blind spots in front of the car especially on the front left side. However once you spend some time in the car you will get accostomed to its dimensions within no time. Some of the TUV owners have found the steering bit hard, but it all depends which car you were using earlier and comparisons against it. I find the steering perfect and spot on, I love hydraulic steerings after all. Both my earlier cars, Indica and the Innova had hydraulic PS and both were very good on long highway drives, gave good control of the car. The TUVs steering feels even better that of the Innova. If you always keep in mind that you are driving a high GC, SUV, don't throw it is corners, don't try to squeeze in narrow gaps, you can easily make a move from your sedan to TUV. The turning radius of the TUV is also quite tight. It turns pretty easily compared to the Innova or Scorpio. Since the bumper to bumper length is under 4 metres, parking the huge car in tight spots is also not that difficult. Can you imagine the TUV is shorter even than the Ertiga, leave aside sedans like Honda City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Manza, Etios etc

b) the NVH levels

The NVH levels are quite bearable for this 3 potter engine, the dual mass flywheel and the ample insulation on the firewall, padding under the hood do their job just well in controlling the NVH. Engine noise gets loud only above 2500 rpm (which corresponds to 100 kmph in 5th gear). 80-100 kmph is the sweet spot and other than the turbo whistle you won't be able to hear much noise. Once the windows are rolled up, there is very less road noise or outside noise. Only issue is you may hear an odd buzz from the doors.

c) the automatic transmission and its efficiency plus how much easier it makes driving in the city and last

I have driven the AMT only during my test drives so cannot really comment on the FE part. But rest assured it is a breeze to drive it in the city. Other AMT owners can shed more light on the FE part.

d) Would you advise this to be the primary city vehicle for someone?

My requirement was a car for 80% city use and 20% highway use. Infact the TUV is more suited for city driving amongst all UVs. Very good low end torque, higher seating position, shorter turning radius (compared to other UVs), shorter length etc, these TUV characteristics are a boon for city driving

I wanted a go-anywhere car, which could take rough, pot-holed roads with equal ease as highways. It had to be a rear-wheel drive, so that it could carry tonnes of loads and don't hesitate/ roll back, when I have to stop on inclines. Also wanted shorter car with tighter turning radius, so that I could easily slot it in my apartment parking. Good FE though on the wish list was never a priority. All these with an on-road price under 10 lacs for the top end variant was like a dream come true for me . Hence I took the jump knowing pretty well that the initial lot of cars will be prone to the niggles/ teething troubles and today I am pretty satisfied with my decision.
AutoIndian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 11:59   #156
BHPian

Brilliant, thanks AutoIndian.

procrj, taking a look at your thread right now.
C'estlavie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 12:19   #157
BHPian

Quote:
I fully concur with AutoIndian's Views (above),
I am using the TUV T8 MT as my primary City (Mumbai) vehicle. I have also made 2 long Drives in it (Mumbai/Goa 1500Km, Mumbai/Shahpur 250Km).

A vehicle having <4 meter length was one of my basic parameter before buying a new car.(The TUV is equal in length to Swift Dzire and just an inch small than VW Polo).

Parking is a big issue in Mumbai.I must say here, the warning after 50cms by the reverse assist system is a luxury in Mumbai, we need to go as close as 20 cms for parking between vehicles.You need to be extra careful while driving into small crowded lanes with street vendors sitting on both sides. (avoid them).The high sitting and bonnet tend to have a blind spot on the left side between the front corner and ORVM. The TUV can be easily manoeuvred into small spaces considering its visual size.

Last edited by Sirvoicar : 28th January 2016 at 12:31.
Sirvoicar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 13:34   #158
Senior - BHPian

The morning runs to office nowadays are usually without the AC (due to the pretty cold weather here in Pune). The return trips however I have to keep my AC ON (on ACC mode). After the recent tankful I have covered a distance of 167 kms and the DTE shows 853 kms. Now if I add up the two, it gives me a range of 1020 kms. Normally after every tankful I used to get a range of 900 to 950 kms, this is the first time I am getting a range of 1000+ kms Seems my Orange Tank is slowly but surely adapting to my driving style and there is definitely minor improvement in mileage. I won't be surprised if it crosses 15 kmpl on the next tankful.

Driving this car in a relaxed manner, making good use of the low end torque will keep the car and your pocket happy. There is no point in zipping this 1.6 tonner as if its tail was on fire.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 16:27   #159
Senior - BHPian

Its been more than a week and no update on this thread, seems to be a bit weird . There has been nothing extra-ordinary to share and the Orange Tank is doing its duty silently. Exactly on this day 3 months back (i.e. 7th Nov 2015) the Orange Tank was brought home. Didn't realize three months have already passed since the tank into my life. The odo is ticking very slowly, its just @ 3.8K now. Wish it had crossed 6K by now. Daily office runs are limited to 40 kms and there haven't been any long trips yet. Hoping that the Orange Tank gets to see the highways more often
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 16:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Exactly on this day 3 months back (i.e. 7th Nov 2015) the Orange Tank was brought home. Didn't realize three months have already passed since the tank into my life. The odo is ticking very slowly, its just @ 3.8K now. Wish it had crossed 6K by now.
Dear AutoIndian,

I know that feeling! I got my Jazz V CVT on 30 Oct 2015. I am not sure of the exact number now - but I have crossed 4000 km on 23 Jan 2016. Even I wish it had crossed 10,000 km by now!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 20:25   #161
Senior - BHPian

I decided to tank up today morning from the usual Shell bunk near KSB pump chowk. The Orange tank gulped 41.79 litres of diesel and it had run 589 kms since last tankful, giving a mileage of 14.09 kmpl. All the running was within city, mostly home-office-home runs. During the morning trips from home to office most of the times I didn't use the AC due to cold weather. For the return trips the AC was ON (ACC mode).

Since the first free service car is returning 14+ kmpl consistently. The last three tankfuls have averaged @ 14.23 kmpl. I think that is pretty decent for the 1.6 tonner.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 19:51   #162
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while driving to office crossed the 4K mark on the odo. Captured that moment and sharing here.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-4k-odo1.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-4k-odo2.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 21:28   #163
Senior - BHPian

Today morning went to Mahindra's Kundan Motors workshop in Chinchwad. Called the SA in the morning and asked him if I can come for the right door buzzing noise resolution. He said yes, hence came to the workshop promptly. Took a test drive with him again. He could make out that the minor noise is coming. After 2-3 kms he asked his door trim expert to take another test drive. He drove the car on all kinds of roads, but somehow the noise could not be reproduced. He then took the car to a bridge under construction site, where there were huge boulders and rubble. There was little noise. I then took the RHS window glass down by 2-3 inches and now after hitting a rough patch there was prominent "krrr-krrrr-krrr" noise. The tester asked me to record that sound on my mobile, which I immediately did. Conclusion was that the RHS power window needs to be replaced. I was however not able to reproduce the buzzing sound, which would disappear on pressing the door trim. However the expert said that once the trim is opened they would add foaming. I hoped that both the noises should get addressed.I tried attaching the audio recording to this message, but the seems the GPP format is not allowed.

Unfortunately when the SA checked with stores person, he told me that the RHS power window is not in stock and I will have to come on Thursday. I asked him if at least the foaming can be done. He said that foaming will be done only when the door trim is opened for RHS power window replacement.

While I was about to leave, once technician asked my SA if the ICU reflush on my car was done as this is another red recall from Mahindra for TUV. When asked what was this about, the SA mentioned that this was needed for the immobilizer. Since it was not done he told me that a job card will have to be opened and it will take 15-20 mins for the job. I gave them the go ahead. The technician connected the device to the port. There were no error codes for any of the modules. Job was done in 30 minutes. I asked the SA if the car could be washed. He mentioned that I would be charged Rs 400/- for car wash. Car washes are complimentary for the free services only and for any such recalls or warranty issues washing can be availed by paying extra charges for washing (not good Mahindra )

Device connected to the port

In the afternoon went to Shree Ashtavinayak enterprises, Rasta Peth, Pune to place the order for seat covers. Have finalized the lavish leather material (black and orange combo). Also checked the SuperSport (Carbon) roof carrier from M-Tek, which fellow BHPIan Sandeep has fitted on his TUV. He said this model is not available for the TUV yet. Will take another couple of weeks to come in market. Purchased some stuff from there, details in pictures below.

Black and burnt Orange colour combo
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-black-burnt-orange-colour-combo.jpg

Design DS129 chosen from the catalogue. In place of beige the orange color will come
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-design-ds129-chosen-catalogue.jpg

MK-2238 SuperSport Carbon roof carrier from M-TEK
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-mk2238-supersport-carbon-roof-carrie-mtek.jpg

Door Protector (preferred black over chrome)
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-door-protector-preferred-black-over-chrome.jpg

LDNIO make Car charger 3.4A Support Fast Charging
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-ldnio-car-charger-3.4a-support-fast-charging.jpg

Jopasu Micro fibre Cloth - set of three
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-jopasu-microfibre-cloth-set-three.jpg

Box packing of Jopasu Spray Wax
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-box-packing-jopasu-spray-wax.jpg

Jopasu Spray Wax Dispenser with free micro fibre cloth worth Rs 199
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-jopasu-spray-wax-dispenser-free-micro-fibre-cloth-worth-rs-199.jpg

Pricing break-up
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-pricing-breakup.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 12:16   #164
Senior - BHPian

Friends today morning I washed the car and then tried the Jopasu spray wax on slightly wet surface as per the instructions. The spray has a sweet smell and after spraying it becomes thick wax like. The first wipe with microfibre cloth makes the paint look dull. Then I had to wipe it clean with another dry microfibre cloth. The more you wipe the shinnear the surface appears. It brings back the gloss to the paint, almost showroom like condition. I did the bonnet first and the results were stunning. Look at the pictures below to believe yourself. I would strongly recommend this product to everyone who want to keep their car in showroom condition.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20160221_090649.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20160221_090712.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:31   #165
Senior - BHPian

An update about my seat covers. Yesterday I got a call from the seat cover manufacturer factory. He informed me that the seat covers for my TUV are ready as per the commitment and when these can be fitted. I told him that workdays won't be possible and he can come over to my home during the coming weekend.

Hoping the color combination that I have chosen turns out to be good and the fitment is decent because the installation of the covers would make or break the aesthetics of the interior ambiance, fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks