Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 12:30   #331
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Yups, VP you are correct. The oils are almost similar but there are different oils that have to be put in Petrol and Diesel Linea. Nice observations
It caught my attention only when I tried to correct Dr Amit's friends post about Engine oil in only 5 ltr pack. I distinctly remember Ashwin got 3 ltrs changed & got bill of rs. 1900. Then I visited Ashwin thread & his earlier posts & was shocked to see pics of Selenia WR 5W-40.

Sorry, Ashwin - for being so late in catching this. Why I missed earlier & caught it now? You got it changed very early @ 1000 km when I knew nothing about the oils in Linea. Reading thro' manuals seeing some 4-5 diff oils by selenia, I was always confused & not clear which one should I use in my petrol Linea. When I did my 1st service, I was thinking of oil change, so reasearched & found out (also someone here mentioned it earlier) that for petrol its Selenia K. Then I spoke to the advisor on availability of Selenia K specifically (as I do not trust these guys 1% - various observations during my 5-6 visits to TASS), thats how Selenia K got ingrained in my mind.

In any case do not worry much. IMO, grades are similar so should not be serious issues. IMO what you should do...
- Apart from your service station & Fiat, take independent opinion from a 3rd party on the possible impact. Your SS & Fiat may try to avoid it & try to lower down the impact.
- Chack with the other TASS in chennai & ask him if by mistake one puts Diesel engine oil in petrol Linea, what happens
- Also check with independent Fiat mechanics having expertese in Fiat. You can check with t-bhpians owning Palio or PUG members in Chennai on such mechanics. finneyp can help you to locate t-bhpian/ PUG member
Old 11th July 2009, 12:49   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
- Apart from your service station & Fiat, take independent opinion from a 3rd party on the possible impact. Your SS & Fiat may try to avoid it & try to lower down the impact.
- Chack with the other TASS in chennai & ask him if by mistake one puts Diesel engine oil in petrol Linea, what happens
- Also check with independent Fiat mechanics having expertese in Fiat. You can check with t-bhpians owning Palio or PUG members in Chennai on such mechanics. finneyp can help you to locate t-bhpian/ PUG member
+1 to that.
Its a serious issue and a shame on the service centres face that they commit such a big mistake. Though oils are similar, diesel oil may have xtra additives for cleaning decarbonising etc.

As VP suggests, do all of the above :
- You should get a free oil change back to Selenia K at the service centre. They have no right to deny now and hope they dont even do.

- geeash, get in writing from service centre that they commited this mistake if in future any problem arises you have proof (anyways you have bill receipt)

- Do update us. Did you talk to any higher officials of fiat tata?
Just a case of messed up service, dont you have any other service centre in your area?
I heard CONCORDE is a Tata unit and service levels will always remain shoddy,
why should customer keep running after the service centres.

On a lighter note ,
When my SA said we will do pick n drop, i said no you will put in Indica's oil in my car if am not there on your head and see even after standing they put in Linea D oil in Ashwin's petrol Linea..
Seems those who dont have good service centres will have to stand ay service bay with Service booklet and keep checking what brand oil are they putting in for gear, brake, engine etc to be safe
Old 11th July 2009, 14:57   #333
BHPian

true, these TATA mechnics are a bunch of jokers. Good that we have long service intervals so that we don't have to face them often.
When I took my Linea for examining a problem, they connected the "engine examiner" and were entering it as 1.3MJD. I was watching them and quickly pointed that its a petrol car and he should select 1.4FIRE!
Such is the level of incompetence.

Quote:
Seems those who dont have good service centres will have to stand ay service bay with Service booklet and keep checking what brand oil are they putting in for gear, brake, engine etc to be safe
Old 11th July 2009, 15:01   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, Ashwin - for being so late in catching this. Why I missed earlier & caught it now? You got it changed very early @ 1000 km when I knew nothing about the oils in Linea
Mate i have to profusely thank you for this. It is better late than never.
I have talked to the service advisors they are rather downplaying this issue. They have asked me to come for the oil change on monday.
But rather i am worried as i have run my engine for 4000km after the oil change. If it had caused some damage to engine what will happen?. I want to know what issues i might face and want to know what techinically happens in engine if oil is mismatched, so that i can put it across their face strongly and ask them for something in writing as suggested by coolboy so that in event if something happens down the line i might have something to throw on their face.

The mangesh number that trrk had given is out of order. The other one finneyp had given is asking for some extension number to connect. so have not been able to personally talk to them. i am planning to write a detailed mail today including the photos to higher authorities and threaten them with legal consequence.

The hassles with fiat is never ending for me..............
Old 11th July 2009, 15:14   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I want to know what issues i might face and want to know what techinically happens in engine if oil is mismatched, so that i can put it across their face strongly and ask them for something in writing as suggested by coolboy so that in event if something happens down the line i might have something to throw on their face.

The hassles with fiat is never ending for me..............
Yups, get in writing from the service centre that they have put the wrong engine oil in your car and if any problem occurs in future in engine (hope not and most unlikely) because of this they are the ones responsible for it. They will not agree easily to give in writing but force them to atleast write they put in wrong engine oil.

Regarding faults in engines, dont worry, 3k is a long distance you covered with wrong engine oil. If it had to do any harm, some characteristics should have atleast come up till now but seems everything is normal in your case.

Hassles with Fiat , you are the worst affected of the lot. Noones car got scratched at service centre giving agony and now wrong oil change. I want to burn away this poor TASS.
In your case, i advise you that from now on, go less to this service centre, try any other and if not possible, just visit this ASC for services which is once in a year and not for small niggles. It will be good for both you and your car otherwise its a Emotion"al atayachar.
Old 11th July 2009, 17:02   #336
Senior - BHPian

Geeash, did you try calling Mangesh on his mobile?
Old 11th July 2009, 17:07   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Geeash, did you try calling Mangesh on his mobile?
The mobile number you gave me connects to fiat factory and is asking me for some extension number
Old 11th July 2009, 23:43   #338
BANNED

Ashwin

I think you already have their bill for Oil Change. Thats more than a letter. Plus you also have photograph. You have them under the carpet with all these. IMO, they'll not argue anything. In any case these Tata dealers are not those crooked types. They'll apologise profusely, try to playdown the issue & will offer you lot many things free.

That said, before going there, check with an independent mechanic on what impact this may have on engine so that when you go there you know the next course of action
Old 13th July 2009, 10:49   #339
BHPian

Ashwin,
While you try and sort this out with FIAT, replace the oil with petrol specific oil ASAP, even if it means paying for it. Please keep us posted on any updates.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:19   #340
Senior - BHPian

finally issue resolved

Finally had a chance to talk to mangesh yesterday morning. I had sent him a mail about the pathetic A.S.S in chennai concorde and when i tried to call the fiat help line he picked up. I told him what has happened and he said he would revert back for the same. Went to the service centre and had a blast with them. They had got an hiding already from pune and my mail was promptly forwarded.

The diesel oil was let out . The service centre manager wanted to put the petrol oil saying since the engine is hot there is no need to flush out, I said in dont want to take a chance and by all means i want a flush out. so they flushed everything out and changed the oil. The oil bay took up 3 bottles of the selenia k which amounts to 3 litres. They changed the oil filter too free of cost.

here are the pics
Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!-p7120286.jpg

The petrol selenia

Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!-p7120287.jpg

Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!-p7120288.jpg

The cost

Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!-p7120290.jpg

The bottles

Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!-p7120292.jpg

The oil filter

In the afternoon when i came back i got a call from mangesh. who said to me that infact diesel engine oil can be used in petrol engines and only the viceversa cshould not be done. he sent me a document in support of this. But i told him any how i have changed it now. I had a 20 minutes talk with him about the various niggling issues thet we are all facing and he said he will take up the matter and resolve the same
This is the scanned part of our manual which he sent which states that B3 grade can also be used in A3

Here is the letter he sent to me
Quote:
Dear Sir,

This has reference to the telecom we had on subject, as clarified on subject:

Linea Petrol engine can be used with M2 or N2 Qualified

Linea Diesel engine can be used with N2 Qualification

Hence diesel engine oil can he used for petrol engine.

Attaching details of engine oil referred in Owners Hand Book

With regards to concerns referred:

Alloy wheel order placed for replacement ( bend ) – still not confirm by dealer on availability
Chrome strip getting dislodged ( quarter glass)
Driver seat height not stable , declines over night ( 3 notches )

We have coordinated required back for resolving above points on priority. Requesting to please bear with us

Thanking you for your cooperation & assuring you of our best services at all times

With warm regards,

Mangesh Kodalkar
Customer services
Old 14th July 2009, 10:27   #341
BHPian

Glad that your problems got solved. You can sleep peacefully now.
But imagine what if yours was a diesel car and they put in the petrol engine oil? Some serious damages.

And seems like concorde guys are still trying some cheap tricks by not flushing out entire oil.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:41   #342
Senior - BHPian

Finally the problem was solved.
As i told earlier,Diesel Engine won't do any drastic problem in Petrol Engine.
Luckily you have changed engine oil twice within <5k mark.
So no Engine debris remained in and definitley you can feel the silky smooth engine now.
Enjoy the ride buddy
Old 14th July 2009, 10:43   #343
BHPian

Quote:

Hassles with Fiat , you are the worst affected of the lot. Noones car got scratched at service centre giving agony and now wrong oil change. I want to burn away this poor TASS.
In your case, i advise you that from now on, go less to this service centre, try any other and if not possible, just visit this ASC for services which is once in a year and not for small niggles. It will be good for both you and your car otherwise its a Emotion"al atayachar.
I would like to throw my hat in the ring too as the worst affected ! My car was delivered with big scratches on the bumper. Also they were not able to fix all the rattles. I've e-mail Fiat a couple of times about these issues but since I haven't heard back I'm just living with them for now .

geeash, glad to hear that your issues are resolved! Like others have said hope you don't have to visit the service center anytime soon again!
Old 14th July 2009, 10:52   #344
BHPian

BTW, what procedure do they use to flush out the oil? Do they use any specific flush oil?
Old 14th July 2009, 13:22   #345
BANNED

Ashwin,

Am extremely happy that all issues got resolved with no doubt on problem occuring later. I had a hunch that the diesel engine oil won't do much harm. What came out is even better that it does not do any harm & can be used in petrol engine. Ooops - actually an advantage of buying a Petrol car

What you got is more than enough. A written confirmation that the WR oil could be used in petrol engin & hence you can drive the beauty peacefully now not worrying that any damage is done or no.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks