Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 14:47   #1681
BANNED

Goodyear ones have no problem associated with them. Some apollo's have these problems & prolonged use causes steering geometry to change.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:04   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Scorpio : AFAIK, Ford Dealers only used waxoyl underbody,overbody & engine protection.

I have never heard about 3M being used at our dealers, Even 3 months back when i bought my fusion, Waxoyl was the only recommended paint/rust protection brand currently being used. If FE is your sole criterion, just buy the one that has the highest ARAI mileage without even a TD.

*EDIT = Just found out, 3M car care treatment has been started from march 1,2010 onwards, Earlier it was waxoyl only.

@Misquitas : Thanks man, I am always 'happy to help'
I have one of each. Waxoyl paint protection from MPL Ford and 3M underbody rust protection from Chennai Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerala View Post
At first he said about nov-dec bookings which no one believed, but actually it is true. Example is Gilead friend.
I told my colleague your Squeeze is on the way. Neither Ford nor the dealer has updated him on the status of his car yet. He is planning to land up there at 5 pm today and create a ruckus when the maximum number of prospective customers would be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I think we should be more bothered about what the car offers than what points Ford is marketing. When the petrol engine is underpowered compared to the competition, we would naturally expect it to aleast give better FE. What happens in this case is that it is neither quick, nor tuned for economy.
You are right. The petrol is neither tuned for class leading FE or power, but look at the car holisticaly and not just from an engine perspective. You will realize it's probably the best bang for the buck available at the moment. If FE is your sole criterion, buy the one that has the best ARAI mileage without even a TD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy.tripathy View Post
Guys a quick question, will upgrading tyres on my Figo from 175/65/R14 to 185/60/R14 or 195/60/R14 void the ford warranty ?
Yesiree, it technically voids the warranty and I personally think the stock size is the perfect size for this car. Upgrade to better rubber if you want but don't change the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Yesterday after taking the car in the morning, i did about 70 odd kms before filling the tank. quenched her thirst by filling about 42 liters, before that she showed a DTE of around 59 or 69, don't exactly remember. that should mean about 23 or 19.6 kmpl.
After filling her up DTE was hovering 558, tyre pressure was set to 30 psi that would mean about 12.1 kmpl.

Something is wrong here, any suggestions??
The DTE is conservative. Use only the tankful to tankful method for FE calculation. And stop filling at the auto cutoff point and don't put in more fuel by shaking the car like those cab drivers.

Last edited by Gilead : 9th April 2010 at 15:07.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:10   #1683
BHPian

OK, I'm confused.

This 3M and Waxoyl are for the body of the car or the underbody?

If there is a difference, which should I take?

And are they recommended at all?
Old 9th April 2010, 15:29   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steel prices may have an impact not in India but at a global level.

Whats news on your figo, i saw couple of squeeze at MPL waiting for delivery.

@other figo owners: Whats the tyre on your car, mine is Apollo, Silverknight had mentioned that the apollo tyres made the car to go left and not a steering alignment issues that Mustang mentioned earlier. Need more clarity on this?
Got Good year GT3 with mine.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:29   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
You are right. The petrol is neither tuned for class leading FE or power, but look at the car holisticaly and not just from an engine perspective. You will realize it's probably the best bang for the buck available at the moment. If FE is your sole criterion, buy the one that has the best ARAI mileage without even a TD.
What if I want to go for the one with the best power? Which one should I go for then? Incidentally, keeping the Jazz apart, the one with the highest power also gives the best FE. That's how you should be building engines.

I never said that I want the highest mileage from the Figo. What I said was the combined mileage (city+highway) should be at least 15kmpl. I don't think that's too much of an ask from a 1.2L engined hatch. After all, the K12M is not the only 1.2 litre mill sporting a combined FE of above 15kmpl.

Why are folks so worried in dicussing the FE for the Figo, when the same is being discussed without fear or favour for other manufacturers. I think we need to take an informed decision rather than risk your hard earned money for something you have not bargained for. The sales executive was quoting 15-18 kmpl for the petrol Figo and 20-22 for the diesel. How's that for misguiding a potential customer?

Last edited by longhorn : 9th April 2010 at 15:40.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:30   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
OK, I'm confused.

This 3M and Waxoyl are for the body of the car or the underbody?

If there is a difference, which should I take?

And are they recommended at all?
Both 3M/Waxoyl offers the foll:
- Paint Protection
- Under Chasis Coating
- Rust Protection (aka Cavity Protection, put inside the holes where water can accmulate and rust can happen from the inside - like doors, deck cover etc)
- Engine Coating - basically a spray which will allow dust etc to be removed with a water wash easily

AFAIK, Waxoyl in Chennai have tie up only with dealers and it cannot be done outside whereas one can do 3M outside, most notably @ balaji agencies near Siet College.

My recommendation is to take the paint protection & rust protection...under chasis can be done before the rains. Costwise however dealers bundle all these together as essential pack or something, hence it may be difficult to get this selectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I have one of each. Waxoyl paint protection from MPL Ford and 3M underbody rust protection from Chennai Ford.
Isn't it the other way..MPL=3M, CF=Waxoyl. I have all these protection stuff from Waxoyl @CF for my Fiesta whereas on my Ikon it was 3M@MPL.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:36   #1687
RGK
Senior - BHPian

<<<The DTE is conservative. Use only the tankful to tankful method for FE calculation. And stop filling at the auto cutoff point and don't put in more fuel by shaking the car like those cab drivers.>>>
@Gilead - After auto cutoff - when you see inside the fuel pipe there is no fuel - all goes inside. Ater auto cutoff also you can fill till it reaches the top and it is visible. But better to fill slowly always.
Generally it is done by cab drivers to round off the amount
Old 9th April 2010, 15:38   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
What I said was the combined mileage (city+highway) should be at least 15kmpl. I don't think that's too much of an ask from a 1.2L engine. After all, the K12M is not the only 1.2 litre mill sporting a combined FE of above 15kmpl.
My Fiesta 1.6 SXI Petrol easily gives 14-15 in city+highway driving.
In worst ever city driving conditions/habit which I have elaborated upon some other Fiesta ownership thread, I am getting above 9 kmpl. For Fiesta, it is claimed 11-12 & 14 as city/highway FE.

Hence, for Figo I don't see why city+highway cannot achieve 14-15 FE post the run-in/oil change service period.
==========

Read somewhere that Fiesta/Figo a/c is double the cubic capacity compared to others in the category and even a segment above. Does this better/powerful a/c have a say in the final FE? I don't mind trading a couple of kms in FE to get a more comfortable atmosphere inside.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:40   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
<<<The DTE is conservative. Use only the tankful to tankful method for FE calculation. And stop filling at the auto cutoff point and don't put in more fuel by shaking the car like those cab drivers.>>>
@Gilead - After auto cutoff - when you see inside the fuel pipe there is no fuel - all goes inside. Ater auto cutoff also you can fill till it reaches the top and it is visible. But better to fill slowly always.
RGK, it is better to stop at 1st cut-off, though there is also a 2nd auto-off, if I am not wrong. Also, IMO, leaving some space inside the tank instead of filling upto the brim, allows the fuel to have some sloshing space. FE calculation will be consistent as well.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:56   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why are folks so worried in dicussing the FE for the Figo, when the same is being discussed without fear or favour for other manufacturers. I think we need to take an informed decision rather than risk your hard earned money for something you have not bargained for. The sales executive was quoting 15-18 kmpl for the petrol Figo and 20-22 for the diesel. How's that for misguiding a potential customer?
Who is worried about discussing the Figo FE. Not me. Heck, I am not even planning to buy it. 15 and 20 are the ARAI figures for the petrol and diesel. In real world heavy traffic city situations it will come down to 12-13 and 15-16 respectively. The diesel will easily give 22 on the highway. All I was saying is if a 1-2 km difference in FE is important to you, don't even consider the petrol Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Isn't it the other way..MPL=3M, CF=Waxoyl. I have all these protection stuff from Waxoyl @CF for my Fiesta whereas on my Ikon it was 3M@MPL.
Maybe they both have tie ups with Waxoyl and 3M. I am sure of what I have.

Quote:
Best to stop after the first cut off point.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:58   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@other figo owners: Whats the tyre on your car, mine is Apollo, Silverknight had mentioned that the apollo tyres made the car to go left and not a steering alignment issues that Mustang mentioned earlier. Need more clarity on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Goodyear ones have no problem associated with them. Some apollo's have these problems & prolonged use causes steering geometry to change.
I have got the Apollos. And from day 1 i have had a feeling that the car puls towards right, though its very slightly. I thought i might just be feeling it and its because of the road. More over i moved on from FIAT to get over this "visiting the service centre for every other issue" kind of thing so i decided to let it be. Its just a minute pull towards the left. Not a hard pull like if you leave the steering it just turns left. The car very slowly starts moving towards left. I'm still not sure if its bout the roads or if there really is an issue.

Mustang. Can we know if there really is a problem using the VIN number? Else how do i confirm if there is a problem or if its normal. If there is a known problem why is ford not calling back owners for a check up?

Quote:
What if I want to go for the one with the best power? Which one should I go for then? Incidentally, keeping the Jazz apart, the one with the highest power also gives the best FE. That's how you should be building engines.

I never said that I want the highest mileage from the Figo. What I said was the combined mileage (city+highway) should be at least 15kmpl. I don't think that's too much of an ask from a 1.2L engined hatch. After all, the K12M is not the only 1.2 litre mill sporting a combined FE of above 15kmpl.
I just completed around 522km of city driving with a/c. And the reserve warning has come "on". Guess the kind of F.E i got this time. Around 13.5km/l. (Yes. You guessed wrong. Its a TDCi) I've got friends who claim to be getting 18-19 in city on their fiesta's. Team BHP test drive reports mention the City Mileage as around 14.5. Maybe all of them are right. There are quite a lot of factors involved when it comes to F.E. My "City" wont be yours and yours wont be another's. We all complain of Maruti giving us crappy tyres on their cars. I bet they do that to gain maximum F.E numbers with those Skinny Tyres.

As a thumb rule i would expect only around 12-14 in city and 15-17 on highways for a petrol 1.2 car. Anything more is just sheer luck i would say. On diesels this could be around 13-15 in city and 17-19 on highways. Buying a car expecting more than this would just give you heart burns. Just my opinion. Again i am telling you, if F.E is a high priority you should go for the KB Series.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:59   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always stop at the auto cutoff. I never fill more than that no matter what.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:04   #1693
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
RGK, it is better to stop at 1st cut-off, though there is also a 2nd auto-off, if I am not wrong. Also, IMO, leaving some space inside the tank instead of filling upto the brim, allows the fuel to have some sloshing space. FE calculation will be consistent as well.
Yes Sanjay...
FE will be more or less the same with autocutoff or to the brim. But do you really need sloshing space. Will it not get created if you drive 10-20kms.
Sometimes the auto cutoff is not accurate if the pump man fills fast, and the fuel retaliates hits the needle inside the nozzle enabling the auto cut off.
But more or less the FE will be consistent.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:24   #1694
BHPian

That statement worries me a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
As a thumb rule i would expect only around 12-14 in city and 15-17 on highways for a petrol 1.2 car. Anything more is just sheer luck i would say. On diesels this could be around 13-15 in city and 17-19 on highways. Buying a car expecting more than this would just give you heart burns. Just my opinion. Again i am telling you, if F.E is a high priority you should go for the KB Series.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:33   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sanjay...
FE will be more or less the same with autocutoff or to the brim. But do you really need sloshing space. Will it not get created if you drive 10-20kms.
Sometimes the auto cutoff is not accurate if the pump man fills fast, and the fuel retaliates hits the needle inside the nozzle enabling the auto cut off.
But more or less the FE will be consistent.
FE has got nothing to do with stopping at auto-cutoff or filling to the brim. I think you are getting it mixed up buddy..FE means kms/litre whereas auto-cutoff/filling up to the brim will mean more fuel in the tank and hence more distance covered.

Well it's a personal choice whether you want to fill till it overflows. But, there must be a reason why auto-cut offs are provided.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks