Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 16:22   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@Mustang/Brix - Generic question
---How Lxi,Exi,Zxi are classified during production. My friend says cars having excellent finish (zero defect) will be moved to top end - Zxi, very less defect will be categorised as Zxi, and less defect will be branded as Lxi...
He says this is common across all manufacturers..
Is this true and if not then how are they done..
RGK, pardon me for butting in but what your friend told you is absolute BS. In fact I had a hearty laugh after reading it. Does your friend work in the car industry?
Old 7th April 2010, 16:24   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Processors are graded in a similar fashion But we are talking cars here.

Last edited by poloman : 7th April 2010 at 16:26.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:29   #1593
BHPian

Processors? You mean like Intel/AMD ones? Didnt quite understand what is the context?

@RGK, going by your friend's logic, then lot of defective cars should be produced to meet the demands for lower trims;-}...let's not float unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:31   #1594
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
What? Are u kidding? Lxi/Exi/Zxi should be classified based on trim/equipment levels..what has that got to do with finishing?

Does that mean the same color on 2 separate levels will differ in terms of finishing? Don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerala View Post
Thats funny question.

Tell your friend that don't consider cars as government rice and retail store rice.
I have seen these types of things in ration rice and retail shop rice.

If there is one defect, then it will rectified before going out of factory. Only the top end has more feature, thats the difference.

Your friend might have see fords caption "Feel the difference" and thought their cars also had difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
RGK, pardon me for butting in but what your friend told you is absolute BS. In fact I had a hearty laugh after reading it. Does your friend work in the car industry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Processors are graded in a similar fashion But we are talking cars here.
Thats what - on what basis rather parameters they are segregated..
@mkerala - defect in the sense - that end user cannot identify... Do you steel vessels look alike - My uncle differentiated easily that some of them are not done in one sheet by naked eye, where as we felt no difference
Old 7th April 2010, 16:33   #1595
BANNED

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add zero value to the forum. Also, your posts are terribly written and have plenty of spelling / grammatical errors. Do proof-read your posts prior to submission.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2010 at 17:07.
mkerala is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th April 2010, 16:36   #1596
Senior - BHPian

mkerala this is no laughing matter.
These are trade secrets which companies won't like outside world to know.So I can't explain any further.

Last edited by poloman : 7th April 2010 at 16:37.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:38   #1597
BANNED

Quote:
@mkerala - defect in the sense - that end user cannot identify... Do you steel vessels look alike - My uncle differentiated easily that some of them are not done in one sheet by naked eye, where as we felt no difference
A good company appoints people like mustang to check for quality issues.

You have heard about recent vehicle recalls by maruti, honda, toyota. This is because they need vehicles they make to be defect free.

I think mustang can handle this topic much better than us. He is from quality control department.

@Mustang: Look at here someone has raised an argument against your department and ford. Or he mention whole automobile industry?

Last edited by mkerala : 7th April 2010 at 16:40.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:43   #1598
BHPian

Am not sure about these cars/processors...I mean, cars/processors are manufactured by handful of reputed companies with initial investments running into millions of dollars..Am I supposed to believe these companies can risk all for the sake of trade secrets, which anyway, in this day & age, are hardly trade secrets. If I am an employee involved in such a company following such practices, IMO, I will be tempted to make enough $$$ by revealing such stuff.

C'mon, we are not talking of magic here..even those secrets are being revealed on TV shows.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:46   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Sanjay can you tell me how a 3Ghz and 2.5Ghz processor is different? Same company, same family.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:47   #1600
RGK
Senior - BHPian

There are some parameters or some critical values which may decide the version of the vehicle. Even may not be defects. but what is the deciding factor of differentiation..
End user like us may not know.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:52   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Sanjay can you tell me how a 3Ghz and 2.5Ghz processor is different? Same company, same family.
I am no expert on these..will wait for you to throw some light. From a layman's perspective like me, it is the clock speed/cache etc that will differ. Are you trying to suggest that a defective 3Ghz will be packaged as a acceptable 2.5 Ghz and sold?

Last edited by sanjayc : 7th April 2010 at 16:54.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:59   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know how but for comparison sake - Some Mercs for eg have a similar engine but at different tuning levels for diff power outputs. Doesn't mean that the lower powered one is of poor quality.

My god! This thread has seen it all
Old 7th April 2010, 17:00   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What segregation? These are not apples and oranges where they are segregated into different baskets based on the size and quality. A production line, on a certain day, will be set up to manufacture a particle variant like EXi Petrol, or ZXi Diesel etc. It's probably even more complicated when the line is shared with another car like the Fiesta. They don't randomly make vehicles and decide to call them EXi and LXi based on the QC!

So going by your logic, if a LXi has zero defects, it will be badged as Titanium. So the LXi will go back into the line to get the missing features like ABS and Airbags? And what if the ABS is then found to be defective? It gets downgraded to ZXi and goes back into the line to remove the airbags?

In fact I would go ahead and say that the probability of a defect on the top end version is more due to the additional features and complexity.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th April 2010 at 17:19.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:02   #1604
BHPian

hmm.. if what poloman is suggesting is true.. it would be quite a revealation. So far, I could only think of Agricultural produce where distinction based on size and quality_of_finish can be made.

A question to RGK's friend: what if a feature designed only for top-end model (say, airbags, rear-wiper) is found to be defective in a car. Could ford sell it as LXI/EXI and tell the customer "don't mind the non-working airbag"?

Last edited by scanD : 7th April 2010 at 17:06.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:05   #1605
Senior - BHPian

I think this is going out of topic!

Most Viewed