Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 11:26   #9841
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Guys, Whether 3rd year extended warranty covers Wheel bearing?
Left my car for 40k service (ODO is now ~39000). My car is on its 3rd year, bought it on Apr 2012.
They ramp up the car and showed me that the rear right wheel bearing is started giving noise.

According to ASC this is not covered under 3rd year extended warranty. Just want to cross verify..
Old 6th February 2015, 12:42   #9842
BHPian

With the temperature now going up in Hyderabad (finally!), the days of driving without A/C are almost over. I started switching ON the A/C for my commute since last week and I am noticing a difference. Sometimes when I am stationary, say at a traffic signal, I can hear the 'whirring' of the compressor loud and clear. It starts, and then stops in 10-15 secs.

I don't remember this happening earlier. My car is a 1.4 TDCi 2011 model that has run around 39k kms. I have got the 40k servicing done in Dec 2014.

1) Is this a common 'phenomenon'?

2) Do we need to refill the gas in the AC compressor? I don't think this was covered in the servicing. Is the above a sign of low gas?

Please let me know if you have any pointers.
Old 6th February 2015, 15:38   #9843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Guys, Whether 3rd year extended warranty covers Wheel bearing?
Left my car for 40k service (ODO is now ~39000). My car is on its 3rd year, bought it on Apr 2012.
They ramp up the car and showed me that the rear right wheel bearing is started giving noise.

According to ASC this is not covered under 3rd year extended warranty. Just want to cross verify..
I think it is covered.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3246286

Extended warranty does cover it unless the car has crossed 40k kms or vice versa.

You may have to look for a written document to show them that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
With the temperature now going up in Hyderabad (finally!), the days of driving without A/C are almost over. I started switching ON the A/C for my commute since last week and I am noticing a difference. Sometimes when I am stationary, say at a traffic signal, I can hear the 'whirring' of the compressor loud and clear. It starts, and then stops in 10-15 secs.

Are you sure it is not the cooling fan spinning? It creates quite a loud humm and raises the dust from the road in the process.
Old 6th February 2015, 16:40   #9844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Are you sure it is not the cooling fan spinning? It creates quite a loud humm and raises the dust from the road in the process.
If it was the cooling fan, it wouldn't stop after few seconds. Would it?
Old 6th February 2015, 18:22   #9845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
If it was the cooling fan, it wouldn't stop after few seconds. Would it?
Yes, it would. Most of the times the cooling fan kicks in when the compressor is running and turns off in few seconds depending on the engine cooling.

I suggest you let the car warm up and turn on the AC when the car is stationary and check under the hood if the sound you heard and the fan spinning coincides. This way you can be sure, although my guess is it is the fan itself.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 22:46   #9846
BHPian

Quote:
I think it is covered.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3246286

Extended warranty does cover it unless the car has crossed 40k kms or vice versa.

You may have to look for a written document to show them that it is.
Thanks @tharian for the information. Got a document from the other forum which lists out the parts covered under extended warranty, which clearly mentioned that wheel bearing is eligible for warranty replacement under 3rd year extended warranty and ODO less than 40k kms.

When i mentioned this to the ASC (MPL Ford, Vadapalani, Chennai) they said they got a revised circular from Ford and according to that wheel bearing is not eligible for warranty replacement on extended warranty .

I stand on my point and showed the document to them, later after some call they said they are waiving off the wheel bearing cost from the final bill and make it under loyalty claim. That saved me 2.5k.

So with that my Total bill for 40k service was ~6.5k and MPL did a commendable job.

I had two complaints. One, some rattling noise from front wheels on rough patches. Two, some squeaking noise from rear seat.

The guy who did the TD mentioned that greasing the break caliper will arrest the first issue and realigning the rear seat will sort the second.

He was right now after service the Car feels new and i'am a happy owner.
Old 9th February 2015, 13:25   #9847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @tharian for the information. Got a document from the other forum which lists out the parts covered under extended warranty, which clearly mentioned that wheel bearing is eligible for warranty replacement under 3rd year extended warranty and ODO less than 40k kms.

When i mentioned this to the ASC (MPL Ford, Vadapalani, Chennai) they said they got a revised circular from Ford and according to that wheel bearing is not eligible for warranty replacement on extended warranty .

I stand on my point and showed the document to them, later after some call they said they are waiving off the wheel bearing cost from the final bill and make it under loyalty claim. That saved me 2.5k.

Can you please share that other document urgently? I've given my Figo for 30 K service today and the SA told me that there was a mild humming from the left rear bearing. He also said it would not be covered by extended warranty and that it would cost 8000! I told him not to change. But now that I see this information, I will get back to him in case it is posted in time.
Old 9th February 2015, 14:40   #9848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Can you please share that other document urgently? I've given my Figo for 30 K service today and the SA told me that there was a mild humming from the left rear bearing. He also said it would not be covered by extended warranty and that it would cost 8000! I told him not to change. But now that I see this information, I will get back to him in case it is posted in time.
Please find the doc attached, It will give information about what covered and what not covered in extended warranty.
By the way 8k for rear left bearing? The one which went kaput on mine was rear right and ASC quoted some 2.5k+ 500/- for labor.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CERTIFICATE..doc (633.5 KB, 443 views)

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 9th February 2015 at 14:42.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 14:50   #9849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please find the doc attached, It will give information about what covered and what not covered in extended warranty.
By the way 8k for rear left bearing? The one which went kaput on mine was rear right and ASC quoted some 2.5k+ 500/- for labor.
Thanks! 8 k was a ball park figure, but when my right rear was changed under warranty when the car was less than a year old, I was told that I'd saved around 5 K. I wonder how there is so much variation.

It looks like Ford has given shoddy wheel bearings on the Figo, going by two issues reported on my car in the past 2 years. On the contrary, my 8-year old Fiesta has had no such issues, and has proved to be quite reliable.
Old 9th February 2015, 15:03   #9850
BHPian

Quote:
By the way 8k for rear left bearing?
Quote:
Thanks! 8 k was a ball park figure,
8k is apparently for ABS vehicles. I had my right rear wheel bearing changed few months back. When I asked why it was so expensive, the SA said for ABS vehicles it is more because they have to lathe it. I didnt enquire more.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 15:58   #9851
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! 8 k was a ball park figure, but when my right rear was changed under warranty when the car was less than a year old, I was told that I'd saved around 5 K. I wonder how there is so much variation.

It looks like Ford has given shoddy wheel bearings on the Figo, going by two issues reported on my car in the past 2 years. On the contrary, my 8-year old Fiesta has had no such issues, and has proved to be quite reliable.
Ok yes i forgot that, for ABS equipped vehicle the wheel bearing is bit more pricey as mentioned by DeepBlue.

Yes wheel bearing is a known issue with Figo. In my case too the front wheel bearing went kaput in less than 20K ODO.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 16:12   #9852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
8k is apparently for ABS vehicles. I had my right rear wheel bearing changed few months back. When I asked why it was so expensive, the SA said for ABS vehicles it is more because they have to lathe it. I didnt enquire more.
Was you car under warranty? If yes, was it replaced free of charge?

I forwarded the document that Drive_Addict shared to the service center, but they said they needed time to cross-check, especially because they'd refused similar claims in the recent past based on a circular from Ford India. I believe they'd given a discount of around 30% to the aggrieved parties.

I told them not to replace the part as I'd not complained in the first place. I said I'd take it up with them after they were clear on the correct position.

I also declined a suggestion to replace the front brake pads and said I'd do it in the next service. I'd not sensed any lack in the brake feel so far. This apart, my Fiesta's front rotors and brake pads were changed only when the odo was around 46 K.

By the way, how many owners changed their front brake pads at 30 K kms? And how much was the cost?
Old 9th February 2015, 20:13   #9853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also declined a suggestion to replace the front brake pads and said I'd do it in the next service. I'd not sensed any lack in the brake feel so far. This apart, my Fiesta's front rotors and brake pads were changed only when the odo was around 46 K.

By the way, how many owners changed their front brake pads at 30 K kms? And how much was the cost?
I am surprised they did not suggest replacing the rotors as well or only the rotors instead of the pads.

My last two services (28k and 34k kms), they said the rotors needs to be replaced due to scratches. I took the SA and made him slide his fingers on the disc and he still did not want to agree that the discs were okay.

I instead asked him to replace the pads which he did not agree to do. I did not want to make a scene and there was nothing wrong with the braking either , so left it at that.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 20:22   #9854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Here is the break up for right rear wheel bearing change:

Parts:
Nut wheel - 22.94
Kit for wheel bearing - 5628.57
Cap-Rear wheel hub - 97.97
Bolt M12 wheel hub - 60.15
Lock washer - 780.16

Labour :
Rear wheel bearing R&R - 248
Wheel bearing pressing sublet operations - 150

VAT - 955.52
S Tax - 49.19
Total - 7993

Whopping 8000 bucks for changing wheel bearing. The taxes themselves a painful 1000. Ford Figo parts are not exactly cheap as marketed ( all the hoopla about child parts ) I guess even a single wheel cap costs close to a 1000 rs.

The lock washer is supposedly the extra thingy for ABS cars.
Quote:
Was you car under warranty? If yes, was it replaced free of charge?
It was out of warranty and somwhere at 60k.
I have requoted my earlier post showing the breakup.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 20:26   #9855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised they did not suggest replacing the rotors as well or only the rotors instead of the pads.

My last two services (28k and 34k kms), they said the rotors needs to be replaced due to scratches. I took the SA and made him slide his fingers on the disc and he still did not want to agree that the discs were okay.

I instead asked him to replace the pads which he did not agree to do. I did not want to make a scene and there was nothing wrong with the braking either , so left it at that.
It's good that you stood your ground. But who is he to not agree on changing only the pads? After all it is your car and your desire.

In my case, he said only the pads can be changed and not the rotors. The service report showed all items in green with only the front brake pads and left rear wheel bearing in yellow.

The 30 K service cost me Rs 5625 which included engine oil, oil filter, AC filter and diesel filter changes, apart from labour charges.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks