Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 14:17   #46
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review

Thank you csnanjappa and congratulations on your ride! The Indium Grey looks smashing and I wish you happy mile-munching.
Looking forward to your experiences and opinions about the T-roc!
Old 21st October 2020, 16:17   #47
BHPian

Great review Seahawk. First thing I would like to say is that all the pictures looks excellent.

This car will go down well as the Yeti after few years and will have a separate fan base.

For those who keeps the car for around 10 years, cars like T-Roc and Karoq would be great. Like someone said, Great things come in small packages.

Congrats again and wish you a million miles!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 15:18   #48
VRJ
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed review Seahawk!

I’m in the market for an automatic crossover/SUV with a budget around of 20-25L. The T-roc is obviously on the list and my local dealer still has stock. There are no other options TBH. Karoq is out of budget, the Skoda Vision IN is 8-10 months away, not a fan of the harrier looks, don’t like the Korean twins and the Thar test drive ended up being a disappointment. T-roc seems like the only car that ticks all the boxes for me personally.

Could you please answer a couple of queries that I have:

1. How is the air conditioning? I ask this because as this is a direct import from Europe and their AC demand is very much different than what we need here in India. Three of my friends drive VW’s (1 polo and 2 Vento’s) and all of them complain about the AC not being enough during summers and when parked outside. When I drive along in their car, what I noticed is when we increase the fan speed, there’s more sound and less AC that’s hitting you. I park my car outside my office, under the sun. So, how’s the AC on the T-roc?

2. We all know the horror stories of the DQ200 in the initial period. Later on the complaints reduced after moving from one type of oil to another (can’t remember if it’s synthetic to normal or vice versa). What’s the case with the T-roc? Any idea what transmission oil does it come out of the showroom with?

Thank you for your time!

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 26th October 2020 at 15:20.
VRJ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Thank you for the detailed review Seahawk!

I’m in the market for an automatic crossover/SUV with a budget around of 20-25L. The T-roc is obviously on the list and my local dealer still has stock. There are no other options TBH. Karoq is out of budget, the Skoda Vision IN is 8-10 months away, not a fan of the harrier looks, don’t like the Korean twins and the Thar test drive ended up being a disappointment. T-roc seems like the only car that ticks all the boxes for me personally.

Could you please answer a couple of queries that I have:

Thank you for your time!

Cheers!
Thank you VRJ! If the driving experience is your first priority, I genuinely feel the T-Roc is the best pick of the pack. There's a lot of tech included straight from Europe.

1. The air conditioning does a great job of cooling the cabin. The dual-zone climate control comes in handy here, and the rate of cooling down the cabin is pretty fast. Higher fan speeds are not necessarily required if lower temperatures are set (20-24 degrees). The rear A/C vents also have a good throw too so rear passengers shouldn't face any issues. The panoramic sunroof is also tinted so that helps to filter some of the sunlight out when parked outside. There is a cabin particulate filter that can be activated in the infotainment system that works alongside the climate control. Driving/Parking outside in Chennai, we turn on the A/C every time and have never faced any objections. The cabin gets cooled down in a matter of minutes.

2. I had the same concern when purchasing this vehicle. From what I read, the DQ200 woes seem to be over. With constant refinements over the years, Volkswagen has seemingly resolved this issue. From my initial ownership experience, the DSG seamlessly transitions from gear to gear at city and highway speeds. It is only on bad roads at lower speeds the jitteriness can be felt. I have experienced the gearbox shift from D2 to D1 on a few occasions with higher revs, but it wasn't too much of a jolt and the DSG shifts back once you gain a little speed. Bhp'ians of the T-roc forum suggest shifting into Sport mode during these conditions, and that seems to be solving the occasional issue. I'm not entirely sure what oil it comes with from the factory, I assume it's synthetic only. Will give an update on that after the first service.

As of today, we've driven around 760kms with no issues.
Feel free to ask further questions/addtional information.
Seahawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 00:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Thank you VRJ! If the driving experience is your first priority, I genuinely feel the T-Roc is the best pick of the pack. There's a lot of tech included straight from Europe.

2. I had the same concern when purchasing this vehicle. From what I read, the DQ200 woes seem to be over. With constant refinements over the years, Volkswagen has seemingly resolved this issue. From my initial ownership experience, the DSG seamlessly transitions from gear to gear at city and highway speeds. It is only on bad roads at lower speeds the jitteriness can be felt. I have experienced the gearbox shift from D2 to D1 on a few occasions with higher revs, but it wasn't too much of a jolt and the DSG shifts back once you gain a little speed. Bhp'ians of the T-roc forum suggest shifting into Sport mode during these conditions, and that seems to be solving the occasional issue. I'm not entirely sure what oil it comes with from the factory, I assume it's synthetic only. Will give an update on that after the first service.

This has been a great thread to read! I feel you should not worry your gearbox just as yet. The shifts will definitely get more smoother as the gearbox learns your driving style and optimises its shift points. Expect a few rough shifts for the first 1000kms or so. D3-D2 jitteriness is fairly characteristic on the DQ200 and when I drove a Polo 2018 23000km drive GT TSI a few weeks back, I noticed the particular D3-D2 jerk there too, but its nothing to worry about.

T-Roc has a lot of Retrofit Potential just like any other Volkswagen and I'm sure eventually you will end up upgrading the Headunit to another variant which has Navigation and then you will be able to relay that on the Virtual Cockpit as well. The brain of the Headunit is actually in the glovebox and this is unknown to many. Both of these, the Headunit and the Glovebox Console need to be replaced with a newer variant to enable Navigation on this vehicle. I know for a fact that the T-Roc has a Lane Assist Camera, but does the Auto-Dimming IRVM also have a separate separate camera for the Light Assist (Automatic Dipping of the Highbeam)? Would be great if you could click a photo. The T-Roc has the Radar built in behind the Front Emblem, and so I'm sure it won't be too hard to eventually retrofit Adaptive Cruise Control in your car. I'm currently working on installing it on my 2019 Tiguan, which did not even come with a Radar.
Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review-unnamed5.jpg
If my hunch is correct, all you would need is a new Steering Wheel which has Adaptive Cruise Control Buttons on the left side. You could also take this opportunity to retrofit an even more premium flat-bottom steering wheel eventually.
Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review-trocinterior.jpg
I also have an extra pair of Aluminium DSG Pedal caps and if you are keep, I am happy to offer those to you, provided they will fit the pedals on the T-Roc. The dealership offers the original pedal cap north of Rs. 6000, and frankly I don't think it is worth that much. Happy motoring!
fluidicjoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 08:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:

I have experienced the gearbox shift from D2 to D1 on a few occasions with higher revs, but it wasn't too much of a jolt and the DSG shifts back once you gain a little speed. Bhp'ians of the T-roc forum suggest shifting into Sport mode during these conditions, and that seems to be solving the occasional issue. I'm not entirely sure what oil it comes with from the factory, I assume it's synthetic only. Will give an update on that after the first service.

Sorry I forgot to add to my previous reply, regarding the sudden boost in RPM. I noticed it during my city test drive of the Karoq and it seemed to be similar to the Kangaroo Effect which has been much spoken about regarding the 1.5 TSI albeit on international forums. Maybe you experienced it too?
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 12:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
This has been a great thread to read! I feel you should not worry your gearbox just as yet.

T-Roc has a lot of Retrofit Potential just like any other Volkswagen
I also have an extra pair of Aluminium DSG Pedal caps and if you are keep, I am happy to offer those to you, provided they will fit the pedals on the T-Roc. The dealership offers the original pedal cap north of Rs. 6000, and frankly I don't think it is worth that much. Happy motoring!
Thank you fluidicjoy! Volkswagens do indeed have tons of retrofit potential, will probably look into that more next year. As of today I'm looking to enable some of the features that are already present but disabled using the OBD eleven device. Perhaps you can enable some of these features in your Tiguan too?

Here are the features that can be unlocked:-
-A small honk when locking and unlocking. One honk for lock and two honks for unlock.
-Scandanavian DRL's (I'm a little unsure about this functionality)
-Backround colours for the virtual cockpit as well as the touchscreen display. The standard colour is dark blue and that can't be changed, but after plugging in the OBD11, there are 30 different colour options to choose from and a new setting is added under Lighting
-A small dotted animation in the virtual cockpit when changing through menus.
-The style virtual cockpit dials. Note that this can be changed only once, and if you wish to change it back, the OBD11 should be plugged in.
-Holding the unlock button down to open all the 4 windows as well as the panoramic sunroof and vice-versa.
-The active high-beam assist can infact be activated since the CBU version already has a camera sensor in the windshield (that's the minimum requirement).
-Locking/Unlocking the T-Roc with the engine running.
-Traffic sign assist can be enabled but it might display an error when no sign is detected. Not sure if I would enable this particular feature.
-The car alarm can be activated.
-Leaving home:-When the unlock button on the keyfob is pressed, the headlights turn on for 30 seconds.
-Coming home:-This is basically the follow-me-home function. After parking the car and switching it off, the headlamps switch on for 30 seconds after the driver's side door is opened.
-Throttle sensitivity can be adjusted though I wouldn't recommend it.
-Heated seat memory:- If you turn off the car with the heated seats on, the next time you get in and start it, the heated seats will turn on automatically.
-When the climate control is in auto mode, for some reason it doesn't display the fan speed. This can also be changed to display it.
-The seatbelt chime can be deactivated

All these features can automatically be adjusted with a touch of a button in the app. However, it does require some in-app purchases if you're looking to make a lot of changes.

Thank you for your offer, the aluminum DSG pedals are indeed overpriced. I'm a little unsure if the extra pair of pedals that you have would fit the pedals of the T-Roc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Sorry I forgot to add to my previous reply, regarding the sudden boost in RPM. I noticed it during my city test drive of the Karoq and it seemed to be similar to the Kangaroo Effect which has been much spoken about regarding the 1.5 TSI albeit on international forums. Maybe you experienced it too?
I've experienced this effect only occasionally. But the gearbox upshifts once you gain a little speed. This happens on bad roads/huge speed breakers 95% of the time.
Seahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 09:08   #53
BHPian

Congrats Seahawk on the T-Roc! Wonderful write up and attention to detail. Love the colour!

Having driven a Polo TSI for 5 years (50k kms) the reliability of the gearbox seems to be fine as of now. The jerkiness of D3 to D2 can be managed with a software update that smoothens this out. Bumper to bumper, sometime better to shift to manual 1 or 2 to stop the consistent up shift / downshift jerkiness.

One unlock that I had done was change the lane changing indicator for 3 flashes to 5 flashes. Seems to be more prudent in India.

How is the ground clearance? Any bottoming out on high speed breakers? Also, rear seat airiness? Is the sloping roof claustrophobic for older passengers?

Wishing you many years of fuss-free ownership!
prateekswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 08:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Congrats Seahawk on the T-Roc! Wonderful write up and attention to detail. Love the colour!

One unlock that I had done was change the lane changing indicator for 3 flashes to 5 flashes. Seems to be more prudent in India.

How is the ground clearance? Any bottoming out on high speed breakers? Also, rear seat airiness? Is the sloping roof claustrophobic for older passengers?

Wishing you many years of fuss-free ownership!
Thank you prateekswarup! I'm having a little trouble sourcing my OBD eleven device, if you could let me know where you got it or perhaps send a link that would be much appreciated.
Ground clearance is perfect for our roads. I've gone over some pretty big bumps and the T-roc cleared them with ease. Coming to the rear seats it's best suited for two, taller passengers will find their heads brushing against the roof. The inclusion of the panoramic sunroof enhances the overall roominess and the lighter upholstery helps too.
Seahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you prateekswarup! I'm having a little trouble sourcing my OBD eleven device, if you could let me know where you got it or perhaps send a link that would be much appreciated.
I got the codes changed in the VW workshop itself. The Noida SA was a little clueless, but with a little nudging and online how-tos he was able to get a technician to make the changes.
prateekswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 10:58   #56
BHPian

Great Review
I booked my yellow T-Roc on 31/08/2020 and got it on 21/09/2020. I have few doubts.

a) Voice Activation : Dealer is not able to activate it as some training is required to activate this feature. Code is available with dealer. Has anyone used this feature ??

b) Are we eligible for free Data Plug ??

c) Dealer could not remove sticker from Hockey Stick (near boot). I tried removing it by rubbing but all in vain. Please suggest how it can be removed.

d) Bridgestone tyre quality is not good. I can see many cracks building up in all four tyres. I have raised this issue to dealer. I want them to be replaced.

e) Key battery got low within 1.5 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review-a8247a5e7ed2440692088d9e601bcc60.jpeg  

Old 15th November 2020, 17:31   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
Great Review
I booked my yellow T-Roc on 31/08/2020 and got it on 21/09/2020. I have few doubts.

a) Voice Activation : Dealer is not able to activate it as some training is required to activate this feature. Code is available with dealer. Has anyone used this feature ??

b) Are we eligible for free Data Plug ??

c) Dealer could not remove sticker from Hockey Stick (near boot). I tried removing it by rubbing but all in vain. Please suggest how it can be removed.

d) Bridgestone tyre quality is not good. I can see many cracks building up in all four tyres. I have raised this issue to dealer. I want them to be replaced.

e) Key battery got low within 1.5 months.
I have the same head-unit which ships with your T-Roc on my Tiguan. The Voice Command Activation key was provided to me as a gift on delivery. Your dealership perhaps has not been acquainted with this Activation Disc, but it needs to be activated using Online Coding by the Dealership.
Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review-img_20201105_151752.jpg
I frankly do not find it of much use to me since in my experience it has been a HIT or MISS. But I like how it can control the AUDIO Source which Google Assistant or Siri cannot. But if I had to pay for it, I would probably not pay for having the same feature activated.
Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review-img_20201105_151754.jpg
The KESSY (Keyless Entry Start Stop) Keyfob being on LOW Battery is something I've noticed as well, but even a year and half later, the key works just as expected. This is something I would probably have checked during the next service.
fluidicjoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:58   #58
BHPian

Voice control is standard feature in T-Toc so no need to pay anything.

I got a message “ Please replace key battery” in digital cockpit when car is turned on and same message is also displayed in vehicle status. As of now I have started using 2nd key and message is gone. But car key battery should not be low within 1.5 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review-1a6d967cee74499d96957d90bf30d901.jpeg  

Old 16th November 2020, 11:22   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Driving Dynamics & Assist Systems: -
I am adding a few points to this wonderful write-up.

Quote:
For lane assist, a yellow icon appears on the display when activated and remains on standby mode. When the vehicle senses clear lane markings on the road, the yellow icon turns green and that means the assist system is ready to take over.
Lane Assist is active at speeds above around 60/65 km/h when road lane marking can be identified. The indicator lamp lights up green.

Quote:
When the system is working, you can momentarily take your hands off the steering wheel and notice minor steering corrections the vehicle makes to stay inside the lane.
If the system does not detect any steering input (approx 15 seconds), it prompts the driver to take over active steering by way of acoustic warnings and a display on the instrument cluster.

Quote:
Next the frontal collision warning, a system that's on by default everytime you start the vehicle. According to online sources and the owner's manual, this system acts as a third eye and will give a warning if it detects an imminent collision, if ignored, the system steps in and brakes automatically.
Front Assist can intervene when approaching a detected object with which the vehicle will collide if the current speed is maintained and there is no driver intervention. An advance warning is given, followed by an urgent warning and then automatic braking. Front assist behavior is speed-dependent.
Volkswagen T-Roc : Ownership Review-front-assist-speed-limits.png

Quote:
* The voice assistant button on the infotainment as well as the steering doesn’t work. When pressed it says it needs to be activated by the dealer.
It is a standard feature in our car which needs to be activated by the dealer.

Quote:
* It's equipped with leaving/coming home feature.
The “Coming home” function is switched on manually. In contrast, the “Leaving home” function is controlled automatically by a rain/light sensor.

Switching on the “Coming home” function
—Switch off the ignition.
—Operate the headlight flasher for approximately one second.
The “Coming home” lighting is switched on when the driver door is opened. The switch-off delay starts when the last vehicle door or the boot lid has been closed.

Quote:
* All four windows are automatic, and the rear windows go roll down completely.
I have noticed that Anti-pinch function is more sensitive in front windows as compared to rear windows. In rear windows anti-pinch works only at the top. Is it normal ??

Last edited by sagwal : 16th November 2020 at 11:40. Reason: to add Seahawk username
sagwal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 15:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
Voice control is standard feature in T-Toc so no need to pay anything.

I got a message “ Please replace key battery” in digital cockpit when car is turned on and same message is also displayed in vehicle status. As of now I have started using 2nd key and message is gone. But car key battery should not be low within 1.5 months.
The Voice Command is a standard feature which needs to be Activated using an Activation Key, which comes with a part number 5G0054802A and often a price, which I've attached a screenshot of in my previous thread. Voice Command is not a VCDS or ODIS level tweak which can just be enabled by the dealership, else I would have happily shared the way to do it here. It would be great if the dealership obliges and gets it activated for you without charging the Activation Key fee (in my case) but either way, an Activation Key is needed (I speak from experience ).

The Car Key fob should ideally not be Low on battery, but it should be noted that the cars have been in storage from a time these CBUs were designated to be on sale in India (which coincides with a time near the Corona Lockdown). This makes most T-Rocs not 1.5 months, old but roughly over 5-6 months old already, which could be a potential explanation for the faster than usual deterioration. Moreover, the remote battery must not have been renewed during the dealership PDI. I'm sure the dealership can help you with a new battery free of charge during your Swagat or 6 Month Checkup, or you can just change it yourself.
fluidicjoy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks