Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2007, 23:42   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Think beyond the car.. Isnt the H logo considered divine in India? It is and will always be.. Honda almost never reduce prices giving in to competetion
Yes. NHC has a lot of snob value attached to it. Thats precisely the reason I would never buy an NHC. Its all about the brand and nothing about the car..
Old 9th May 2007, 23:50   #167
Senior - BHPian

Terrific write up geek, when are you going to book it & how long does it take to deliver, i am sure you would have spoken about that to the sales guys.
Old 10th May 2007, 00:03   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

Fiat Sedici's shares the same interiors and front and underpinnings with the SX4, i wonder Fiat is drinking booze while MUL is making hay with its diesel engines and sedici car.
Yes Busa, Fiat India is in a deep slumber as usual, first, it gave Multijet D engine for Swift, now the Sedici platform for SX4, next is Mutlijet for Indica!

And what did they do for Fiat cars - a downgraded 1.1 engine for new Palio Stile!
Old 10th May 2007, 00:08   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What exactly are you trying to say, buddy ? You say that both NHC & SX4 have state of the art engines, but still only the NHC is new-gen because it happens to have the fuel tank under the seat.
A LED display on the Civic makes it new-gen (some say its a distraction and safety hazard), while providing latest safety features, ICE controls on steering, bigger wheels on the SX4 do not count.

I am not a potential SX4 buyer, but atleast lets have a level playing field. All these years everyone was bashing MUL for not having enough features, or for old engines and so on. Now that they have gone all the way out to even make a Honda look like a rip-off, it does not count? The market will decide whether it is new gen or not. We can just wait and see.
Could you please highlight wher in my post did i mention that the SX4 is not new gen.

I am only trying to put across the point that the NHC is not old gen just because it doesnt have features.

The field is level now with the SX4. honda had the advantage before but now it has serious competition.

That doesn't mean you can expect honda to sit quietly and watch MUL take over their sales.

Nowhere was i bashing MUL nor honda. I dont have a honda nor am i planning on a SX4 or any maruti car.

I was merely pointing out that you cannot say the NHC is old gen.
Old 10th May 2007, 00:15   #170
BHPian

Guys.. guys... The thread's heading is loud and clear " Suzuki SX4 1.6 ZXI Test Drive Report " . We are debating about NHC.

Guyz, Throw more light about the car and performance...

Cheers,
Jai...
Old 10th May 2007, 00:18   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Proof of the pudding remains to be eaten. Lets wait for a few days/weeks when enough number of people have gotten a good look and drive and ownership experience, and then we'll know how much it lives upto the current expectations (or hype/hoopla).
Very true indeed, these are just initial lust, let us wait for true love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
If one looks at the carbibles website, the next upsize for 195/65 R15 with 16" wheels would be 205/55 R16 (+0.4% speedo error, ground clearance lower by ~ 1 mm). Wonder why Maruti chose 205/60 R16 (-2.8% speedo error, GC increases by ~ 8 mm)? Possibly Maruti felt that 55 profile is too low for Indian roads and could cause tyre/wheel damage apart from a harsh ride. I do hope that the Zxi speedo is calibrated differently, but I doubt it.
carbibles is not the alpha & the omega for tyres, just a tyre enthu guy giving his 2 bits as he claims right at the start. please use your own brains & experience. The stats shown are just an indication, leaning more towards american cars if you read through the entire site. And why do you doubt that maruti has not calibrated the speedo differently for the zxi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Nowhere was i bashing MUL nor honda. I dont have a honda nor am i planning on a SX4 or any maruti car.
You do own an alto, right ? The last i heard it was made by maruti. LOL
Old 10th May 2007, 00:19   #172
Team-BHP Support

I guess you'll hear a very thorough report from our bangy boys v1p3r and mclaren who have had a blast in test driving to it's limits on and offroad.

and congrats to memo for taking delivery of the very first SX4 in India.

E_L: yes I have an alto but I did mention that I dont plan on getting a MUL car.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th May 2007 at 00:22.
Old 10th May 2007, 00:22   #173
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Memo45_m got the delivery of his car at 6:30 .. We had a ball with the car amidst heavy traffic on airport road and some free stretches .. Torque is linear , with 5 people in the car with AC there is no knocking at 1100 rpm and the car wheelspins into 2nd with 16'' and AC with this load .. Overall the car is fabulous except for the fact that the EPS is not much to rave about compared to the Hydraulic Steering of the baleno .. ABS acts too quick , and the tyres suck making it lock with hard braking ..

Revv limiter kicks in at 6750 rpm , and car hits 100 in 2nd gear .. Its difficult to get the car sideways , with even a 60-60 flick and hard braking .. Given the SUV like GC the car still handles like a gem .. Body roll is not that bad as it has been made out to be .. Also the ride on bad roads is amazing .. With the 16'' too and the stiff suspension ..

Expect a detailed review from memo and myself in the next one week including the FE and almost all other aspects ..
Old 10th May 2007, 00:25   #174
Team-BHP Support

what man you guys left me and went off.

guys dont worry whatever he says above is not on memos car its on the demo car. they checked the demo car for stickers before gunning it. lol!!!
Old 10th May 2007, 00:27   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess you'll hear a very thorough report from our bangy boys v1p3r and mclaren who have had a blast in test driving to it's limits on and offroad.

and congrats to memo for taking delivery of the very first SX4 in India.

E_L: yes I have an alto but I did mention that I dont plan on getting a MUL car.
wow!!!

Already???
Old 10th May 2007, 00:36   #176
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
what man you guys left me and went off.

guys dont worry whatever he says above is not on memos car its on the demo car. they checked the demo car for stickers before gunning it. lol!!!
You guys deserve it for playing that dirty prank on us .. Anyways you guys can check out the car in detail on saturday night (sorry for having scooted off on some family work) .. And by then we will have a comprehensive report about most aspect and maybe even a tyre change ..

And the demo car was really tested by us in every which way .. Redlining the car in 1st and 2nd , 60-60's , ultra hard braking , some sideways action , clearing mountain bumps , rocky roads the works .. Overall MUL has a winner .. Watch out competition ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th May 2007 at 00:37.
Old 10th May 2007, 00:47   #177
Senior - BHPian

Will be posting a detailed test-drive review shortly.

What dirty prank?
Old 10th May 2007, 00:52   #178
Senior - BHPian

Congrats memo. Now where has this dude been for so long? Rahul why not arrange for bangy meet this Saturday and all the poor souls who haven't been lucky as you have a chance to look at the 1st one?? What say?

Review !!! now you are talking make it fast dudes. Possibly one might be rolling home soon.
Old 10th May 2007, 01:12   #179
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki SX4: Tested, ripped, OWNED!

Hello,

We went for the launch of the SX4, Mclaren being RNS's no 1 customer, and memo45_m not far behind. Between them, they have personally bought atleast 5 vehicles from RNS, and influenced about 10 more decisions. So we got an invite, and by golly, we took it.

So Mcl drives the car and tells the driver how we are track stars and very finicky about handling and blah blah blah. Poor driver nods his head, while I test the effectiveness of the aircon in the back seat.

Then I get in the driver seat, and the fun begins:

Seating: Not too hard to find the perfect position, since the steering adjusts for rake and the seats for height. I wish they had the wheel adjust for reach too though. The seats are good, same as the Swift, but not as great as the Baleno. Those are the best I've ever come across in India. The rear is more spacious than the Baleno, though the middle seat protrudes out on account of the armrest buried behind you. Legroom is ample, though I don't really care about such things as long as they are sufficient.

Engine: Brand new car, not even run in. Showing 50 odd km on the odo, and 2 20 something year old wannabe racers get their hands on it! Run in? Hahahaha! So anyway, the engine has some 145 Nm or so of torque. Very very linear power delivery. 5 people in the car, AC on Auto, and the car pulls from 1100 rpm in 5th gear. No jerks, no transmission snatch, no knocking, nothing. Just linear power. The punch at 2000 rpm that you find in the Baleno wasn't evident, probably because we had so many people in the car, but it was still a pretty impressive performer. 6750 rpm soft limiter, and it does 50 kmph in first, and 100 in 2nd. Expect the ratios to be nearly identical to the Baleno. Gearshift is stubby and Swiftesque, and the lever and surrounds are actually the same as the Swift. Lots of parts bin raiding here. Managed a top whack of 130 or so, and engine is fairly tractable at any speeds. It revs happily, and feels thrashy only above 5000 rpm. This is probably because of both load and the newness. Expect better performance once you run it in. Seat of pants estimate is a 0-100 of about 12-12.5 seconds. Don't flame me if I'm off the mark here. Car does wheelspin into 2nd gear with 5 people on board though.

Handling: This is the big bit. Power can be worked on (don't we know!), but handling is for life. And with 190 mm GC, you begin to wonder. Well, banish those thoughts, because this is one tight car. I would venture to say it would handle way better than the Baleno, at 180 mm GC. As it is, body roll wasn't too evident, and I managed some hard turns and hard braking at 70-100 kmph. The car never felt out of sorts, and I never felt like I was using more than 60% of its capacity. This is with 5 generously built people on board, mind you. Off road, the 190 mm really helps. I was redlining first gear off road, and scooting past cement mixers and trucks who had to go slow on the bumpy roads. EPS lacks feel, especially at around 50 kmph on dirt roads, where you need good feel at lower speeds. Ride is a worthy successor to the Baleno, if not better.

Braking: Brakes are big and do their job efficiently. ABS is eager to kick in whenever it can. Retardation is instant, right from the start of pedal travel, unlike the Baleno which was a little slower on the uptake. The brakes are ok on tarmac, but quite horrid on dirt. The ABS detects lockup way too soon and automates the whole braking process, which is quite pathetic. I bet I could brake better with my worn 185s on my Baleno, atleast on dirt. Memo and me put this down to the JK Vectras, which have very little grip compared to performance 205s. They lock up too soon, and ABS comes to the party, effectively ruining it.

Overall: This car is incredible. If the FE can get to the 11 kmpl mark, I don't see the petrol Fiesta and Verna, and even the NHC, left with any real reason to exist. If you slam it down 20 mm, and fiddle with the suspension, this car will be track ready, and how! Tight chassis, nice mill, good GC, Maruti's legendary A.S.S., this car has it all. At a price that's lower than its main competition by a lakh or so. If I had to buy a petrol A3/C segmenter, this would be it. Small gripes include the overenthusiatic ABS, the too-high GC, the hollow feel the rear doorpads have, the Swiftness of the whole car, the gripless OE tyres. But still, incredible VFM.

Oh, and in case the owned part isn't clear, one of the gang, memo, has just driven home in his brand new SX4 ZXI, the first one delivered in India.
Old 10th May 2007, 01:16   #180
Senior - BHPian

Ok read your post again..figured out the variant.Back on the 14th want to se the car at the earliest.

Also waiting for mcl's report .. and memos ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
We left out the leather, because this is India, and leather adds weight. .

So whats his plan,..run in and mod or mod and run in??

Hats of to you Mohnish,first .. the first Sx4 in India,then .. the first modded sx4 in India.And i thought mcl was crazy!!

Last edited by binz : 10th May 2007 at 01:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks