Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 16:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intermediate Startup Trouble on i20 CRDi!

Thanks for the replies

Last fuel filter change was at 24500 kms... August 2011. Its been changed once or twice before this also (not too sure)

Fuel quality is always a question mark, but I have been using the same bunk for over 5-6 years now with no issues..

If the keyfob is damaged, will the car let the starter motor crank? Will replace the keyfob with the duplicate and check.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 5th December 2011 at 16:43.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:19   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here!! *UPDATE* 29,000 kms! Fuel Pump & Injector failure!

Its a problem with your starter motor. I had the same problem in our Brand New Indica. The car would suddenly refuse to start, and I would keep on cranking (to no avail). After some time the car would start on its own (presumably after cooling down).

On taking the car to TASS (who're probably more experienced in dealing with mechanical failures than HASS ) they replaced the starter motor, and the problem immediately went away!
Old 7th December 2011, 01:06   #138
Senior - BHPian

re: My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here!! *UPDATE* 29,000 kms! Fuel Pump & Injector failure!

Ok... so fuel pump, fuel lines, starter motor.... all to be checked

Thanks guys... will report back tomorrow evening..
Old 9th December 2011, 23:10   #139
Senior - BHPian

Update .... and its not a good one...

Car has been with the A.S.S. since 5th December (5 Days including today)

Final diagnosis :

1) Fuel Pump failure
2) Injector Failure

Approx Cost for new components as advised by A.S.S. : Rs 1.6 lakh!! 80000 for the pump!! 20000 for each injector!! However, if all goes well, thankfully it should be covered under extended warranty.

Time Required: 25 - 30 days more.

The pump and injectors will be sent to Bosch Authorized Guys somewhere in Maharashtra. They will examine the parts and then refurbish/replace.

All this, after 29000 kms, 2 years 4 months!! The car has been serviced as per manufacturer recommendations, at authorized A.S.S.

Fuel taken at only one petrol pump, where I have been tanking up since the last 5+ years and also tank up my CRV.

I bought a Hyundai for 7.4 lacs .. and the primary reason for the purchase was reliability. I am now without a car for a month!!

If this car is not designed to run on indian diesel, why sell it here? Even though I travel to the suburbs everyday, I only tank up at my regular pump at Alipore. What if I wouldn't have taken extended warranty?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 9th December 2011 at 23:11.
AbhiJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 23:20   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

I can understand Hyundai has overpriced i20 CRDI blaming imported Engine but charging this much for Fuel Pump and Injectors is daylight robbery. Imagine what it may do to out of warranty car owners.

This too happening to such a low mileage car! Keep us updated.
Old 10th December 2011, 01:42   #141
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here!! *UPDATE* 29,000 kms! Fuel Pump & Injector fail

If this is not being done under warranty, ask them to replace just the motor inside the fuel pump and not the entire assembly, you could save a few rupees on that. 80k for fuel pump ?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 02:06   #142
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here!! *UPDATE* 29,000 kms! Fuel Pump & Injector fail

Shocking! 1.6L for a fuel pump and injector assembly!

Are you using premium fuel, or regular unleaded diesel? i20 comes with 4 years extended warranty, right? Glad you have extended warranty. Else, it sounds like daylight robbery to me.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

EsteemLover @ Apparently the pumps seals have given away, due to which the pressure in fuel line is dropping... When cooled down abd then started, the pump still works perfectly.

Crazy Driver @ I am using regular fuel, as advised during purchase/first service.
i20 comes with 2 year warranty only, and I bought the 3rd year warranty for Rs 7520, about 8 months after I purchased the car. Thank God I did!!

Hyundai refuse to cover the car over 3 yrs.... Guess now we know why...

Last edited by AbhiJ : 10th December 2011 at 12:43.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:09   #144
BHPian

Man this is really scary for potential i20 CRDi costumer like me !
When we started believing that hyundai diesels can be reliable in long runs incident like this happened.
Fuel pump and injectors are this expensive?
I just can't accept the fact that fuel quality is a problem.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:34   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
1) Fuel Pump failure
2) Injector Failure
How can BOTH the FIP and injectors fail together? That too, all 4 injectors at the same time? Any possible causes thought up by the HASS techs?
Old 10th December 2011, 13:39   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How can BOTH the FIP and injectors fail together? That too, all 4 injectors at the same time? Any possible causes thought up by the HASS techs?
God and HASS knows...

Even with a replacement fuel pump, the car is starting up, the cranking is extremely strained and late... as if the battery is flat...

The HASS is sending the injectors and pump to Bosch to solve the problem. Injectors may/may not be replaced.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:49   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
God and HASS knows...
God might, HASS obviously doesn't!

Quote:
Even with a replacement fuel pump, the car is starting up, the cranking is extremely strained and late... as if the battery is flat...
Is the battery flat or not? Can't they carry out a simple check or use a replacement battery to find out if cranking becomes better?
Quote:
The HASS is sending the injectors and pump to Bosch to solve the problem. Injectors may/may not be replaced.
Doesn't Bosch have a FIP/injector test bench in Kolkata? Why send the stuff all the way to Maharashtra?

I would recommend that you ask very very loudly for either a spare car, or a replacement set of FIP & injectors to be fitted in your i20 for the interval it takes for them to service yours. This would also be a good way to find out if the starting problem recurs with the new spares.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:34   #148
Senior - BHPian

80k's for a fuel pump! But Hyundai's have never been kind to the pocket as far as replacement parts are concerned except for Santro or may be Accent. My friend was quoted 26k's by HASS for clutch replacement on his Verna.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:49   #149
BHPian

So is the fuel pump and injector the only disadvantage of modern diesels? Or is this a One off case like the several One off cases of the accent CRDi diesel which used to pack up after 1.5 lakh km?

I sure hope its at least repairable.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:57   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the battery flat or not?
New battery installed last week.

Quote:
Doesn't Bosch have a FIP/injector test bench in Kolkata? Why send the stuff all the way to Maharashtra?
They do, but Hyundai has instructed them to dispatch to Maharashtra!

Quote:
I would recommend that you ask very very loudly for either a spare car, or a replacement set of FIP & injectors to be fitted in your i20 for the interval it takes for them to service yours.
Will do that. They have no injectors/pumps in stock anyway!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks