Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 00:52   #166
Max
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here!! *UPDATE* 29,000 kms! Fuel Pump & Injector fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Final diagnosis :

1) Fuel Pump failure
2) Injector Failure

Approx Cost for new components as advised by A.S.S. : Rs 1.6 lakh!! 80000 for the pump!! 20000 for each injector!! However, if all goes well, thankfully it should be covered under extended warranty.

Time Required: 25 - 30 days more.

The pump and injectors will be sent to Bosch Authorized Guys somewhere in Maharashtra. They will examine the parts and then refurbish/replace.
Fuel pump and injectors costing Rs.1.6 lakhs. How can this be possible. Its i20 not Bentley.

After reading your post, I searched for bosch fuel injectors and I found they cost $20-$40/piece (Rs.1000 to Rs.2000).

example

Bosch 0437502054 New Multi Port Injector

Bosch fuel pump cost between $130 - $140 (Rs.6500 to Rs.8000).

Bosch 69469 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump

Amazon.com: Bosch 69469 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive

then how can Hyundai say it cost Rs.1.6 lakhs? ($4000). If this is true, i will definitely never consider buying Hyundai cars.

Even if we consider 30% custom duty, how can part cost so much?. This must be fully investigated for benefit of other team-bhp'ians Hyundai i20 owners.

Last edited by Max : 14th December 2011 at 00:55.
Old 14th December 2011, 09:49   #167
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here!! *UPDATE* 29,000 kms! Fuel Pump & Injector fail

Hyundia is charging huge cost.

I just cannot think what would happen to a person who's car is out of warranty,he would go crazy,

Bill of 1.6 Lacs for Fuel pump & sensor- huge- wake up Hyundai Management you just cannot play with people's hardearned money to earn huge profit for yourself,

I am happy that your car is covered underwarranty & you are able to get work done,
Also not even sure whether they include this in extended warranty - I doubts

But at the same time feel sorry that people often don't take this scenerio in mind prior buying Hyundia car -i20 diesel- anyone who saved penny by diesel & petrol difference & if he lands in trouble of Fuel Pump & sensor issue- pays money saved to Hyundai.

Last edited by anupam00 : 14th December 2011 at 10:01. Reason: updated the post
Old 14th December 2011, 10:52   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update .... and its not a good one...

Car has been with the A.S.S. since 5th December (5 Days including today)

Final diagnosis :

1) Fuel Pump failure
2) Injector Failure

Approx Cost for new components as advised by A.S.S. : Rs 1.6 lakh!! 80000 for the pump!! 20000 for each injector!! However, if all goes well, thankfully it should be covered under extended warranty.

Time Required: 25 - 30 days more.

The pump and injectors will be sent to Bosch Authorized Guys somewhere in Maharashtra. They will examine the parts and then refurbish/replace.

All this, after 29000 kms, 2 years 4 months!! The car has been serviced as per manufacturer recommendations, at authorized A.S.S.

Fuel taken at only one petrol pump, where I have been tanking up since the last 5+ years and also tank up my CRV.

I bought a Hyundai for 7.4 lacs .. and the primary reason for the purchase was reliability. I am now without a car for a month!!

If this car is not designed to run on indian diesel, why sell it here? Even though I travel to the suburbs everyday, I only tank up at my regular pump at Alipore. What if I wouldn't have taken extended warranty?
I feed enraged to read this up. This is daylight robbery.

I generally try avoiding using very harsh words but I can't control myself in this case: I think Hyundai apni 'aukaat' bhool gaya hai. Yes, that's what I think.

At the end of the day, it is Korean company which has built its reputation by manufacturing cars that are being cheap to own, cheap to run and reliable.

This incident should also break the myth that Hyundais are really cheap to repair. We on the forum have a general tendency to bash certain companies (say Fiat has bad A.S.S/ VWs are really expensive to maintain etc.). I think most of these perceptions have a certain degree of truth in them but have now become almost stereotype images.

Anyway, keep up posted on the progress. How much money will you have to shell out from your pocket? (if at all)
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 11:04   #169
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Fuel pump and injectors costing Rs.1.6 lakhs. How can this be possible. Its i20 not Bentley.

After reading your post, I searched for bosch fuel injectors and I found they cost $20-$40/piece (Rs.1000 to Rs.2000).

example

Bosch 0437502054 New Multi Port Injector

Bosch fuel pump cost between $130 - $140 (Rs.6500 to Rs.8000).

Bosch 69469 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump

Amazon.com: Bosch 69469 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive

then how can Hyundai say it cost Rs.1.6 lakhs? ($4000). If this is true, i will definitely never consider buying Hyundai cars.

Even if we consider 30% custom duty, how can part cost so much?. This must be fully investigated for benefit of other team-bhp'ians Hyundai i20 owners.

They (as mentioned by you) are not the parts requiring replacement as referred by HASS!!!!!!!

The parts are as per the imaged attached below.
1. Solenoid Injector
2. Common rail High Pressure Pump.

PS : Image courtesy, respective owners.
Attached Thumbnails
My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here! UPDATE- Now Sold-electronicinjector.jpg  

My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta is here! UPDATE- Now Sold-commonraildieselpump.jpg  

Old 14th December 2011, 21:24   #170
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

They (as mentioned by you) are not the parts requiring replacement as referred by HASS!!!!!!!

The parts are as per the imaged attached below.
1. Solenoid Injector
2. Common rail High Pressure Pump.

PS : Image courtesy, respective owners.
This thread helped me allot in understanding Common Rail Diesel Injection System.

also heard that Bosch is setting up plant in India to manufacture diesel fuel pumps which will bring down price of diesel fuel pump significantly.
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Thanks to your thread, I know allot more about fuel pumps and diesel fuel pump in general then before.

yes its true common rail high pressure pumps are expensive specially the one used in Hyundai cars.

But, Bosch common rail High Pressure Pump is costing about $700-$1000 (around Rs.35000/- to Rs.52000/-) in united states, if you add duty then also it should not cost anywhere near to 1.6lakhs. Take a look at listing of some Bosch common rail fuel injector pumps at ebay.com

common rail fuel injection pump | eBay

another one 1.5crdi fuel pump £429.99 (about $750)

GENUINE KIA/HYUNDAI 1.5 CRDI DIESEL INJECTOR PUMP 33100-2A410/0445010124 NEW | eBay

2001 Dodge, Ram 2500 Ram 3500 - Fuel Injection Diesel Parts Selector

0986437323 Bosch High Pressure Common Rail CP3 Fuel Pump for 2005 - 2006 Dodge Sprinter

on carewale forums one user have reported Rs.90000 for Hyundai Verna-Diesel Pump cost.

Solenoid Injector is about $40 - $100 (maximum rs.5200).

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1540&bih=718

I also read somewhere, that crdi fuel injector pump can fail if there is water in the diesel. 1% water is enough to fail pump. Best way to check if their is water in diesel or not is to fill some diesel in bottle from the pump where you fill your diesel regularly and then let it sit for a while to see if any water is accumulating below diesel.

Lets take into consideration, even if the price quoted to you buy Hyundai dealer is correct then also Hyundai diesel cars are extremely expensive to repair which fails whole idea of saving on diesel fuel.

Do anyone know how much similar part costs in Maruti Swift and Ford Figo?.
Old 15th December 2011, 07:24   #171
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
This thread helped me allot in understanding Common Rail Diesel Injection System.
Do anyone know how much similar part costs in Maruti Swift and Ford Figo?.
Diesel High Pressure injection technology is not cheap! But its extremely reliable. Multiple tests are done to ensure that they operate as intended.
Also the fact is that Aftermarket parts are more expensive.

In order to avoid water entry into the Pump, a water separator is used along with a diesel filter. So if the car has a OBD, the sensor in the water separator will help in showing up the fault on OBD.

The commonrail technology for Maruti is made by Bosch and for Ford Figo its made by Continental.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 12:06   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I feed enraged to read this up. This is daylight robbery.

Anyway, keep up posted on the progress. How much money will you have to shell out from your pocket? (if at all)

Imagine how I feel. Paid 7 lacs+ for this car and 27 months later this happens.

I will gladly pay whatever they ask for provided they prove that the failure was user error.

I understand that faults happen, and components can fail. My problem with Hyundai is simply their replacement procedure. What makes them think that making the customer wait for 30 days for a fuel pump replacement is acceptable?

Clarification : The A.S.S. is not sure if 1 injector is faulty or all 4. They are sending the entire pump and injector set for repair/replacement. They have just told me the worse case scenario price I could have paid had I not taken extended warranty.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 15th December 2011 at 12:23.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:10   #173
Senior - BHPian

AbhiJ, I can empathise with you.

However, what is strange is that prices of spare parts are almost TWICE that of the equivalent parts in the Multijet. Last I spoke to my ASC, the MJD fuel pump was for Rs 22,000/- and the injectors were for Rs 10,000/- each.

It is not as if this engine is twice as reliable or twice as powerful to be having such stratospheric parts prices. And Hyundai claims to be a "people's brand"!
Old 16th December 2011, 14:14   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
AbhiJ, I can empathise with you.

It is not as if this engine is twice as reliable or twice as powerful to be having such stratospheric parts prices. And Hyundai claims to be a "people's brand"!
This is a joke

Spare part cost is huge - Hyundai cannot claims to be a people's brand after looking at the facts of cost.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
anupam00 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 17:39   #175
BHPian

Hi Abhij. i really empathaize with u. really very sorry to hear that. I understand how much pain and mental agony you would be going thru after spending 7 lakhs and then being asked to cough up 1.6 lakhs extra for some some very poor quality control standards. Hyundais are very costly to maintain is a well known fact in india. Be it a Santo or an elantra. Anyways, please take it up at the highest level and please keep us posted on the development.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 01:04   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
I understand how much pain and mental agony you would be going thru after spending 7 lakhs and then being asked to cough up 1.6 lakhs extra for some some very poor quality control standards.
Thanks for your post...

However please let me clarify. Hyundai or the H.A.S.S. has not asked me for any money, at least not yet. My S.A. actually told me this should be completely covered under their warranty. So.. fingers crossed.

The problems are:
1) The premature failure (After all reqd. maintained/services)
2) Unavailability of spares
3) Cost of Spares (Ouch! What happens after extended warranty expires?)
4) Hyundai's Policy and Attitude (My car is gone for a month. Nothing they are willing to do about it!)
Old 17th December 2011, 10:13   #177
rbp
BHPian

@AbhiJ:- Shocking to read that. My car[i20 CRDI] too doesnt crank quickly, I guess that might be due to the battery as I dont take the car out frequently, now after reading your horror exp, I am worried, though I do have the extended warranty.

Looks like a little risky if anyone plans to keep this car over a longer period [ >2 [if no exxtended warranty ] or > 3 years ].
Old 17th December 2011, 14:11   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
@AbhiJ:- Shocking to read that. My car[i20 CRDI] too doesnt crank quickly, I guess that might be due to the battery as I dont take the car out frequently, now after reading your horror exp, I am worried, though I do have the extended warranty.

Looks like a little risky if anyone plans to keep this car over a longer period [ >2 [if no exxtended warranty ] or > 3 years ].
For the last 2 months or so, my car used to take 2,3 revolutions before the engine fired up. I too was expecting it to be the battery...
Old 17th December 2011, 17:20   #179
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
For the last 2 months or so, my car used to take 2,3 revolutions before the engine fired up. I too was expecting it to be the battery...
I have to get the battery checked.
Old 17th December 2011, 17:59   #180
BHPian

Thank god I bought extended warranty for my i20 CRDI Asta (O) and it is valid till july 2012. I pray to god that if any problem of such kind is to crop up let it show before the expiry of warranty. I will go mad if I have shell out so much for repairs and replacement of parts.

Touch wood and may god have mercy on me. But is there any other way where one can extend warranty of the car beyond what is provided by the manufacturer. Hyundai provides only one year extended warranty to i20 CRDI. So anyone having information on getting further extended warranty please enlighten so that we can be benifitted.

I have to seriously think of selling off my car before the expiry of the extended warranty after hearing such horror stories of Hyundai ***.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks