Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 00:15   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Regarding PDI, I'm trying to compile what all I will do:

Basically, just peel your eyes and ears, and be very attentive. A little bit of distraction can cost you dearly in the long run.

Regards,
Shashi
Now this is 1 post which should be added in out PDI checklist right away. Such detailed guidelines! Only Leoshashi can do this

And needless to say, a brilliant review & thread. I have been following from day 1 but never got around to replying
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 10:41   #197
BHPian

I wasn't even close to this comprehensive PDI guide. Two things favored to my luck. My vehicle was ordered to deliver as they did not have stock, and I was in constant touch with my RM to track movement of my vehicle to ensure I pick up the vehicle as soon as it arrives. Two white Zeta XL6 was in transit one in train and the other one was dispatched later by road. The RM had given me a word that he will deliver the car on my chosen date. Initially the date was randomly chosen but also timed in away I could complete the run-in before my long run to my home town which which was 2k kms from BLR.

The train got diverted and my apprehension grew if it will make it on time, but to my surprise both made it on the same day to BLR and I was allotted the one arrived by truck. (But later I learned that allotment happens at MSIL when the order is placed, so probably mine was shipped in the truck)

From the moment I started following this thread and came to know the various PDI checks that Sashi did I was like; "Oh Man, I wont have this luxury to reject cars based on headlight make". This was my second purchase of Maruti and third in the family. I recall I had the exact delivery experience with My Ritz Breeze Blue, it was ordered to deliver. So I kind of knew apart from transit damage there is little to go wrong in the process.

My heart skipped a beat the day I went for PDI. At first look it was clean and I could make out they gave her a quick wash. After doing a quick glance on the exterior I asked the RM to pop the hood. My eyes went straight to the headlights assembly and there was a grin on my face (Note: the PIC is not from PDI day, I had taken later)

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-headlight-assembly.jpg

The car had blue marks all over which were for QC inspection for panel gaps.
The next thing I checked was VIN, and no surprises here it was an August build. I did not find any unusual marks or touch ups, but I did miss one which I noticed only after 3k kms, there was a minute touch up on the left side ORVM, I found it out only while cleaning the car after the long haul. Tried taking a PIC but the surface is so glossy that the reflection smudges it and its hard to make out, probably I missed it because of it. One really needs a hawks eye to spot every possible defect.

The ODO had only 5 or 7km on it, which I believe was for transit and factory QC.

Did all possible visible inspection, including tools, spare tire, underneath the car, engine compartment etc.

After feeling satisfied left for home.

A parting pic of my Ritz, have many fond memories that I will cherish forever. There is always a lump in your throat when you let go something you cared and loved for long. 6 years 49k kms and unlimited memories.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20200830_110319.jpg

A PIC from PDI day welcoming "Snow White" to family!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20200907_114330.jpg

And finally a PIC as testimony to drive a 8 day old car to home without a hitch.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20200920_145959.jpg

Last but not least, thanks to Sashi for his selfless guidance about the car and his mods and allowing me his real estate on Team BHP to share my experiences, before I pen a thread for my self!

Cheers!

Last edited by MadTiger : 9th October 2020 at 10:51. Reason: Typo
MadTiger is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:28   #198
BHPian

Sashi I have a weird request, is it possible to enable auto mirror folding on zeta variant by programing the ECU? Mine is zeta so it does not come with keysync (Auto mirror folding and unfolding on vehicle lock - unlock)

I am aware there are 3rd party relay available in the market which we can accomplish the task, but I have OCD and just can't connect the power lead and lock - unlock lead to the existing wiring harnesses by splicing wires.

Did not find such articles by googling.

Thanks in advance!
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 13:15   #199
BHPian

I just have one word on your ownership thread Shashi. Incredible! This is a poor substitute to the kind of admiration i feel at your superb detailing and the effort spent in penning your thoughts and activities down. You have just turned me into a great fan of the XL6, i must admit i was quite skeptical when the vehicle came out and thought that this is just another jazzed up Ertiga on skinny legs. It is now, i feel that this is probably even more Practical.

As a First Generation petrol Ertiga owner, i know the practicality aspect of the car and with a small kid it becomes easier packing in almost entire Kid and family stuff in the boot of the car. I somehow always felt that my Generation of Ertiga was somewhat better built than the newer generation and just on checking the panels of the new Ertiga and its doors i felt them to be lighter, notwithstanding the entire Heartect platform saga and the subsequent 3 star rating with a borderline unstable bodyshell. However when i checked the XL6 last year, i have to concur with your assessment that i found the panels to be stronger or maybe i felt like that.

One interesting thing you pointed out towards your Modification regarding the engine guard is the thickness and strength of the front crossmember. If the Crossmember is made of such a metal which withstands drilling, it points out towards a beefed up platform. If this is indeed the case then the XL6 might actually be a little safer than the Ertiga, though this is just a guess.
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:16   #200
BHPian

Quote:

What's that weird thing?: Back in 2018, I was desperately looking for Butyl. On Indiamart, I contacted a seller. It wasn't butyl but it was something like a roll of dense chewing gum type material. It isn't sticky as such, but is sufficiently dense and flexible. Something which when applied over a loose clip, will disintegrate on its own and fill the crevices, which otherwise rattle. Unfortunately I have lost seller's number or bank account details. I have some unused rolls lying somewhere and will try to get contact details from there. Worst case- I'll help all needy BHPians with the stuff. So relax.
Alternatively you can also use Bostik Blu-Tack. Available online or in stationery stores in your neighborhood.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 15:53   #201
BHPian

At the outset, this is one heck of a thread! Hearty congratulations on your purchase and admire your passion! Am in the journey of a purchase. Your thread and given me lots of positivity and confidence on my purchase. Looking for a zeta version, manual. Am moving up from a ciaz AT.
visweshkalambur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:47   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Sashi I have a weird request, is it possible to enable auto mirror folding on zeta variant by programing the ECU? Mine is zeta so it does not come with keysync (Auto mirror folding and unfolding on vehicle lock - unlock)
No, I believe those things are taken care by BCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
I just have one word on your ownership thread Shashi. Incredible!
Thanks, the car is indeed lovable. Not something which will wow you at first look, but surely makes you fall in love within months of owning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Alternatively you can also use Bostik Blu-Tack. Available online or in stationery stores in your neighborhood.
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
At the outset, this is one heck of a thread! Hearty congratulations on your purchase and admire your passion! Am in the journey of a purchase. Your thread and given me lots of positivity and confidence on my purchase. Looking for a zeta version, manual. Am moving up from a ciaz AT.
Many congratulations. You are going to love the comfort.

Signing off with some recent clicks, in Patratu valley and then touchless wash:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201012_211647.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201008_165239.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201008_165307.jpg

Since I have ceramic coated the car, cleaning it is a breeze. No touch is needed at all during washing or drying:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201008_175215.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201008_175235.jpg
Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:26   #203
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, the car is indeed lovable. Not something which will wow you at first look, but surely makes you fall in love within months of owning it.

Since I have ceramic coated the car, cleaning it is a breeze. No touch is needed at all during washing or drying:

Regards,
Shashi
Hey Sashi could you please enlighten us on the ceramic procedure, if this can be self procured and done as DYI?
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:29   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Hey Sashi could you please enlighten us on the ceramic procedure, if this can be self procured and done as DYI?
Sure, give me a couple of days and I intend to make a proper post on it.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 22:33   #205
BHPian

Had the oppurtunity to drive Leoshashi's XL6 for a super short drive. And boy....what a machine it is. Stupid silent engine. Couldn't make out it was idling except by looking at the tacho. Off the line, torque is more than sufficient, felt like can potter around in town with erase. Mid range is quite healthy I felt based on the way the car picks up momentum without drama. And the K15B engine races to the redline very very fast. In all I'm impressed with the engine.

The ride is equally matured. No jiggling, no wallowy feeling at all. Handling I cannot comment since that needs to be checked at speeds, but at city speeds, the car does feel light enough.

The car is stupid silent and refined and cut off from the outside world. Hard to believe this kind of refinement from a Maruti considering how Maruti's build quality and lack of noise cut off from outside world is beaten about.

Lastly, the space. Man...this is a relatively compact car with healthy amount of space on offer including some amount of decent boot space considering the three rows of seat. The boot had an assortment of tools that are carried by Shashi in every car which includes some sockets, multimeter and such stuff. Thanks to those things, I got a steering swap done for my car on the spot at the city outskirts where we met

Conclusion, although not exactly as neutral as an Ertiga or a Ciaz, this car is certainly a great car from the house of MSIL and I'm happy to see the quality right up there. Maybe I'll be quantified as a Maruti Fanboy but based on my super limited experience with modern cars, this one certainly seems like a very good buy if comfort is a big priority.

Regards,
Subhra

P.S.- Some pics for viewer's enjoyment.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201011_173743.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201011_173155.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201011_175247.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201011_172955.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20201012_071259.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201011_171933.jpg
tacho9000 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 07:09   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Had the oppurtunity to drive Leoshashi's XL6 for a super short drive.
It was indeed a pleasure meeting you after a hectic day. Of all the places, had never imagined that we'd meet on the outskirts of Varanasi like this.

Quote:
The boot had an assortment of tools that are carried by Shashi in every car which includes some sockets, multimeter and such stuff.
Yes, I always carry some essential tools and supplies, which include entire socket set, some pliers, screwdrivers, WD40 or equivalent spray, Anabond, JB weld, duct tape, Zip ties etc. Since I mostly travel alone, and at night or early morning, presence of these things give me the much needed peace of mind.

The under-boot storage of the XL6 neatly takes all such supplies. I keep all the tools in a large bag:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200912wa0015.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200912wa0016.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 20:54   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgraded to PM 2.5 Cabin AC Filter: While stock filter is good, one cannot be too safe in these polluted times. Have experienced these in a friend's Ciaz and they are very effective. Cabin and vents remain absolutely clean, always. Downside-Cleaning/replacement will be too frequent.

Part numbers of PM 2.5 Filters for other cars:

990J0M56RS0-010: 3rd Gen Swift & Dzire, Baleno, XL6 & 2nd Gen Ertiga
990J0M66RS0-010: Ignis
990J0M82PS0-010: Ciaz, S Cross, Brezza

Packaging and Price:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201036.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201053.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201111.jpg
Side by side with the standard filter:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201135.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201208.jpg

Weight of Standard Filter:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201236.jpg

Weight of PM 2.5 Filter:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201250.jpg

Signing off with two recent clicks:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201019.jpg

Next to the hot favorite in SUV segment these days:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201017_201008.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:14   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Shashi, what is the unit that is placed on top of the speedometer console?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:36   #209
BHPian

Wonderful reading your account LeoShashi. Was planning to trade in my 2011 wagonr cng for an ertiga. This surely changed my mind. Maybe I wouldn't be able to do all those DIY mods but the car itself seems to be wonderful.
HONESTabdul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 19:52   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

TPMS: After a narrow escape on my 800, I immediately started looking for a similar solution for my XL6. Chief contenders were:

1. Sensairy:

Pros:
-Made in India(Claimed), so no issue of spares
-Tried and tested, Reliable

Cons:
-No dedicated wireless display. They do have HUD option but I'm not a big fan of wires.

Cost-Rs. 6,000

2. MGA TPMS, Made by Schrader

Pros:
-Enough service support
-Tried and tested, have been using in my 800

Cons:
-Cost, costs Rs. 12,990 for set with 5 sensors
-Prehistoric display. This was my major grouse.

Cost: Rs. 12,990

3. 70Mai TPMS

Pros:
-External Sensor. Can be installed easily.

Cons:
-Made in China, so supply is already restricted. Its price has increased from Rs. 4,900 to Rs. 5,400 already.
-No support if anything goes wrong.

While browsing, I came across Tyremate branded TPMS with very high ratings. Since it was an unknown brand, plus the seller wasn't Prime, it never came on my radar. The high ratings made me curious. Seller was Manatec. They are a big name in Garage equipments. Dug deeper, and it was indeed made and marketed by Manatec under Tyremate brand name. I contacted Mr. Prithwi( 73589 18444) and he cleared all my doubts regarding availability of child parts. I placed an order on Amazon, and it was promptly shipped the next day by DTDC air. Parcel is shipped from their facility in Pondicherry. Received the package in flat 3 days.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-capture.jpg

Installation etc are all very easy. But the sensors are heavy and well built. Build quality is top notch, even of the main unit. Downside is, during balancing your wheels take a lot of weight. Michelins don't have any high or low spot indicator, so it was impossible to try to cancel the weights out.

Unboxing video:

Installation of Sensor:

Some pics:

The outer package:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185510.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185531.jpg
Display unit, before configuring. You need to charge this before relying on solar power entirely:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185237.jpg

Solar Panel:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185253.jpg

The colors bleed a lot when viewed from sides. Not an issue, since the display can be rotated on its pivot 360 degrees.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185315.jpg

Sensors, very well built:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185339.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185403.jpg

Total contents of the box:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185417.jpg

They want me to put these stickers on the rims, but I skipped them. It's like inviting a flying arrow.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185431.jpg

Went to my trusted place post lunch, when they were idle:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185547.jpg

One guy was entrusted to take out all small stones inside the grooves:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185604.jpg

Took lots of weights. Installation cost me Rs. 1400 including balancing.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185622.jpg

Had taken my torque wrench again!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185635.jpg

First view from Driver's seat:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185715.jpg

Charges even during overcast or rainy days:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185752.jpg

View during day, you also get an option for increased brightness:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185823.jpg

View at dusk:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185906.jpg

The valve caps have TPMS logo:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201020_185735.jpg

Very happy with the purchase!

Link to product: Manatec TPMS

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th October 2020 at 20:07. Reason: Adding link to product
Leoshashi is offline   (76) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks