Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 11:13   #9091
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
I couldn't put myself to rest though and got down to check if I could myself find something amiss through a visual inspection. To my horror, found a hole in the air intake pipe in the spot indicated by the red arrow in the first picture. The hole is big enough to be felt by probing the underside of the duct with your finger.

The arrow in the second picture shows where you would need to put your hand in, so that you can reach the spot that I am referring to. Please note that the duct that I am referring to is not visible in this picture.
Cover that hole with a duct tape and check if the issue persists. This is way you can be sure if that hole is the cause.
Although I am curious how that hole was formed.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:42   #9092
BHPian

Re: Air Intake Duct Puncture - Lack of Engine Power - Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
Hi I have checked the same, there is no hole in the location you showed. So I guess the hole in the air intake pipe will be the cause for the engine power lacking.
Thanks Ashwin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Cover that hole with a duct tape and check if the issue persists. This is way you can be sure if that hole is the cause.
Although I am curious how that hole was formed.
Yes Tharian, that's what I did and took her for a spin on a expressway. The pickup issue seemed to have been sorted out. Will get the duct replaced this week.

Time now to investigate the booming noise which still persists.
sara.ramli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:58   #9093
BHPian

Quote:
The yellow arrow in the first picture shows the joint that was found loose and fixed. It still is not 100% tight and for now have used a couple of wire organizers to hold it tight in its place.

I took the car back to the service center yesterday for the lack of engine power and the resonating boom noise (@1500-1600 rpm). They failed to acknowledge the problem after doing a road test. While the SA almost bumped into a few vehicles and pedestrians, in the name of demonstrating that all is well with the vehicle's power, during the road test is a different story

I couldn't put myself to rest though and got down to check if I could myself find something amiss through a visual inspection. To my horror, found a hole in the air intake pipe in the spot indicated by the red arrow in the first picture. The hole is big enough to be felt by probing the underside of the duct with your finger.

While a hole there does not seem to be logically 'by design' to me, still wanted to take you fellow Figopians' help to confirm this. Can any one of you who has a few minutes to spare, confirm that you don't find (by probing) anything of this sort in your vehicle, please? Appreciate your help

The arrow in the second picture shows where you would need to put your hand in, so that you can reach the spot that I am referring to. Please note that the duct that I am referring to is not visible in this picture.
A hole is there in the bottom of the air inlet duct on the second section (6) as per your drawing.I checked with some other diesel figo's and found to be there.So something to do with the design and the hole is provided at the lowest point of the U shaped duct.idea may be to expel the water accumulated over time from moisture in the air.
Esu Junior is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 09:30   #9094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I have no idea how much the HMSL bulb costs, but 600 rupees is just way too much for a bulb (even with labour charges and tax). If the unit is an LED one, then it may be the case, but certainly not for a normal bulb.

My suggestion is a little D-I-Y if you have the time and a couple of simple tools. The owner's manual will usually show the procedure to remove the unit and replace the bulb.

You can take out the bulb, go to a Bosch parts dealer/Bosch Car Care centre and buy one of the same specification for some tens of rupees (it should cost less than Rs. 50 for sure). You can try any spare parts store, but they will have local makes which are usually of poor quality and won't last long. Genuine Bosch, Philips, Osram or other quality makes wouldn't cost much and last very long.

yeah i will make some time this week and try the D-I-Y route instead of solely depending on the A-S-S. i will check the owner's manual too, thanks
Sweet Chariot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 12:35   #9095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
A hole is there in the bottom of the air inlet duct on the second section (6) as per your drawing.I checked with some other diesel figo's and found to be there.So something to do with the design and the hole is provided at the lowest point of the U shaped duct.idea may be to expel the water accumulated over time from moisture in the air.
Thanks Esu Junior. My dad had the same explanation for it - that it could be a water drain. Apart from covering this hole, we did a few other minor fixes. Let me remove the tape covering and see if the engine power issue comes back. Will post back the results and probably our inference of what could have fixed the issue. *Fingers crossed*
Old 25th February 2014, 12:59   #9096
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure they fixed Air intake hose correctly which you have mentioned few posts back? I guess the booming noise is coming from that.

Coincidentally i faced similar issue when i took my car back from 30k service last weekend. Took the car back to SC and the guy who attended opened the bonnet and fiddle up with the Air intake pipe and find its not properly locked. He refitted it and the booming was gone. (Wondering what all left to properly fit back, these ASCs.. )

Attached picture for reference, he fixed (lock-it back) the pipe pointed by the arrow mark in the following picture (the locking point is below that bunch of wires). Attached two picture to identify where exactly you need to look.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20140225_123810.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20140225_123819.jpg  

DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 14:23   #9097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Coincidentally i faced similar issue when i took my car back from 30k service last weekend. Took the car back to SC and the guy who attended opened the bonnet and fiddle up with the Air intake pipe and find its not properly locked. He refitted it and the booming was gone. (Wondering what all left to properly fit back, these ASCs.. )

Attached picture for reference, he fixed (lock-it back) the pipe pointed by the arrow mark in the following picture (the locking point is below that bunch of wires). Attached two picture to identify where exactly you need to look.
Yes, it is exactly at the same position as yours where the pipe was found loose. Even after it was put in place by the SA, which brought down the engine noise to a large extent, we found that there still was a few mm of separation between the lips of either ducts - ideally they should be sticking to each other, isn't it? We did not see any locking clip / mechanism available to hold them together. Do you see such a minor gap at the joint? I'll try and post a picture shortly of what I am talking about.

For now, we have used some zip ties to hold them together and under tension.

P.S: Which SC was yours serviced at? Mine was at MPL Vadapalani.
Old 25th February 2014, 14:50   #9098
BHPian

Quote:

. Do you see such a minor gap at the joint? I'll try and post a picture shortly of what I am talking about.

For now, we have used some zip ties to hold them together and under tension.

P.S: Which SC was yours serviced at? Mine was at MPL Vadapalani.
I do see some gap which you can see in the 2nd picture.
Ok seems MPL vadapalani doing this for every customer.
Old 28th February 2014, 15:07   #9099
BHPian

Re: All is well

Quote:
Took the car to MPL Pallikaranai this morning, so that I could get a road stretch to demonstrate this booming noise to the SA. A veteran by name Meeran (in his 60s probably) was assigned for the road test. As soon as I explained my concern of this noise at the specific rpm band, he acknowledged it. He explained that one can hear it when the turbo starts spooling and is commonly observed in other TDCi engines as well. Just to confirm that both of us were talking about the same noise, we then took the road test and confirmed the same. Upon request, he also took me for a ride in another Figo and demonstrated the same. So may be I became a bit paranoid after finding the loose duct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
A hole is there in the bottom of the air inlet duct on the second section (6) as per your drawing.
Meeran also confirmed that this is designed to let out any solid/liquid waste that might get sucked in.

Quote:
Let me remove the tape covering and see if the engine power issue comes back.
The tape covering the hole was subsequently removed and I did not see any drop in engine power. We disassembled the entire air cleaner assembly, cleaned it (including the MAF sensor) and put them back together. That probably solved the engine power issue. So all is good for now.

Quote:
there still was a few mm of separation between the lips of either ducts
I checked another Fiesta which was parked in the SC with its hood open and found this few mm gap with it as well. So may be that's how it is designed and may not be a cause for worry.

Meeran did impress me with his technical knowhow as well, when he started talking about EGR and its necessity from both a fuel efficiency as well as emission control perspective. Probably I will be switching loyalties to MPL Pallikaranai for any future SC visits, though it is a good 20 kms away from my home.

Thanks folks for being with me, all along.
Old 28th February 2014, 16:46   #9100
BHPian

Folks, need your advice. Few days ago a squeaking noise from the dashboard had started coming (above the speedo & near the glove box area). The SA took it for a road test & advised that the airbag module needs to be checked & asked me to leave the car at the workshop on Monday.

I went home & rearranged the items in the glove box & kept a soft cloth at the bottom. The squeaking noise near the glove box stopped, but the noise above the speedo is still there, but not too prominent.

I am bit skeptical in letting the SA opening the dash to check the airbag module, as I fear they may not fix is back properly & this could start a chain of other noises from the dash. Should I tell the SA not to touch the airbag module but just check the noise above the speedo or should I just tell him that the issue is resolved now & let him close the job card at his end.
Old 2nd March 2014, 18:55   #9101
BHPian

Rs. 7K for 30k Service (Figo 1.4L )@ Lathangi Ford.. phew.. Guess its way too much.. any idea what should be general range?

Last edited by pious_devil : 2nd March 2014 at 18:56. Reason: Missed to give the vehicle details
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:59   #9102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
Rs. 7K for 30k Service (Figo 1.4L )@ Lathangi Ford.. phew.. Guess its way too much.. any idea what should be general range?
For me it was 4.7k for 30k service, I opted out wheel balancing/alignment. Anyways 7k seems high for sure. Check your bill for unnecessary inclusions.
Old 2nd March 2014, 20:59   #9103
BHPian

Today when i was driving the figo suddenly the cars acceleration stopped and was not even revving and was at idle rpm then i switched off the engine and started again for about 3 to 4 times and it again started to revv up. can anybody tell me the cause and reason for it. once it started i have driven 15 kms and no recurrence of the problem so far. thanks in advance
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:06   #9104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post
Today when i was driving the figo suddenly the cars acceleration stopped and was not even revving and was at idle rpm then i switched off the engine and started again for about 3 to 4 times and it again started to revv up.
Basically it went into Limp mode, did any of the error (Engine Check or Water in Diesel) show up before or during this?
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:48   #9105
BHPian

Re: All is well

Quote:
We disassembled the entire air cleaner assembly, cleaned it (including the MAF sensor) and put them back together. That probably solved the engine power issue.
Posted a picture of the MAF sensor's location here. Hope this helps others who want to go down the same DIY route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks